Type keyword(s) to search

The Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

But what's up with Alex's hair in the last couple of episodes?  It looks like she did the Marlo Thomas thing at the end of the intro to That Girl where she rubbed her hands all in her hair and mussed it up.

I'll have to watch on Saturday. There was a FN special program she was on recently and I could not believe how pretty she looked. Great hairstyle & beautiful make up. 

On 2/8/2022 at 12:18 AM, Koalagirl said:

Sunny wasn’t on this Saturday. What a big difference it made; it was almost a completely different show!

I haven't watched in a couple of weeks, but am watching today. I missed the very beginning, but first thing I noticed was no Sunny. I'm not missing her. 

On 2/23/2022 at 8:36 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

But what's up with Alex's hair in the last couple of episodes?  It looks like she did the Marlo Thomas thing at the end of the intro to That Girl where she rubbed her hands all in her hair and mussed it up.

I have to admit, my first thought was she looks kinda a mess today. The hair looks unbrushed and just too much. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, MerBearHou said:

The Kitchen wasn’t on here in Houston today.  Some quirky woman named Mary doing a French cooking show and now blasted Beat Bobby Flay.

I was just looking to see if there's a thread for Mary Makes It Easy. I loved the steak frites she made. Not watching Bobby Flay!

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Maybe Alex has to have a pro do her hair & make-up, and she did her own for today's show 😟.

This is the third episode I've noticed the "messy" hairdo, although today it looked slightly less messy than the previous two.  But still not that sleek look she had a while back, that looked so good.  As @Fostersmom described it, unbrushed and just too much.  Unbrushed isn't the same as deliberately messy.

2 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

The Kitchen wasn’t on here in Houston today.  Some quirky woman named Mary doing a French cooking show and now blasted Beat Bobby Flay.

Are you sure you're not an hour off?  The Kitchen was on at 10:00 Central for me (usual time), and quirky Mary making steak frites (as @annzeepark914 saw) and then Bobby Flay were on after that. 

I can't watch that Mary.  She bugs me in general, and the moving camera drives me insane.

• Love 2

Maybe Alex has to have a pro do her hair & make-up, and she did her own for today's show

Or the pro who knew what to do is gone--either way, it's apparently a good look on her that's hard to keep up. Too bad.

PB&J creme brûlée? I'll pass, GZ, on that and whatever your new show is. I'm all for Top Chef, but haven't found a food competition show I like as much (I think, in part, it's because they don't try to claim WORLD'S BEST CHAMPION CHEF DECIDED HERE BY THIS GUY FROM AMONG SOME AMERICANS approach.

• Love 1

Hmmm...usually I can't watch shows with that shakey camera (I think Nigella's show featured that, and that other TV British chef...can't think of his name, very friendly but I think he has a cockney accent???). But today I was really into learning how to make steak frites, a meal I always order in a French restaurant. So I never noticed the camera work. Is Mary Canadian?

1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

This is the third episode I've noticed the "messy" hairdo, although today it looked slightly less messy than the previous two.  But still not that sleek look she had a while back, that looked so good.  As @Fostersmom described it, unbrushed and just too much.  Unbrushed isn't the same as deliberately messy.

Are you sure you're not an hour off?  The Kitchen was on at 10:00 Central for me (usual time), and quirky Mary making steak frites (as @annzeepark914 saw) and then Bobby Flay were on after that. 

I can't watch that Mary.  She bugs me in general, and the moving camera drives me insane.

Not a fan of the fuchsia  colored streaks in Alex's hair today but I think the overall style is better than the top knot she's been sporting the last couple of shows.

Many episodes are filmed in a day, so just like Sunny's been gone for "weeks" Alex's hairstyle isn't likely to change drastically from one week to the next.  

The cereal bowl is one of those things that's for Instagram, not eating.  Who wants to eat a Fruity Pebble Treat (excuse me, gravely fruit flavored cereal treat) that big plus ice cream plus toppings.  

