Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

I was just telling Paloma (Jonas), my wife. I left work yesterday, and I was just like, loved my job. I was so excited to go back. I was kind of bummed that I had today off. It’s been a really fun couple weeks here. I’m excited about keeping it going.

I bet he didn't make these comments at the end of his GH work day.

• Love 1

I've heard that same "true, loyal fan" comment from pretty much every showrunner/writer/exec from every TV show I've ever watched. True fans love the whole show and love all the characters and pairings and don't complain and accept whatever and never stop watching!

It's like, whatever. I like what I like and if I get it, great. If I don't, I'll bitch about it or stop watching or watch something else. No one has to prove their fandom to anyone or are obligated to be devoted to something forever. It's a TV show. Not a marriage.

• Love 10

I especially love the part where he says that "true fans " will just seem to "eat it up" and "sit back and watch". So.. because we actually care about the quality of what we are watching - what we have been watching for years- we are not real fans?

Okay. Good to know how ABC feels.

The phrase "eat it up" is beyond disparaging.

It's more the same. These executives and show runners have absolutely no concept of what makes a good show, and what people want to watch.

• Love 6

I can so imagine his mother at the beauty salon now:

"What's new with you?"

"Oh, my son is still working on General Hospital. Such an important man he is!"

"That's good."

Seriously, I have not heard general soap discussion in public in years now. Empire? The Bachelor? Real Housewives? Orange is the New Black? Downton Abbey? Yes.  But GH? Y&R? Days? B&B? Nope.

The last thing I've seen is SNL skewering soap fans a week or so ago, where the older lady is talking about her favorite soap, that she says she's watched every day for 40 years, and she can't name a single person on the show. She can't even name the show! "It's the one on before the other one." And it has "Moustache Man" and "SexyPants" and "Skinny Ninny."

Oh, and another thing, I don't know about SID, but SOD's sales are down to about 200,000 per year. 200,000 thousand!!  So, we all know that there's a good shot that Nathan's mom subscribes, again, because her darling son "works on the show."

Oy.  Nathan, man, you're trying to make a name of yourself. But this, truly, is not the way to go about it.

Edited by Francie
  • Love 6

It's just a stupid comment to even make. If social media isn't important, then why have actors live tweet the episode? Why have Nathan himself putting out spoilers on HIS Twitter and FB accounts? It just doesn't make sense. He's talking out of both sides of his mouth.

• Love 10

To be fair, he wasn't talking about his own mother, but the mother of a friend of his.

It's just so stupid.  Did he think the quote wouldn't get online, that telling it to SID meant only SID readers would see it and feel flattered they are the "big, true fans"?

• Love 1
Oh, and another thing, I don't know about SID, but SOD's sales are down to about 200,000 per year. 200,000 thousand!!

I haven't even looked at any of the soap magazines in so long, but I see them in the checkout line and it's so sad. SID still is broken up by network, and I think, "What does ABC Soaps in Depth have to cover? General Hospital and nostalgia pieces on all the canceled ones?"

My rhetorical question just made me go to Wikipedia, and I see that it's essentially a General Hospital magazine now, with some off-topic coverage of Days of our Lives, because NBC lost its magazine in the series years ago. 

Freudian finger-slip: I first wrote Soaps in "Death."

• Love 1

I always love that TPTB and ABC execs vacillate between these two points all the time:

A) We don't understand why viewership is down. What are we doing wrong? Is it us? Or something external.

B)  True fans simply watch the show and don't complain.

It's like all the complaints and criticisms vanish into thin air.

• Love 3

It's just a stupid comment to even make. If social media isn't important, then why have actors live tweet the episode? Why have Nathan himself putting out spoilers on HIS Twitter and FB accounts? It just doesn't make sense. He's talking out of both sides of his mouth.

In "defense" of Varni, I'm pretty sure he was probably referring to the nasty fans on social media (unfortunately, they're a louder and larger group) who probs fill his mentions with ridiculousness. I don't think he was saying it's not important.

You can't take the good without the bad. I get it can't be fun to read all that vitriol, but suck it up, buttercup. It's your job.

True. It's his job. I don't envy him, though. I personally had to limit reading what GH fans were saying on social media this past year because of all the nonsensical shit directed at KMc. I can't imagine if it was in my mentions and essentially unavoidable.

• Love 1

Yeah but Varni doesn't care enough about the show to know the character's names so I doubt very much that he's invested enough to be bothered by anything except the people pointing out that the show is crap right now

• Love 4

Yeah but Varni doesn't care enough about the show to know the character's names so I doubt very much that he's invested enough to be bothered by anything except the people pointing out that the show is crap right now

It's not about being invested in the show, though. If something bugs someone, whether it's legit to us or not, it's annoying to have to see it every single second of every single day. And I've also seen people straight up insulting Varni personally.

And that'll be the end of me defending Varni, it's really not my intention, lol.

• Love 2

I'm friends with VBag on Facebook. Dude gets paid to go to dinners and Disney etc. That's part of his job. Not dressed up, just chilling at Disney, eating. I'm sure Mickey Mouse pays him well, so if he has to sift through some not so nice comments about GH and chooses to ignore them and whine instead, well... then... hmmm. I don't feel sorry for him.

• Love 2

I thought they already announced that JT's wife was expecting? Or maybe not. I know it was already out cause Chad accidentally recorded JT talking about it on one of his . . . what are they called. Those video chats, lol.

I thought they already announced that JT's wife was expecting? Or maybe not. I know it was already out cause Chad accidentally recorded JT talking about it on one of his . . . what are they called. Those video chats, lol.

I believe this is the official announcement. The Chad Periscope thing was never confirmed by JT.

Soaps In Depth ABC ‏@soapsindepthabc  Jan 20

"Franco gets results." Kevin's endorsement here is actually very smart. It helps the audience accept Franco in this career path. #GH

Not this audience member, it only pisses me off that Kevin was trotted out for Franco propping.

• Love 12

Oh thank god. I had to come by this thread because Tumblr decided I'd want to see a bunch of GIFs of Connie Falconeri today and nearly gave me a heart attack of worry that Kelly Sullivan was coming back. So, so happy to see no news of what might be my last straw.

• Love 3