Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

I think working with John J. York (Mac).  I think John is underutilized and should be used more.  I think he is something that GH doesn’t have.  I think the audience feels very, very comfortable seeing him.  He makes people on set warm and fuzzy.  I think he is a fantastic man, and he has paid his dues in a lot of ways.  I feel he has a lot more to give. He is a very feeling guy.  I think when the audience sees he is on screen, they feel that everything is all right if Mac is there.

Well, of course.   Mac is a good guy.   Ron had no interest in that.  He couldn't think of a way to make Mac "edgy" (i.e., ruin him - see Liz, Nik, Dante, Duke, Anna) or make him an idiot cypher to serve one of his perverse stories (see Patrick, Sam ... actually, maybe Anna goes here).    So we haven't seen much of Mac.

I don't think Ron really had much interest in Patrick, either.  He certainly didn't have much interest in the character's integrity.  

I still can't believe Ron was allowed to continue ruining the show for as long as he did.   Like, at no point in 2014 or in 2015 did any of the adults allegedly in charge of this mess read his scripts and have a reaction similar to this:

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 2

JT's exit interview was a good read. This part is interesting:

The new writers haven't used him any less, or made him any less a piece of cardboard, than Ron C., so I'm curious about these changes.

Also, this part:

All true. Mac and Felicia both are underutilized and have such a rich history with GH. I don't understand why they're not used to drive story. Probably because they're not Sonny and Carly.

Ron gave Mac & Felicia story (Frisco's return, Maxie's pregnancy, Peter Harrel, the mayoral race), he just barely let them be on screen for any of it.

And honestly as a Mac, Felicia, and Mac & Felicia fan, I'm glad they were largely kept off-screen. He undid Guza's hatchet job on Flea, and somehow they both managed to escape being ruined by Ron. I think only Mac & Flea and maybe Monica made it out unscathed.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 5

I've said this from the moment it was speculated JT would go to YR as Billy that they would end up putting him with Gina Tognoni's Phyllis, and I'm still calling it, even though JT and AH got the cover. They want the audience to associate him to the role so I understand why his first pics as Billy are with her. But mark my words, Billy and Phyllis are on the horizon.

• Love 1

Ugh. One of my favorite things about GT's Phyllis is her adoration of Jack. MS's obvious preference for JM and "phick" annoyed the crap outta me because I've only ever liked Phyllis with Jack

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 4

AH is a chemistry void (at least when she was on AMC) and soooo low energy.  Hopefully JT will either bring out the best in her or he won't be with her for long.  There's a lot of faces on Y&R that I recognize from ABC soaps - Peter Bergman, Steve Burton, Kelly Sullivan, Melissa Claire Egan, Gina Tognoni, Tristan Rogers, Amerlia Heinle, soon Jason Thompson, and Michael E. Knight (no idea he was working again).  Oh, and Eileen Davidson from Days.

Topic?  GH was up in the ratings for the week of December 14 - 18.  The Scorpio effect again, with a little Johnny thrown in for good measure?

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 2

AH is a chemistry void (at least when she was on AMC) and soooo low energy. Hopefully JT will either bring out the best in her or he won't be with her for long.

Given his utter failure to even attempt to bring out anything with the similarly low-energy KeMo (and KeMo doesn't suffer from lack of chemistry), I highly doubt it.

Michael Logan grades the daytime soaps on diversity: http://www.tvinsider.com/article/62966/grading-the-daytime-soaps-on-diversity/

I think he graded GH too high.  Sure, they cast two African-American actors, but Andre (when's the last time we even saw him?) and Curtis are hardly driving story.  His points about Jordan, TJ, and Brad, however, I agree with.

ETA...oh, and I saw this mentioned on Twitter, Logan doesn't even mention the bad job the show did with the racial profiling "story" re: TJ.  I totally forgot that "story" even happened!

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2

Yeah. There's literally one gay couple in GH that's disappeared because of "reasons". They did have Black People Wednesdays, where Ron used to trot out the few black characters, which consisted for most of 2015, of:

Jordan- town thought she was an ex drug dealer, but she was DEA. Also, she worked for the mob. Despite showing lots of chemistry with white Julian, she was paired with fellow black character, Shawn.

