Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

Re: Kin Shriner, and on a holiday weekend too. Not the first time. Does FV think the internet is closed on weekends.

It's too bad, because KS actually said in an interview it was like they were kids in a Dickens novel saying, please sir, can we please have some more. He was obviously game for anything.

• Love 8
(edited)

Scottie and Laura are OUT.  Carly's real-life boyfriend is rewarded with a contract.  This same boyfriend who reads her Ayn Rand's Fountainhead as a celebratory measure for her recent emmy nomination.  Yikes.

Edited by sunnyface
  • Love 4
(edited)
12 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Forty years and only 500 episodes? I know he hasn't been a regular for years, but is that all?

There were several times over the years where he left--around 1980 or 1981 when he did the soap Texas, at one point in the mid-80's until he returned in 1987 or 1988, and then he left in late 1993 after Dominique's death, only returning in 1997 when Port Charles premiered. 

Edited by UYI
4 hours ago, sunnyface said:

Scottie and Laura are OUT.  Carly's real-life boyfriend is rewarded with a contract.  This same boyfriend who reads her Ayn Rand's Fountainhead as a celebratory measure for her recent emmy nomination.  Yikes.

If they're grown adults and enjoying that book, then I've just lost a lot of respect for them. Maybe she thought it would make them sound intellectual if she said he was reading a book to her (instead of having a celebratory boink) ,  and that's the first book that came to mind because, I dunno, she was looking at a water fountain or something. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, sunnyface said:

Of course.  But "hey he discovered him a parking lot"  It had nothing to do with screwing Wright.

(edited)
11 hours ago, ulkis said:

It's too bad, because KS actually said in an interview it was like they were kids in a Dickens novel saying, please sir, can we please have some more. He was obviously game for anything.

Yeah, I remember when Carly Schroeder came back as Serena for the Peter Hansen, we heard that he and possibly Lynn too had pitched the idea of that character coming back as a story avenue for Scotty and Lucy a bunch of times. 

But Frank obviously does not care.  And I mean, I get it, he can't acquiesce to every actor request, but dumping Genie and Kin back-to-back is suuuch a bad look when, again, he also just put his leading lady's boyfriend on contract in a frontburner role.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Hater said:

Of course.  But "hey he discovered him a parking lot"  It had nothing to do with screwing Wright.

Don't hurt me for saying this, but I really did like him a lot on Guiding Light back in the day. I can't speak to his work now, but he was good when I watched him.

...I'm in trouble, I know. *hides*

• Love 3

But Kin is on recurring. There is no reason why he had to be let go. It shouldn’t have cost Frank much to use Scott when he needed the character when some Franco propping was needed.

• Love 3
(edited)

I personally can't even weigh in on LWB/FS's performance itself because all I see the BTS garbage.  He's on our screens because he's dating Laura Wright - even if he would have been cast in this role if he had gone through a normal audition process, that's not what happened.  He ran into Frank Valentini at the john or whatever and the rest is history.  And not only is he on our screens, but his character has been retrofitted into the show as the son of one of its most popular legacy heroines and one of its most infamous villains.  And he's frontburner like whoa.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 9

And he's being forced into a maybe-romance with his brother's widow, which would be bad even if he wasn't partially responsible for that brother's death, but it's being pushed so hard that almost all of Maxie's scenes are with him. All to validate his position on the canvas.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, bannana said:

It would make a great movie storyline though.

It's super creepy. I hope someone presses charges against him. He's a predator.

2 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

he also just put his leading lady's boyfriend on contract in a frontburner role.

In a TERRIBLE story. I'd have a lot less anger if the story weren't so awful.

1 hour ago, nilyank said:

But Kin is on recurring. There is no reason why he had to be let go. It shouldn’t have cost Frank much to use Scott when he needed the character when some Franco propping was needed.

This is what I don't get. The guy is on the show as needed to begin with, but Frank goes to the trouble to tell him it's over? So tacky.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I personally can't even weigh in on LWB/FS's performance itself because all I see the BTS garbage.  He's on our screens because he's dating Laura Wright - even if he would have been cast in this role if he had gone through a normal audition process, that's not what happened.  He ran into Frank Valentini at the john or whatever and the rest is history.  And not only is he on our screens, but his character has been retrofitted into the show as the son of one of its most popular legacy heroines and one of its most infamous villains.  And he's frontburner like whoa.

