Type keyword(s) to search

The Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I have to hand it to her for going on the Slip'N Slide.  I know almost nothing about her, but she didn't seem like the type to do that.

That did make me lol. I don't even know why, it just did. 

I don't know what it is but Katie lee has really grown on me.  She just doesn't bug me too much.  On a shallow note,  I love her hair. 

• Love 1

I couldn't think of anywhere else to post this, so my feelings won't be hurt if the mods make it disappear.  But . . .

Geoffrey Zakarian's 9-year-old daughter was on the episode of Martha Bakes that our local PBS channel ran yesterday.  This latest season Martha is having students from culinary schools come in and watch her bake and ask questions, etc.  I'm assuming that Madeline was there visiting with her dad, and because she's an aspiring pastry chef, she was invited to join the older students.  She couldn't be more adorable, and she looks just like Geoffrey.  So while GZ was missing from his own show, his little girl was flying the flag on Martha's.  (And am I the only person watching that?  I was sure there'd be a thread for it, but not that I can find.)

On The Kitchen itself, there were some goofy tips I thought I might really use.  Like the punch-bowl ice flowers molded in the bottoms of soda bottles.  And one other I can't remember right now.  They were less crafty and more actually food-related, which is a good thing (as Martha would say!).

• Love 2

I personally think Marcella Valladolid is the most annoying on the show. It's almost as if she's not use to being Mexican! For example her constantly over doing Jalapeños. WE GET IT!!! GO AWAY!!! Maybe she should teach a Spanish class instead!

• Love 3

Yeah Sunny was always obnoxious and shouty but it's gotten soooooo bad. Way too much make-up and even more, louder shouting. Also she is not talented at talking with food in her mouth- please stop doing it  

As for the tasting sometimes it seems like they try to act like children " I want some! I want some!" Or " yeah yeah gimme gimme". So ridiculous and annoying. 

• Love 2

Just watched today's show, and if Marcela isn't pregnant again, the dress she wore sure made it look that way.

Purple lipstick probably isn't anyone's friend. 

On a food-related note, that pizza dough was somewhat similar to a recipe I've been researching for the last couple of days.  It's called Miracle Dough (or Universal Dough or Crazy Dough).  Unlike today's recipe, it does have yeast in it, but it also includes yogurt, and it sounds very intriguing.  I'm going to try making pizza with it sometime this week.  Sunny's dough didn't look as if it would end up being as pliable as the dough in the finished pizza they showed, but it would be interesting to see how pizza dough without yeast really turns out.

• Love 1
On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 7:23 PM, Mondrianyone said:

Just watched today's show, and if Marcela isn't pregnant again, the dress she wore sure made it look that way.

Purple lipstick probably isn't anyone's friend. 

On a food-related note, that pizza dough was somewhat similar to a recipe I've been researching for the last couple of days.  It's called Miracle Dough (or Universal Dough or Crazy Dough).  Unlike today's recipe, it does have yeast in it, but it also includes yogurt, and it sounds very intriguing.  I'm going to try making pizza with it sometime this week.  Sunny's dough didn't look as if it would end up being as pliable as the dough in the finished pizza they showed, but it would be interesting to see how pizza dough without yeast really turns out.

I agree and was thinking the same thing regarding that horrible lipstick and how gumpy the irritation station Marcella looked in that dress. The both of them have terrible styles and/or stylist. ??

Edited by Yolo

That's good!  After I posted about it, I worried a little that it sounded catty, which wasn't how I meant the comment.  She didn't look fat, just pregnant.  And last week was the first time she seemed to be really showing, so I don't think you missed anything at all, MerBearHou.  I wish her the best.

Edited by Mondrianyone
because . . . punctuation
  • Love 1

I have never before posted in any of the threads for The Kitchen (or, if I have it wasn't anytime recently, and I don't remember doing so), though I watch the show every week.  After 2 or 3 episodes of being puzzled about this mystery, I came here to get the info that I see you guys have been discussing!  I sought out this forum for the sole purpose of asking, "Why is Marcella suddenly not drinking?  Is she sick?  She can't be pregnant again, can she?"  I kept thinking that she couldn't be pregnant because surely we would have seen an announcement on the show.  So then I assumed that maybe I missed the actual announcement when forwarding through a boring segment or something.

