Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: I Like Them All, I Just Can't Choose!

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I liked Yard Crashers on HGTV.  I can't stand House Hunters. Some of the people seem very entitled and nitpick houses that I would love to live in. 

The hubby likes to watch Flipping Vegas on A&E. I cannot stand the guy on that show. I'm surprised he is still married based on now he treats his wife on camera. 

Yes to both of these.  I will say that the 'Crasher' shows used to have me up yelling at the TV, when these guys/gals were trying to find someone they wanted to bestow this gift upon, and the idiots would say 'no', simply because they couldn't be bothered?  Yeah right.  Let an HGTV camera crew rush up on me while I'm at Lowe's buying a $15 dollar plastic planter and see how fast I agree to be bothered by it all.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I liked Yard Crashers on HGTV.  I can't stand House Hunters. Some of the people seem very entitled and nitpick houses that I would love to live in. 

The hubby likes to watch Flipping Vegas on A&E. I cannot stand the guy on that show. I'm surprised he is still married based on now he treats his wife on camera. 

Yeah, the only House Hunters I'll watch are the ones that are not in the states - except the beach home one - House Hunters International.  But I do get a little ticked off when the Ugly American starts complaining about the size of the kitchen or the lack of a large bathroom.....it's more fun when the person is excited about embracing the culture of the country they are moving to.

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
47 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Yeah, the only House Hunters I'll watch are the ones that are not in the states - except the beach home one - House Hunters International.  But I do get a little ticked off when the Ugly American starts complaining about the size of the kitchen or the lack of a large bathroom.....it's more fun when the person is excited about embracing the culture of the country they are moving to.

I hate watch House Hunters, and bitch at the buyers throughout the show. Ever so often there is a couple or person with realistic expectations that are excited to find a house, then it is fun to watch.

10 hours ago, Cricket said:

loved Clean Sweep on TLC, before they turned to the trash lover channel.

1461230_10151756286291556_820950570_n.jpg

That was a good show.  Also loved “While You Were Out” with that cutie Evan Farmer.  TLC also used to have half hour shows like “A Makeover Story” and “A Wedding Story” that aired during the day.  Now it is nothing but freak shows and “Say Yes to the Dress” which I have never been a fan of.

14 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Yes!  Loved it....there were two others I really enjoyed - A Gardeners Diary and A Gardeners Journal.  I miss all of these so much.

I loved “Ground Breakers,” “Curb Appeal,” and “Surprise Gardener” on HGTV.  The demise of all their gardening shows was a shame. I never watch that channel anymore.

I must be the only one watching House Hunters! ?. I'm not a crafter nor a gardener, so was never interested in those shows.  I do miss some of the design shows.  There was one in which a homeowner would choose among three designs from three differnt designers for a home remodel that was good too.

16 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

A commercial annoys me so much I came here to post about it. ....  It's the Triscuit ad that tells us "Make 'Scuit happen."

There are multiple things wrong with this ad but relating their product to "shit happens" is the biggest NO!

Oh, TexasTiffany, don't get me started. The DRtrend toward gratuitous crudeness in TV commercials is a trigger for me.

In addition to Triscuit's "Let 'scuit happen" that you noted, I've cringed at:

• TGI Friday: "Hell, yeah, to happy hour."
  • Yuengling: " ... a damn fine beer."
  • Taco Bell: "When your morning is hell, head to Taco Bell."
  • SyFy channel: " ... one hell of a universe."
  • Taco Bell again: the implied profanity in "What the ________?" repeated five or six times in one commercial.
  • Boost wireless server: "We're gonna enjoy the crap out of it."

It's not the end of the world. And it's not that I am offended by all such language. Most of those words have come from my own mouth in certain situations. But mainstreaming words that formerly were on George Carlin's List of Words You Can't Say on TV is not funny. It's coarsening our public discourse and breeding a generation of children who can't read cursive, but they certainly can curse.

Edited by HissyFit
6 hours ago, Thumper said:

I must be the only one watching House Hunters! ?. I'm not a crafter nor a gardener, so was never interested in those shows.  I do miss some of the design shows.  There was one in which a homeowner would choose among three designs from three differnt designers for a home remodel that was good too.

Designer’s Challenge - it was one of my favorites too.