I'm sorry, I won't bring it up again. I was just talking about my memories of him on GL. I'll stop. :)

The whole Scotty/Luke/Laura tale put this show on the freaking map. Whether Shriner was recurring or not, this sounds like a case of denting Frank's fragile ego (I read Shriner complained about the promo for the 55th anniversary) and getting the heave ho.

Meanwhile, we have newbies everywhere and base casting decisions on whom one of the leading ladies is boinking.

Flush this turd.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

The whole Scotty/Luke/Laura tale put this show on the freaking map. Whether Shriner was recurring or not, this sounds like a case of denting Frank's fragile ego (I read Shriner complained about the promo for the 55th anniversary) and getting the heave ho.

Meanwhile, we have newbies everywhere and base casting decisions on whom one of the leading ladies is boinking.

Flush this turd.

...Happy 55th Anniversary, GH? Today is the anniversary.

I haven't watched in a long time, but part of me would still be sad to see it go. In many ways it's the most iconic daytime soap in history, as its place in history is so unique, and while this might sound strange, I really do believe neither ABC nor NBC wants the distinction of being the first network to get rid of all of its soaps.

...Sorry, I know I ruined the mood. I really need to be mean more often. :)

• Love 1

FV is trash but I would bet good money that Nathan Varni has driven several of these decisions lately.   On top of it, he is the biggest liar.  You basically cannot trust one thing that man says in regards to the show.

3 hours ago, UYI said:

I'm sorry, I won't bring it up again. I was just talking about my memories of him on GL. I'll stop. :)

It's fine. A couple of us do like him. I go back and forth. I was expecting not to like him but I am okay with him. I wouldn't care if they recast him at all but he's okay.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, UYI said:

Hey, you do you UYI lol.  It's not like I don't have opinions that are contrarian, i.e. me stanning for Britt of all characters.

As for LWB/FS, I didn't watch "Guiding Light" or "Charmed" so I have no frame of reference for him.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, UYI said:

You really don't need to apologize for liking the actor. There's nothing wrong with that. I happen to like him, too.

8 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

At this point, I don't really get the hand-wringing over this. Yeah, at first when I heard LW's boyfriend got hired I thought it was a little odd, but at this point, I'm over it. Yes, it helps that I've liked WR in his previous work. Given how much of a tight-ass FV is I doubt LW made any demands over this. I'm not sure if we've ever gotten an exact explanation on how his casting came about, but I'd just assumed it's as simple as LW asking FV to consider her boyfriend for any roles that might come up and FV probably shrugging and deciding 'sure, why not he's hot enough.' It's not the worst thing in the world and it happens in every industry. WR is not the first actor who got a job because of who he knows. There have been a lot of actors who were plucked off the street because a casting director or producer or whoever just liked their look or something stood out about them. I seriously wonder if the people acting like this is so offensive feel like this every time nepotism happens. Like if Genie Francis had gotten Jonathan Frakkes a job on the show, would people have been similarly upset? The only time it bothers me is if the person is clearly unqualified (The Trump kids, Sofia Coppola in  The Godfather, Part 3.) It's not like auditioning always leads to the cream of the crop of the crop being hired (looking at you Ryan Paevey.)

• Love 4
17 hours ago, sunnyface said:

This is real? I don't even know how to react to this. 

1 hour ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

if the people acting like this is so offensive feel like this every time nepotism happens. Like if Genie Francis had gotten Jonathan Frakkes a job on the show, would people have been similarly upset? 

Speaking for myself? Yes. I just think actors should have a purpose before they are cast, for one thing. Frank? Runs into these people in supermarkets and parking lots and throws them in the mix with zero forethought, and it shows. These plot points are pulled out of the collective writers' asses because Frank wants friends/names.

I think all four soaps have forgotten that stories are supposed to serve the characters, not the other way around. And who will care about characters whose histories won't even add up to five years collectively? Recasts, pets, and "gets" rule this roost. Meanwhile, actors and characters that made this show what it was are summarily tossed.

Maybe this will make it easier down the line to axe or something, but these moves inspire zero audience loyalty now, IMHO.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I seriously wonder if the people acting like this is so offensive feel like this every time nepotism happens.