Did Marcella actually say something about it on The Kitchen (that I guess I skipped past)?  Or did she announce it off of the show?  Any ideas as to how far along she is, or when she is due?  It seems like she was drinking alcohol on the show until just a few episodes ago, but I could be imagining that.

I am waiting for Daphne Oz's next baby.  I have a feeling she is going to have a lot of kids.   When she was pregnant the first time, the announcement was a big moment on The Chew and her co-hosts were apparently surprised (or so they claimed).  When she got pregnant the second time around, it almost seemed like they were all trying to not draw attention to it -- although astute viewers noticed that she was not drinking alcohol.

Edited by Sherry67
7 hours ago, Sherry67 said:

I have never before posted in any of the threads for The Kitchen (or, if I have it wasn't anytime recently, and I don't remember doing so), though I watch the show every week.  After 2 or 3 episodes of being puzzled about this mystery, I came here to get the info that I see you guys have been discussing!  I sought out this forum for the sole purpose of asking, "Why is Marcella suddenly not drinking?  Is she sick?  She can't be pregnant again, can she?"  I kept thinking that she couldn't be pregnant because surely we would have seen an announcement on the show.  So then I assumed that maybe I missed the actual announcement when forwarding through a boring segment or something.

Did Marcella actually say something about it on The Kitchen (that I guess I skipped past)?  Or did she announce it off of the show?  Any ideas as to how far along she is, or when she is due?  It seems like she was drinking alcohol on the show until just a few episodes ago, but I could be imagining that.

I am waiting for Daphne Oz's next baby.  I have a feeling she is going to have a lot of kids.   When she was pregnant the first time, the announcement was a big moment on The Chew and her co-hosts were apparently surprised (or so they claimed).  When she got pregnant the second time around, it almost seemed like they were all trying to not draw attention to it -- although astute viewers noticed that she was not drinking alcohol.

Marcella announced her pregnancy (she is having a girl) a few weeks ago.

3 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Marcella announced her pregnancy (she is having a girl) a few weeks ago.

Right.  I see that mentioned above in this thread, on August 27th.  But where was the announcement made?  On The Kitchen?  Which episode was it?  That's what I'm trying to figure out.  I watch and/or record every episode, and I only fast forward through specific cooking segments that don't interest me.  I'm trying to figure out which episode it was, or during which kind of segment, because I don't know how I could have missed it.  It appears that I wasn't the only one who missed it.  Was it during one of the alcohol segments at the end?

Edited by Sherry67
8 hours ago, Sherry67 said:

Right.  I see that mentioned above in this thread, on August 27th.  But where was the announcement made?  On The Kitchen?  Which episode was it?  That's what I'm trying to figure out.  I watch and/or record every episode, and I only fast forward through specific cooking segments that don't interest me.  I'm trying to figure out which episode it was, or during which kind of segment, because I don't know how I could have missed it.  It appears that I wasn't the only one who missed it.  Was it during one of the alcohol segments at the end?

I don't recall which episode it was, just that it was in the very beginning when they all compliment each other and tell each other how nice everybody looks. I believe Katie Lee told Marcella she had a "glow" about her, and Marcella said something like, "this is not a repeat, I'm pregnant and it's a girl." Then they all oohed and aahed and fawned over her and then it was business as usual and the show carried on.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

I don't recall which episode it was, just that it was in the very beginning when they all compliment each other and tell each other how nice everybody looks. I believe Katie Lee told Marcella she had a "glow" about her, and Marcella said something like, "this is not a repeat, I'm pregnant and it's a girl." Then they all oohed and aahed and fawned over her and then it was business as usual and the show carried on.

I can't believe that I missed it, now that you explain where it was in the episode.  I usually don't start fast-forwarding until specific cooking segments I don't care about come on, or maybe a boring guest appears, but I should have been paying attention at the beginning of the show!  I don't know how that slipped past me.

Thank you for clearing that up for me -- I was really curious, and assumed that the pregnancy announcement must have come during one of the "5 o'clock somewhere" segments... which turns out to not be the case at all!  Lol.

