Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E19: Terry Kitties

• Start Topic

In an attempt to prove to his old precinct that he’s not a joke, Terry enlists Jake’s help in solving a case from his past. Meanwhile, Adrian moves in with Charles, with mixed results, and Amy invites herself to a hyper-competitive training exercise with Holt and Rosa.

Poor Hans, John, and whoever the third cat was (I know it was Die Hard, but I shamefully admit I don't remember character names outside of those two).  Isn't wasn't their fault, Terry.  They were just pawns!  I do hope they find a nice home.  Hell, I'm pretty sure Jake wanted to take them home.  I know Amy's allergic to dogs, but have they said anything about her being allergic to anything else?

Not my favorite episode, but it still brought some laughs.  Always great seeing Jake and Terry paired up, even if it goes down the obvious routes with them managing to solve the case at the end, and Jake prove that he truly is a good friend.  But I always like how they make Terry someone who is open about his emotions, and doesn't always act tough.  He truly did feel embarrassed about how the case originally went down, and even though he could probably out wrestle the entire 65 by himself, he still felt hurt and angry over how they mocked him.  I'm glad he got his moment and was the bigger man (heh) in the end.  Which, naturally, left Jake to be the one to dump rats at their place.  Classic Jake!

Holt, Amy, and Rosa's plot didn't really go where, although I always love over-competitive Amy, and Holt being a poor winner was hilarious.

That said, I'm truly tired of Adrian now.  He's just so one-note and I feel like he's overstayed his welcome, even though he's only been in three episodes.  That entire plot was a bust, despite Boyle/Joe Lo Truglio's best efforts.

The cold opening was my favorite part.  I especially loved the way Andre Braugher delivered the "I only gained THREE POUNDS!!" line.

• Love 2

whoever the third cat was (I know it was Die Hard, but I shamefully admit I don't remember character names outside of those two).

It was Nakatomi after the building.

I am 99% certain that they first thought of the bomb subplot when the writers were coming up with ideas to hide Melissa's pregnancy.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
(edited)

So will they be putting her in one of those inflatable sumo suits to hide her pregnancy next? I actually found it amusing when they used every prop known to man to hide Alyson Hannigan's pregnancy on How I Met Your Mother, so I'm fine with whatever weird schemes they come up with for Melissa Fumero (which is preferable to making her character pregnant).

I actually thought the bomb suits were a fun way to hide her pregnancy and let her stop holding huge boxes in front of her belly.

I loved how much Terry resented the kittens so I cracked up when he called them dicks.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6

I loved the scenes of the enormous Terry holding the tiny fuzzy kittens and professing to hate them.

I thought that one of the team -- surely Scully or Hitchcock-- would make a mistake in defusing the dummy bombs and the dummy would make a big "poof".

Is Adrian now going to be a regular? His weirdness is an amusing twist but I don't know how long it can go on before he becomes annoying.

The Adrian plot was worth it just for the obvious but perfectly delivered, "is that what happened? Or did I just beta you into protecting me?"

That was my favorite part of the episode! Charles is such an amazing character---the sweet, loyal, lovably hapless 'geeky sidekick' in many ways, yet so much smarter and stronger than we'd initially expect. 

I completely get why many wouldn't like Adrian, but I have the UO of really liking what he's bringing to the show...at least in relatively small doses :) Parts of the show's characterizations and group dynamics can start to feel a little stale for me---yes, we get it, Amy is a sweet but super competitive overachiever; Rosa is stoic and badass; Jake is a jocular, seemingly immature goofball who's actually an amazing cop and even more amazing friend; Gina is...Gina. (And I LOVE Jake and like Amy and Rosa too, by the way---I'm just saying that the writers go to the same well fairly often!) Adrian adds an edge and darker humor that makes things kind of interesting and breaks up the show's sweet but sometimes slightly too sugary vibe a bit. And I tend to find darker humor pretty funny :)

But just to prove that I do like some of the show's determinedly positive sweetness...Jake's love for those kittens made my night!  

• Love 2

Terry seriously needed to love the kittens and take them  home to his babies. I wanted to see him turn the joke back on the teasers by posing with the cats and making a calendar with photos of them, then selling 10 million copies. In addition to solving the case, of course.

