Type keyword(s) to search

Sense8 In The Media

Thinking  that "tribe" is a word which belongs to some race or to some ethnic group  is quite ridiculous imo. We talk about the Twelve  Tribes of Israel, about the Germanic Tribes, about urban tribes... "Tribe" was invented by the Romans to talk about Romans and  Roman society,  in  the first place. And  the concept has been around probably just as long as humanity itself. 

• Like 1

Yeah, that makes sense. I think with the group, the problem was that she basically gave a speech loaded with all kinds of borderline racially charged stuff, and then she dropped blame on one group of people, which is blatant. Also, in the statement their criticism of Lana was used to illustrate a bigger problem within the organization and the media in general. So it's not all about her, and hopefully it was a constructive call out.

The misunderstandings of the use of the word tribe in this case.

Not sure if those who wrote that letter were blatant ignorant to certain discourse or just uninformed. I think a lot of people know little about discussions about neotribalism or postmodern tribalism, where tribe is used in a somewhat different meaning than most of us still might think of when hearing the word, and certainly it's not used in the rather racist meaning of colonialistic times. As I guess not many are aware of the use of tribe or digital tribe in internet context. In short in these discussions tribe is understood as a group or a network of people who share common interests and connect over these interests. To be clear, interest is not necessarily something all voluntary, something you like or find thrilling, it can be about things you hardly have a choice to be interested in, like your ethnicity, your gender, sexual orientation or even social economical status. It is a way to look at how societies organize, trying a different approach than classical views of socio-economical class structures or ethnicity, national structures so far offered. It seems like the latter have lost some coherence in the increasing global connectivity and changes of economy and work structure, and some say we need new ways to look at and to think and organize society. The Wachowski seem to have read Baudrillard, you can see his book "Simulacra and Simulation" in the movie Matrix (Neo uses it as hidding place for things). Baudrillard's work has some influence on discussions of postmodern and postructural views, Lana obviously knows about debates of postmodern tribalism.

Lana was provocative in the speech, although after hearing it now, say, she made some good points. Still Lana's wording was not the best and sometimes tough to follow , but as much some might have misunderstood, not having the background of those discussions or not agreeing with the approach. Instead of the Black liberation movement could have as much brought up feminism, similar problems there, see episode 1 of the show, flashback to Nominita's first pride together.

For more info two links: A different view on Lana's speech at the Trans100 and a short introduction to (post-) modern tribalism.

And for everyone to hear for themselves, Lana's speech at the Trans100:

By the way, she talks a little about Sense8 at the beginning, that it's the first time she wrote a transgender character, has "intense autobographical scenes" and that it was a joy to work with Jamie Clayton, made it easier. As I think that the speech tells a lot about the core themes of the show.

Edited by myril
  • Love 2

Ami Ameen (Van Damme / Capheus) posted a cluster group selfie on his instagram in Berlin. Shooting was pushed back so the show probably won't return until at least the second half of 2016.

They did a table read for the first two episodes it seems, and a few shots over the holidays in Berlin. Miguel posted on Instagram a vid of the table round. JMS made clear on Twitter, that this was not yet the start of full main unit shooting. There was some more on social media from the cast, for Twitter I have a collection.

• Love 1

Right, John Toll, cinematographer of Sense8, mentioned in an interview in November about filming the show, that they're talking about starting to shoot second season in March. Here the interview with John Toll  (quite interesting to read, if you are interested in film making and not just the stars of the show).

Anyway, I came to this thread to complain about Sense8 not getting any recognition at the Golden Globes. At least a nomination would have been nice to recognise how tough it is to pull off a show like this. 

There had been a time I thought the Globes were at least a bit respectable, but this year's nominations and winners are partially a joke IMO. Biggest joke that they accepted The Martian for Comedy/Musical category and made it win the category - guess I somehow slept through the comedy or musical numbers in the film or they must have seen a different, special Golden Globes cut, because I didn't see any. I know that category has become a bit of a joke already the years before, but think they managed to top it this year. It's business, get that, but it's so ridculous.

That Sense8 wasn't nominated at all was maybe not that much of a surprise seeing how bad reviews were at the beginning. The Globes are given by people reporting about entertainment industry for press though mostly outside the U.S.. Should think they would get the global dimension, but they haven't shown much sense for that over the past time either IMO. They're just not ready for the show. Yet.

• Love 1

Those reviews hurt and first impressions tend to stick, which is so unfair sometimes. But cinematography and editing alone warrant a tonne of award nominations but the series will probably never get a look-in because of those initial reviews. It really matters because reviews of the whole show, for journalists who stuck around til the last episode, are generally positive, some are quite enthusiastic.

Tuppence is already spotting her Riley hairdo, she wouldn't do that if shooting was 2 or 3 months away, would she? Thanks for the twitter roundup myril. Apparently, according to tweets from Jaime and Brian, season 2 episode 3 will be mind-blowing ...

Edited by Boundary
  • Love 1
(edited)

FYI putting this here http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/lgbt/Second-Wachowski-filmmaker-sibling-comes-out-as-trans-/54509.html.

Lilly Wachowski's coming out op ed. Also, she accepted the GLAAD media award for best drama this weekend for Sense8. http://mic.com/articles/139728/lilly-wachowski-opens-up-about-her-transition-i-have-to-because-people-are-dying#.8WXlmCcEe.

