Type keyword(s) to search

The Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I can only conclude that Sunny doesn't have even one good girlfriend in the entire world, because any woman with a friend wouldn't show up on TV looking like that even once, let alone three or four times now.  And the louder and more ridiculous her makeup has gotten, the louder and more obnoxious she's gotten.  What the hell is she aiming for?  I never FF through anybody, but I just can't stand watching her self-destruct, so FF she goes.

Maybe now that that woman who won Food Network Star will be making some money, she can afford back teeth.

I haven't managed to get through this whole episode yet.  Was there a single dish worth watching for?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

I haven't managed to get through this whole episode yet.  Was there a single dish worth watching for?

Not so much. I caught the one with the frozen waffles and the sausage and the cheese and the jalepeños and the onions and the cilantro and the hot sauce and the ... well, everything not nailed down. It looked DISGUSTING. Katie Lee then cut it so the egg yolks oozed all over. And then Sunny jumped in to "eat it like nachos." Like with no silverware. Um, no. Just. No.

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

Not so much. I caught the one with the frozen waffles and the sausage and the cheese and the jalepeños and the onions and the cilantro and the hot sauce and the ... well, everything not nailed down. It looked DISGUSTING. Katie Lee then cut it so the egg yokes oozed all over. And then Sunny jumped in to "eat it like nachos." Like with no silverware. Um, no. Just. No.

I couldn't agree more... Yuck, yuck, yuck.. I don't know what's going on with these recipes lately. And why does Sunny pronounce the L in yolk?!?

• Love 5

Wow. Just wow. This episode is chock full of snark but I will summarize my thoughts.

Waffle nachos with the million ingredients as noted by Westiepeach....yuk. Too much going on and it takes too much damn time. Just do waffles with sides of sausage and egg. And leave the other crap off. Or go to IHOP. 

Marcella's pumpkin cream cheese bread pudding. Yuk. I love all the ingredients a lot.....separately. But I don't want cream cheese in my bread pudding. The pumpkin was fine and the streusel topping was fine and the cream cheese is great in a million other ways but for me, who admittedly is not big on sweets, I did not like the sweetened cream cheese filling. 

Tregaye, the new host. Sorry, but thumbs down, honey. Her constant flashing the "v" sign bugged me. Yet another host with fake long hair hanging down in everything. And those muffins with the egg on top? Again, why? Those muffins looked so dense and for me, you'd be wasting the yummy deliciousness of the egg by putting it on top. I guess they are bringing her in for when Marcella goes on maternity leave, hopefully to stay on the west coast forever.

Finally, beautiful Sunny's outrageous nuclear lipstick. I went to her FB page, knowing that folks would be commenting on her color choices. Several folks had commented on today's color and she had not replied but when she wore the purple a week or two ago, she did reply. Everyone who commented was pretty nice about it, saying you are so pretty and that color does nothing for you. She was a tad defensive. Said something to one poster about being judged on your looks and then something in defense of their make up crew on the show. I guess now it is her "cause" to keep wearing those ugly colors since she knows we hate it. On the show she is even louder than Jeff these days, as Mondrianyone says. She was always loud, but at the end when she was scared/startled when the bats dropped from up top. Wow! She was pissed. She wanted to let loose a string of expletives. And she was SCREAMING they better have lots of beer backstage for her. 

Oh, GZ, stop prostituting yourself and get off this silly show while you have a little bit of dignity left.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

What the hell is she aiming for? 

giphy.gif

I think of powdered sugar as the glitter of the food world. I remember making buttercream frosting (cheating) with a handheld mixer. It involved a kitchen-towel tent. Butter + conf. sugar +vanilla= icing greatness. 

I pronounce 'yolk' with the 'l'.  Regional? Pronounced as read? Not sure but I think readers can be the worst pronouncers. 

Tregaye. She ain't gonna happen. imho

That pepperoncino roast sounds good. But I'd use this allrecipes  and opt out of the sodium-infused stuff.

How vinegary is it? Not sure how it cooks off. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Not so much. I caught the one with the frozen waffles and the sausage and the cheese and the jalepeños and the onions and the cilantro and the hot sauce and the ... well, everything not nailed down. It looked DISGUSTING. Katie Lee then cut it so the egg yolks oozed all over. And then Sunny jumped in to "eat it like nachos." Like with no silverware. Um, no. Just. No.

Yeah, I had the misfortune of seeing that.  I wonder if producers supply these recipes for them.  Producers who hate them.

2 hours ago, NewDigs said:

giphy.gif

If that's what she's aiming for, I think she already overshot it.  She's actually making me sad.  It all feels so desperate.

Did anyone else catch the subtle-as-a-brick-to-the-head product placement of the Ninja blender during GZ's and Katie Lee's smoothie segment? They were so careful to mention that you need a powerful blender when mixing up whole nuts and dates, followed by the shot of KL lovingly pushing the Ninja's buttons to pulverize those beautiful nuts and fruit. 