Joe wanted to go to the Adirondack Balloon festival this morning. Kody was perfect. People were respectful and asked to pet him and he was perfect with them all. His ears are up now and he is  4 months now. Looks like a young man now, and losing his puppiness. :(

22008481_10155052193538367_6965275418555895613_n.jpg

3 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Joe wanted to go to the Adirondack Balloon festival this morning. Kody was perfect. People were respectful and asked to pet him and he was perfect with them all. His ears are up now and he is  4 months now. Looks like a young man now, and losing his puppiness. :(

What a sweetheart!!!  

30 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Sweetheart is right!!  and  Yowza, he's grown up!!!  :-)

There is nothing sweeter than the soulful look in a dog's eyes.  I love it!

17 minutes ago, Fishy said:

Sweetheart is right!!  and  Yowza, he's grown up!!!  :-)

There is nothing sweeter than the soulful look in a dog's eyes.  I love it!

he is growing fast. And you're right... he has the most awesome eyes

just watched Columbo and MeTV removed Night Stalker and replaced it with Touched by an Angel. Forgot all about that show = loved Della Reese.

Too emotional to watch it tonight but maybe next week. Feel good shows no longer on tv anymore.

7 minutes ago, Cricket said:

just watched Columbo and MeTV removed Night Stalker and replaced it with Touched by an Angel. Forgot all about that show = loved Della Reese.

Too emotional to watch it tonight but maybe next week. Feel good shows no longer on tv anymore.

(((hugs)))?

My gosh, Kody is so big! I can't believe how fast he is growing.

About MeTV: I love so many of their shows. I'm addicted to Perry Mason!  Love the plots, despite the fact that I know Perry will almost always win his case, and that something totally unrealistic will always happen, like the real killer suddenly standing up in the spectator section of the courtroom and confessing. Also I get a kick out of seeing all those beautiful old cars, elegant women's clothing and the old hairstyles. (Styled by Annabell!  Who the heck was Annabell? I had to Google her. She was Annabell Levy, 1915-1975, a  stylist who worked on many TV shows.) The Perry Mason theme music is so fantastic -- I never tire of hearing it.

I enjoy the old Westerns too, such as Gunsmoke and Wagon Train. I remember watching them when I was a kid. My mother had a big crush on James Arness (Marshall Matt Dillon). 

6 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

About MeTV: I love so many of their shows. I'm addicted to Perry Mason!  Love the plots, despite the fact that I know Perry will almost always win his case, and that something totally unrealistic will always happen, like the real killer suddenly standing up in the spectator section of the courtroom and confessing. Also I get a kick out of seeing all those beautiful old cars, elegant women's clothing and the old hairstyles. (Styled by Annabell!  Who the heck was Annabell? I had to Google her. She was Annabell Levy, 1915-1975, a  stylist who worked on many TV shows.) The Perry Mason theme music is so fantastic -- I never tire of hearing it.

I enjoy the old Westerns too, such as Gunsmoke and Wagon Train. I remember watching them when I was a kid. My mother had a big crush on James Arness (Marshall Matt Dillon). 

Thank you. i love the older shows more and more. the ones, for the most part anyway, are so poorly written today. They rely on portraying the parents as idiots, the kids as smart alecs & so much of the comedy is forced. JMO

Oh, Kody starts daycare today... just half a day and Joe will pick him up at 1 pm. Don't want him to feel abandoned. LOL I feel like i did when I sent my girls to kindergarten for the first time

17 hours ago, Thumper said:

Yes....I liked that show, too! 

Sigh.......miss these shows.

16 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

I DVR Perry Mason on MeTV.  I have about 40 to watch because it is on twice a day.  Now I see it is also recording episoses on Decades TV.  I always notice the credits too.  I  see the names of Florence Bush and Jack Barron on a number of those old shows.  They are better than most of what is on currently.

I think I said here or in the other thread that one of the shows I liked on HGTV was Designing for the Sexes. That was due in part to the fact that the prospective designers using sketches/drawings of the ideas they would present to potential clients and the British host/designer Michael Payne. I had forgotten about Designers Challenge and that it kinda did the same thing with the drawings being part of presentations. I had also forgotten that Chris Harrison of Bachelor/Bachorlette fame was the host of Designers Challenge. TLC is bringing back Trading Spaces next year with the original designers and host. I'm hoping the budget might be higher then the $2000 per team it was 9 years ago.