Shawn- ex con, now con, hit man, Ron rewrote his entire background of being a teacher, Marine and gave him a long lost kid that's really a Quartermaine, oh and he doesn't have PTSD- he killed his friend, oh and he doesn't cook because why be your own boss when Sonny can be your boss?

TJ- Dated Molly, tried to have sex with Molly, tried to buy earrings for Molly, got arrested for being black, really likes Sonny, played by a good actor (seriously, Mo, Billy, ask Tequan Richmond about professionalism. He's the one booking prime time gigs, guys.) Is Jordan's son. Allegedly Shawn's son. Still think he's a Quartermaine. Has a job. Goes to college. Apparently scares Dante.

Epiphany- dates Milo. Is a nurse and a physical therapist. Can sing. Too nice to Sonny.

Felix- Dates a reporter we never see. It's probably his imaginary friend. Is the most annoying character ever.

Dr. Hot wasn't cast till the end of the year till they realized that JT was leaving. Curtis, imo, was just luck. They better hang on to them. But can we get more development than just Wednesdays? B&B took a chance and kinda won. At least this round.

• Love 1

Yeah. There's literally one gay couple in GH that's disappeared because of "reasons". They did have Black People Wednesdays, where Ron used to trot out the few black characters, which consisted for most of 2015, of:

Jordan- town thought she was an ex drug dealer, but she was DEA. Also, she worked for the mob. Despite showing lots of chemistry with white Julian, she was paired with fellow black character, Shawn.

Shawn- ex con, now con, hit man, Ron rewrote his entire background of being a teacher, Marine and gave him a long lost kid that's really a Quartermaine, oh and he doesn't have PTSD- he killed his friend, oh and he doesn't cook because why be your own boss when Sonny can be your boss?

TJ- Dated Molly, tried to have sex with Molly, tried to buy earrings for Molly, got arrested for being black, really likes Sonny, played by a good actor (seriously, Mo, Billy, ask Tequan Richmond about professionalism. He's the one booking prime time gigs, guys.) Is Jordan's son. Allegedly Shawn's son. Still think he's a Quartermaine. Has a job. Goes to college. Apparently scares Dante.

Epiphany- dates Milo. Is a nurse and a physical therapist. Can sing. Too nice to Sonny.

Felix- Dates a reporter we never see. It's probably his imaginary friend. Is the most annoying character ever.

Dr. Hot wasn't cast till the end of the year till they realized that JT was leaving. Curtis, imo, was just luck. They better hang on to them. But can we get more development than just Wednesdays? B&B took a chance and kinda won. At least this round.

Don't forget when TJ arrived he was illiterate. Molly helped him learn to read. Marine dad and law enforcement mom didn't notice.

GH gets an F in my book. Only Brad has housing. None of the POC have homes, their own POV or drive story. They are interchangeable parts of others stories. Black people have to interact and only date each other. The non action on the Jordan/Julian chemistry was a crime.

• Love 5

Actually, Jordan has that sweet apartment on the docks. Considering that this show sticks legacy characters on hotels, boats, with stalkers, or in parks.... that's kind of an upgrade. I blocked out the first TJ, but I now remember that he partied and stuff. So um, Alexis hated him. How could you hate Chris Rock's brother, Drew?

• Love 1

I think GH has always been traditionally been one of the worst, if not the worst, soap when it comes to diversity. Yes, there was Bryan and Claudia and Tom and Simone, but it's not like they ever had the biggest stories on the show (hell, the former couple probably barely had ANY story that belonged exclusively to them--and didn't Tom & Simone wind up divorced, anyway? He was involved with Felicia by the time he left in 1997).

I do give the Labines credit for creating the Wards, but it's not like they lasted, either (also: was there anybody who thought it was unfortunate that Keesha lost Jason to Robin after his accident because it meant losing a biracial couple? I mean, I know she moved on with AJ right afterwards, I was just wondering). And Gia and Taggert eventually disappeared, too.