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Did anyone else catch the subtle-as-a-brick-to-the-head product placement of the Ninja blender during GZ's and Katie Lee's smoothie segment? They were so careful to mention that you need a powerful blender when mixing up whole nuts and dates, followed by the shot of KL lovingly pushing the Ninja's buttons to pulverize those beautiful nuts and fruit. 

Even Husband noticed! And he was barely watching!

I just caught up with this episode.  Even Jeff looked aghast at the hot mess recipes.  I loved his sarcastic joke about putting a piece of Marcella's French toast bake/abomination on top of that waffle/egg/sausage abomination. 

I can hardly believe it, but Jeff and Sunny managed to drown out Tregaye and Sunny made her look positively demure and refined.  I didn't think it was possible.

WTF is up with Sunny?  Every episode she seems to go more and more over the top.  An even more hideous lipstick and her obvious bad attitude about it floors me.  I used to like her but she seriously needs to get a grip.  She has become a total caricature of herself.

Could it be that she sees Tregaye as a threat given that they are both female African Americans and Tregaye is going to be on "The Kitchen Sink"?  Sunny strikes me as being on the insecure side.

• Love 5

What in the world did I just watch? Am I back in elementary school? KL was a "green goddess," GZ had his face stuck in a piece of fake bread, Marcella was a pregnant avocado and the two loud twins were candy "rappers?" Sunny, you are REALLY such a pretty lady...you don't need tarantula lashes and blue lips. Where was the cooking this episode? Jeff cut two bundt cakes (made with a cake mix) in two to form a pumpkin and also made a terrible looking pumpkin pizza. Barf. Marcella stuck picks through some items to make eyeballs. The cocktail of pumpkin ice cream and orange soda that GZ made prompted my pancreas to scream for mercy. Why, Food Network, why? I quit watching this for a while but came back for the snark. Well, the snark for me is no longer fun. This is embarrassing. Each of these hosts has some level of talent and they have sold their soul for this crap? GZ, the Chairman of Iron Chef wants the apron back. 

ETA...forgot about Sunny's ridiculous feet loaf. 

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 6
They need to stop with the stupid crafts and half-assed cooking.  I would rather they turned The Kitchen into Aunt Sandy's Halloween show because they were prettier to look at. Why did they bring Amber on if she wasn't going to cook something?  You would think the Halloween show would be the perfect showcase for a kid. Ugh. This show. Up the budget or cancel it.  
  • Love 1

That pepperoncino roast sounds good. But I'd use this allrecipes  and opt out of the sodium-infused stuff.

Don't know if it's the same recipe but the New York Times did a non-chemical version some months ago.

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017937-mississippi-roast

I tried it and it was OK, but will probably not do again. The pepperoncini did come out very well, to my surprise. 

I'm not a Marcela hater, she actually makes food and not the Aunt Sandy-esque crap on frozen waffles. But Jeff and Sunny are getting to be too too much. 

• Love 1
On 10/22/2016 at 6:08 PM, chessiegal said:

Dictionary.com has both pronunciations. I think it's regional.

No, it is ignorance.  The L is silent as it is in folk.   The dictionary has been adding pronunciations when they become commonly used.  This is new in the last couple of decades.  I don't like the idea at all!  Vase is another one.  It is pronounced as you see it, NOT  vahaze.   Emily Post said you only use a vahaze if you have dazzies (daisies).  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, wings707 said:

No, it is ignorance.  The L is silent as it is in folk.   The dictionary has been adding pronunciations when they become commonly used.  This is new in the last couple of decades.  I don't like the idea at all!  Vase is another one.  It is pronounced as you see it, NOT  vahaze.   Emily Post said you only use a vahaze if you have dazzies (daisies).  

I respectfully disagree. Languages evolve. Do we speak Middle English? No. Grammar I can get distressed about (the loss of the objective case of the personal pronoun), but pronunciation is definitely regional.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I know this is the weirdest thing to be irritated by but I do end up irritated every time they point out that Marcela is drinking something else or a 'virgin' version of whatever they're drinking.  I feel the same way when Daphne is pregnant on The Chew.  Have a sip or don't. I don't care either way. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I know this is the weirdest thing to be irritated by but I do end up irritated every time they point out that Marcela is drinking something else or a 'virgin' version of whatever they're drinking.  I feel the same way when Daphne is pregnant on The Chew.  Have a sip or don't. I don't care either way. 

Thank you! Almost everything about her irks me but during the last pregnancy and this one, she had to constantly point out that she was preggers. And the last two episodes, she has been making the "cutest" faces at the camera like "look at me!" Hope she doesn't return.

i wanted to barf at the butternut squash lasagna that KL made. Boy, Sunny sure loved that cocktail that GZ made! Oh! And the tree that KL put on the fridge! Yeah, I bet none of those hosts would put that on their fridge. Who has time for that stuff?

