Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

http://m.nwaonline.com/news/2015/oct/06/judge-records-related-duggar-911-call-open-under-f/

So the ruling's been overturned and the 911 call is going to be made public. Guess we'll find out what that was all about, and who the minor was. It's been nothing but shitty stories ever since the TV show came back. Maybe God is trying to tell them something?

Damn these women in public service with the lesbian agendas.

• Love 11

Damn these women in public service with the lesbian agendas.

duggar_interview2.jpg

"It was an agenda, assholes!" ;)

(That said, I kinda think she said 'lesbian agenda'. It fit with her vcitimhood conspiracy babble.)

• Love 7

duggar_interview2.jpg

"It was an agenda, assholes!" ;)

(That said, I kinda think she said 'lesbian agenda'. It fit with her vcitimhood conspiracy babble.)

She said lesbian agenda. The follow-up stories from friendly media framed it as "some people thought they heard" lesbian agenda, but I'm pretty damn sure heard it.

• Love 2

She said lesbian agenda. The follow-up stories from friendly media framed it as "some people thought they heard" lesbian agenda, but I'm pretty damn sure heard it.

Maybe her sister was in on it! ;)

• Love 5

http://m.nwaonline.com/news/2015/oct/06/judge-records-related-duggar-911-call-open-under-f/

So the ruling's been overturned and the 911 call is going to be made public. Guess we'll find out what that was all about, and who the minor was. It's been nothing but shitty stories ever since the TV show came back. Maybe God is trying to tell them something?

I wouldn't expect the minor's name to ever be released, or for any of CPS's information.

They include the recording of the 911 call and supporting documents from May 27 and June 11 correspondence between Circuit Judge Stacey Zimmerman, who presides over juvenile court, and Ernest Cate, Springdale city attorney.

• Love 2

And the other shoe drops. Well this must be an octopus because of all these shoes...Jill and Derrick got dumped by the SBC, they weren't approved to be missionaries. So says the Inquisitir.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2473939/jill-duggar-and-derick-dillard-rejected-as-missionaries-by-southern-baptist-church/

Oh lookie here, I'm late to the party, the people on the Dillard's thread scooped me. Working for a living just gets in the way of serious fact-finding.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 13

From the Inquisitr article...

"The Dillards seem to have the cart-before-the-horse, or the fundraising before the preparation to be missionaries. With TLC now filming a special on the couple’s missionary work, it will be interesting to see what footage is aired about what the two are actually doing in Central America."

Translation...these two little grifters decided to collect donations under false pretenses so that Mr. Grifter Idiot could quit his legit job at Walmart and he and Mrs. Grifter Idiot and Baby could go on a free vacation and call it missionarying lite. I mean, after all, God had probably laid it on their hearts and they were PURPOSING to you know, do like, missionary stuff y'all, so that counts right? 'Cause, you know, Jesus.

That just tears it. On some level, I've always felt sorry for the Duggar kids, because really, what chance did they ever have, but now? Screw them. This is stealing and using God as your cover story.

Shame on them.

• Love 24

Precisely. Some people/ network executives never learn.

It would be a shame if the woman who rode the Duggars to the top of TLC and turned it into the fringey female submission channel ended up as a stay-at-home mom over this, wouldn't it?

• Love 10

From the Inquisitr article...

"The Dillards seem to have the cart-before-the-horse, or the fundraising before the preparation to be missionaries. With TLC now filming a special on the couple’s missionary work, it will be interesting to see what footage is aired about what the two are actually doing in Central America."

Translation...these two little grifters decided to collect donations under false pretenses so that Mr. Grifter Idiot could quit his legit job at Walmart and he and Mrs. Grifter Idiot and Baby could go on a free vacation and call it missionarying lite. I mean, after all, God had probably laid it on their hearts and they were PURPOSING to you know, do like, missionary stuff y'all, so that counts right? 'Cause, you know, Jesus.

That just tears it. On some level, I've always felt sorry for the Duggar kids, because really, what chance did they ever have, but now? Screw them. This is stealing and using God as your cover story.

Shame on them.

