Type keyword(s) to search

The Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Maverick said:

They do take a perverse pleasure in scaring the ever loving shit out of her, though. 

Sometimes it's the little things that can bring such joy...🙃

• Wink 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 10/15/2022 at 5:27 PM, Gramto6 said:

Yeah, I don't usually watch the whole show until Monday morning, watched the last bit this morning, but it does bug me that GZ doesn't  taste a lot of things. Is it some sort of dietary restrictions/allergies? It doesn't make sense for a person on a cooking show not to taste at least a bite of the food. It is odd...

If it's something Sunny has made, 99% of the time I wouldn't taste it either.

On 10/15/2022 at 7:56 PM, maggiemae said:

I think it is because GZ is vain and distains regular cooking.

I wonder if his kids even eat kid food at birthday parties. Probably never ate at a fast food place.

ETA - he will eat anything on other shows where he is a judge.

We aren't wealthy, but I was fortunate enough to either work from home part-time or be a stay-at-home parent for the first few years of my kids' lives, and convenience food was not part of their lives.  The first time my oldest was taken to a fast food "restaurant" for a birthday party, she had fries and a strawberry milkshake.  She got home and said she wanted a nap.  A little later I heard her crying and went to her room and it was as if she'd been visited by the exorcist!  Pink vomit everywhere.  (And I mean everywhere!)

They're in their thirties now, and continue to eat well.

• Like 1

Sunny finally found a show on FN where she can scream/yell if she wants to going by the commercials for it. She's a part of NFL Tailgate Takedown which started this month. I don't think I really want to watch though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, Jaded said:

Sunny finally found a show on FN where she can scream/yell if she wants to going by the commercials for it. She's a part of NFL Tailgate Takedown which started this month. I don't think I really want to watch though.

I would watch if not for Sunny.  She is yelling so much.  Out of curiosity, I checked out the comments about the show on the Food Network Facebook page -- literally 99% say the same thing -- Sunny's yelling, laughing SO loudly, and talking over everyone really turn people (and the FN channel) off.  It's so "look at me, look at me".  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

Does this mean she'll no longer be on The Kitchen? 🤞🙏 

58 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Does this mean she'll no longer be on The Kitchen? 🤞🙏 

No.  She was there today.  Tailgate Takedown is a Food Network series that probably has about 6 episodes and likely was filmed months ago like all the other competition shows on FN.  There were a few The Kitchen episodes in the fall that had Sunny missing on "special assignment."  This is probably that assignment.  Just like she misses a few episodes around the time she films her Easter basket showdown.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

It is not just the yelling her comments...

For me it is her nails...the length and painting and digging into preparing food.

Disgusting. I don't see this with other women or men cooks/chefs...never notice their nails.

• Applause 2
  • Useful 1
9 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

It is not just the yelling her comments...

For me it is her nails...the length and painting and digging into preparing food.

Disgusting. I don't see this with other women or men cooks/chefs...never notice their nails.

Ewww. One never knows what lurks under those talons.  Ina and Giada have manicured short nails with a very pale pink or just a clear coat. 

• Like 3
On 1/21/2023 at 9:06 PM, maggiemae said:

I noticed GZ ate today...about 1/3 t of cottage cheese.

Maybe he's competing with Katie. Maybe she's naturally skinny and can eat fat and carbs without gaining weight? I do enjoy GZ's cocktail recipes.

I watch this occasionally, but never noticed Sunny being loud or obnoxious.  Maybe, I’m immune.  I do watch a lot of reality tv.  Lol

I was shocked to accidentally learn something about Katie!  

Spoiler

I read that she was married to Billy Joel when in her early 20s!  

• Like 3
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I watch this occasionally, but never noticed Sunny being loud or obnoxious.  Maybe, I’m immune.  I do watch a lot of reality tv.  Lol

I was shocked to accidentally learn something about Katie!  

Hide contents

I read that she was married to Billy Joel when in her early 20s!  

I'm not sure why you put Katie's marriage to Billie Joel under a spoiler. It's well known. 😉

• Like 1

On the latest episode, Jeff made some fudge brownies that were supposed to be the base for toppings.  Katie and Alex munched down on unfestooned brownies, saying they were fantastic the way they are.

Among the toppings were various pieces of fresh fruit.  Zakarian dished up some of the fruit on his plate, to the side of the brownie.  And the two shots of him after that showed him eating only the fruit, with an untouched brownie next to it.

Gaaah, he grates.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

On the latest episode, Jeff made some fudge brownies that were supposed to be the base for toppings.  Katie and Alex munched down on unfestooned brownies, saying they were fantastic the way they are.

Among the toppings were various pieces of fresh fruit.  Zakarian dished up some of the fruit on his plate, to the side of the brownie.  And the two shots of him after that showed him eating only the fruit, with an untouched brownie next to it.

Gaaah, he grates.

Can you imagine being married to this culinary killjoy? Why is someone, who selectively eats very few foods that his fellow chefs/cooks make, still on this show? I no longer watch... can't handle stuff like this + the 2 loudmouths. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 2/7/2023 at 10:37 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Gaaah, he grates.

I was watching what I think was an old episode a couple weeks ago where one of them made soup of some kind. I mention it because I was shocked to see Zakarian with his spoon going back for more quite a few times. It was so unlike what he usually does which is why I remembered it. He does grate in the way he either takes a small nibble or doesn't try stuff at all after it's already been served to him. He's not as attractive as he thinks and those tight shirts have looked so stupid especially on shows like the ones on FN where when it's not Halloween nobody really cares as much what anyone is wearing.