• Love 4

I have a bunch of those magnet sheets and I was very excited to finally have something to do with them. it must be the marijuana, but I love this show and I make something from it at least once a week. I don't do Pinterest anymore and I feel like this is the cliff notes version of it.

I soooo agree about Marcella, though. We get it, you're pregnant . 

Ps. in case you're wondering, those magnet sheets are awesome to put over vents in rooms you don't use. They never quite close all the way.

• Love 2

If they were gonna go on about Marcelo not being able to partake in the drinks....why not just make her virgin drink related to the cocktail and explain the difference?

Totally agree! I am a cheap drunk so generally stick to club soda.  Would love to some virgin versions of the cocktails. 

• Love 1

I think they point out that Marcella isn't drinking alcohol - including her glass being different - is to keep viewers from freaking out and telling her she isn't supposed to drink - falls under cover-your-butt.  I don't blame them if that is the case - the do-gooders of this world can start chaos with not much to go on.  

• Love 7

Fun show this morning.  Good tips for keeping things warm when your oven is occupied at Thanksgiving.  I enjoy the camaraderie between these hosts and the show would be sorely missing energy and spark without Jeff Mauro.  Geoffrey is heaven and I really love both Katie Lee and Sunny.  It's Marcela who I could do without.  

I figured out what reallly bugs me about Marcela -- it's her "uptalking".  She ends almost every phrase or sentence with the uptalk, question-mark and it drives me bonkers.  Add that to her "I'm so cute and so OCD" -- she is not my cup of tea.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I figured out what reallly bugs me about Marcela -- it's her "uptalking".  She ends almost every phrase or sentence with the uptalk, question-mark and it drives me bonkers.  Add that to her "I'm so cute and so OCD" -- she is not my cup of tea.

I think the uptalk is a Hispanic thing.  I've known several Hispanics who do that, including most recently Sonia on the most recent season of "Married at First Sight".

My pet peeve with this show is Jeff and Sunny being OTT boisterous and LOUD.  They've actually toned it down a smidge in the last couple of episodes.  Katie Lee with the sing song nasal voice is more annoying to me these days....

• Love 2

I agree about Katie's sing song voice being annoying.. she also has  limited food knowledge.. she really just lists all the ingredients after tasting something 'oh Sunny, it's so good and you can really taste the cheese, the bacon etc". seriously?! 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Maya said:

Store-bought pumpkin bread crumbled on top of ice cream pie, then covered with a layer of whipped cream. I wanted to vomit. dk

The thing that cracked me up so much about that ice cream pie is that they kept praising it for being hand/home made when the only thing I'd say was really home made about is the whipped cream topping.  Well, maybe the crust because they mixed butter with store bought cookies but that only barely.  And then they praised the crumbled store-bought pumpkin bread as being "streusal like" but I can't imagine that offers any texture as the moist ice cream and moist whipped cream would just turn it into mush. I can't imagine it offering anything of value.

And I was confused by some of the saving oven tips.  Cornbread from a box in the crock pot?  Why not just make or buy ahead if you're doing the box thing?  It's not like cornbread goes bad immediately.  And doing beans in a toaster oven?  Is a toaster oven an extra appliance many people have?  I don't think I know anyone who has one but maybe it's just not a thing in my circle.

• Love 2

So Sunny had a show on FN? I never saw it. Was she as loud and obnoxious there as she is on this program? Did she have any recipes any one would want to make? She makes me nuts with the shouting, lipstick, smacking her lips over everything she eats. I accidentally commented on Ina's thread so I'm asking those questions here. I do love Ina more than anyone else on FN. 

• Love 2

Yeah, I knew that but could never understand the attraction between the two. Just strange. As far as I know, that was her only marriage although he's had several. And a baby with his latest wife when she was pregnant with their baby. Holy cow. What ever happened to getting married, getting used to married life, establishing a stable life and then having a baby? I am so old fashioned. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

So Sunny had a show on FN? I never saw it. Was she as loud and obnoxious there as she is on this program? Did she have any recipes any one would want to make? She makes me nuts with the shouting, lipstick, smacking her lips over everything she eats. I accidentally commented on Ina's thread so I'm asking those questions here. I do love Ina more than anyone else on FN. 

Sunny was energetic, but not loud or obnoxious on her FN show. I watched it when it came on and she did make some interesting recipes. I remember trying a few and they were good. She had friends on now and then, and that didn't seem to raise the decibels, just Sunny with some friends. Not sure what happened to her once she got on The Kitchen.