I think this is what comes of the Jim Bob-Michelle mindset in which their mere existence and presence before you constitutes a "ministry." Sickening, stupid, ridiculous and erroneous as this is, I think that they truly believe this by now and that they've passed it on to the kids.  I'm sure it's what the kids have heard constantly. This is what idiotic arrogance looks like in the second generation, I guess, when it's become received wisdom. Of course everything you do in pursuit of your "ministry" is fine, since it's you, one of God's special people, and your fundraising itself has saving grace in it. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 16

I think this is what comes of the Jim Bob-Michelle mindset in which their mere existence and presence before you constitutes a "ministry." Sickening, stupid, ridiculous and erroneous as this is, I think that they truly believe this by now and that they've passed it on to the kids.  I'm sure it's what the kids have heard constantly. This is what idiotic arrogance looks like in the second generation, I guess, when it's become received wisdom. Of course everything you do in pursuit of your "ministry" is fine, since it's you, one of God's special people, and your fundraising itself has saving grace in it. 

You're absolutely right...looks like Josh isn't the only one with entitlement and arrogance issues...but what's Derrick's excuse?

• Love 7

I'm not very optimistic that Derick will be able to change and to chart his own course in life, free of the Duggars and their ways. He could end up kind of lost and not strong enough to kick his way free. Especially while the Duggs still have a TLC contract for anything and enjoy a high level of visibility.

Me neither.

• Love 1

This is a thoughtful and thought-provoking post in total, Churchhoney. I was really surprised yesterday to see that Derick totally lied on social media about their status when he said they were "officially commissioned" by that church as missionaries. I can see how a young man could get swept up in the Duggar Kingdom of Grift, and I think he probably has been. 

I'm not very optimistic that Derick will be able to change and to chart his own course in life, free of the Duggars and their ways. He could end up kind of lost and not strong enough to kick his way free. Especially while the Duggs still have a TLC contract for anything and enjoy a high level of visibility.

Let's face it, anyone to whom JimBob is willing to sell off one of his daughters must above all be malleable. The Lyin' King wouldn't tolerate any challenges to the throne.

• Love 14

Let's face it, anyone to whom JimBob is willing to sell off one of his daughters must above all be malleable. The Lyin' King wouldn't tolerate any challenges to the throne.

I think that will hold true right up until the family financial situation gets seriously bad, and someone rich offers for one of the girls. At that point I think Jim Bob would sell up, even if the man was not a follower type of person.

• Love 3

I think the thing to keep uppermost in mind about both Ben and Dereck is that Jim Bob is the ultimate salesman. Gifted salespeople can confuse you and make your head spin so fast you fall down from dizziness. They also have a way of spinning things into making you think you're stupid, it's your fault, that mistakes they've made aren't mistakes and your misinterpreting them because you're stupid, and they'll say this in such a way that they're smiling and making you feel like they are thinking only of you and your best interests. That can make even the strongest person confused and wondering which way is up. Add money and a network into the mix and I'm surprised Derick's not wearing a straight jacket by now. 

The kids are used to this kind of manipulation. Ben isn't in a position for it to really matter (yet). But Derick is. I can't help but think that all he wanted was a mentor, fell in love with Jill, and just wanted a regular life with his wife and children. Jim Bob sold him a bill of goods, probably saying that he can live a "regular" life but with extra perks that will help him serve the kingdom in a way that would be pleasing to God. I imagine all Duggar spouses will sooner or later lose themselves in the vortex of Jim Bob's ego. 

• Love 3

I think the thing to keep uppermost in mind about both Ben and Dereck is that Jim Bob is the ultimate salesman. Gifted salespeople can confuse you and make your head spin so fast you fall down from dizziness. They also have a way of spinning things into making you think you're stupid, it's your fault, that mistakes they've made aren't mistakes and your misinterpreting them because you're stupid, and they'll say this in such a way that they're smiling and making you feel like they are thinking only of you and your best interests. That can make even the strongest person confused and wondering which way is up. Add money and a network into the mix and I'm surprised Derick's not wearing a straight jacket by now. 

Exactly. When you unwittingly fall in with a gifted con man like JB, then all bets are off about how you'll respond. It's like being unexpectedly thrown into mile-deep water wearing a tuxedo. You're confused as hell and just trying to keep your head above water. 

Jim Bob has thoroughly thoroughly conned his kids, so we know he's good at it. I think he's one of those people who doesn't have much of a brain, but who puts 100 percent of that brain to work trying to manipulate others. I had those in my family, and he seems quite familiar to me. Looks like an idiot in most of the ways in which we normally judge intelligence, but he can manipulate you into the most incredible things and tie your reason in knots in seconds. Also utterly ruthless.... And he never stops doing it.    

