Type keyword(s) to search

The Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Is that different than usual?  She's a chef.  I'd imagine it's easier to have short nails, especially when chopping.

I keep my nails short, but Alex’s are the shortest, tiniest nails I’ve seen and look like those of a bad nail biter.  It was just concerning.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 1

I'd rather have a short nailed chef than a long nailed home cook preparing my meal.

Alex washes her hands, as does Sunny...but washing your hands does not get the the crud out from under long manicured nails that seems to be Sunny's signature.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

I'd rather have a short nailed chef than a long nailed home cook preparing my meal.

Giada & Ina have manicured, pale pink nails. Not sure about Katie (but I bet hers are similar as they don't stand out, which is good). 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

Katie Lee was on Rachael Ray's show today.  It looked like she was in a much bigger kitchen than we usually see on Saturdays.  She also brought out the baby, who is never seen on Saturday.

Doesn't Katie have other houses?

Edited by chessiegal
25 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I remember seeing Katie in two different kitchens on the from-home episodes.  One had her working on a counter, next to a sink and I think a window on the wall above, and the other had her working on an island, with Iris googooing from what seemed like the other side of the island.

I'm pretty sure Katie and her husband have an apartment in NYC and a home in the Hamptons.

When the home episodes first started, she was in a tiny blue kitchen with mirrors for backsplashes and not much counterspace.  Very fugly as I remember.  After her daughter was born, she was in a big white kitchen with an island and huge Wolf range.   

• Love 1

So, where did GZ disappear to?? The last few minutes of today's show featured snacks. Sunny poured melted butter & brown sugar & maybe something else over kettle chips. Then Jeff added stuff to pretzel bites. He even said it was right up GZ's alley. But GZ was missing. Now why would one of the crew just not be a part of this segment?

• Love 1

I've been binge watching the show and GZ often pretends to eat, or eats other things, or drinks something, or is not there.

Even an Alex recipe recently...I think her potato recipe.

Won't be seen really on a single episode but over time it is obvious, imo.

• Love 1

It used to be the norm for one of the hosts to just randomly disappear in at least one segment.  I think it happened less when they were down to 4 chefs and then at home shows started just as Alex came on.  Now that they're back in the studio (and all5 of them are back inside) it looks like they're starting that again.

• Love 1
On 1/29/2022 at 12:07 PM, annzeepark914 said:

So, where did GZ disappear to?? The last few minutes of today's show featured snacks. Sunny poured melted butter & brown sugar & maybe something else over kettle chips. Then Jeff added stuff to pretzel bites. He even said it was right up GZ's alley. But GZ was missing. Now why would one of the crew just not be a part of this segment?

I totally noticed he disappeared. Yes, there's plenty of times one of them aren't in a segment, but not usually the very last one and I can't ever remember them mentioning the missing cast member. 

I can't blame GZ for not eating anything Sunny makes after seeing her with the shredded chicken for her garlic toast pizzas. She just keep running her fingers thru it, tossing it around, literally playing with it. Um, I'm far from shunning the 5 second rule for certain things, and have no problems with chefs using their hands to cook, but watching her hands in the chicken for NO REASON was just gross. 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

I can't blame GZ for not eating anything Sunny makes after seeing her with the shredded chicken for her garlic toast pizzas. She just keep running her fingers thru it, tossing it around, literally playing with it. Um, I'm far from shunning the 5 second rule for certain things, and have no problems with chefs using their hands to cook, but watching her hands in the chicken for NO REASON was just gross. 

I'd say...mostly it's her fingernails. They are so strange (& in a way, unhealthy) looking. And anyway, that garlic toast "pizza" wasn't appealing to me at all. Can't fault GZ.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'd say...mostly it's her fingernails. They are so strange (& in a way, unhealthy) looking.

I'm totally ignorant about the manicures people get these days, but aren't most people's fingernails fake, especially the ones that are all painted up?  They all looks strange to me, but not necessarily unhealthy because I assume I'm not looking at their actual fingernails.