• Love 3

Thanks for the reply. I never saw her before but it seems like she's become louder and wanting more attention on the Kitchen than she was at first. Maybe she feels like she's not the "chefs" that the others are? Not that Katie has ever been a chef. I don't know but she just bugs the crap out of me. Maybe I just need to stop watching a program that bothers me as much as this one does. I just keep hoping that we'll get something worth watching on this channel besides Ina. In my opinion, most of their programming is just crap. 

• Love 2

I think that the powers that be at The Kitchen designated Jeff and Sunny as the energy providers. Katie Lee is low key and has a monotone voice..don't know if she could shout if her life depended on it. GZ is the cool, classy, renowned chef. And then there's Marcella who IMHO overdoes the pronunciation of any products and foods related to Mexico and also comes across as the "look at me" chef. So that leaves Jeff and Sunny to ramp it up. Unfortunately, they've gone overboard with it. I really want J and S to show their personalities and to be engaged but some shows, it is just TOO MUCH! And all the ladies on the show have such botoxed foreheads. There is no movement. I guess that is what everyone does now. 

• Love 4

I suppose that the show producers make sure the people fill a certain role and persona.  I just wish they would let them be themselves without any OTT behaviors.  I bet if they did that Jeff and Sunny would tone it down and be a lot more tolerable.  I would still be bored by Katie Lee and put off by Marcella when she keeps rubbing her belly and over pronouncing words. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mammalou said:

Someone needs to tell Katie a vegetarian option should not include fish sauce and shrimp paste 

Not to mention that this vegetarian option now needs to be labeled as 'shellfish-containing' for those of us in the room with a shellfish allergy. I'm not one for passing out and needing a paramedic because I eat an allegedly vegetarian meatball! 

This show really needs to work on the subtlety of their product placements. On a show called "The Kitchen", I wouldn't mind if you waxed poetic about your Le Crueset pot, but going on and on about 3M Command Adhesive hangers is a different story. 

• Love 7

Each week, I watch this show and each week, I regret it.  I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere along the way, but I find this show nearly unwatchable due to the way each and every one of them ends every third sentence by drawing out the last syllable while the audience whoops and cheers like mental patients.  Example:

Sunny: "OOH, Jeff is adding bacccccccooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnn!!!"

Seriously, my IQ drops three more points every time I watch this show.  I'd rather have a scrumptious, luscious, decadent dinner with Ree Drummond than spend five minutes with these hosts.  The entire show is a live-action Pinterest board, complete with the pipe cleaner/cotton ball/dried noodle crafts I did with my daughter when she was in kindergarten.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 8

Marcella earrings weren't so hot. Whoever styles them definitely miss the mark at times, especially with Sunny and Marcella! Good Lord!?

Edited by Yolo
  • Love 6
43 minutes ago, SuzyLee said:

Each week, I watch this show and each week, I regret it.  I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere along the way, but I find this show nearly unwatchable due to the way each and every one of them ends every third sentence by drawing out the last syllable while the audience whoops and cheers like mental patients.  Example:

Sunny: "OOH, Jeff is adding bacccccccooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnn!!!"

Especially since there is no real audience and that is just the crew trying to make it seem as though there is.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, Yolo said:

Marcella earrings weren't so hot. Whoever styles them definitely miss the mark at times, especially with Sunny and Marcella! Good Lord!?

Even Husband was afraid of her earrings! I think ALL of their stylists hate them.

• Love 4

I'm remarkably open-minded when it comes to stupid earrings.  I once owned not one but two pairs of skeleton earrings, one of which had rhinestone eyes and the other of which glowed in the dark.  And I still hate tassel earrings.  They just look to me liked you ripped the trim of the drapes and stuck it in your ears.

I also thought that Sunny's giant spring ring was the dumbest thing possible to wear while chopping vegetables.  And I couldn't stand the special guest.  And get off my lawn.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Yolo said:

I was distracted trying to figure out if her earrings could be worn with Katie's outfit or if they were clashing.  Sometimes when I looked quickly, it looked like they coordinated but when they were side-by-side, it looked like they clashed.

5 hours ago, LazyToaster said:

Does anyone like that Christmas tree cake?  It just seemed like too much of everything to me - too much cake (and waste), too much work, too much candy, too much frosting - I would rather take the time to make nice cupcakes.  

Me too and I don't really like cupcakes all that much. (I'm not a frosting fan and cupcakes are usually frosting heavy.)  It was very fussy and I do not get this candy-in-a-cake trend. I remember seeing it last year in a baking championship. Does anyone really want a handfull of candy with their half a slice of cake?*

*Maybe people do and I'm just a weirdo. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 6
18 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Does anyone really want a handfull of candy with their half a slice of cake?*

*Maybe people do and I'm just a weirdo. 

Nope. I would prefer NOT to have candy pouring out of my cake. Sugar rush, anyone? Maybe I am just a cake purist, but just give me a piece of cake with frosting and I am good to go.

• Love 7