Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

I can't bring myself to even start reading that interview.

9 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I swear, I should pull transcripts, Guza and Wolfe and Ron and Jelly have given almost identical sound bites about the Q's that never came to fruition.

You know what, maybe it's ABC that keeps them from doing anything with the Q's. Because you're totally right, every headwriter in recent years has trotted out the same lines about the Q's and they never come to fruition.

• Love 3

JEAN: Liz is a very worthy character.

So, they decided to stick her with the worst character ever. I hope Rebecca demanded more money for this shit. 

SHELLY: We put them now into a domestic situation, knowing that they will never be domesticated.  This is a couple that is not your “average” couple.

Yes. This is what I have always wanted as Jasam fan. It's not like I liked strong and occasionally bitchy Sam or Jason doing anything other than walking around town. Nope, I really wanted them domesticated and always at Kelly's or other people's houses and without their child most of the time./Sarc

Seriously, they are the worst. 

• Love 10

"In terms of the writing of it, we started the groundwork of it without realizing what we set the groundwork for"

It seems like this is standard operating procedure with TFGH.

"I think Maurice and Laura are such magnificent actors that the silent scene when Sonny tells Carly what’s happened, and that it was shot through a window, and the audience couldn’t hear the dialog, but you knew everything these two people were feeling and saying.  I thought that was pretty stellar."

Yeah, I thought it was pretty stellar the first time I saw the exact same scene in Buffy The Vampire Slayer when Jenny Calendar was killed, and again when Buffy told Dawn their Mom died.

"One of the great things you have with a soap opera that has been on for decade is a lot of history"

One of the greater things you have with a soap opera that has been on for decades is to, I don't know, use that history? I'm sorry, I couldn't make it all the way thru the article, I'm already sick with the flu, I couldn't make myself sicker by reading the whole thing. Kudos to all who got through the whole thing! Damn, do they actually believe the things they say about this show? I might think TFGH was good if I didn't watch it.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, tveyeonyou said:

"I think Maurice and Laura are such magnificent actors that the silent scene when Sonny tells Carly what’s happened, and that it was shot through a window, and the audience couldn’t hear the dialog, but you knew everything these two people were feeling and saying.  I thought that was pretty stellar."

Yeah, I thought it was pretty stellar the first time I saw the exact same scene in Buffy The Vampire Slayer when Jenny Calendar was killed, and again when Buffy told Dawn their Mom died.

Or when Lucky told Liz about Jake's "death" on this show, even.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, tveyeonyou said:

They're not claiming this is original. I thought that was a very effective scene. I shudder to think how bad the dialogue would have been and how much trouble MB would have had with it. Going silent was the way to go, IMO.

I'm sure MB will get an Emmy nom, but LW has been doing the real heavy lifting, as isn't unusual. If she doesn't get a nom (and I'd say she could win), it will be a true travesty.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

They're not claiming this is original.

Frank did:

That was already in the script.  When we read it we loved it, and it was pretty powerful. It is very untraditional in what is usually a typical soap moment when someone has to deliver bad news.  I felt this was a very fresh take on it. 

Meanwhile, isn't that exactly how Liz found out from Lucky that Jake was "dead"?  I feel like it must have happened at least once on OLTL too. 

I mean, it was an effective choice for that Sonny/Carly scene, but don't pretend it's something so dazzling fresh and unseen before.

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I mean, it was an effective choice for that Sonny/Carly scene, but don't pretend it's something so dazzling fresh and unseen before.

At the end of the day though, it all felt flat (and I'm not saying any of you guys are disagreeing, just pointing it out) because the writing refused and still does refuse, to point out how unlikable Morgan had become. No one talks about how it was a tragedy because it was a young man who still could have had time to reform. No, it was a tragedy because he already was an awesome young man, except he reeeally wasn't. I wouldn't expect Carly or Sonny to react that way, but Jason, Sam, Bobbie, it would be nice for any of them to kind of talk about that among themselves.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 8

The canonization of Morgan is annoying, though I guess kinda understandable.  I think they undercut their "grand umbrella story" more by immediately eliminating any responsibility of Sonny's.  As I've mentioned before, Sonny has made not one mention of leaving the mob, even though it indirectly got his son killed.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 7
51 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

The only thing not average about Jason and Sam is his job. Or at least his job when he was a hit man. I don't know what he is now. 