I would like to see Holt paired with Adrian. And then I want Adrian  to get off the totally one note characterization or move him out of there. Everyone else is a competent cop. We need to see how this guy is that, also. If he's just a broken hero, he needs to retire. I can deal with him being weird, but not if that's all he is.

Seeing how Gina was affected by Charles suggesting he'd beta-maneuvered her was awesome.

• Love 1

I especially loved the way Andre Braugher delivered the "I only gained THREE POUNDS!!" line.

Actually I thought Holt was sensitive about the three pounds which he considered a lot, hence his taking offense at the use of the word "tank." He didn't say "I only gained three pounds," he said "I gained three pounds!" like that was a lot. That was my interpretation anyway. 

Kitties!

• Love 6

Jake's adoration of the kitties made the whole episode for me. Well, that and Charles beta-ing Gina into protecting him. "No. No."

Jake blowing three kisses to the cats in the cage was awesome. 

• Love 6

I am 99% certain that they first thought of the bomb subplot when the writers were coming up with ideas to hide Melissa's pregnancy.

When I watch this show I NEVER remember that Melissa's pregnant. I need to try to remember next time. Anyway, I bet the writers had a good laugh about using the bomb suits.

I loved how much Terry resented the kittens so I cracked up when he called them dicks.

That was hilarious. Did he say, "Get back in the cage, you dicks." ? Man, that first kitten esp was cute. All its paws were like little white socks. I think the kittens were ragdolls. 

Jake with the kittens was so cute. Loved him throwing kisses to them, naming them Hans, John, and Nakatomi, doing fun stuff with them.

His map of Brooklyn with all the pins in it marking where burglaries have occurred cracked me up.

Jake: You can make your boobies do that bouncy thing.

Terry: They're called pecs!

Actually I thought Holt was sensitive about the three pounds which he considered a lot, hence his taking offense at the use of the word "tank." He didn't say "I only gained three pounds," he said "I gained three pounds!" like that was a lot. That was my interpretation anyway. 

I think he was sensitive about it but was stressing 3 pounds because that's not a lot. When Jake says, "So long, tank," Holt says, "Tank? I gained 3 pounds in Paris. 3 POUNDS!" so he's refuting that he looks like a tank because he gained only 3 pounds.

I loved the cold open with Holt so happy. Of course Hitchcock and Scully would spoil it.

Loved when Holt defused his bomb first. "Hooooo, mama!"

Amy: You're just as competitive as WE are!

Holt: Absurd. I'm more competitive. Now… Who's da bomb?

Oh, and earlier:

Holt: We are police officers, not street urchins playing speed chess in the park! For shame.

I enjoyed Gina and Charles together. 

Gina: I know that your spirit animal is a caterpillar that's been stepped on…

The way she said "Barf" in response to something Adrian said was so funny.

I liked Adrian in the previous eps, but not so much here.

• Love 4

Jake`s love of the kittens was just the most adorable thing ever. Especially when he blew individual kisses at all of them when he was leaving the room at one point, that was just so adorable. Let Jake and Amy keep the kittens! Make it so! 

My second favorite part? Jake and his horror at the many crimes in NYC, and wondering why anyone lives there. Heh. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7

I loved Amy's overenthusiastic response to the precision driving competition. "I will run you into the wall. I will kill you."

Don't forget Captain Holts response "Oh my"  I just laughed and laughed. He does so much with so little.

• Love 7

I'm can't with the new guy. When is he leaving my screen? Because whenever it is, it will be many episodes too late. Rosa's interest in him makes her seem mentally unstable as opposed to the badass only playing unstable I have come to love.

• Love 3

Not much more to chime in here; most people have already cited the great parts but there are a couple that haven't been mentioned and they both involve Gina...

The good: in the cold open, when she told Holt that she wanted to answer the phone like this [sings] "wwhoooooooooooooooo dis?"

The bad: Gina talking about wanting money to buy Terry a horse that he'd have to ride all the time (shirtless too, I think). This moment was somewhat saved by Terry's bitchface and comment that HR was going to have to remind people about workplace boundaries. Finally!! If the genders were reversed and a male worker constantly complimented his female colleague on her figure and hotness levels, he'd be (rightly) skewered, so while I understand her appreciation of Terry's attributes, she needs to stop commenting on it publicly...

Edited by NoWillToResist