I was actually asking myself the same question yesterday.  Over in the OLTL thread, I posted something about Scott Evans and his mom and remembered that Mrs. Evans ended up getting cast as Mrs. Fish because she was visiting the studio and met Frank and Frank was like, "Well, that'd be fun if your mom played your mom," even though they'd sent out a casting notice for the part.  And I obviously didn't hate that.  But, on the other hand, there's a big difference between a two-day guest spot interacting with a secondary character versus being put on contract while vets are being shown the door and being retrofitted in as the son of Anna Devane and Caesar Faison.

There's just something about this situation in particular - the tone of those interview bites about the encounter at the studio that led to his casting, it happening in the wake of Genie Francis getting demoted/fired, etc. - that sets my teeth on edge.  But that's me.

• Love 8
(edited)

For me,  a lot of it is the Laura Wright factor.  I think she most definitely begged for her boyfriend to be on the show because she's desperate like that and wanted to have him at the studio as much as possible.   The woman just irks.  On and off screen.  Wes seems kind of ok on his own, but "meh."  

I also think the Tamara Braun hiring was short sighted.  I think she is completely miscast as someone playing Drew's old love interest and I think that was another case of FV bumping into someone at the store.  All this after firing Budig.  

Edited by Hater
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, superdeluxe said:

He doesn't care about that stuff.  He doesn't even submit his name.

Frank submits for some of the actors, even if they don't do it on their own.  Tequan Richardson said he never submitted a few years ago,  Frank did it for him.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Hater said:

Frank submits for some of the actors, even if they don't do it on their own.  Tequan Richardson said he never submitted a few years ago,  Frank did it for him.

I know.  I'm just saying Roger Howarth doesn't care about that stuff.  He doesn't submit his name and has even told Frank and crew to stop submitting his name.  He's got his Emmy.  He's probably cool with that.

(edited)
12 minutes ago, superdeluxe said:

I know.  I'm just saying Roger Howarth doesn't care about that stuff.  He doesn't submit his name and has even told Frank and crew to stop submitting his name.  He's got his Emmy.  He's probably cool with that.

Because I have never been silent about my dislike of RoHo as an "actor", I'm going to be snarky and say if he says he's not interested in an Emmy, regardless of their current value or lack of value as an indicator of one's acting chops, then he's giving himself permission to half-ass his work whenever he feels like it. And we've all seen him do that.  

I'll go sit in the corner now. 

Edited by rur
  • Love 1

Jane Elliott was another actor who never cared about Emmys, and she never half-assed a performance. There are people who don't care about outside validation for their work.

I see both sides of it. Soap acting is grueling, so Emmy consideration is nice. On the other hand, Daytime Emmys have always been considered "junior" awards, so I also get why people are indifferent.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

WR is not the first actor who got a job because of who he knows. There have been a lot of actors who were plucked off the street because a casting director or producer or whoever just liked their look or something stood out about them. 

Or something even seedier than "liked the look." One of my favorite prime-time dramas was badly compromised when the egotistical show-runner had at least a crush on and possibly an affair with a pretty but inexperienced and limited actress. At least two seasons of the series suffered from his Kane-like determination to turn her into a star.  I'm not naming any of the parties because it's all innuendo and hunch, but I'll just say I was not surprised in the least when this guy took some #metoo shrapnel for an unrelated matter, and as much as I enjoyed the best years of this show, I think I'll avoid his future projects.  

I don't have an issue with Wes Ramsey either. He's been better than adequate for what he's had to do so far, and he's an actual actor with a long list of credits. If Laura Wright's boyfriend were an aging model or tennis player who suddenly were on four days a week and clearly out of his depth, I'd care more about how he got the job.  

• Love 4
(edited)

I like WR well enough--and he has a nice screen presence--but when I look at LW's obnoxious #myman IG posts, it does annoy me somewhat.  Like most things about her, but I digress.

ETA: My mistake.  It's #mylove, which is not any better.

Edited by Cheyanne11
  • Love 5
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I like WR well enough--and he has a nice screen presence--but when I look at LW's obnoxious #myman IG posts, it does annoy me somewhat.  Like most things about her, but I digress.

ETA: My mistake.  It's #mylove, which is not any better.

You were right the first time.

That face alone.  LOL.

Edited by Hater
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

This is where I'm at, although then I think, is it really any worse to get hired because of a significant other as opposed to being hired simply because one's chest gleams very nicely with oil all over it?