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4

As someone who's had that kind of dental and jaw work (for TMJ), it's not the kind of thing you do to enhance your looks. (Though, in my case, it did). I think that's reading a bit much into actions. That said, I'm sure Jill, even more than Derick, wants a life in the public eye. It's all she knows. Imagine actually being humble. The horror!

• Love 3

I agree. Jb has shown in the past that he is willing to compromise his beliefs for money, fame, and/or politics. If a suitor came along who could offer access to any three of those things, I believe JB would overlook qualities that would otherwise be deal-breakers such as a strong personality, financial independence, a desire for future children to be well-educated, etc.

And because this is the Media thread, I think any suitor who could generate enough interest for TLC to talk about bringing the show back in some capacity would be JB's hero even if he were the antithesis to everything JB normally looks for in a son-in-law.

This brings me back to my wish that Jinger or Jana would fall in love with an African American neurosurgeon or someone equally "exotic" (to them) and probably mind-boggling all the way around. Of course, any such person would be bored stiff by the Duggars. Oh, wait, what about Ben Carlson? (Is that his name?). He is even in politics, kinda.

• Love 3

And because this is the Media thread, I think any suitor who could generate enough interest for TLC to talk about bringing the show back in some capacity would be JB's hero even if he were the antithesis to everything JB normally looks for in a son-in-law.

Luckily for those possible suitors, though, by now they've probably had enough access to media to realize that, if they bought in, not only would they end up with possibly the world's worst parents-in-law but also would end up on the hook for future support of at least some of the parents-in-law's umpty-ump uneducated, nonworking children. Sometimes media is not your friend, Jim Bob!

• Love 6

This brings me back to my wish that Jinger or Jana would fall in love with an African American neurosurgeon or someone equally "exotic" (to them) and probably mind-boggling all the way around. Of course, any such person would be bored stiff by the Duggars. Oh, wait, what about Ben Carlson? (Is that his name?). He is even in politics, kinda.

Please not Ben Carson.  He's a nutcase too. 

• Love 9

Please not Ben Carson.  He's a nutcase too. 

Oh, I kind of like that idea. Maybe he and Bin could start a joint website -- Ben and Bin. And they could share a bit of wisdom with us each day. It might end up more popular than The Onion.

• Love 3

Oh, I kind of like that idea. Maybe he and Bin could start a joint website -- Ben and Bin. And they could share a bit of wisdom with us each day. It might end up more popular than The Onion.

LOL!  You may be onto something there.

And Bin could correct Ben every time she shares medical knowledge, cuz, ya know, Bin knows it all.

• Love 1

I hope that those who feel scammed by donating to Jill and Derick now realize in retrospect that the Jillards didn't ever state any real mission goals/plans/aims etc. I hope they've learnt a valuable lesson from this experience.

• Love 4

Agreed. And whodathunk Perez would ever get to mainstream? Page 666? I don't like him for a variety of reasons but he can deliver.

Hope he digs deeper.

The comments are overwhelmingly negative too, with a few misinformed posters and Duggar defenders.

These specials are cursed. Poor Jessa, why is Jill's scam eating up all her glorious pregnancy press?

• Love 6

In the comments on the Perez Hilton story, various posters have asserted, as facts, that the Dullards were getting drivers license and SS# from their donors, then selling that information, and that they've begun both blanket training and "saucing" Iz. I don't know if any of these things are true, but I'm enjoying the vilification probably more than I should be. See y'all in hell! :-)

• Love 10

In the comments on the Perez Hilton story, various posters have asserted, as facts, that the Dullards were getting drivers license and SS# from their donors

I remember this was discussed here....but wasn't it not what it appeared?

I genuinely believe that the VSEs are the first step to TLC trying to rehabilitate the Duggar's image and bring them back to television. However, even if the specials are a huge hit and score blockbuster ratings, I think it would still be almost impossible for 19 Kids and Counting to return to television in its original form, even with Josh and his family axed from the show.

It's more likely that we will get a rebranded and retooled "19 Kids and Courting" show that focuses on the lives of the already-married children (sans Josh, of course) and the older children as they enter into courtship themselves, and eventually get married and have babies. Television audiences love weddings and babies. 

Face it, Jim Bob and Michelle. It's the next generation's turn to "shine." You guys are out. 

Make it stop!

• Love 2