5 hours ago, Jaded said:

I think I said here or in the other thread that one of the shows I liked on HGTV was Designing for the Sexes. That was due in part to the fact that the prospective designers using sketches/drawings of the ideas they would present to potential clients and the British host/designer Michael Payne. I had forgotten about Designers Challenge and that it kinda did the same thing with the drawings being part of presentations. I had also forgotten that Chris Harrison of Bachelor/Bachorlette fame was the host of Designers Challenge. TLC is bringing back Trading Spaces next year with the original designers and host. I'm hoping the budget might be higher then the $2000 per team it was 9 years ago.

Hmmm as much as I used to watch HGTV back in the day, I don't really remember this Designers Challenge show.  Possibly selective memory.

I am looking forward to Trading Spaces' return, though, especially since over the weekend, our local news had a TV spot about the show and showed a couple of reveals that were less than positive experiences.  lol!

Edited by Fishy

Mama Hag is whipped into a frenzy!  Padre Pio relics are on display tomorrow at a parish near me. She doesn't leave the house, so I am hoping that I can get over there to get a holy card for her.  They are letting people touch the cards to the relics.  Did I mention that Padre Pio is her favorite saint?  She has a framed photograph of him in her living room!  

On 9/24/2017 at 1:17 PM, HissyFit said:

Oh, TexasTiffany, don't get me started. The DRtrend toward gratuitous crudeness in TV commercials is a trigger for me.

In addition to Triscuit's "Let 'scuit happen" that you noted, I've cringed at:

• TGI Friday: "Hell, yeah, to happy hour."
  • Yuengling: " ... a damn fine beer."
  • Taco Bell: "When your morning is hell, head to Taco Bell."
  • SyFy channel: " ... one hell of a universe."
  • Taco Bell again: the implied profanity in "What the ________?" repeated five or six times in one commercial.
  • Boost wireless server: "We're gonna enjoy the crap out of it."

It's not the end of the world. And it's not that I am offended by all such language. Most of those words have come from my own mouth in certain situations. But mainstreaming words that formerly were on George Carlin's List of Words You Can't Say on TV is not funny. It's coarsening our public discourse and breeding a generation of children who can't read cursive, but they certainly can curse.

I haven't seen all the ones you listed but the Taco Bell ads are definitely weird. Who wants to associate Taco Bell with HELL? It seems so backwards. In advertising I always figured they want to make you think happy thoughts about a product. Now it's reversed. The song lyrics in the recent Subway ad I saw were "I want to destroy you". It's like the world has turned or something. 

Edited by TexasTiffany
3 hours ago, DownTheShore said:

I had never heard of Padre Pio until they renamed St. Bonaventure down in Lavalette NJ after him. Still ticks me off that they did that; they should not be able to rename churches willy-nilly.  ?

It probably has to do with the consolidating of parishes. The area of NEPA where my parents grew up had a few churches close and they combined the parishes with the remaining ones, giving them updated names. 

9 hours ago, seahag said:

Mama Hag is whipped into a frenzy!  Padre Pio relics are on display tomorrow at a parish near me. She doesn't leave the house, so I am hoping that I can get over there to get a holy card for her.  They are letting people touch the cards to the relics.  Did I mention that Padre Pio is her favorite saint?  She has a framed photograph of him in her living room!  

That is sweet of you to do that for her, @seahag!   That whole relic thing just squicks me out, but I know it is comforting to some people.  (And I am a Damaged Catholic, which skews a lot of my thinking about the Church. ☺️)

22 hours ago, Jaded said:

I got such a kick out of Michael Payne. He could be so dramatic, but he knew his stuff. And yes, Chris Harrison before he hit the big time with the Bachelor!

Looks like Fixer Upper is going to end after it's upcoming fifth season. I quit watching after the first season because it seemed like Chip and JoAnna were buying into their own fame already. There's something off about those two. Not sure what it is but it's a feeling I get. Maybe after the show ends HGTV will quit rerun abusing it.

4 hours ago, Jaded said:

Looks like Fixer Upper is going to end after it's upcoming fifth season. I quit watching after the first season because it seemed like Chip and JoAnna were buying into their own fame already. There's something off about those two. Not sure what it is but it's a feeling I get. Maybe after the show ends HGTV will quit rerun abusing it.

awww too bad so sad ...... NOT!  They must have enough irons in the fire to sustain them.