I did a chuckle at them all but coming out and saying the frozen cereal idea is just internet nonsense.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

and that other TV British chef...can't think of his name,

Jamie Oliver. We ate at one of his restaurants (Barbecoa) when we were in London. Best meal we had in London. Sadly, it went out of business.

• Useful 1

Is this show mostly in repeats right now?  My DVR hasn't recorded very many new episodes recently and I admit it's been off my radar.

I'm not surprised that Alex and her fiancé ended their engagement.  I posted many times that I didn't see them as a couple and people here speculated that her new look was a result of a breakup, as those often are.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Is this show mostly in repeats right now?  My DVR hasn't recorded very many new episodes recently and I admit it's been off my radar.

I'm not surprised that Alex and her fiancé ended their engagement.  I posted many times that I didn't see them as a couple and people here speculated that her new look was a result of a breakup, as those often are.

It says air date: 3/30/19 for this 11:00 AM show today. Katie's hair is in a pony tail & I didn't even recognize her at first. Oh God... she's makin' a fried bologna sandwiches & Jeff's slinging insults about them. Oy.

• LOL 1
On 2/26/2022 at 12:31 PM, MerBearHou said:

I thought Taylor Swift had a cooking show for a quick second.  The Mary makes it easy show came on today after The Kitchen . I had never seen this show.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Not. It has been new up until this week.  The next new episode is in two weeks so I guess they're on a mini-break.

Does anyone know who Sunny Anderson used to be married to? I've researched it (not a lot) and can't find any info on him. 

I thought they (she and her ex) had their own show on FN a long time ago? Then they divorced and their show was no longer on. And now we're stuck with too much Sunny.

7 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Does anyone know who Sunny Anderson used to be married to? I've researched it (not a lot) and can't find any info on him. 

I thought they (she and her ex) had their own show on FN a long time ago? Then they divorced and their show was no longer on. And now we're stuck with too much Sunny.

Are you thinking of the Neelys? 

• Love 1

Re: the Neelys...IMO, she really used him. I read about them while their show was on & really disliked her. They dated in high school. When they graduated, she dumped him & moved to CA & got married. Then she got divorced, moved home to TN, renewed the relationship with Pat and they got married. He was already involved w/ his family's successful BBQ restaurant and then FN created a show featuring this couple. I don't know how that all evolved. They're now divorced.

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Re: the Neelys...IMO, she really used him. I read about them while their show was on & really disliked her. They dated in high school. When they graduated, she dumped him & moved to CA & got married. Then she got divorced, moved home to TN, renewed the relationship with Pat and they got married. He was already involved w/ his family's successful BBQ restaurant and then FN created a show featuring this couple. I don't know how that all evolved. They're now divorced.

Idk if she used him but I find it interesting in the article I linked above Mrs Neely claimed she didnt want to be a TV chef and was ready to divorce him before the show started. Cooking TV shows don't appear out of the blue. I'm guessing it is something that has to be pursued and don't happen over night. The other thing that stood out in the article was that she appeared on a dating tv reality show hmmm. For someone that didn't want to be on TV, she somehow has managed to be on TV  lol. I didnt care for Gina Neely after I saw her on The Chew and she was very rude Carla Hall for no apparent reason.

I really want to make Chicken Marbella.  I love the swap of dates for the prunes.  

Edited by Cozytea
On 3/27/2022 at 11:04 AM, roughing it said:

I really enjoy this group without Sunny. She can be so loud and obnoxious.

Ditto!!!  Today's show was pretty good. All of the foods looked do-able, even making the dough (chou??). I've made cream puffs but I put peppermint ice cream in them. Need to try the French filling. GZ wanting his chocolate sauce on the side intrigued me. But, when I saw him dipping each piece of cream puff into the sauce, I liked his way better than having the sauce smother or almost saturate the pastry.

• Love 3

The only thing I didn't like about today was that it was supposed to be "surprise" fillings and I don't think any of them were.  Plain pastry cream for a cheese puff?  Expected, right? I'd have loved to see her flavor it with something else like raspberries.

