Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

After this latest TLC crap I really wish I Am Jazz and Who Do You Think You Are? were on a different network because they don't deserve to be in the same category as the Duggars, Browns and the like.

I really wish something had come of child protective services visiting their house. The young ones need to be rescued from this horribleness.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Wow. And do the names follow the likes? Or are they nameless likes?

I think the names follow the likes.  Which is why I'm a big meanie about not liking those "give so-and-so 1,000,000 likes" posts.

• Love 2

Guess they learned their lesson when they originally named the series Jill and Jessa: Counting On and then nobody at TLC could figure out how to photoshop Jilly and Triple D into any of the promo pics. Way to learn and grow, Nancy Daniels!

• Love 5
On 7/6/2016 at 0:26 AM, Kokapetl said:

None of those pictured above are alleged to have committed sexual offenses against children. 

No, definitely not. But at least for me personally, I find it completely impossible to forget about the fact that Jill and Jessa WERE victims of sexual abuse, and allllllllll the vast shitstorm of horror that went along with it, and that it definitely seems like TLC was banking on the fact that we, as the viewing audience, would not be affected by this. Nancy's a sick puppy, methinks.

• Love 3

It's sad that Jinger and Jessa think they're so up on fashion when in reality their outfits look like the kind of last minute throw-togethers most college girls sport when they're hung over, twenty minutes late for class and all their cute stuff is dirty. 

• Love 8

Or pregnant. I swear, I see that striped skirt on just about every knocked up Millenial in the 'hood. Jinger's outfit is apparently what she CHOSE to wear for that photoshoot with Jeremy that announced their courtship. Why not wear the cute outfit rather than a denim boyfriend shirt and ugly skirt? The long dress with the little jacket was CUTE! But oh Jinge....those years of perming and now apparently flatironing have left her hair really, really thirsty. Even thirstier than her father. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Or pregnant. I swear, I see that striped skirt on just about every knocked up Millenial in the 'hood. Jinger's outfit is apparently what she CHOSE to wear for that photoshoot with Jeremy that announced their courtship. Why not wear the cute outfit rather than a denim boyfriend shirt and ugly skirt? The long dress with the little jacket was CUTE! But oh Jinge....those years of perming and now apparently flatironing have left her hair really, really thirsty. Even thirstier than her father. 

I thought the same thing about the skirt.  Jill wore hers 24/7 when pregnant & stretched it to the max.

I do like Jinger's sandals.  

18 hours ago, BitterApple said:

It's sad that Jinger and Jessa think they're so up on fashion when in reality their outfits look like the kind of last minute throw-togethers most college girls sport when they're hung over, twenty minutes late for class and all their cute stuff is dirty. 

That's exactly what it looks like! I guess they think they've come a long way considering their days of Matchy Matchy prairie frumpers with clown collars? 

• Love 1

Whether or not Satan (let's just assume I believe in this character) had to do with temptation or fortress-building, or whatever once chooses to call it, unless Josh was possessed (which I don't think he is claiming), it was his free will and his alone responsible for giving in to it.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I don't think these people are very big on the whole free will thing. Don't forget, these are the people who refer to pot-lucks as pot-providences. Really.

OMG they do??? Bahahahahahahaha! That reminds me of when someone on these boards (maybe it was you?) wondered whether the kids use Countenancebook. :D

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Missy Vixen said:

Just in case you haven't seen it yet, Joshley Madison doesn't think he needs to apologize for his behavior.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/07/josh-duggar-wont-apologize-for-sex-abuse-and-adultery-he-believes-external-forces-were-to-blame/

I'd call him a piece of shit, but shit can actually be useful.

Posting my response on Parodies...it was worth it even though I'll no doubt be doing time in the Prayer Closet. 

(edited)

Just in case you haven't seen it yet, Joshley Madison doesn't think he needs to apologize for his behavior.

I guess that's what he learned in Jesus Jail.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 2
On 7/13/2016 at 2:56 PM, Missy Vixen said:

In other words, TLC was not interested in featuring the missioncating grifters Jilly Muffin and Triple D.

Weren't they headed home? Gosh, I wonder why? ;-)

If figured their calling it Counting On now that Jinger's courting. It's not going to be so focused on Jill and Jessa this season.

Jessa seems somewhat tuned into what the producers what, she'll get herself at least a B storyline. Shove off Joy-Anna, Jessa is Sierra's best baking friend now! Co-best friends though, she's still Jinger's best friend too. 

I don't know if Jill wants to be on tv, but it's clear she doesn't want to be isolated in Guatemala, living in that prison barred house. If she was was smart she'd drag her heels about returning there.  

• Love 2

Well, we know that they have to be back by early December to greet the holiday missioncationers. There are probably going to be two weddings to attend; Dan and his fiancee have only been together since January, so that moved quickly. I imagine they'll have the typical three month engagement to get their wedding in during the window when Derick is home so Derick can be in the wedding party. TLC may HAVE to film that because how many other plotlines do they have now, outside of Jinger's courtship/engagement? Her wedding, which will also about 100% likely be this fall so JILL can be in the wedding party, would, of course, be saved for the NEXT season. 