Now his official job description is, I believe, "Everyone's Buddy."  

5 minutes ago, ulkis said:

At the end of the day though, it all felt flat (and I'm not saying any of you guys are disagreeing, just pointing it out) because the writing refused and still does decline to point out how unlikable Morgan had become. No one talks about how it was a tragedy because it was a young man who still could have had time to reform. No, it was a tragedy because he already was an awesome young man, except he reeeally wasn't. I wouldn't expect Carly or Sonny to react that way, but Jason, Sam, Bobbie, it would be nice for any of them to kind of talk about that among themselves.

I completely agree.  There should be some acknowledgement from someone close to him that they had hoped to see him straighten things out, become the man they believed he could be.  Jason would be ideal for this, because he's never really seen anyone with rose colored glasses.  He may forgive and/or put up with a lot of shit, but he never really kids himself about who the people in his life are or sugarcoats it.  If he wasn't so busy being Everyone's Buddy, he could have a conversation with Sam about how, when Morgan was a little kid, he seemed like he was going to grow up away from the business, get an education, be more like Jax (an acknowledgement that Jason would grudgingly make, because he's always been good at those regretful grudging acknowledgements after someone dies).   It would be very in character for Jason to blame himself for not getting to Morgan quickly enough that night, not getting him away from the car fast enough, and he'd feel guilty that Morgan didn't get a chance to get a hold of his bipolar and straighten out his life.  

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I think they undercut their "grand umbrella story" more by immediately eliminating any responsibility of Sonny's. 

Did they ever. This story was only ever interesting if Sonny's bloodymindedness to get revenge on Julian had a real, lasting consequence. Instead we have to watch Jason, Sam, and Curtis ineptly stumble onto clues and try to figure out what they all mean. It's painful to watch them try to put two and two together. It's so forced to not make anyone look dumb. (And instead it makes everyone look dumb.)

28 minutes ago, KerleyQ said:

Now [Jason's] official job description is, I believe, "Everyone's Buddy."  

I can see his business cards now: "Ask me how I can be your pal!"

43 minutes ago, ulkis said:

No one talks about how it was a tragedy because it was a young man who still could have had time to reform.

Even Michael could have admitted this, if not to Sonny and Carly. It's not speaking ill of the dead to acknowledge Morgan had been having a rough time of it lately. It could make his death more poignant, because of the regret that he didn't have time to pull himself together. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, magnolia11 said:

Or when Lucky told Liz about Jake's "death" on this show, even.

This was also done on the soap, Santa Barbara in the '80s; I believe it was a Cruz and Eden scene of some sort, maybe when Cruz told Eden their baby "died". ER also used it in the gut-punch episode [I think] "Love's Labor Lost". Artsy way of doing a scene, but effective. But TIIC at GH need to stop talking like they invented the technique.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

This was also done on the soap, Santa Barbara in the '80s; I believe it was a Cruz and Eden scene of some sort, maybe when Cruz told Eden their baby "died". ER also used it in the gut-punch episode [I think] "Love's Labor Lost". Artsy way of doing a scene, but effective. But TIIC at GH need to stop talking like they invented the technique.

TPTB suffer from delusions of grandeur. Please stop victim blaming.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

They wrote out Jax by saying Lady Jane was sick; I wonder if they knew BT was ailing and it was a little nod to that. It'd be nice if the show acknowledged her death.

I suggested that as a possibility and someone (not on this board) said it would be tacky and in poor taste if they did. Not sure I follow that logic and agree with you that it would be nice for the show to acknowledge her passing. A simple line from Carly about how Joss was so glad she was able to spend time with her grandmother before she passed. And that she'll be staying with Jax for a while longer because of it.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

Kate Hall (writer) is back. (Are we allowed to embed links yet?)

I'm surprised they let her come back after leaving for Y&R.

Edited by ulkis
6 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Why should I be happy about this? TIA.

I mean, she definitely wasn't perfect, but she was probably the best scriptwriter under Ron. I was bummed when she left for Y&R.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I mean, she definitely wasn't perfect, but she was probably the best scriptwriter under Ron. I was bummed when she left for Y&R.

