Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Bang

Hell's Kitchen has calmed, but it's not out of the fire yet. When an unknown vigilante begins to take the fight to the streets in a big and bloody way, Matt Murdock must don the mask of Daredevil to stop him before innocent people end up in the crossfire. A battle of full measure versus half, a conflict of morality and justice, Daredevil vs The Punisher.

“It’s not underwear, Foggy. Underwear is comfortable.”
Hahaha. And Turk calling him “D” and begging him not to send him back to jail. Priceless.

Oh wow, that last fight scene! I know there’s no way D is dead, and I was going to try not to binge too much, but damn, I have to find out what happens next.

• Love 5

Karen being bad-ass, woo!  Woman has nerves of steel.

Love the 'relationship' between Daredevil and Turk, I recognised his voice as the camera panned around from the front of the car and was happy to see him back.  The actor makes him such a well-rounded character that I enjoy seeing him show up even though he's a (small-time) crook.

• Love 5

I LOVED the Punisher's hospital entrance it was awesome!!!

The maiming, bone breaking, blood, and all out violence was crazy.

Karen is awesome I love the way Marvel Netflix women are written.

Yep I'm gonna binge watch this.

• Love 2

That scene where Daredevil is walking through the warehouse and then starts finding the bodies hung up with the pig carcasses was fucking creepy!!

And Frank is basically the Terminator right now, especially when he went through the hospital in search of Grotto (Grotto?) That was a hell of an ending to the first episode which is all that I've had time to watch so far.

I also really loved Foggy and Matt's stroll through Hell's Kitchen at the beginning as well as the both of them using Matt's heightened senses to get some information at the crime scene. "Your hearing's better than mine." Foggy, Matt and Karen are still very much a team and Karen getting the job of watching over the hospitalized guy winds up as dangerous as what both Matt and Foggy took on. Interesting that Karen succeeding in escaping with Grotto, Foggy managed to get some information from the Dogs of War without getting murdered or badly beaten and/or stabbed but Matt got shot in the head.

I'm so glad this show is back. Interestingly enough, no hint of the Hand in this episode. I imagine that when they do come back, it will be decisive and brutal.

• Love 4

Aaaaaand we're back!

The cold open was great.

Love Foggy being happy Officer Mahoney called him a "friend".

Yep, Karen does have "balls". Bigger ones than yours pal.

So glad Daredevil and Punisher met right away in the first episode.

• Love 2

Great to have this show backnow. And it's as good as ever. Marvel's Netflix stuff is some of the best television around.

Really enjoyed all the scenes between Matt and Foggy. Now what Foggy knows the truth, and is okay with it, they can talk so openly, and it's really refreshing for a comic book story. Them becoming the beacon of hope for the downtrodden of Hells Kitchen was a great continuation from season 1. But Foggy not knowing when to call it quits with the bikers was genuinely tense. He needs to be more careful.

Karen is so thirsty for Matt that it's ridiculous. Even if he didn't have super enhanced senses, he'd pick up on it. She's pretty awesome, though. Her talking the surviving mobster down was hot. And escaping from the Punisher was badass.

It was nice to see Turk return as well, and his increasingly long-suffering life at the hands of Daredevil.

I liked the introduction of the Punisher, just blowing away all those Irish gangsters. Pretty much his speciality. I hope the show keeps him as the villain he really is and doesn't try to make him an anti-hero. He's a lunatic. Where's Molly Hayes when you need her? And talk about a killer climax!

I liked the new detective and the return of Brett, the one straight cop in town. I love his contempt for Foggy, in particular.

• Love 4

I think Frank is interesting and he certainly taps into that part of us that would be happy to take out the trash for good. But he is a hard look into that very dark, dark mirror inside all of us... what happens when you open that door? What happens when you go down that path? And I also think that his origin story makes sense... he's those Revenge/Action Flicks in comic book form. You know, things like Death Wish back in the 70s -- that continued on into the 80s. Where Frank comes from appeals, on some level, to a great number of people but, at the same time, he also is a warning.

And he's a very interesting foil for Matt especially here and now in the series. I am very much looking forward to how it plays out.

• Love 4

Glad to see Daredevil still loves its bone crunching noises. And blood. Lots of blood, as the Irish shootout attests. This may be unpopular, but I miss Matt's black get up when he started off.

And I guess the pool scene was supposed to show some Matt/Karen flirtation/heat? For me, it fell flat.

• Love 5

Grotto! I didn't know they were using him this season. Now we've just got to get him and Turk together. (For those not in the know, Turk and Grotto are old mainstay criminal sometimes informants/sometimes thug adversaries of DD's in the comics.)

The Punisher is pretty brutal and efficient, but something tells me he's not the only one operating here. That scene of the cartel(?) guys hanging in the meat locker doesn't seem like his M.O. Those guys were gutted and hung on meathooks; Punisher just shoots people. Someone else at work, maybe (Bullseye?)

They jumped pretty quickly into the Punisher storyline, in any event. Was only planning on watching the one episode for now, but with that ending, I'm going to go ahead and watch the next, too.

Glad to see Daredevil still loves its bone crunching noises. And blood. Lots of blood, as the Irish shootout attests. This may be unpopular, but I miss Matt's black get up when he started off

I kind of prefer the black outfit, too. I thought it looked really good.

• Love 3

Do I binge, or do I savor each episode? Choices! They hurt! 

The friendship between Matt and Foggy is still a highlight of the show. I love that Foggy is in the know now, but still has really ambiguous feelings about Matt being DD. The scene where Foggy said he didn't want to lose Matt got me right in the feels.