14 minutes ago, Sherry67 said:

I can't believe that I missed it, now that you explain where it was in the episode.  I usually don't start fast-forwarding until specific cooking segments I don't care about come on, or maybe a boring guest appears, but I should have been paying attention at the beginning of the show!  I don't know how that slipped past me.

Thank you for clearing that up for me -- I was really curious, and assumed that the pregnancy announcement must have come during one of the "5 o'clock somewhere" segments... which turns out to not be the case at all!  Lol.

It was very low-key ... blink and you missed it.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Sherry67 said:

Right.  I see that mentioned above in this thread, on August 27th.  But where was the announcement made?  On The Kitchen?  Which episode was it? 

It was announced on the 27th so we've only known officially about a week.

• Love 1

I don't watch this show on a regular basis anymore because Jeff and Sunny were becoming too over the top for me, but I do read this forum for snark enjoyment and I do occasionally watch the show. I am hoping that Marcella doesnt return when this next baby is born. And I am praying that Sunny finds a new colorist...her recent lip and eye color choices are far from flattering on her pretty face.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

The only thing Katie is famous for is being married to her father, uh, I mean, Billy Joel.  Her Valley Girl voice and talentless self is beyond annoying.  I have no idea why she's on any show.  And her cookbooks, yuck.  Nothing new or innovative.  

• Love 4
On Thursday, September 08, 2016 at 7:17 AM, Spunkygal said:

I don't watch this show on a regular basis anymore because Jeff and Sunny were becoming too over the top for me, but I do read this forum for snark enjoyment and I do occasionally watch the show. I am hoping that Marcella doesnt return when this next baby is born. And I am praying that Sunny finds a new colorist...her recent lip and eye color choices are far from flattering on her pretty face.

SPOT ON!!!!!?

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, Mammalou said:

I'm sorry but Marcela's tuna in a chile looks nasty!!! And Katie eating everything in sight, presenting burnt meatballs and raw pasta.. I can't. Canned pineapple on a skewer?! What's going on!? Lol

I was thinking the same thing!!!! Marcella's dish looked disgusting and Katie's tuna balls looked dry and unappealing!! Sunny AND Katie both are the greedy guts on the show hands down. Sunny grabbed a tuna ball out of GZ'S bowl.??

Let's go ahead and get Marcella off the show! Katie and Sunny you both need to eat something light before cooking, it's not that serious to be so damn greedy. Something that bothers me(maybe it's just me), but who wants to sit and eat something that everyone keeps putting their nose up to.? Now that's DISGUSTING!!! This happens on most if not all the shows.

Edited by Yolo
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Mammalou said:

I'm sorry but Marcela's tuna in a chile looks nasty!!! And Katie eating everything in sight, presenting burnt meatballs and raw pasta.. I can't. Canned pineapple on a skewer?! What's going on!? Lol

I thought the idea of adding peas and/or corn to tuna was interesting and something I might do to my next batch of tuna pasta salad, but definitely would not put a tuna mix into a chile. However, GZ's quickie oven stir fry looked like a good recipe and something that would actually work. But I would definitely want some sauce and/or some rice on the side. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Mammalou said:

My favorite thing about that segment was the fact that GZ and Sunny both couldn't even fake liking it very well.  GZ didn't even try and then Sunny started talking about the "crunch" and everything but how amazing it tasts.  I've had tuna salads with pasta that had peas and it's good.  Every once in a while I'll add peas to it if I'm not putting it on bread.  I bet corn would be good too. But the chile?  No. 

GZ's dish is the only one that appealed to me.  And I rarely make recipes from any show but it looks easy and healthy so I could see myself giving this a go.

• Love 1

OH, Sunny, Sunny, Sunny....tsk, tsk. Girlfriend, you are SUCH a pretty woman. Haven't you ever heard that cosmetics are supposed to enhance your natural beauty, not detract from it. Her lips look like they were caught in a nuclear reactor. That's all I could see when I looked at her....nuclear lips. And as we get older, believe me, less is more!! 