I don't watch this show all that often anymore usually. Currently I'm stuck somewhere with limited channel options so FN is what I use as an escape or for background noise. I was keeping it on HLN and even when it was just on in the background all of that continuous true crime wasn't doing my brain any favors.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 2

I’ve been meaning to come here for awhile to see if my opinions were shared and I see that they are.  Where to begin! Sunny with her screeching, Jeff with his goofy and unfunny shtick, Alex who seems like she doesn’t want to be there which I guess I can understand. 

But the one who most annoys me is Zakarian. He is the biggest food snob I’ve ever seen and I used to think that was Bobby Flay. I can’t believe he is allowed to rarely taste anything the others cook. Its so obvious. And I agree with the idea of rotating chefs in and out and he would be my first choice to take out. 

I actually heard him say on Saturdays show that he’s never in his life eaten a brownie made from a mix. Wow. Like that would be the most appalling thing he can think of. He needs to go. Give him his own show with Flay and some of the insufferable judges I see on Chopped so I can be sure and never watch

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I just received a form letter advising me that they received my communication and I could go to their Help Center (I checked but it wasn't applicable to my request to find replacements for GZ & Sunny). Then it said that my communication would be directed to the appropriate staff. Who knows? Hopefully a lot of other folks have made similar requests. Actually, I don't think FN really cares what we like/dislike.

• Like 2

They care, but their definition of caring is probably going to be based more on ratings and online engagement--i.e. whose recipes drive people to their website--than complaints asking for multiple cast members to be replaced unless there's a massive amount of complaints.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

Having Jeff act like an idiot with repeated recipes all alone is a no-go. 

When Jeff is calm and makes thoughtful comments (I’ve seen him be that way several times on OTHER shows besides The Kitchen), he is wonderful and smart.  I wish someone would clue him in — or maybe they’ve tried but he thinks it’s better TV being this hyper persona.  

• Like 3

LOL, I was reading an article in the US Sun and at the bottom were the click bait photos. One had the Kitchen "Stars" with Rachel Ray and the caption was something like "FN cancels show after 16 years." I got all excited and clicked on it...Rachel Ray is cancelled...too bad, that really got my hopes up!!

• LOL 3

Sunny is especially irritating this morning with her YELLING and loud guffawing. She's obnoxious.  What is with her, anyway?  Alex and Katie have nice normal voices and they don't run around the kitchen screaming.  

• Like 3

I'm usually pretty chill about The Kitchen annoyances but I was pretty irritated today.  All of them were over the top about "breaking the rules" but Sunny especially.

And all of the "rules-breaking" items weren't all that shocking.  Lobster mac and cheese is a pretty common restaurant item. Mixing wet and dry ingredients is also not that much of a taboo. 

I'm also irritated that Alex and GZ kept talking about why it was usually a sin to break pasta which I do know is usually a not accepted practice.  But they never said why it's a sin.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the breaking-the-rules show.  Their horror at cooking a frozen steak seemed genuine.  Plus they seemed to be having a good time.

I noticed that Zakarian tasted everything, so his "issues" on other episodes can't be diet related.  And I laughed when he wondered if you could use fresh pineapple instead of crushed pineapple in the cake.  I'm wondering if he even knows what crushed pineapple in a can is.

Zakarian said he got yelled at once in Italy for twirling; he said someone said, "No, no, no."  But they all agreed that you never cut pasta.  Sounds like a personal decision to me.

Alex was really overdoing the "literally"s and "honestly"s, but I laughed when Zakarian was showing how he scrapes the stem of a mushroom with a paring knife, and Alex said, "Is your wife playing a harp in the background?"

• LOL 3
12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

If you don't swirl the pasta, how are you supposed to eat it? Grab a forkful and slurp it up like ramen noodles? Sounds messy to me.

If I recall correctly, it was a soup that Alex made, so the noodles were more like ramen I suppose.  

ETA: Looked up the recipe and it is in fact a bowl of broken toasted pasta. Looks like a very thick sauce which probably helps get it on a fork. I only pay 1/2 attention to the show and missed it was called Fideo...

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

If you break the pasta, you can't twirl it around your fork & have a real forkful of spaghetti or linguine or fettuccine, etc. 

Back when I had smaller pots, I had to break the pasta in half.  I still managed to get some forkfuls.  But thank you for the response.

I hit up Google to see if there was a more sensible reason but nope, it sounds like your reason is THE reason. 

• Wink 1
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Back when I had smaller pots, I had to break the pasta in half.  I still managed to get some forkfuls.  But thank you for the response.

I hit up Google to see if there was a more sensible reason but nope, it sounds like your reason is THE reason. 

Stanley Tucci feels the same way. He gets very angry when people break pasta in half (learned that in his recent book) 😸.

• LOL 1

Mr. Outlier cuts his spaghetti and twirls the shortened pieces to a certain extent.  (But he claims to have a small throat and doesn't take monster bites like I do.)

When I was growing up, my mother made that long spaghetti that I never see in grocery stores any more, and didn't break it.  She had a friend once ask her if she had a special long pan that went over two burners.

One thing I appreciated about the long stuff was that you were more likely to get clumps from bending it around in the pan.  I love the clumps, but it's pretty much impossible to get them these days.

Nobody ever cut that long spaghetti in our house, and we became a family of expert twirlers.  There's a technique when it's that long, though, because you can't just drop your fork and twirl because just one or two strands will fill a fork--you have to be very mindful of your starting amount. 

• Useful 1