I remember the from-home episodes, and she didn't have anything on her nails, which wasn't like her but I figured she wasn't getting manicures during the pandemic.

I'm jealous of Iris's bespoke baby food. 

• Love 1
On 1/29/2022 at 12:07 PM, annzeepark914 said:

In my head GZ walked out when Sunny used Texas toast for pizza crust.

I didn't love the recipes this episode, although I am up for any take on katsu. And I appreciate Katie continuing to push the tofu.

On 1/26/2022 at 3:53 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I remember seeing Katie in two different kitchens on the from-home episodes.  One had her working on a counter, next to a sink and I think a window on the wall above, and the other had her working on an island, with Iris googooing from what seemed like the other side of the island.

We never got confirmation on this but I was convinced the blue mirror kitchen was redone. I haven't seen it in a long time and Katie sounds like she's still spending a significant amount of time in the Hamptons. 

• Love 1
On 1/31/2022 at 12:11 PM, chick binewski said:

We never got confirmation on this but I was convinced the blue mirror kitchen was redone. I haven't seen it in a long time and Katie sounds like she's still spending a significant amount of time in the Hamptons. 

Katie said in a social media post a while back that the ugly blue mirror kitchen was a rental they were living in while the other Hamptons home was being remodeled. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

Sunny wasn’t on this Saturday. What a big difference it made; it was almost a completely different show!

In a good way, I'm assuming? I stopped recording it, so I think I missed a show that might've been worth watching.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

In a good way, I'm assuming? I stopped recording it, so I think I missed a show that might've been worth watching.

In a great way!  It was a calmer show without her constantly yelling.  

5 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Good Lord, I didn't even notice!

At the beginning of the show, which as you know was a football snack-themed show, GZ said she was at an away game.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

At the beginning of the show, which as you know was a football snack-themed show, GZ said she was at an away game.

I can't explain why this had me laughing so hard. I think it made me remember when my parents said that a pet who died was now living at a farm in the country.

I'll go slap myself.

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • LOL 5
On 1/23/2022 at 4:25 PM, buttersister said:

At least when Alex speaks, she delivers useful information.

But to me it comes off as preachy.  Like 'now children, listen and I will show the absolute best way to...'  And for her pile on when the others go after Geoffrey drives me insane.  I don't find him pretentious though I can see where others would, and I don't necessarily like all the food he makes.  Any time it looks as though someone is singled out to be the whipping boy, no matter the pretext, it makes me mad.  

Somebody needs to replace Jeff's coffee with decaf, stat. Calm down!

• Love 5
On 2/8/2022 at 11:04 AM, Mondrianyone said:

It depends on whether you approve of Jeff's antics or not.  He was in full flower, including throwing a football.

Katie's use of canned enchilada sauce to make enchiladas bugged me.  Maybe because I don't have a "favorite" because I've never tried any of them.  I tried canned menudo once and that was enough to make me insist on "freshly made" when it comes to any Mexican food.

But we got to see GZ served a dish with canned enchilada sauce, not by Sunny.  That kind of made the show worth watching.  I don't recall if they showed him actually tasting it.

GZ seemed in exceptionally good spirits and he and Jeff were really bro-ing out.  

I record it these days then watch or delete, depending. Thanks, bro-ing gets deleted.

And while this may be an UO, I’ll take Sunny over Jeff any day. Equally loud, less ishing and awkward blathering.

I was a little meh that GZ was making chocolate pudding for Valentin's Day since I feel it's always some sort of mousse or pudding--both of which texturally bore me.

That said, I was happy to see him whip out olive oil and sea salt to top the whipped cream. There's a restaurant here that puts that on top of their ice cream and it's so good.

LOL! Caught the end of a retro food rerun. Sunny made a two-tone jello and whipped cream number, which they all tasted. Hilariously, while she and Jeff kept eating it, GZ and Katie put theirs down fast, eyed each other and grabbed some veg or fruit pieces from a previous dish!