• Love 5

As someone who wears crazy colors, there are still rules with it. Main one? Pastel based colors generally look HORRIBLE on brown skinned girls. And furthermore? That blue went with absolutely nothing she had on.  There are plenty of vibrant purples she could have worn if she was tired of the natural look, at least it would have gone with her ugly outfit

• Love 2
On 10/11/2016 at 0:26 AM, Watermelon said:

As someone who wears crazy colors, there are still rules with it. Main one? Pastel based colors generally look HORRIBLE on brown skinned girls. And furthermore? That blue went with absolutely nothing she had on.  There are plenty of vibrant purples she could have worn if she was tired of the natural look, at least it would have gone with her ugly outfit

I have to give an Amen to this right here. This seems to be a new trend w my girlfriends and I just can't make it stop. In what world does blue and brown match? Go together? It don't. I applaud them for stepping out on a limb and trying different shades but this is going to be of those times we look back at old pics and shake our heads.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 2

Has anyone ever made the Mississippi roast that today's guest is famous for which includes pepperoncini and one stick of butter? I do cook roast in the slow cooker but the thought of adding a stick of butter! Yikes! I love the pepperoncini idea though. Also, for some reason, Marcella really got on my nerves today. I'm ready for her to go on maternity leave.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Has anyone ever made the Mississippi roast that today's guest is famous for which includes pepperoncini and one stick of butter? I do cook roast in the slow cooker but the thought of adding a stick of butter! Yikes! I love the pepperoncini idea though. Also, for some reason, Marcella really got on my nerves today. I'm ready for her to go on maternity leave.

Yeah,  a stick of butter with a roast sounded odd. The pepperoncini did sound interesting. I don't cook much meat and haven't looked at her recipe. Now that  I think about it I wonder if she browned the roast in butter first? 

I'll be honest I was cringing at her chicken dish.  I know,  I know many people cook that way.  I'd be so embarrassed to be throwing mushroom soup and ranch powder in a  crackpot,  while a chef looked on.  The mushrooms looked delicious and would have added so much flavor with some easy herbs and spices.  Thicken it and add chicken. I did giggle when she said you don't have to add salt.... I was like you think? 

I shouldn't be so judgey ,  considering the show was about quick and easy shortcuts or what ever. 

I thought my mom was the only person who did the pepperonicini roast thing. No butter or ranch powders and stuff though. Just the roast and the peppers with juice and at the end she'd shred it with a couple forks and pile it on crusty bread. It's insanely good. But I must admit, I'm curious to try the Mississippi version. The chicken though? Noooo.

I'm also kind of obsessing over the pasta al forno and that chicken stir fry. I will be making both of those this week. I will not, however, participate in repurposed frozen pizza! Even Katie didn't eat it.

• Love 3

I have a feeling that Mississippi roast is one of those things that tastes embarrassingly good in spite of what you know is in it.  I'd probably go hide in the basement to eat it.  I don't think I'll be making it anytime soon, though.

As long as Geoffrey goes on cashing those paychecks, he's no better than the rest of them, Iron Chef or no.  It really is too bad how this show keeps looking for the bottom.  Whenever I think they've finally found it, they go lower.  I used to watch it unironically.

• Love 4

I actually enjoyed this program for the first couple of years. However, between the yelling, the crappy recipes and Sunny's blue lipstick/eye shadows from hell/hair, I've given up. The only one I like is Geoffrey but he's sold his soul for an advertisement for his restaurants. 

• Love 3

Agree to disagree -- I think the show's fun.  No, Sunny shouldn't wear purple or green lipstick and the crafts could be deleted altogether, but I enjoy the cooking and cocktails elements and the friendly dynamics between the hosts.  Marcela remains my least favorite by quite a bit. 

Update to the above after watching today's show:  if Tregaye is ever on The Kitchen again, I'm not watching.  She is so overly impressed with her own self -- her self-described cuteness (NOT) and her manner of speaking annoys me beyond words.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I couldn't even look at Sunny with her lipstick today.

Random: I hate powdered sugar.  Why people feel the need to use it as garnish on things that are aready sweet defy logic to me.

Yes! Wow...the lipstick. Was it green or was it yellow? It was hideous. All I could see was her mouth. Thank god she downplayed the eyeshadow.

Not liking powdered sugar is probably unAmerican. I feel that way about cilantro. Yuck.

• Love 1