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 2
On 3/31/2018 at 8:00 PM, Gam2 said:

I’ve been meaning to comment on this for a long time so I will now. I love that Monica is still on the show but am distracted by the way she always takes a deep breath before she speaks. Then takes another one. I know she’s older and has trouble walking so I wonder if she has asthma or something? And why do Sam and Drew keep asking her if she can “babysit” their kids when she’s old and still working? Does Monica ask her staff to take care of the kids because we know she’s not doing it. I just don’t get this whole thing.

She's always talked like that. 

On 4/1/2018 at 5:40 AM, sunnyface said:

Wait, Homey say what about someone — who isn’t 14 (or 21 and in arrested development) — reading The Fountainhead?!!!!! This? Explains SO much. 

Just when I thought my opinion of LW couldn’t get any lower. 

• Love 3

I admit to having a bit of a soft spot for LW because she's from my home state (albeit about an hour and half/two hours north of where I grew up). It's nice to see other Maryland girls do well. 

Not that it excuses her more arrogant tendencies, of course. 

43 minutes ago, AyeMada said:

On a happier note, Congrats to Jason Thompson.  Miss him so much on #GH.  Can't take his Y&R character seriously.  

The Young And The Restless Star Jason Thompson Shares Exciting News

https://www.soapoperaspy.com/2018/the-young-and-the-restless-star-jason-thompson-shares-exciting-news/

Congrats to JT and his wife. Good for them!  :-)  In all seriousness, I think Patrick was the last character introduced with hospital ties that actually was pretty successful. And that was in 2005. Wow. (I know Finn is part of the hospital, but based on what I read, the character isn't setting the world on fire.)

• Love 2

I mean, it's ridiculous that Dillon Quartermaine was not good enough for Keeks, but these cute BTS photos make me think I could get behind a Kiki/Chase pairing:

ETA...And now I want a Lucas/Chase/Kiki triangle!  Stop blocking, Frank.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I mean, it's ridiculous that Dillon Quartermaine was not good enough for Keeks

Do you think that's why Dillon/RPG was canned? Both the actor and character (at that point) were a giant Jar of Mayo for me, but I don't think Dillon in general wasn't good enough for Lauren. For me it was more than they had to pair them up because soaps demand it. I'd like to see how a boyfriend would deal with Dr. Bensch's harassment of Lauren—that's pretty topical, too. Do men react only when harassment hits home? How does Dillon, as a fashion photographer, act? Etc. 

7 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Do you think that's why Dillon/RPG was canned? Both the actor and character (at that point) were a giant Jar of Mayo for me, but I don't think Dillon in general wasn't good enough for Lauren.

Oh I was mostly joking.  If anything, the pairing with Kiki was the only thing that worked for Dillon this go-around and it had a decent swell of fan support.  But it is a little weird to me, if the show decided that coupling had plateaued, that the show would just give up on Dillon, a legacy Q who could be a great part of the canvas if anyone cared.  It's kinda like with Rachel and Greg on OLTL.  That pairing clearly wasn't working, but the show deciding to dump Rachel versus Greg was just like...huh?

• Love 1

Gotcha. I don't think the writers were all that interested in Dillon, but he was there and single, and so was Lauren, so they threw them together without really thinking it through. As usual. It's too bad, because I think Lauren getting creeped on by Dr. Bensch would have been a good story for the Lauren/Dillon relationship. But the show has been so anti-Q for the past decade, at least, that I'm not surprised it's Dillon who got jettisoned.

• Love 1

Yeah, Ron brought him with one lame purpose - as a wedge between Lulu and Dante - and once that went to hell, there was no thought or direction for him from the show.  I mean, remember when he found out his father was a serial killer and he took over the care of his mentally ill half-sister...and then we never heard about it again?

• Love 5

I don't think they thought Dillon wasn't good enough for Kiki, I just think Frank was looking to cut someone who wasn't one of his favorites/someone that wouldn't bring a lot of blowback and Dillon it was. Although why they didn't just bring him back instead of bringing on Chase I don't know. Oh wait, I just remembered, Chase is Finn's brother. Oh Frank.

• Love 2

They had another pairing planned for Rachel on OLTL post-Greg, but the show and network chose to drop both characters.

Topic: I am not missing Dillon and Kiki can still die anyday. Also, are they really trying to make people feel bad for Franco by claiming he was molested?

• Love 1