Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I think the reveal can come completely out of nowhere (think back to Bert Ramsey being Mr. Big), but it has to make sense (think back to Bert Ramsey being Mr. Big). Paul being the killer, especially of a bunch of who-cares day players, will never make sense.

That was such a shocker. I still can't believe it when I watch pre-reveal clips featuring Ramsey. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Tiger said:

She had nothing to do with Chew or Revolution.  I believe she was brought in sometime in th e past year after it became apparant that FabLife wasnt going to work (either).  

She was supposed to develop programming to replace FabLife, other syndicated fare, and probably a replacement for GH.  Obviously she failed.  

I read that she helped create The Tyra Banks show, and convinced Tyra to do FabLife, so she was in on the creation. 

ETA: at some point last year my ABC affiliate dumped View, Chew, and GH to its sister station.  I just saw promos for the affiliate and its sister's new fall schedules starting tomorrow and all three arent on either.  

Looking at the websites, it looks like theyve dumped all three into the sister stations late night like the NBC affiliate did with Days a while back.

I've always been confused by this...are networks not able to require their affiliates to air shows at certain times? How are they allowed to dump *important* shows to graveyard time slots? Also, I thought The Chew was doing well, or am I confusing it with that CBS talk show?

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, LeftPhalange said:

I've always been confused by this...are networks not able to require their affiliates to air shows at certain times? How are they allowed to dump *important* shows to graveyard time slots? Also, I thought The Chew was doing well, or am I confusing it with that CBS talk show?

That's a really good question.  I know all affiliates of ABC, NBC, and CBS are allowed to replace so many hours of primetime during the entirety of the 52-week season.  

But my ABC and NBC affiliates both seem to do whatever they want, dropping and/or rearranging the networks' daytime slates, and frequently replacing primetime shows with low ratings with their own stuff.  

• Love 1

I don't work in TV, so I may be completely wrong here. But I think if an affiliate is owned and operated by the network, a la WABC in NYC or the LA affiliate, the shows must air in the designated time slot. But if it is a smaller, locally-owned affiliate, the schedule is at their discretion.

I know way back in the '80s, my grandmother complained to me because our CBS affiliate had shifted Guiding Light (one of the soaps she loved) to 9:00 a.m. and a day behind. (Albany, NY market.)

But I know it was also a big deal when I watched Santa Barbara back in the day when its slot was moved around and the soap rags announced other affiliates were dropping it if not putting it on at the dead of night. It was the beginning of the end.

Can't help thinking it'll eventually mean the same for GH if other affiliates do the same.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Tiger said:

That's a really good question.  I know all affiliates of ABC, NBC, and CBS are allowed to replace so many hours of primetime during the entirety of the 52-week season.  

But my ABC and NBC affiliates both seem to do whatever they want, dropping and/or rearranging the networks' daytime slates, and frequently replacing primetime shows with low ratings with their own stuff.  

That's been happening for years. I recall people saying Port Charles aired after midnight in some places.

For years DAYS aired at 1 pm in my market but now it airs at noon. And GH always aired at 3 pm until the schedule change a couple of years ago that moved it to 2pm.  It got moved back to 3pm in my market but I know some places still air it at 2pm. 

1 hour ago, In2You said:

That's been happening for years. I recall people saying Port Charles aired after midnight in some places.

For years DAYS aired at 1 pm in my market but now it airs at noon. And GH always aired at 3 pm until the schedule change a couple of years ago that moved it to 2pm.  It got moved back to 3pm in my market but I know some places still air it at 2pm. 

Yep. I'm from Maryland, so most areas of the state get either the Baltimore or the DC stations (and in some areas, like where I grew up in the Southern end of the state, we get both). PC aired in DC at 12:30 like normal, but if Baltimore aired it all--I can't remember if it did--it was after midnight. And in DC, GH is still at 2 PM, even though it moved back to 3 in New York (and while Days did air in DC for awhile at noon, it's back at 1 again now). 

4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I know way back in the '80s, my grandmother complained to me because our CBS affiliate had shifted Guiding Light (one of the soaps she loved) to 9:00 a.m. and a day behind. (Albany, NY market.)

That happened in New York and Pittsburgh, too. But in 1993, the CBS affiliate in Sacramento, CA infamously dropped GL from its lineup and never brought it back, despite this being WAY before the show was in any real danger of being cancelled.

