Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

Oh I get the network wants something cheap.  I meant what viewing audience wants another talk show?  There are already so many network and cable programming hours devoted to them its ridiculous.  Daytime is full of them, and the syndicated shows fill the afternoons and late night/early morning hours.  The market for them seems pretty saturated.

• Love 1

They're always developing these shows, and these shows always tank in that process or soon after. The Frons initiative failed because those shows were sort of slapped together.

I'm not convinced they're aiming for GH until they have something they know can last and is cost-effective. The Chew is not exactly a barnburner.

It's top model backwards, only not because as a phrase it should lead with "ledom". Anyhoo, a really dumb thing Tyra did on her all-star season of ANTM.

That alone should have nixed her from any new talk show, especially one that may try to take the place of GH.

• Love 1

I haven't liked Alexis in a long time, and every other tweet by NLG makes me question why I ever liked either actress or character, but at least Alexis has her choice of two men who genuinely want her. Tracy is wringing her hands over a freeloading cheating asshole who treats her like shit.

I blocked NLG on Twitter because her tweets were starting to make me hate Alexis, who was once my favorite character. I know I should separate the two but I can't, when actors start using their 'fame' to shove their own beliefs down their fans throats it disgusts me, like they think they know better than we non-actors do. It's a pet peeve of mine when anyone 'famous' uses their 'fame' to preach their own opinion as fact and practically belittle anyone who doesn't agree with them. Talk/tweet about your show/movie/whatever but don't tell me what to think. /rant over

As far as Luke/Fluke is concerned, this is what happens when the actor/inmate (I'm looking at you TG) runs the show/asylum. Look at how much the so-called storyline has been affected because of TG's real life health problems. It's ridiculous IMO that one used-to-be 'star' of the show calls the shots to the point that things are written around his many many vacations and his desire to make Luke 'dark', nevermind how much the once great Luke and Laura has been reduced to ashes.

I'm sick to death of the whole mob-rules mentality that a show about a hospital has become and nothing would make me happier than to see Sonny and all his ass-kissers out of Port Charles and off this show called General Hospital.

Give us back the Quartermaine Family, give Tracey a man who loves her for the fierce woman she is, and for the love of Jasus, let Michael find out the truth about the mongrels who raised him. Also, fuck you Ron. And most of all, fuck you Sonny, you ruin everything.

Edited because spelling counts.

Edited by tveyeonyou
  • Love 6

...and now I'm confessing that I grew up with Starr and I loved KA for the longest time. Please don't hurt me.

Nothing wrong there.  I loved Starr when she was younger.  Cute as a button, soul of the devil (good thing there) and she could ACT!  It's the last few years that KA's been playing basically herself on screen (on OL and GH) that have been a disappointment.

It was like all of KA's acting skills flowed out of her and into her brother Eddie. When they were younger, she was great and he was kind of embarrassingly bad, but that had reversed by the time OLTL ended. Once she became "sweet teenager" Starr, I lost interest in her, but I didn't actually hate her until she started playing Kiki, which is when I think the bizarre inappropriate facial expressions started. 

• Love 1
It is only Ron (and to a lesser extant Wolfe who wanted to kill her off) who has disrespected Robin, ignoring her HIV and making her the poser-child for soak kidnapping.

I'm sure to break out with some painful rash because of coming to the defense of Wolf, but it was KMc who wanted Robin killed off as, at the time, I guess she had no desire or intention of returning. From what I gather, Carlivati or Valentini talked her out of it.

Now I have to shower with industrial-strength cleanser.

• Love 3

I'm sure to break out with some painful rash because of coming to the defense of Wolf, but it was KMc who wanted Robin killed off as, at the time, I guess she had no desire or intention of returning. From what I gather, Carlivati or Valentini talked her out of it.

If I remember correctly, it was Franck moreso that talked her out of it.

• Love 2
Real life happens: Actors get sick, have family emergencies, etc. And what, TG should refuse a deal that gives him long vacations just because the writers can't figure out how to accommodate TG being gone? IMO, the story problems are Ron's and the writing staff's and theirs alone. TG has as much power as TIIC give him.

I agree, it's no different, to me at least, then how they've been handling Kim's arrangement also.

Ron acts as if these ideas, these schemes of his I'd call them are the only way to handle these recurring statuses and to me that is just a ton and a half of horse excrement.

There's no need to have a woman kidnapped and tortured and tormented constantly. There's no reason to create a faux lookalike for a legacy character just because the actor is unwell and on holiday.

To me Ron comes up with these shitty ideas all on his own, not just because the actors or actresses are "unavailable", he just decides to go with whatever he feels up to and has a trillion excuses for when or if things make a turn for the worse or the idea/s prove to be complete wastes of time.