• LOL 3

I tuned in around 11:20 when Alex was making the avocado toast. While it didn't appeal to me, I'm going to make a whipped avocado on toast version & add some of her garnishes. Her fried shrimp dish looked very good. I like fried lemon slices (but the taste depends on the lemon's skin...some can be OTT bitter). She & GZ mentioned how much they like Japanese mayonnaise. That's interesting. I might have to buy a jar.

54 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

I've been watching older episodes (currently on season 5) and GZ used to try things a lot more than he does now. Interesting. I wonder what the story is there. Maybe just a desire to eat less crap food.

Today GZ wrapped up the fried shrimp inside the lettuce &  devoured it while Jeff was talking. So, he's very selective re: what he'll eat (don't blame him!)

• Love 1

That'sinteresting. I might have to buy a jar.

Kewpie Mayo comes in a squeeze tube. It’s tasty! If you can’t find it, and don’t want to make it from scratch (egg yolks only/msg), you can add two tablespoons of rice vinegar and one tablespoon of granulated sugar to a cup of mayo to get the tang and sweetness.

• Useful 1
On 2/12/2022 at 11:00 PM, Irlandesa said:

That said, I was happy to see him whip out olive oil and sea salt to top the whipped cream.

I'm just gonna say it.  I don't like olive oil.  I even went to an olive oil store once, where you could taste them, and I didn't like a single one of them.  I'll eat it when it's in a saucer and you dip bread in it, but it always tastes rancid to me.  But I like bread so much I'll do it.

I wonder if it's something like how I've heard that cilantro tastes like soap to some people.  But in that case, there are enough of them that it's a known thing.  I've never found anybody else who doesn't like olive oil.  Or maybe they're just ashamed to admit it.

@StatisticalOutlier: I've been using light olive oil for years. It doesn't have that heaviness and I've never thought it smelled rancid. Of course, I use it just about every day or so...it doesn't sit in my pantry forever. 

1 hour ago, buttersister said:

Kewpie Mayo comes in a squeeze tube. It’s tasty! If you can’t find it, and don’t want to make it from scratch (egg yolks only/msg), you can add two tablespoons of rice vinegar and one tablespoon of granulated sugar to a cup of mayo to get the tang and sweetness.

This sounds like Miracle Whip. Is it similar?

1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I'm just gonna say it.  I don't like olive oil.  I even went to an olive oil store once, where you could taste them, and I didn't like a single one of them.  I'll eat it when it's in a saucer and you dip bread in it, but it always tastes rancid to me.  But I like bread so much I'll do it.

On top of ice cream, it tastes like butterscotch.  But I don't like doing shots of olive oil either.  I do like it on top of my vegetables---flavored olive oil like garlic or rosemary.

4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

This sounds like Miracle Whip. Is it similar?

I completely understand why you’d ask with that description. But both the taste and the texture (no egg whites) are different. (Oh look, I agree with GZ on something!)

I like Kewpie for things like bahn mi sandwiches and Japanese pancakes (okonomiyaki) or Japanese potato salad. Otherwise, mom raised a Hellman’s girl. 

• Useful 1

GZ was on the Rachael Ray show recently and they showed his exercise regime.  Perhaps his fitness stands in the way of his eating everything.

Apparently he posts videos of his exercise on Instagram on Wednesdays.

3 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

GZ was on the Rachael Ray show recently and they showed his exercise regime.  Perhaps his fitness stands in the way of his eating everything.

Apparently he posts videos of his exercise on Instagram on Wednesdays.

We need an eye roll for stuff like this. Geez GZ🙄

3 hours ago, buttersister said:

Well that explains the makeover (the good hair and much better makeup), along with more FN shows than I can count (and daily Twitter engagement), looks like she's moving on.

Wow sad, but I don't follow any of this online. She does look happier, I hope all is good with her and her family.

• Love 1