And to get back to ABC for a second, they were not the ones to cancel The Edge of Night in 1984--P&G was. ABC wanted to buy Edge, the way it had GH, AMC, and OLTL, but P&G, then and as always territorial as fuck (despite caring less and less about its soaps as time went on), noticed how many stations had dropped Edge by 1984 (and how many more were expected to in 1985), and cancelled it, even though ABC seemed willing to save it then. I've heard that it won its designated time slot (4 PM) in the affiliates that actually got to carry it in said time slot.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2

TV WATERCOOLER
— Despite earlier reports that Tyler Christopher was expected to resume filming at General Hospital this month, the actor has booked a new role in the indie flick Pretty Broken. The actor was removed from the opening credits last week.

Good for Tyler.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

So what does this mean? Are they going to bring back Temporary Nik, or is Nik for real dead?

I don't think anyone knows. I think FV and TC are in a stand-off.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I think FV and TC are in a stand-off.

TC might be in the lead at the moment. Given the budget restraints and the block taping, I don't know why Frank can't be more flexible with the actors without it seeming like he's a jerk.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, ulkis said:

TV WATERCOOLER
— Despite earlier reports that Tyler Christopher was expected to resume filming at General Hospital this month, the actor has booked a new role in the indie flick Pretty Broken. The actor was removed from the opening credits last week.

3 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

SO happy for Tyler. Free yourself, boo.

3 hours ago, LexieLily said:

So what does this mean? Are they going to bring back Temporary Nik, or is Nik for real dead?

3 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

Just so long as I'm spared a Nik/Ava pairing

A few weeks back, someone posted a link to an interview w/ Kirsten Storms, Emme Rylan* in which she mentioned (I'm paraphrasing) not liking the substitute/new Nik when he first came on the set because she was feeling loyal to TC. That always struck me as something odd to say or acknowledge if TC's absence was planned and everything was rainbows , as some press releases seemed to imply. It made me start suspecting something's been brewing for a while between TC and TPTB. 

*Thanks for the gentle correction, LexieLily!

Edited by rur
  • Love 4

things that make you go hmmmm.

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/gh-casting-jeff-webber/

GH has put out a casting call for a character who sounds suspiciously like a possible recast for the role of Jeff Webber, Elizabeth’s dad and the ex of several ladies on the canvas (Monica, Heather, Naomi). When Digest asked Co-Head Writers Shelly Altman and Jean Passanante about bringing the character back to town in light of the recent reveal that Jeff is the secret father of Hayden, they teased, “That would be great, wouldn’t it?” In the casting call, GH says that the show is seeking a male, “late 50’s-early 60’s” who is “ Caucasian, handsome, dynamic, charismatic: for a “major recurring role”. The part was originally played by a pre-MACGYVER Richard Dean Anderson from 1976-81.

It's a lock that RDA isnt' coming back, so *if* they found the right guy, it at least has potential. Of course this is GH so they'll screw up whatever story they write. But at least it wouldn't be a brand new character!

• Love 3
On August 30, 2016 at 1:07 PM, LeftPhalange said:

It's pathetic that he's spent more time thinking about Paul's background and motivations than the people who get paid to do so. And he's one of the lucky ones. I can't imagine what the actors who have been here years or decades have to tell themselves when they;re trying to act this stuff out.

While I realize that some might like the twist because it came across as a genuine surprise and unlike the Diego as the Text Message Killer, used someone who was actually on the canvas, when just about everyone still scratching their heads, TIIC haven't told a good story;they created a "drop the mic moment" and nothing more. Other shows,like Game of Thrones, are doing similar things as well, but because they only have a handful of episodes left, it probably won't matter much.  It is part of the larger bad trends in entertainment today, but like all bad trends, GH amplifies them. 

Richard Burgi got hosed in much the same manner Corbin Bernson did when he came to play Carly's father. Luckily, he probably can return to his previous career as a character actor for prime time. He last experience with soaps came from a time where character and story where paramount and thought he would have similar experience. Instead of working with the like of Jane Elliot or Fiona Hughes on regular believable basis, they have him in mesh mashes of stories with no plan behind them. 

9 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

things that make you go hmmmm.