I think almost all of what's going on storyline wise on the show right now is proof that he just can't come up with anything good to save his sorry life.

The Nina nonsense, this Jakson bullshit, Sam and Patrick and their "bond" pulled out of thin air or someone's ass, Britt and Nik and their soon to fail yet again relationship, all things Spencer, whatever the hell is happening with Scotty and Lucy and Bobbie, the SERIAL KILLER's quest for revenge which apparently is also supposed to do double duty in making him a "sympathetic" character, keeping so much dead weight around for no good reason, giving them useless ties to an already overcrowded, bloated really, canvas, and for me the list goes on and on.

For me the Friday scenes alone of Tracy are a perfect example as well-this classic, legacy character reduced to a pathetic shell of a woman who has been taken advantage of in every way. She's been assaulted sexually and has no idea, mentally and emotionally she's constantly played for a mindless fool who can't see what's right in front of her face, it's inexcusable how it just drags on and on and on.

Ron seems to believe stuffing this show full of things from A to Z something will eventually work out, instead all he's done is create a disjointed, confusing, illogical mess and what little bit of good that can be scrapped off the top of the leaning tower of bullshit he's built just doesn't make up for the rest, imho.

Edited by CPP83
  • Love 14

Exactly.  So I don't understand why it's stated so definitively that Silas does not work as a character and that no one likes him.   Because he does work for some viewers.  Some viewers *do* love him and *do* enjoy his character a lot.

Some, sure, but clearly not enough. I personally don't think it's up for that much debate at this point - while some of them may work for some of us, each of us with a valid POV, I think Franco, Kiki and Silas have all been varying degrees of what we can charitably call 'non-successes' with the larger audience, and I think audience response to all of them for over a year has borne that out, especially Franco and Kiki. Silas has possibly been the least objectionable for me, but it also feels like RC has largely lost what interest he had in the character and is just waiting out his contract or outs.

I mean, I have actors I really like on the show for whom I think the overall reception has been either lukewarm or worse - Emme Rylan is always taking heat or falling to basic disinterest from fans because of Julie Berman, but I think she does a great job even when RC has zero interest in her. Ian Buchanan I have loved for decades, but Shamblin' Duke has been a failure. I wouldn't argue they were successes - I think it's really lukewarm with Rylan, but certainly not in the case of Buchanan.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 5

I read the same thing at the time .So FrankenRon wanted her back. They didn't want to kill her, They knew she was important to the show.Just torture her and say she had three hots and a cot ? You just told the truth.Not really sticking up for any of them !

• Love 1

I know plenty of people like ME, his line was one of the longest at GH Fantasy Weekend. I still am clueless as to why, but some people are long time fans. I liked him as McBain, I do NOT like him as Silas. I do not think his character works. Is he offensive or as grating as some others (Franco, Kiki, Nina)? No. It doesn't mean he's a good character. Sorry I didn't use the phrase IMHO, but it's kind of a given and understood that what we write is all of our opinions. No one said you weren't allowed to disagree.

FYI - Maura was only on Y&R for a year. It's not what she's most known for, and it's not like she was this long running character from there. She was treated absolutely horribly on that show, so I'm very glad that she ended up on a show where she is happy playing a character that she adores. I never have to worry about her getting bored, because she puts her all into her work.

I just know I'll be sad when MW is gone, but I'll probably throw a party when Easton is out. It does bother me that he along with Roger were brought onto GH and given so much, while actors  who had been on GH were allowed to leave or have practically no story whatsoever, and I'm not even talking about StBu who had long ago become tiresome for me. I don't ask much, really I don't, but I like to see people who are really trying their best to act. I see that with Maura West each and every time. Begrudgingly I see it with Roger. I never see it with Easton. Frank handed him a job, twice. Act or something!

I think Frank would have done anything to keep Roger and Michael on GH, but I also think there comes a point where Frank can turn. He did it on OLTL. If Frank was still so enamored of Easton, Silas and Sam would still be together on screen.  I also believe, FWIW which is nothing, that Frank thought he'd get OLTL fans to follow the three to GH. I am sure it worked for a while for some, but it also turned off a lot of GH fans. I was a fan of both shows and had watched GH longer than I ever want to admit, but it turned me off to see all three of them have their HEAs from OLTL systematically destroyed one at a time. I also know I don't speak for all GH and OLTL fans.

Edited by sometimesfan

No one is saying that, nor did I, and of course you do not have to say IMO, however, some of your statements are stated definitively as if it's a given.  My response was to your statement that "clearly his character is not working."  That's a definitive statement.   Yeah, it's your opinion and you don't like him, that's totally cool because it's your opinion, but it's not a fact that the character "clearly doesn't work."  Because he works for some viewers.  And that was the point of my comment.  As was the response ("Like most characters...") from sometimesfan--who actually made my point although I don't think that was the intention, but that was what I was saying. 

