Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

24 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Do you mean the daughters (the plaintiffs) weren't f***ed over and set themselves up for it, or the parents? I can't imagine that anyone would seriously think that the 4 daughters named in the case had a say in how their parents handled the situations where Josh molested 5 girls, in which case it is the parents - not part of the case, and therefore not relevant to it - who set themselves up for this thinking they were above the law, and the four daughters were indeed f***ed over by their parents and maybe also - depending on how the case turns out - by (individuals employed by) the police/city/media. 

What is your point?

8 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

The fourth amendment gives people a right to privacy. 

No, not in this case.  You aren't a US citizen, that's ok. I don't know Australian law or claim to know anything about it.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 2

I would like to share global, non identifying, often repeated scenarios that myself and many other therapists have experienced working with trauma survivors.

Sharing information in written form because its too difficult to say out loud. Closing one's eyes while sharing because of feelings of shame. Qualifying and excusing the offense because the victim still loves the offender. Not wanting to share at all because mother, father, boyfriend, girlfriend, uncle, cousin, neighbor, etc will find out. Keeping the secret for years and years for a plethora of reasons.

I feel very strongly that the only person who has the right to share information about their sexual abuse is the victim.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

I feel very strongly that the only person who has the right to share information about their sexual abuse is the victim.

In the Duggar case, someone told someone that abuse happened or Josh was caught doing the evil deed or all of the above.

1 minute ago, ariel said:

In the Duggar case, someone told someone that abuse happened or Josh was caught doing the evil deed or all of the above.

Rumors, church confessions and local gossip is far different than a tabloid publishing printed documents on the internet.

• Love 3
Just now, GeeGolly said:

Rumors, church confessions and local gossip is far different than a tabloid publishing printed documents on the internet.

Info that was legally obtained 

• Love 1

Hi guys, you ARE in fact going round and round, and on an issue we've discussed many times already. Stop trying to convince each other of your respective Rightness. You've all stated your opinions several times, so now it's time to move on. Leave the legal nuances to the courts.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, ariel said:

Info that was legally obtained 

And incorrectly redacted. 

In the end I don't really care if it was legal, illegal, a mistake or whatever. The fact that this involves the Duggars doesn't matter to me either.

4 young girls were molested. This information was made public. And in my opinion that is truly tragic.

Oops was typing as your post popped up Aethera.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 3

Just because I've enjoyed reading this several times over the years, here's a piece in which Billy Graham's grandson bashes the Duggars six ways to Billy Sunday over their hideous handling of these events. http://religionnews.com/2015/06/12/responding-to-sibling-sexual-abuse-what-to-do-and-why/

@Churchhoney  Thank you for sharing that article.  Michelle and Jim Bob failed all their children but especially their daughters.  It's like they saw this list and either neglected or did the complete opposite.  Their leghumpers really have no clue about these people they defend.  

• Love 7

Not sure this goes here, but Bauer Media (the owner of In Touch) has been dismissed from the lawsuits.  The judge cited U.S. Supreme Court precedent which will be 99.99999% impossible to overturn (if they considered appealing).  Based on the ruling, the only defendants in the girls' case are the Springdale and Washington County defendants and in Josh's case the only defendant is the State of Arkansas - Department of Human Service.  No way they get any where close to $20 million (I think that is the number they had mentioned)?

• Love 11

Woah, that's huge. I'd love to read the judge's summary.

eta: found this article. It only mentions Smuggar's case against Bauer being thrown out, but wouldn't the grounds the judge applied also be applicable in the girls' case, given they were also suing based on privacy rights? 

I know Smuggar sells, but the article is rather poorly written.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, birkenstock said:

Wow, here is another link: https://www.courthousenews.com/judge-tosses-tabloid-reality-tv-familys-privacy-suit/.  From the article: “The Bauer defendants cannot be held liable for the city’s and county’s failure to follow the law,” Brooks wrote in a 16-page ruling.  

There's also a link to a pdf of the ruling there. 

Looking at the case, it seems that If Joy was smart (which we know she is not), she should have separately filed on her own.  As a minor at the time the documents were released she may have had the stronger case. 

Jinger too since although not a minor she and Joy weren’t on television saying it was no big deal in terms of what happened.  Jinger and Joy would probably play better in a jury instead of Jill and Jesse.

Edited by sr7698
Typed too fast
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, birkenstock said:

The linked article states that "Josh’s allegations against the county and city were dismissed in Thursday’s ruling for failure to state a claim." That means Josh's lawsuit is completely tossed, right? 

9 minutes ago, birkenstock said:

The linked article states that "Josh’s allegations against the county and city were dismissed in Thursday’s ruling for failure to state a claim." That means Josh's lawsuit is completely tossed, right? 

Not yet.  He has claims against the State of Arkansas Department of Human Services.  However I think the Judge’s ruling states that the department hasn’t even been served with a Complaint.  Josh won’t see a dime.

• Love 9
22 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

I read the article but I cannot find the link to the judge's summary can someone put it up here so I can read the summary

Click on the hotlink "ruled." The case is dismissed without prejudice. All the girls have left is that individuals did not redact the documents according to standing procedures.

3 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Well I'll be damned. I thought the lawsuit against InTouch would go further than a simple dismissal. What chance do they have of getting money out of the remaining defendants?

I am sure that the insurance companies for the counties are involved and if they get anything it will be a relatively modest amount and the cases go away through settlement.  

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, sr7698 said:

I am sure that the insurance companies for the counties are involved and if they get anything it will be a relatively modest amount and the cases go away through settlement.  

I was wondering if the city and county's insurance companies would cover any judgements against former employees, especially if the city and county as entities were not found liable.