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/gh-casting-jeff-webber/

GH has put out a casting call for a character who sounds suspiciously like a possible recast for the role of Jeff Webber, Elizabeth’s dad and the ex of several ladies on the canvas (Monica, Heather, Naomi). When Digest asked Co-Head Writers Shelly Altman and Jean Passanante about bringing the character back to town in light of the recent reveal that Jeff is the secret father of Hayden, they teased, “That would be great, wouldn’t it?” In the casting call, GH says that the show is seeking a male, “late 50’s-early 60’s” who is “ Caucasian, handsome, dynamic, charismatic: for a “major recurring role”. The part was originally played by a pre-MACGYVER Richard Dean Anderson from 1976-81.

It's a lock that RDA isnt' coming back, so *if* they found the right guy, it at least has potential. Of course this is GH so they'll screw up whatever story they write. But at least it wouldn't be a brand new character!

I bet it will be a OLTL actor or some other "get". What pisses me off is this isn't about Liz, its about Hayden and continuing to graft her into the history of GH. Its never about Liz.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

It is probably Jeff, but I did have a glancing thought that, based on the description, it could also totally be Raymond Berlin, the cuckold.  Because of course that would be the more important person to have on canvas. #eyeroll

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I bet it will be a OLTL actor or some other "get". What pisses me off is this isn't about Liz, its about Hayden and continuing to graft her into the history of GH. Its never about Liz.

I honestly don't understand the hostility toward former OLTL actors. Most of them appeared on other soaps as well, and you're not going to get a primetime actor to take a role on GH. Someone on FB suggested Jerry ver Dorn as a possibility and I could definitely see that. Or Michael E. Knight. I do agree that the story should be about Liz and won't. That's the only thing that pisses me off here, not whether the actor appeared on OL.

• Love 8
47 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

But at least it wouldn't be a brand new character

Given the writing for the existing characters (Hi Paul!), I think it's safe to assume he will bear no resemblance to his previous incarnation.

31 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

I honestly don't understand the hostility toward former OLTL actors. Most of them appeared on other soaps as well, and you're not going to get a primetime actor to take a role on GH. Someone on FB suggested Jerry ver Dorn as a possibility and I could definitely see that. Or Michael E. Knight. I do agree that the story should be about Liz and won't. That's the only thing that pisses me off here, not whether the actor appeared on OL.

1. Because they have been swallowing the show since they debuted

2. Because the reappearance of he OLTL3 coincided with some of the worst story and character decisions I've ever seen on this show

3. Because FV and the writers du jour have made it obvious that they prefer to write for the characters they've created/recast at the expense of the existing characters

• Love 8
38 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

Given the writing for the existing characters (Hi Paul!), I think it's safe to assume he will bear no resemblance to his previous incarnation.

2. Because the reappearance of he OLTL3 coincided with some of the worst story and character decisions I've ever seen on this show

3. Because FV and the writers du jour have made it obvious that they prefer to write for the characters they've created/recast at the expense of the existing characters

I don't know, it sometimes feels it's directed at the fans of the show, too, like we're terrible people just because OLTL was our favorite soap--or because JDP, who was fired in 2003 just as Frank had just started EPing that show (ditto Fiona), and therefore was not there for Ron. Actors I miss and would love to see again. I know about the stigma there is for that soap in particular because of Frank and Ron. but sometimes it starts to feel personal/extends towards the fans. I don't want to think some of you guys hate me/think I'm a "lesser" soap fan because I watched OLTL before GH. :'( 

OTOH, having the old Y&R/ATWT stars hired too means it's not JUST directed towards us, now.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, UYI said:

I don't know, it sometimes feels it's directed at the fans of the show, too, like we're terrible people just because OLTL was our favorite soap--or because JDP, who was fired in 2003 just as Frank had just started EPing that show (ditto Fiona), and therefore was not there for Ron. Actors I miss and would love to see again. I know about the stigma there is for that soap in particular because of Frank and Ron. but sometimes it starts to feel personal/extends towards the fans. :'( 

OTOH, having the old Y&R/ATWT stars hired too means it's not JUST directed towards us, now.

yeah that's how I feel sometimes. I get the anger at these actors coming on and eating the show, but that's not THEIR fault. And it would likely happen no matter who they hired (see Stafford and Buddig). So if a former OL actor is a good fit for the part (and is someone who can actually ACT), then I say go for it. JDP would make a GREAT Jeff, but he's a little on the young side (54)

39 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

But why blame the actors? They have no control over any of these things. They're just doing their jobs like everyone else. And really, they'd be crazy to turn down the opportunity to get more story/screen time. That's what an actor wants...any actor.

