Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Regrets Only

Elektra's so right, Matt can't possibly mask dat ass.

I also love how much pie has been in this season.

Edited by Bec
  • Love 7

Awesome Matt in a tux and Elektra in a gown kicking ass.

Elektra going "I'm a genius!" after Matt finds the secret door. Heh.

I love this exchange when Frank's public defender's trite: "I believe in protecting women." and Karen not even looking up from reading sarcastic "Thanks from all of us."

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

Holy shit, that hospital scene. So good! I'm OK with Elektra (reserving my judgment until she reveals the real her, so far it's more like the mask), but Frank is the MVP of this season by far. He's just so...sincere. Honest. And vulnerable, despite being a crazy badass. I just can't ignore that.

• Love 1

He knows her as the Greek girl Matt had a brief fling with in college. I don't think Matt has told him anything more.

I have a feeling Foggy knows more than that. Otherwise, I can't see why he's so reluctant to mention her as the mysterious client the firm suddenly picked up.

• Love 2

One thing I love about the way they're presenting Frank -- the vulnerable, honest guy and the brutal murderer are all a part of him. He's both of them and they're both perfectly reconciled together. You can see the way these two sides of him inform the other. It doesn't feel forced of OOC for him to be either of those guys. 

• Like 1
  • Love 11
Awesome Matt in a tux and Elektra in a gown kicking ass.

Yeah, that was very “every spy movie trope ever” but I loved it!

Otherwise, I can't see why he's so reluctant to mention her as the mysterious client the firm suddenly picked up.

No matter how much Foggy knows (or don’t know) about Elektra at this point, I’m not sure why Matt’s being so secretive about her. You’d think it might be a good idea to just come right out and tell Foggy everything, because he knows so much already and it’s likely he’s going to find out about this anyway and then be mad that Matt kept it a secret. I don’t see any practical reason to keep this a big secret.

I guess he just doesn’t want to get another lecture from Foggy.

And we can just add this to the mounting pile of stuff he’s keeping secret from Karen. Not really a great way to start a relationship off on the right foot.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I kept thinking at least tell Foggy that she is the client. He also should tell Karen about it too. Obviously make it sound like she needs a lawyer for something legal but let Karen at least know he's ex is in town. I know she's going to find out at least about her and I feel like he if he wants to continue to have a good relationship with Karen then he needs to tell her that the client is his ex.

• Love 1

Karen's super dismissive "thanks from all of us" to that lawyers "I believe in protecting women" line was hilarious. Possibly one of my favorite Karen moments.  

Elektra and Matt somehow wonder into a spy movie! And it was a ton of fun! 

• Love 2

I never would have predicted that The Punisher storyline would end up actually having Frank and Karen share scenes, but here we are, and I loved it.  Jon Bernthal continues to shine with these big speeches and make me feel for Frank, even though he clearly did some awful things, and should be punished.  But, I'm glad Karen is standing up for him and isn't asking for some silly "Let him free!" thing, but just wants him to get the best legal advice possible, and avoid the death penalty.  Of course, Frank has now changed the game by pleading not guilty, so now poor Nelson and Murdock are not only going to have the entire weight of Reyes and the D.A. office on them, but no doubt the entire media as well.  Sorry, Foggy, your days in summer camp are totally going to be made known to the public!

Matt and Elektra teaming up to pull off a heist was a bit on the typical "spy movie" side of things, but I enjoy their banter still, and all the ass-kicking certainly helped. And Elodie Yung continues to be just so damn gorgeous.  Almost makes up for the fact that Elektra is insane and probably would have killed everyone in the building if Matt didn't make her promise not to.

That said, the more Matt keeps this from Foggy and especially Karen, the worse it will be.  He really needs to just be like "Hey, Karen.  Just a heads up that a crazy ex of mine is back in the town and while I totally am done with her, she's rich as hell and we really need the money, so I'm trying to help her out with case."  I mean, sure, there will be some awkwardness, but it will probably be better then what I'm guessing will end up happening, because I have to think Karen will find out eventually. These things never stay hidden in TV land.

Brett got that promotion and a new suit!  Go Brett!

So, the Yakuza might actually not be the Yakuza after-all.  What have Matt and Elektra stepped into?!

• Love 4

I don't see Elektra as insane. Deeply traumatised, sure. But she doesn't kill needlessly, and she wants to change - two huge signs that she can get better... theoretically.