And I'm well aware what MW is known for, but I was making a larger point.   I personally feel it's ridiculous to harp on actors' previous work after they've moved onto another show.  They are GH actors now.  But obviously mileage does vary.

I don't think, in the cast of Howarth, Alderson, and Easton, that you (and by "you" I mean the general you and not specifically you, ICGS) can discount the fact that they used to be on OLTL. It is highly, highly doubtful, that if for some reason Rylan, Maura West, Billy Miller or Stafford had to be removed for legal reasons, they would be let back on the show a month later after they left as different character. KA, RHo and ME are still on this show because of the fact that they used to be on OLTL and because the current people in charge loved that show and couldn't stand for other people besides them to have creative control over that show and so wanted to try to screw the new people in charge of OLTL in whatever way they could. It isn't even a matter of how popular Franco, Kiki, and Silas are - it is silly and confusing to bring back actors as whole brand spanking new characters a month after they were playing other characters, and the only reason that was done is because they were on OLTL. That wouldn't've happened if the actors had been from B&B or Y&R or DAYS. imo, of course. But that is why I can't think of those three characters as simply GH characters/actors in a way I could eventually to with new actors from the other three shows.

Well that, and the fact that two of the three of those actors play characters that are really very, very horrible.

I think ME does try. He really wasn't given the best story to work with. He was expected to recreate lightening in a bottle with KeMo who's gotten lethargic over the years. Then their story became all Nina all day with wooden Nathan thrown in. ME isn't in your face, which is great imo. I'll take a good actor who can sell a story with real people reaction anyday over barware throwing, name calling, head beating bs. Silas, imo, is a doctor who acts like a doctor, so it's weird because we're not used to that. Doctors don't bang in the shower, commit international crimes, kidnap embryos, ask hitmen for sperm, get kidnapped over and over have conversations with their evil selves during brain surgery, nor do hire serial killers. They are pretty laid back. They're human.

I don't dislike ME just because he doesn't try. A lot of the actors are sleepwalking a lot of the time. I just don't a) think he's that great, and b) on a shallow level, I find him unappealing.

• Love 8

I've never blamed Geary for taking his vacations.  Or Slezak either on OLTL. The writers are well aware of these events, as they take place at the same time every year. It's THEIR job to write a believable exit, and also their responsibility to NOT write the character as the lead in a story that will have to grind to a complete halt when the actor goes on vacation. Somehow, nobody has ever been able to do this. Not Guza, not Ron, no one. And for the life of me, I don't understand why? Granted, in this case, I think Geary's extended absence came as a bit of a surprise. But even without that, he would have been off for 10 weeks straight. Why not wrap up the story before he leaves? Or at least leave us with some tidbit to look forward to, instead of just not having him anywhere and having everyone talk about him. I dunno, it just seems that any writer with even a modicum of talent could figure this out. So why is it so difficult?

• Love 6

Real life happens: Actors get sick, have family emergencies, etc. And what, TG should refuse a deal that gives him long vacations just because the writers can't figure out how to accommodate TG being gone? IMO, the story problems are Ron's and the writing staff's and theirs alone. TG has as much power as TIIC give him.

I don't even think TG has as much power as people give him credit for. But even if he does, I'm not going to fault him for using it to get what he wants, if that's what's he's doing. He can make all the demands and suggestions he wants but he can't force TPTB to do anything. They are the ones who are in charge of what shows up on screen and it's their fault when the stories suck.  

• Love 3

Pointy fingers guy was Colton Shore. 

IIRC, he arrived as a brainwashed war vet. He was Lucy's cousin, and he later married Felicia when Frisco was presumed dead but was really in a Turkish prison*. Frisco, of course, escaped the prison in time to witness the wedding.

*which, apparently, has its own Port Charles resident wing

Edited by rur

I don't care or blame TG when he takes his vacations. I just cannot stand him when he decides what stories he wants to play. I killed Jake but I am not a drunk, HAve another drink Luke I also hate when he acts like a douche when he doesn't want to be in a story Laura comes to mind. He wasn't happy when Laura was with Stephan and lots of people liked it.TG wanted to decide what Luke did, and we the viewers know it.  I liked Luke UNTIL he looked at lulu after her operation and said *she is tainted she now has Cassidine blood*, That was disgusting. better dead huh Luke. Then he was awful to Nickolas for loving his sister. And not hating her because she was only his half sister.

• Love 1

Ron may think he's writing like the 80s or 90s, but he 100% is not. He drops names and facts from the past, while completely mangling the characters' personalities and turning everything into a superficial, campy, mean-spirited joke.