The media is so sad these days when picking Sierra's Instagram pictures of them at Chick-fil-A, which I posted here soon after it showed up (sorry, it's summer and I'm a teacher on break!). We already know the tabs read here based on the account of the Smuggar spotting at Home Depot (or whatever home supply store it was) not long after his jailbreak. 

Crazy days and nights has a blind that a lot of people think is about our boy Josh.  It's dated 7/18.  It's a blind about a serial cheater/former a list reality star/part time child molester that's hooking up again.  I would post the link, but my kindle won't let me.  Interesting.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, toodles said:

Crazy days and nights has a blind that a lot of people think is about our boy Josh.  It's dated 7/18.  It's a blind about a serial cheater/former a list reality star/part time child molester that's hooking up again.  I would post the link, but my kindle won't let me.  Interesting.

This former A list reality star/serial cheater/part-time child molester is hooking up with someone a family member introduced him to who can be discreet

. His wife puts up with it but I really don’t know why. She should walk.

On July 13, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Missy Vixen said:

In other words, TLC was not interested in featuring the missioncating grifters Jilly Muffin and Triple D.

Weren't they headed home? Gosh, I wonder why? ;-)

I guess since paying for traveling  film crews digs into the budget when companies pulled their advertising. If Muffy and Scruffy want a paycheck, they'll have to come home...pity...

I've seen a new(ish) TLC promo, running on other cable channels, spotlighting its "I am . . ." theme. The Duggs aren't included as far as I could tell, and since I'd DVR'd it I rewound and watched carefully. They have the Sister Wives bunch, Jazz, the fat and not-so-fabulous Whitney, and others. But no Duggs. 

TLC continues to give the Duggars their own page on its site with video clips of their mind-numbingly boring little righteous lives. But also, TLC didn't include any Duggars in its recent public event in Chicago featuring appearances by several of its series stars.

I think TLC's still not sure what to do with the Duggars. The painfully vapid "Counting On" episodes drew a million viewers but few sponsors, which means it wasn't hitting at its ratings weight in terms of ad revenues. They tried going stylish and edgy with that photo shoot of the older kids and kidults (minus the grifting missioncationers who weren't worth flying back from Danger America to participate), but that was just strange. Because the Duggars are so - passive. They are all about being cloistered from, and righteouser than, and "a little bit different" from, well, regular everyday American people.

They used to be sold by TLC as the "sweet, righteous, holy, untainted, obedient, extra-large, lovable family" during the 19K&C heyday.

After that facade was blown up by Joshgate, it's just been . . . odd. TLC's got a death grip on their huge corporate investment in the Duggars and I'm sure the bean counters have sweet dreams of someday being able to again monetize those zillion episodes by running them as repeats. There's a gleam of possible future revenue from a rehabilitated and redeemed and "cured" Josh, but AFAIK he's still poison and putting him on the show right now would be controversial. Would draw ratings but probably reduce ad revenues even further and cause backlash.

TLC is not ready to move on. They just can't quit the Duggars. I can imagine their geeks working the spreadsheets, developing the business cases for hanging on. Or, as the title admits, "Counting On."

• Love 11
(edited)

The Duggars are now what old Hollywood would have called "box office poison".

Boob and J Chelle have unavoidable roles in the Duggalo nuptials.  We'll be understanding that they can't entirely disappear for their own daughter's wedding, but I'd like to see as little of them as possible and please no silverfish dress.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

3531104f057e258d3724dc8aa0830097.jpg1023.jpg

She could try something like these. Just in case they're bored and reading PTV tonight.

She won't, though. Cause those look like, you know, actual clothes that a person would wear.     She seems to object to that.     Maybe Jizm Bob does, too.

Maybe they want her to wear her special clothes to show America what's wrong with itself. Or something.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

The Marie Antoinette hair would also be a nice change from the usual possum head that we've been subjected to for 30 years (thankfully, only 12 of those in moving film).

That MA hair looks like a drag ensemble.  However, it would call attention to the countenance.

• Love 2

I finally got to watch the video of Jessa and Jinger. Is it me, or does it look like they filmed it themselves?  It doesn't seem smooth, almost as if done on a personal hand held camera to me.  Is this them trying to stay in the TLC spotlight?  Or in the eaves as the spotlight is wishful thinking?  

(edited)
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

That MA hair looks like a drag ensemble.  However, it would call attention to the countenance.

Oh come on, you know that you wanted to see Mechelle on Drag U (RIP). :D

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Oh come on, you know that you wanted to see Mechelle on Drag U (RIP). :D

So totally DID! You're my sister from anothah mutha, after all!

Michelle's hatred of the gay community has basically sealed her fate that no one will ever willing to do her hair.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Barbie said:

She could make this herself with 3 old Christmas tree skirts... Buy used and save the difference... 

Reminds me of the episode of Designing Women when Bernice thought the tree skirt Mary Jo gave her for a Christmas present was an actual skirt to wear.