We will find out soon enough. It looks like the cap in Arkansas is relatively low for any sort of civil judgement. I'll defer to the legal experts on that one.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:16 PM, Churchhoney said:

Just because I've enjoyed reading this several times over the years, here's a piece in which Billy Graham's grandson bashes the Duggars six ways to Billy Sunday over their hideous handling of these events. http://religionnews.com/2015/06/12/responding-to-sibling-sexual-abuse-what-to-do-and-why/

I want to thank you for posting this link. Its a very good piece and I really enjoyed reading it. I liked how explained how to handle that situation, how not to handle it, and cutting through the crap of using Scripture as reasons not to turn in a child. I loved him asking the clergy if he was trained to deal with sexual abuse when he explained wanting to talk to the victim first before deciding to call the police. I also really liked point out all of the services that would be available after turning in the child abusing his or her sibling. The programs, therapy, and other resources. Professionals who are trained to deal with sexual abuse who would be able to help the victim, the abuser and the parents. 

• Love 7

A total FU to the Duggar family, and coming from a Liberty University professor at that. Pity the Duggs never read it and the poor girls suffered for it. Feel saddest for vile Josh's youngest victims, who were 5 and 8 at the time, but were likely younger than that when he started. Then seeing Jill break down in a heap on TV while stone faced Jessa internalized it, being coerced to go on TV and claiming they forgave the swine. They may have, but clearly they never got to deal with the hurt it caused them.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

I wonder how fast they will appeal the courts decision because of the fact it was dismissed without prejudice ?

Unlikely. InTouch cited a SCOTUS decision for dismissal of the lawsuit and it was dismissed.

Page 6 and 7 of the judge's summary explain it better.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I was wondering if the city and county's insurance companies would cover any judgements against former employees, especially if the city and county as entities were not found liable.

We will find out soon enough. It looks like the cap in Arkansas is relatively low for any sort of civil judgement. I'll defer to the legal experts on that one.

Does anyone recall whether it was the counties that were dismissed, or was it the individuals who did the actual redacting? I'm pretty sure that the police chief (or whatever her title was) was cleared in the first wave of rulings last month. 

3 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Unlikely. InTouch cited a SCOTUS decision for dismissal of the lawsuit and it was dismissed.

Agreed. Using a citation from the SCOTUS pretty much puts this case to bed. Had the judge cited a case from a lower court, they would have had a better chance at appeal. 

On 10/11/2017 at 10:13 AM, Kokapetl said:

You’re a 100% on the mark. I would prioritise the reporting of sexual abuse victims, in order to identify those who need treatment as juvenile victims, then their juvenile assailants, and lastly, the prosecution of juvenile assailants. Potential prosecution can deter reporting, what’s more important? 

NM, didn't realize I was responding to an old post.

Edited by mynextmistake
18 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I know that and you know that but we are talking about the Duggars right?

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

The lawsuit was dismissed against the city and county as well as the county's lawyer. O'Kelly (Spr,ingdale PD Chief), Cate (Springdale's lawyer), and Hoyt (Washington County) are still on the hook. Those are the ones who are left.

Okay, that's what I thought I remembered. 

Not surprised they're appealing  ( @Absolom, do you have a link?), but even a higher court can't discount a previous ruling by the SCOTUS. I guess they can, but you'd need some pretty good case law to counter it. 

Edited by Sew Sumi

We know Josh molested five girls, I doubt that’s the actual count. The way he was coddled, rewarded for his crime, that swine left many more victims blaming themselves. Luckily for greasy, bloated boy, his victims hide in shame. Because Jesus and patriarchy. I can’t wait until that slime gets the Weinstein backlash.

• Love 14
12 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

O'Kelly (Spr,ingdale PD Chief), Cate (Springdale's lawyer), and Hoyt (Washington County)

Those are the people appealing.  They are saying the remaining suit against them should also be dismissed.

30 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I think the current firm will bow out and they'll have to hire Barry Zuckerkorn. :D

Or Bob Loblaw.  He can write about it on Bob Loblaw’s Law Blog.

Edited by sr7698
  • Love 3

It's been absorbed into the general Duggar thread. There's been plenty of discussion there today. They used to have the one for Joshley, but no one's posted on it in months. His travails seem to have been punted into the Smuganna thread. 

Dismissal without prejudice allows the plaintiffs to refile their claim if they choose. And I hope they do. This seems like a crap decision. I cannot accept that the dissemination of child sex abuse victims’ statements given to CPS, by a shitty checkout tabloid magazine, could ever be considered to be in the public interest. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, SMama said:

We know Josh molested five girls, I doubt that’s the actual count. The way he was coddled, rewarded for his crime, that swine left many more victims blaming themselves. Luckily for greasy, bloated boy, his victims hide in shame. Because Jesus and patriarchy. I can’t wait until that slime gets the Weinstein backlash.

If the Duggars lived a normal life, I would agree that he probably had more victims, but their lifestyle was so internally focused, that he may not have had easy enough access to other little girls.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, sr7698 said:

Looking at the case, it seems that If Joy was smart

That is a big if  !!

What makes me laugh is that all the articles I've seen bring up Josh's whole story again and reminds people what he did.  So, I guess that backfired for him.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Nysha said:

If the Duggars lived a normal life, I would agree that he probably had more victims, but their lifestyle was so internally focused, that he may not have had easy enough access to other little girls.

True, but the Duggars' insistence that the girls were only touched once, most of them while sleeping, is very likely untrue.  I suspect Josh molested his sisters many times in multiple circumstances and JB and Michelle coached the girls on what to say in the police interview to minimize chances of prosecution.

• Love 22