He apparently missed the themes and emotions at the heart of the show back then.

I can't agree with you more, he has no clue about the true history of GH or the characters, he claims to be such a "fan" of. All I can think is "with friends like you, Ron, who would ever need enemies?".

It's like his scapegoat line to get away with doing whatever he wants, as if no one actually watched back then to call him out on all the utter bullshit he keeps coming up with that goes against the very history he claims to be "honouring". His quest to re-write and re-hash so much history which, imo, is 100 times better then anything he's done is just...I can't put it into words really.

To me Ron is just incredibly shallow and what he writes is forever hollow.

To me soaps are about human interest stories at their core, sure there's the silliness and over the top nonsense like stealing babies, faking deaths, freezing people, aging kids twelve years in a month, etc, but the humanity can't be lost, these characters still need to make us feel something, feel for them in some way.

Whether that means we pity them, sympathize with them, love to hate them or love to love them, they need to touch us and resonate with us. But with Ron these characters are just...imho so wholly unlikable and unbelievable and often just completely unnecessary, like Sabrina or Felix or the Nina for example.

Why are they necessary? What do they add, what is their purpose? If those questions can't be answered well or at all then they just need to go away, they never should have existed in the first place! Especially when there are legacy, classic characters just waiting to be utilized in the background.

Not to mention with Ron's track record he gets bored with his own pets, because not even he considers them to be interesting and worthwhile for the long term. Sabrina and Felix were at the front of everything and in everyone's business this time last year, they were everywhere and now what? They may as well be mere extras.

Ron can't compare at all to the past of GH and he's doing the future absolutely no favours whatsoever to me. He's making Guza look good, I never even thought that possible with all the shit he used to come up with and at the same time, I think, he's ensuring there will be no one to come after him because the show will get canned before he's done with it and because of what he's done to it.

Edited by CPP83
  • Love 12

Jamey Giddens thinks, as a tie-in to her ABC talk show next year, Tyra Banks should guest star on "General Hospital" as a recast Keesha Ward.

http://daytimeconfidential.com/2014/10/30/wishful-casting-tyra-banks-keesha-ward-general-hospital/2/

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. 

I will say that his avocation of Sal Stowers from the Prospect Park "All My Children" series to play a younger Ward offshoot isn't without merit.

• Love 1

So someone said that Ron said in SOD re: Franco/Carly: "I don't like spoilers, but I would say, put a fork in it, it's done"

He'd better not be lying, dammit.

Of course it's done, because now begins the ascent of the supercouple that is Franco and Nina!  As befits the holiday, boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

• Love 4

I can wait for that to fail too. muahahaha. Although I kinda look forward to see how Michelle Stafford will do a love scene. It's going to be so awful. Like Mary-Katherine Gallagher on crack.

• Love 7

I think there are those that like Franco and Nina as scheming partners, but I'd imagine any romance between them would be similar to Franco and Carly with the gooey overwriting, declarations that they taught each other to love, etc.

I can wait for that to fail too. muahahaha. Although I kinda look forward to see how Michelle Stafford will do a love scene. It's going to be so awful. Like Mary-Katherine Gallagher on crack.

Can you imagine how long a love scene with The Nina would take, what with her repeating everything twice and all?

• Love 4

I think there are those that like Franco and Nina as scheming partners, but I'd imagine any romance between them would be similar to Franco and Carly with the gooey overwriting, declarations that they taught each other to love, etc.

soaps don't know how to write fun scheming couples anymore.When Heather and scotty where romantically involved.They didn't spout crap like you tught me how to love and ect.

Ron can't compare at all to the past of GH and he's doing the future absolutely no favours whatsoever to me. He's making Guza look good, I never even thought that possible with all the shit he used to come up with and at the same time, I think, he's ensuring there will be no one to come after him because the show will get canned before he's done with it and because of what he's done to it.

What I am amazed at is that no one at Disney which is so concerned with image, has looked at this show. There is no moral anchor, there are no heroes (Anna, Dante, Nathan, Scott who should represent law enforcement are marginalized. Mac, the last true good guy on the show does not exist in Ron's mind) Ron's writing of children is down right creepy, he idolizes a serial killer/rapist and a crazy woman. You would think Disney would do something, even if it was to cancel the show.

Ron needs to either get a c0-writer or quit

Edited by Fylaki
  • Love 2

Forget Disney, no one at ABC is paying attention to this show.

The View has just been moved from being under the daytime to the news division, and word is that Ben Sherwood is going to totally fold daytime into news come January.

The budget has been cut, reportedly Frank is bringing in the show below budget, and ratings have been steady. ABC has some real problems to worry about so until the ratings become a problem, Carting are going to go unsupervised.

• Love 1