2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The only thing I didn't like about today was that it was supposed to be "surprise" fillings and I don't think any of them were.  Plain pastry cream for a cheese puff?  Expected, right? I'd have loved to see her flavor it with something else like raspberries.

I think the surprise fillings were shown at the end (peanut butter stuffed olives, sushi style rice rolled around a hot dog, etc). They showed pictures of them and then had the sushi style hot dog "rolls" in the studio. Jeff tried one.

Wow ! Sunny is so obnoxious! Alex wse trying to answer questions on Instagram and they were obviously on the set of the Kitchen Z. Someone asked Alex what she thought about plant based meats .  Sunny kept yelling “no no”, so Alex could even answer ! She is so loud and rude ! 
Of course Alex said she likes plant based plants and Sunny approved !  
Heaven forbid either of them might want to try to cook a bit healthier or try not to load up on fatty meats! Sunny is huge and Alex is getting bigger all the time , and her daughter is only 15 and obese ! How can intelligent. People not see that their diet is not good for them  or their kids ?

• Love 1

I enjoyed today’s show — Sunny wasn’t there!  Jeff and his son Lorenzo were remote from Disney World Epcot and their segments made me want to go visit.  Geoffrey made a gorgeous spring salad and Katie’s deviled eggs looked yummy.  Alex made a brisket that, to me, looked very very tough when she cut it.  I love brisket and simply will not eat it when it’s tough like shoe leather (I mean, why eat that?).  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

From the previews I've seen for Worst Cooks, looks like Jeff might be missing for a while as he is co-host.  I could take this show much better without Sunny and Jeff.

It was so calm and nicely quiet today. Had my hopes up but then, at the end, someone wished Jeff & Sunny were joining them at the table. So I guess she'll return one of these days. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I enjoyed today’s show — Sunny wasn’t there!  Jeff and his son Lorenzo were remote from Disney World Epcot and their segments made me want to go visit.  Geoffrey made a gorgeous spring salad and Katie’s deviled eggs looked yummy.  Alex made a brisket that, to me, looked very very tough when she cut it.  I love brisket and simply will not eat it when it’s tough like shoe leather (I mean, why eat that?).  

I really enjoyed today's show too. GZ, Alex, and Katie just really seemed to balance each other nicely. No one was talking over someone else, no one was shouting, and no one was acting like a hacky comic. I haven't missed Sunny's crappy shortcut recipes or screaming at all and Jeff can be a lot to take at times too. Today's show was a nice refreshing change!

• Love 8

I’ve noticed that the show rarely shows a close up of Alex’s fingers. She bites her fingernails which is so unsanitary and unappealing. I’ve never seen a professional chef who bites his/her fingernails. 

1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

I’ve noticed that the show rarely shows a close up of Alex’s fingers. She bites her fingernails which is so unsanitary and unappealing. I’ve never seen a professional chef who bites his/her fingernails. 

As long as she's not biting her nails while cooking and then presenting/serving, I don't care. As Ina says, *clean* hands are a cook's best tools. 

• Love 2

One thing that annoys me about this show is how they always need to describe the food they're eating.  I know it's the visual medium and their aim is to explain what they're tasting but it sometimes cuts off genuine reactions.

For instance, Alex made that orange chicken today and the way GZ and Jeff were chowing down on it with their chopsticks makes me think they really really liked it.  They don't usually eat quite like that, especially not for the first dish of the day.  I think GZ was going to say something but Katie kept talking about the mouthfeel/flavors that we never heard from him or anyone else.

Speaking of that orange chicken, it cracked me up because they spent so much time on how you take off the skin, then blanch the peels 3 times, then fry them and then they didn't even highlight when she threw them into the actual dish.  I think I caught it when the camera panned back to her after being on GZ but they didn't talk about it.  I also don't know why, based on how she prepared the skins, why you could just peel an orange like normal.  I mean, she cut them up at the end anyway.  Does it really matter?

• Love 1