Karen is an awesome badass. I love that Karen is allowed to be a strong, competent woman (who still has flaws and makes mistakes) without being a super badass ass kicker.

Great to have this show back! Now, to watch another episode, or not to watch another episode... 

• Love 4

I liked the introduction of the Punisher, just blowing away all those Irish gangsters. Pretty much his speciality. I hope the show keeps him as the villain he really is and doesn't try to make him an anti-hero. He's a lunatic. Where's Molly Hayes when you need her? And talk about a killer climax!

He shot up a hospital just to try and kill one low level Irish goon. Could be hard to sell any kind of redemption after that.

• Love 3

Daredevil is back, baby!

We only got a brief glimpse of Frank so far, but I really do think Jon Bernthal is going to end up being the perfect choice for the role.  Just like with Shane on The Walking Dead, he just gives off a vibe of someone who is always unhinged, dangerous, and believes he is justified in his acts, no matter how horrible they are.  I'm sure there is a reason for why Frank is doing this; and maybe it is a good one; but a guy who clearly has no issues shooting up a hospital to take out one low level goon, is clearly not right in the head.  I so can't wait to see more of him.

Until then, it was nice to see the return of Matt, Karen, and Foggy, even if a lot of the episode was mainly set-up for what's to come.  I still dig the Matt/Foggy friendship and how they bounce around between banter and then serious conversations about how Matt's being Daredevil is effecting him and his well-being.  I have a feeling they only scratch the surface of this, and I'm sure Foggy is holding on to a lot more concerns, but I'm looking forward to how this plays out.  I just wonder if Matt is still going to keep Karen in the dark for this season.

Speaking of Karen, loved how she didn't abandon Grotto and how didn't let him try to push her away.  She might not be a fighter like Matt, but she really is just as brave, in my opinion.  For a character that could easily fall into the typical love interest trap, I still think she rises above it thanks to the writing and Deborah Ann Woll's performance.

Loved that they brought back a few of the smaller characters to like Turk and Brett.  And how Fisk is inadvertently playing a part from prison, by how his absence is causing all these crime gangs to attempt and fill his void.  That's what makes this so hard for poor Matt.  Anytime he takes what threat down, others will step into its place.  It's hard out there in Hell's Kitchen!

• Love 1

I didn't realize until reading the TV Tropes recap but the "Dogs of Hell" biker gang were previously seen in the MCU in the first season of Agents of SHIELD episode when Lorelei the Asgardian took over a southwest chapter of the gang.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

That's a good catch.

I love Daredevil's little smile at the end of the cold open. That was a good night for him.

Foggy: You ever wake up in the morning, and the second you get out of bed it's like every molecule in your body hurts?

Matt: No, never.

Matt, you're such a liar! But maybe Matt was kidding because he had sort of a wry smile on his face when he said that.

• Love 3

Beautiful ending. Though my favorite bit was the police chief looking through a bloody hole which we later find is a corpse's ribcage. 

Karen and Foggy have come a long way. More impressive progress in both their accounts than Matt even. 

I didn't realize until reading the TV Tropes recap but the "Dogs of Hell" biker gang were previously seen in the MCU in the first season of Agents of SHIELD episode when Lorelei the Asgardian took over a southwest chapter of the gang.

Funny how much more menacing the HK branch is. 

Edited by driedfruit

I like that all both Foggy and Karen have their skill sets. Foggy walks into a biker bar and manages to get information without getting stabbed and Karen protects a guy in a hospital from a guy shooting it up.

I loved the scene in the bar and on the office.

• Love 3
This may be unpopular, but I miss Matt's black get up when he started off.

I don't think that's unpopular. I loved the Man in Black getup, and don't really think much of the official Daredevil costume.

I loved the scene in the bar and on the office.

What's up with the bar? Didn't Josie's get blowed up real good in Jessica Jones?

. . . okay, Luke's is in the East Village (Vazac's) in the real world, and Josie's is in Williamsburg, Brooklyn (Turkey's Nest). So, not the same bar. My bad. But what's the point of using different locations if they look so similar?

"And where's this asshole's hand?"

The finest bit of dialogue I've heard all week. Absolutely magnificent.

He's getting too old for this shit and he's only two days from retirement.

This was a great first episode to the season. And thus this comment will be short because there's no way I'm not pressing play on the next episode right now. I saved this for the Easter long weekend and will be binging the whole thing in one day I think.

If I have an issue, it's that they do seem to be pairing Karen with D and no doubt there will be a triangle with Foggy too. I could have done without that. But then if I was Karen I'd want to jump that too. So I'm not that disappointed.

• Love 1
(edited)

Now I'm wishing I'd watched this in March, but I was having trouble focusing, and I wanted to watch it when I was feeling better. I watched this episode last week, though, and just watched episodes 2 and 3, so I might have to comment in another thread. The one thing I remember from the first episode, aside from the meat hooks, and the Punisher's entrance in the hospital, was Karen running in heels. I can't even walk in them, so I always end up wondering how they do that, rather than say, the bullets flying in her direction as she runs. That's a motivating force, and I might even be able to run in them, in that sort of situation.

Jon Bernthal was peefect for this role. 

Edited by Anela
On 3/18/2016 at 11:20 AM, VCRTracking said:

Aaaaaand we're back!

The cold open was great.

I started with thinking here we go with the scene from The Untouchables once again when the machine gun opened up.