I never would have predicted that The Punisher storyline would end up actually having Frank and Karen share scenes, but here we are, and I loved it.

Frank/Karen relationship is something I never expected to see and get explored, but I love it so much.

• Love 2

One thing I love about the way they're presenting Frank -- the vulnerable, honest guy and the brutal murderer are all a part of him. He's both of them and they're both perfectly reconciled together. You can see the way these two sides of him inform the other. It doesn't feel forced of OOC for him to be either of those guys. 

Heheh.  Her reaction was pretty damn funny.  I also liked that scene because the lawyer was played by Neil Grayston, Fargo from Eureka.

Really good episode.  The Matt and Elektra "heist" was a lot of fun and displayed the great chemistry between the two.  This episode also displayed some really strong chemistry between Karen and Frank as well.  Not sure why Matt doesn't tell Foggy that Elektra is the client.

Karen's super dismissive "thanks from all of us" to that lawyers "I believe in protecting women" line was hilarious. Possibly one of my favorite Karen moments.

Elektra and Matt somehow wonder into a spy movie! And it was a ton of fun!

How exactly would that guy be protecting women if he was a public defender in a domestic abuse case? And if he won doesn't that mean an accused abuser went free?

Also the fight at the beginning was awesome. I must have watched it 4 times. Although watching it 4 times i noticed a production error. The first guy they fight has grey hair, but when Elektra jumps from the second floor she punches out a guy with black hair.

Edited by Kel Varnsen

Yeah, I also am not sure why Matt feels the need to lie about Elektra, other than TV drama. It would have been easy to tell Foggy and Karen that the client is an ex of his and that he's helping her with her own case to help their firm stay afloat. It may not be 100% truthful, but it sure as hell beats the inevitable break up Matt and Karen have because of him and Elektra, not that they're necessarily together, but together enough where I'd be fine with Karen getting upset. 

Reyes is certainly coming for them now, and she's going to come hard. I can't help but think that she definitely has something to do with Frank's family being killed, and I'm not sure why. 

I think Foggy is having a bad season. Things are being thrown at him and the man can only do so much before he cracks. 

I've always liked Karen, and nothing's changed in that. I appreciate how passionate she is about her job and how she is willing to do things to get the job done. Her talk with Frank was really strong, and it was mostly due to Jon Bernthal, but Deborah Ann Woll did a good job against him as well. 

The fight scenes are strong, and I am utterly invested in all the characters, surprisingly also Elektra. I wasn't quite sure how I felt about her until her heist with Matt and how she actually didn't try to kill anyone. 

Seeing as we're just barely midway through the season, I wonder how strong the second half of this season will be. I am so behind on watching it but I'm slowly catching up.

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 1

When Matt and Elektra were at the party, I just kept wondering how these guys and Queen Enterprises/Palmer Tech could share the same interior decorator. The marble or whatever kept taking me out of the scene to enjoy the material and wonder about decorators.

I really enjoyed the diner scene. And that the dealbreaker was Matt giving back her pie. Just because you are frustrated, Matt, it's not your food. He's lucky his arm didn't come back a stump.

Karen/Frank is surprisingly a very cool dynamic. I am enjoying it, even though I worry over Karen.

I just want to give Foggy a hug.

• Love 2

Loved the opening scene with the yakuza ninja bikers. Who of course get their arses kicked by Daredevil and Elektra. And really liked Elektra's casual admission that she knew who Daredevil was. She is crazy though. The sort of girl you think you want to meet, but the reality would be terrifying.

Matt's very bitter about their breakup and her behaviour, though. It's an interesting character beat that she brings out in him: childish insults and aspersions about her lifestyle. Their business is so very unfinished, that it's going to be painful for everyone. And Matt's being very dumb in not telling Foggy and Karen the truth about their 'new client'.

Interesting twist to bring them back into Frank Castle's orbit. The threat of a death penalty would naturally upset Matt, Karen and Foggy, even though Foggy tries to resist it. I like how Karen is so down on Reyes. She's a woman who knows how to hold a grudge. And I like that, even when she's scared, she wants to do the right thing.

She's really unfairly maligned, if you ask me. The guts it takes for anyone to be left alone with Castle, even when he's restrained, should not be ignored. And then she started questioning him on his past traumas, as well. Deborah Ann Woll's acting in that scene was fantastic.