Well, I could not get in to see the relics.  It was mobbed!  They even had cops and port-a-potties set up outside.  I didn't tell her I was going to try, so she won't be disappointed.

I did buy Mr. Hag a new recliner today.  The springs fell out of his old one, so this is his Christmas gift.  He loves it!  He sat in every one in the store!

Sounds like Chip and Joanna have their priorities correct.. family first. Sounds like they have plenty to keep them busy, their kids are growing and will be needing them more navigate the bad decisions of the world out there, as well as the fact they will continue to rehab, but just not for the world to watch. They can step away from the limelight as it were, and go on. Unlike some of those at the Q....

I like them as a couple, could do with less shiplap!

Wish them well. As with most shows on HGTV... they take a good show and air it till you can't stand it anymore and that is a shame; and all the fault of HGTV because they want to save money and not invest in anything new. And we all know, the garden part of this network has withered and died away. If Roundup worked that well....

Just now, Cricket said:

Another show I liked was Property Virgins with Sandra. When she left though and that other woman came on (forgot her name)

Egypt

6 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Sounds like Chip and Joanna have their priorities correct.. family first.

Yup and agree with you!!

I like them and most of her designs.

I never like to get in the weeds about people's life decisions.

Their life..their decisions.

19 hours ago, Jaded said:

I don't mind either Chip or Joanna.  But I do dislike seeing the same design show after show after show.  The first couple of times you see what Joanna does, it was interesting.  But it never evolved beyond her signature style, in my opinion.  Many of you have said "enough with the shiplap!"....I agree.  The watered down, grayed color color scheme, same old same/old designs (with the same exact accessories in each episode) got to be a little much for me and boring.  While her style is not my style, I enjoy seeing it, but not every episode!

Alot of HGTV's shows are so formulaic, I can barely watch them anymore.

8 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

I don't mind either Chip or Joanna.  But I do dislike seeing the same design show after show after show.  The first couple of times you see what Joanna does, it was interesting.  But it never evolved beyond her signature style, in my opinion.  Many of you have said "enough with the shiplap!"....I agree.  The watered down, grayed color color scheme, same old same/old designs (with the same exact accessories in each episode) got to be a little much for me and boring.  While her style is not my style, I enjoy seeing it, but not every episode!

Alot of HGTV's shows are so formulaic, I can barely watch them anymore.

I was going to highlight a sentence or two but I  realize I agree with the whole entire post.  Chip and Joanna can be entertaining and her design esthetic is pretty but enough is enough.  She should experiment beyond her comfort zone.  It's probably a good thing that they're leaving before they completely overstay their welcome (although they may have done so already), and they've built up their brand recognition to the point of being able to carry them going forward.

1 hour ago, stewedsquash said:

I watch! I also don't like gardening very much but I loved Curb Appeal, mostly because of the dreamy host. He was even more perfect because he was in on the "I'm so handsome" joke. I loved how the crew would mess with him because of he was really educated, and they would throw things out there to see if he knew what was happening.

Was it Carter Oosterhouse? I liked him.

carteroosterhouse.jpg

Edited by HissyFit
On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 1:33 AM, TexasTiffany said:

I haven't seen all the ones you listed but the Taco Bell ads are definitely weird. Who wants to associate Taco Bell with HELL? It seems so backwards. In advertising I always figured they want to make you think happy thoughts about a product. Now it's reversed. The song lyrics in the recent Subway ad I saw were "I want to destroy you". It's like the world has turned or something. 

I agree! What about the car commercial with Imagine Dragons singing "Pain-You made me a believer"? What does that have to do with cars and how is it uplifting? What is happening to the world? Vulgarity seems to be the norm.

22 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

For the cat people - 

They're trimming his nails.

I had to share this amazing video.  So sweet and so funny!

How adorable! Not like my kitties - they act like we’re trying to amputate their paws when we clip their nails. Not an activity they look forward to. ??

6 hours ago, HissyFit said:

Was it Carter Oosterhouse? I liked him.

carteroosterhouse.jpg

Hubba hubba!

40 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

For the cat people - 

Oh, and I had to share this too!

w00t!