There was a best writer under Ron!? When and where and what scene and ....

I'll leave you alone. 

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

There was a best writer under Ron!? When and where and what scene and ....

I'll leave you alone. 

;) She wrote the episodes where Robin interrupted Patrick and Sabrina's wedding. Also she wrote under Wolf and I can think up some Lante scenes she wrote, but I'm sure she wrote a decent Scrubs scenes under him too.

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, ulkis said:

;) She wrote the episodes where Robin interrupted Patrick and Sabrina's wedding. Also she wrote under Wolf and I can think up some Lante scenes she wrote, but I'm sure she wrote a decent Scrubs scenes under him too.

Me when you mention Scrubs: :)

Me remembering that I miss them: :(

Me remembering that I'm happy they're gone: :D

• Love 8

I think Sally Sussman may have dismissed her from Y&R (and hopefully others, like Amanda Beall - so many ABC-style voices not suited for that show).

I'll take anyone that pre-dates Frankenron, tbh

• Love 5

I guess when JT says "I love my job", the "(thank God I'm not on GH anymore!  Oh praise Jesus!)" is silent and simply implied.  

On another note, I die laughing a little whenever a daytime soap kisses its own ass for killing off a character.  "Oh we did it in such a heartfelt and innovative way!"   Bullshit.  Hello, constant misery is pretty much all that happens to the characters anymore!  I mean, Morgan was a dumbass and I couldn't care less about Sonny and Carly or their pain ... but who in the soap audience at this point is like "oh pleeeeaaaase more death and sad wailing!  Pretty please!"

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Badsamaritan said:

I saw the Tristan Rogers tweets and retweeted them myself. He was savage about GH and I LOVED it lol!

After what they did to Fiona Hughes' Anna, I am sure whether he shows up and is respectful or whether he slags them as they deserve, he knows his character will get trashed one way or another, just like Guza did to his character when he returned from the dead. At least he won't be forced to play out the further nonsensical desecration of his character. I am all for professionalism, but also agree with the emerging sentiment why should employees go above and beyond with companies now only doing the bare minimum with zero loyalty? The one thing FV, Ron, JFP, Guza and Jelly can't take away from him is that he is more responsible for GH being on the air right now than all of them combined.

• Love 4

Yep.  The only reasons this show is allowed to keep dragging itself along are the goodwill built up from back in the day when it was decent (and TR and FH's popularity was a big part of that) ... and the fact that they haven't yet figured out a cheap replacement people will actually watch.  

It's interesting that she has basically made the choice that Anna doesn't have to have a love interest/Fin doesn't want one and "isn't good at it" and the show seems to have allowed her to make that choice. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

I think she's just taken a look at the way Jelly writes love stories and made the smart choice for her character

I agree. I don't want to see Anna stuck in a deadly dull triangle with André and Jordan or have her get involved with Nina and Valentin. Anna is better off by herself these days. I'd love to see her friendship with Mac and Felicia, but I think they've already met their minimums for the year with Maxie's non-wedding.

• Love 4
Just now, dubbel zout said:

Anna is better off by herself these days.

I think she's better off-screen. I don't think they've found anything that works for her and this Valentin/Charlotte/Griffin/Nina stuff she's in is horrible. And now she wants to work with RoHo. Lawd.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, LeftPhalange said:

Anna is going to end up being Freako's next cheerleader girlfriend. 

These actors have no clue. They don't even care about what makes sense anymore. It's just "I want to work with so-and-so." IDC.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

These actors have no clue. They don't even care about what makes sense anymore. It's just "I want to work with so-and-so." IDC.

if FH likes RoHo so much she can hang out with him offscreen. Does she not understand how trashed her character already is?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, HeatLifer said:

I know Finola used to care, even during this stint. But saying she wants to work with RoHo, I know now she has officially stopped. Sigh.

1 hour ago, Sake614 said:

well who is on the show that she could possibly be paired with at this point? Scummy?

They could try Finn. She and Easton had good chemistry when he was McBain. Also she should be having an affair with Griffin. Although technically I guess it wouldn't be an affair seeing as they're both free.

Supposedly Finola doesn't want to be paired with a younger man though, not even one Easton's age. @Francie if you're out there can you confirm or deny this?

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 4