Edited by UYI

Don't forget when TJ arrived he was illiterate. Molly helped him learn to read. Marine dad and law enforcement mom didn't notice.

GH gets an F in my book. Only Brad has housing. None of the POC have homes, their own POV or drive story. They are interchangeable parts of others stories. Black people have to interact and only date each other. The non action on the Jordan/Julian chemistry was a crime.

But um, Sonny adopted one black and hired another black to be his physical therapist. And black folk eat at Carly's restaurant! Edited by Tiger
  • Love 9
I guess they were aiming this cross-promotion right at me. Calm down though, ESPN. I said it already, I'm watching your playoff. You didn't have to subject the rest of everyone else to this.

Oh boy, that clip with all the awkward mentions of the playoffs was painful.   Do the people at ABC just try to think up new ways to handicap the actors?  "Well, we'll take away their rehearsal time ... and cut the scene length to 30 seconds so they can barely ramp up to any emotional display ... and allow the writers to write insane bullshit that they have to try and make work ... and then we'll make them do commercials in the middle of their lines!  Mwahahahaha!"  

• Love 4

Oh boy, that clip with all the awkward mentions of the playoffs was painful.   Do the people at ABC just try to think up new ways to handicap the actors?  "Well, we'll take away their rehearsal time ... and cut the scene length to 30 seconds so they can barely ramp up to any emotional display ... and allow the writers to write insane bullshit that they have to try and make work ... and then we'll make them do commercials in the middle of their lines!  Mwahahahaha!"  

More awkward than the Cheerios/Midol commercials DAYS basically forced their actors to do within a few of their scenes a few years back? That was pretty bad.

• Love 5

More awkward than the Cheerios/Midol commercials DAYS basically forced their actors to do within a few of their scenes a few years back? That was pretty bad.

DAYS has us all beat.

• Love 11

If it helps GH buy non-gray paint? I'm willing to listen to awkward commercials for ESPN on GH

• Love 4

The wimmins don't fare well when they're shackled to a Corinthos. Only Carly has managed to hang in there. All other women are gone—dead, fled, or, in the case of Lauren, shoved aside.

Edited by dubbel zout

I read that TC article like it was a coincidence. It seems they may have been trying to give their story some non-existent layers.

I wouldn't want to take credit for something that is set up like they pulled it out of their ass.

• Love 2

More awkward than the Cheerios/Midol commercials DAYS basically forced their actors to do within a few of their scenes a few years back? That was pretty bad

And the worst part? Mrs Brady runs a pub/restaurant and they still had her shilling that frozen Chinese food! Hilarious!

That clip from The Soup will never not make me crack up. Perfection.

I thought that whole scene about the playoffs was just embarrassing.

....is Teresa Castillo stupid?  Doesn't she realize it's in her best interest to be connected to a (sigh) core character like Michael, not Carrrrrrrrrrrrrrrlos?

Hee! Very true ...

Oh my God, Kimberly McCullough was pregnant and lost the baby at 22 weeks :(

http://kimberlymccullough.com/2015-year-end-wrap-up-the-discovery-of-dj-vellum-and-other-fun-facts-about-being-an-adult

My heart was so full and then it broke. I had lost my baby girl. It was too much. I didn’t need to learn this lesson. I wasn’t interested. But I wasn’t in control. These things happen and no, I don’t believe they happen “for a reason.” I’m still processing, still healing, but anyone who has gone through it knows, losing a baby at 22 weeks is tragic. One thing I am proud of however was that I allowed myself to be happy and to relish the moment. I sat in all that goodness and I can recall those feelings (when I’m having different ones) and hope that it can be like that again.

Edited by Box305
  • Love 1

KMc has always seemed private by nature, so I was shocked she shared something so heartbreakingly personal. Maybe because of slams about her body? Which is a horrible thought.

I am so sorry for her loss. Hopefully, should she still want a child, it will happen for her. Just goes to show that snap judgments can often not only be hurtful, but ignorant.

• Love 1