Cubs NLDS 2017.jpg

GO CUBS GO!!!! I lived on Waveland Avenue a block from Wrigley back In The '70s.

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

For the cat people - 

Lol on that nail trimming/cat video.  I wish just one of my cats would behave this sweetly!  Mine always act like I'm cutting their paw off!  This little one is either going to his happy place or is truly that happy to have his nails trimmed!

2 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

@HissyFit  No, it was John Gidding.  He was an architect and he would throw out these mini lessons, or want things done with true architectural details, and the other two people on the show would tease him about it. Sometimes they would do something slightly off, to see if he would notice it. 

Ooooh, yes, how could I have forgotten John Gidding? Intelligent, talented, handsome, funny.

b07e6896801007907dcb92ffc90cb0c1.jpg

4 hours ago, Booney said:

How adorable! Not like my kitties - they act like we’re trying to amputate their paws when we clip their nails. Not an activity they look forward to. ??

Same here Booney!  Eleven years, twice a month, and they act like this is some new torture every time, lol.

4 hours ago, seahag said:

GO CUBS GO!!!! I lived on Waveland Avenue a block from Wrigley back In The '70s.

How fun!

3 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Lol on that nail trimming/cat video.  I wish just one of my cats would behave this sweetly!  Mine always act like I'm cutting their paw off!  This little one is either going to his happy place or is truly that happy to have his nails trimmed!

I wonder if he's just that grateful to have the love.  This is a local rescue org. that does wonderful work.

13 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Good.  He was a rotten toad and always looked like he stunk.  A very unattractive man, inside and out.

Geeky midwestern "niceness", neurotic pervy control freak, transformative social visionary and yes there was something smelly and unpleasant about him.

Edited by Bronx Baby
lots of melting

I have a couple of Hugh Hefner stories. My late husband was a Purchasing Director for a Fortune 500 company, and the daughter of one of the biggest vendors he dealt with worked for Playboy. Through her, in 2002 we were invited to the Playboy Jazz Festival held over one weekend every June at the Hollywood Bowl. As an added perk, we were invited to a cocktail party for Jazz Festival sponsors at the Playboy mansion the Friday night before the festival. Needless to say, we flew out to L.A. for the festivities! 

At the cocktail party, we were not able to go inside the Playboy mansion, but the vendor’s daughter gave us a tour of the grounds, which were unbelievable. There was a small zoo, peacocks roaming the grounds, the infamous “Grotto,” where all the sex parties took place (and which was set up like a giant hot tub in a cave), “Bunny Hill,” where all the Playboy bunnies hung out, and an outbuilding that was called the “Game Room.” The outer room of the Game Room had arcade games, but the floor of the inner room was basically a giant water bed. I can only imagine what kind of games took place there.

During the cocktail party, Playboy bunnies mingled with guests and signed autographs. Surprisingly, they were demurely clad in cocktail dresses. The food was amazing, the alcohol flowed, and at one point Hef came out onto the veranda to thank everyone for their support of the Jazz Festival. He was in pajamas and the ever-present smoking jacket. He only spoke for a couple of minutes then disappeared into the mansion not to be seen again that night.

The next day, we went to the Hollywood Bowl for the jazz festival. The vendor’s daughter had arranged for us to sit in a private box, which was very cool. The line-up of musicians was impressive and interestingly enough, the emcee was Bill Cosby. Well into the afternoon, Hef arrived with his entourage of seven blond girlfriends. They all came trooping in, single file, with Hef in the middle of the line. Too funny, and it was a most memorable weekend!

The other story involves my nephew, who lives in L.A. A number of years ago he and his then-wife (now divorced) were invited to Hef’s 80th birthday party at the Playboy mansion. Then-wife is best friends with one of Hef’s god-daughters. Invited guests were told they had to wear either 1) nightwear - e.g., pajamas, negligee, nightgown, or 2) body paint. My nephew and then-wife wore pj’s, but there were guests there only in body paint. My nephew’s been in L.A. for years, has worked in the movie biz, and isn’t easily impressed by celebrities. But even he was amazed at the eclectic guest list - everyone from Mickey Rooney to a pre-political Donald Trump (who wore a trenchcoat and came with an entourage of body guards). My nephew said it was a night to remember.