Brett got promoted! Awesome! Hopefully he can be an even more useful 'friend' from now on.

So it looks like Reyes is the big bad of the season. I guess corrupt lawyers work as well as corrupt businessmen, for Daredevil. I'm not sure yet wat the hell is going on with her and Castle, though. I don't hope that she's not going to turn out to be in league with the yakuza.

• Love 2

Elektra was better this episode but I feel this whole thing is being played for fake drama with all the lying. Still it seems like the Roxxon plotline is going to be relevant to the arc so at least it's not all about "crazy ex girlfriend".

But this whole thing with Matt lying for the sake of lying is a little too Oliver Queen for me.

I'm really tired of Karen hate. She was really great this season. Glad to see a lot of people recognize it.

Is there Karen hate? It must have passed me by. I'm glad because she's awesome and DAW is awesome. No doubt it's the typical hate that rains down on any female character that has the audacity to exist in a superhero show.

• Love 1
But this whole thing with Matt lying for the sake of lying is a little too Oliver Queen for me.

It's so Oliver. And Barry, too. But then, it seems to be a common superhero trope (and male superhero, at that - I don't recall any females doing this thing, as few as there are of them).

Is there Karen hate? It must have passed me by. I'm glad because she's awesome and DAW is awesome. No doubt it's the typical hate that rains down on any female character that has the audacity to exist in a superhero show.

Well, I remember a lot of very sharp criticism of her after season 1, it's better now. 

How exactly would that guy be protecting women if he was a public defender in a domestic abuse case? And if he won doesn't that mean an accused abuser went free?

Also the fight at the beginning was awesome. I must have watched it 4 times. Although watching it 4 times i noticed a production error. The first guy they fight has grey hair, but when Elektra jumps from the second floor she punches out a guy with black hair.

I'm assuming the public defender was "defending" the wife for fighting back and really hurting the boyfriend/husband. It is the only way that makes sense with his claim.

I think Matt is so used to lying that it really is hard for him to open up at least to Foggy and tell him about Elektra.  It also opens up the history of Matt lying to Foggy.  I'm sure Matt told Foggy that Elektra was a "psycho girlfriend" back then and that is why they broke up, but he certainly didn't tell her about Elektra's skills or about her tracking down Roscoe. 

I think Matt has to break his habit of keeping everything a secret, but it is definitely a conversation that he needs to have with Foggy as far as Elektra is in the mix, he is helping her, and she knows I'm Daredevil.  "Oh and bye the way, we're sort of a Superhero team because Elektra is a ninja and these seeds were planted back when we were in college.  But this was back when I was hiding everything from you."  Not an easy conversation but one that he now needs to have.

Well, I remember a lot of very sharp criticism of [Karen] after season 1, it's better now. 

In season one she vacillated between bland damsel-in-distress and annoying for me, so - even though I loved her in season two - I do think most of the criticism was fair. My original dislike of Karen had nothing to do with her "audacity to exist in a (male) superhero show" - I simply found her underwritten, too much of a walking hero's girlfriend-trope, reckless with other people's lives, and worst of all, boring. The seeds for a great character was there - it just wasn't being utillised. The turning point might have been Wesley's murder, but they didn't do much with that until this season.

• Love 3
On 3/19/2016 at 6:28 PM, JustaPerson said:

I'm way late to the party, but my take on Frank is "Oh, thank God.  They finally got The Punisher right."

• Love 3

I'm also late to the party but I loved the way they portrayed the Punisher and the actor who did it. Loved him in TWD as well. I really like Karen and the way she is advocating for him. I think they play really well together. IMHO, I prefer Karen with either Foggy or Frank before Matt. I've just never really bought the two of them. She is too much into him.

Elektra is growing on me but I prefer with Matt since they already know each other's secrets and faults really well. Not sure about the actress though. One minute she's ok, next she's not.

I like Foggy with Marci if he would just stop using her so much. 

I believe the reason that Matt didn't tell Foggy about Elektra was more due to the fact he was hoping he'd never have to. Matt wanted to get rid of Elektra and move on with his present life. He kept trying to brush her off so that he could pretend all that was in the past, including his feeling for her which still are not resolved. He knew Foggy wouldn't like it, wouldn't like her being there, and he wanted to avoid the confrontation if she left town quickly. He also didn't want to explain why he was getting involve again.