Back on topic, I hope whoever they cast is good, even if the story will likely suck.

• Love 6

I do think there's a difference between your Michael Eastons/Bree Williamsons and someone like JDP or Jerry ver Dorn (who I LOVE, but I'm not sure I can see as Jeff), if that makes sense.

Also saw Michael E. Knight suggested on Twitter, that's not a terrible notion.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, UYI said:

I don't know, it sometimes feels it's directed at the fans of the show, too, like we're terrible people just because OLTL was our favorite soap--or because JDP, who was fired in 2003 just as Frank had just started EPing that show (ditto Fiona), and therefore was not there for Ron. Actors I miss and would love to see again. I know about the stigma there is for that soap in particular because of Frank and Ron. but sometimes it starts to feel personal/extends towards the fans. :'( 

It goes the other way too - like I'm a grouch* because I didn't watch OLTL.

*okay I actually am a grouch but not because I didn't watch OLTL.

I'm mostly over my OLTL actor aversion though. Like Oracle said, it's beyond that now. I could think of some actors I wouldn't mind seeing in smaller roles, the problem is Frank keeps bringing over the mediocre ones.

• Love 3

This is not an unemployment office, Frank/Ron/Jelly don't need to create characters for every soap actor looking for work. At the very least, why can't any of these actors play existing GH characters? If someone started watching today after being away for five years they wouldn't know who 50% of these characters are. That's a problem.

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I do think there's a difference between your Michael Eastons/Bree Williamsons and someone like JDP or Jerry ver Dorn (who I LOVE, but I'm not sure I can see as Jeff), if that makes sense.

Also saw Michael E. Knight suggested on Twitter, that's not a terrible notion.

I'd love to see MEK get it.  He just finished up a run on Y&R, and he was one of the only good things going on that show, so he's available.  (And MEK will always be one of my favorite soap actors, regardless of some of the shit they wrote him towards the end of AMC). 

Now watch them bring in Walt Willey so he can be Greenlee's father again.  I love WW, but...no.  

Edited by KerleyQ
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, KerleyQ said:

I'd love to see MEK get it.  He just finished up a run on Y&R, and he was one of the only good things going on that show, so he's available.  (And MEK will always be one of my favorite soap actors, regardless of some of the shit they wrote him towards the end of AMC). 

He had a rough few years (Damon, ugh), but he sparkled with Lindsey Hartley's Cara, I loved them so much.

• Love 3

MEK is also one of my favorites; I'd love to see him on my screen again.

I've always been an ABC soap person.  I liked AMC, OTL and GH.  I hate that GH is my last soap.  As for actors from the cancelled shows being cast on GH, can I be Switzerland?

• Love 4

To be clear, I was a fan of OLTL but the characters that FV has dropped onto this show are kind of terrible and the actors haven't done much to redeem them

8 hours ago, KerleyQ said:

Now watch them bring in Walt Willey so he can be Greenlee's father again.  I love WW, but...no.  

WW is totally going to be Raymond Berlin

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, KerleyQ said:

And now thinking of former AMC actors - they should get Vincent Irizarry.  He'd be so good, and he has chemistry with inanimate objects.  

I wanted him for Julian Jerome so I could watch him opposite FH and because he was the right age and type, WdV still doesn't work for me. Or VI as Valentin

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 2

Poor Vincent Irizarry is being totally wasted on DOOL at the moment.

I'm trying to think of other soap names for Jeff.  Did Robin Riker play against someone on her former soap they might cast?  That seems like something they'd do.

And the actor hasn't mattered anyway because the writing is so shitty.

But seriously, how much story has Molly had since Kiki started? Zero. Meanwhile, Kiki is on her 3rd love interest and her 400th story

Why is AJ the only one who has ever tried to murder NuFranco?

Have there been any non-Sabrina/non-Finn stories at the hospital in the past few years? 

Here's the thing, Kate and Patrick, for instance, were enfolded in the GH universe, the universe wasn't warped to fit around them

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

Why is AJ the only one who has ever tried to murder NuFranco?

Wait, when did that happen?

Carly did try to kill him too though lol. Right before she failed, grumble.

• Love 2