She trashed the Daily Fail for trying to out her during her acceptance speech.

Another article about both sisters http://www.people.com/article/lilly-lana-wachowski-transgender-transition-matrix

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 1

What To Expect From “Sense8” Season 2

Buzzfeed talked with the cast.

It confirms, that Lana is doing this season alone, her sister Lily is taking a break.

They talk a bit about the recast, but no new details there, making it only clear (again) that it  was about different creative ideas.

The family feeling.

And then there are some hints by the actors for what's up for their chararacters in Season 2.

• Love 1

So I'm re-watching the series and realising that Capheus is the nicest of the bunch and my favourite and so much of that is the actor and his beautiful smile. I'm going to miss him and am nervous about how the recast will go. 

(edited)
10 hours ago, maraleia said:

You beat me to it. Among some nice insight into the core idea of the show JMS clarifies, that Lilly didn't "step down" or leave while production was well under way, but that Lilly took time off since before they started writing to focus on her transition.

Maybe some remember some picture from the first table reads posted on Instagram, showing scripts. People with keen eyes paying attention already noticed back then, that only Lana and JMS were named on the scripts. Just because some gossipy yellow press/tabloid and celebrity.news media morons failed at getting this news earlier (oops, did their gossip pipelines missed out on that?), or somehow for a moment felt obliged to hold back (doubtful), they now made fake drama of it. Add some crappy rumor and reputation-killing misinformation spreading clickbait sites like those christianwhateverblabla.com clones. Sad thing is, such oversensationalized, misinforming, clickbait, churnalism media have an easy job. Fans particular jump readily for any tidbit of alleged news.

Due time to get some different media attention.

Good that the Sense8 social media team is finally a tad more active again, posting more pics from the "world tour", aka the filming. As fans have been showing some activity on Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, posting pictures and celebrating recently #1YearSense8.

Edited by myril
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Holmbo said:

Creative differences. I wonder what he didn't like. Going to miss that actor.

I think he wasn't comfortable doing a sex scene with one or more of his male co-stars. The Wachowski's and JMS have said that all the Sense8's are pansexual. That's my take on it.

19 hours ago, maraleia said:

I think he wasn't comfortable doing a sex scene with one or more of his male co-stars. The Wachowski's and JMS have said that all the Sense8's are pansexual. That's my take on it.

That's a reasonable explanation. I hope it's that and not some dislike of how they wrote the character.

On 2016-07-13 at 6:41 PM, maraleia said:

I don't get what you mean here?

I hope that your explanation is correct. I thought it meant he felt his character was badly written in some way in the second season.

I'm bummed to hear that the actor playing Cepheus will not be returning.    I really did like his character.    Hopefully the new actor will be able to fill in his shoes.    I'm definitely looking forward to Season 2.    Will have to rewatch Season 1 again.

7 hours ago, Meedis said:

I'm bummed to hear that the actor playing Cepheus will not be returning.    I really did like his character.    Hopefully the new actor will be able to fill in his shoes.    I'm definitely looking forward to Season 2.    Will have to rewatch Season 1 again.

From everything the actors are saying the new actor is melding well with the rest of them and is all in on the storytelling aspect of the show which is what I think was the issue with the other actor.

Korean dramas tend to only shoot one season, 16 to 20 episodes long, as a general rule. There were reports that she's considering one, so I presume she'd film that during the Sense8 off-season. I wouldn't take the rumors of her leaving Sense8 seriously.

The "rumor" of Bae Doona leaving  I take not even as rumor but as nothing but clickbait buzz.  The sites making headlines about it are not credible, mostly plain black-hat SEO clickbait sites doing nothing but earning their money by pay for clicks, SEO spam. One of the things such sites frequently still do is article spinning, reusing the same article multiple times with a few changes in it, so search engines might not detect the SEO hack attempt. It's a mix of picked up gossip, social media posts, sketchy news and made up fake news, could be done by a bot even.  Unfortunately such sites have been pestering for a while already the news search for Sense8, creating false rumors of cancellation and dramas around the cast and crew, very annoying.

When Doona is "examing the project", it only says that she is considering to work for other projects aside of Sense8, it doesn't say she plans to leave. A lot of actors work on more than one project a year. Not even people with contracts as regulars on one of the big full season (aka 22 episodes) US shows on broadcast or cable networks by now have exclusive contracts if they are any smart and so do other projects in between seasons. 

Miguel Angel Silvestre (Lito) has done filming for the Spanish TV series "Velvet", Tuppence Middleton did Dickensian and War & Peace in between. Did anyone cry they are leaving Sense8?

What is true is that filming for season 2 has wrapped up (well, those social media post where from the cast).  It seems there will be a Christmas special, Jamie Clayton tweeted that a while ago, but there is still no official date for that neither for the release of season 2. 

• Love 1

I've only just found out by watching the trailer that Capheus's actor has been recast and I'm surprised by how upset I am. Capheus was my favourite of the Sense8s, I loved his warmth and smile and aura of innocence, and I generally dislike it when shows try to pull The Other Darrin anyway. Hmm, maybe I should hold off watching until after May to hear if it's as good as the first season. 

I am looking forward to the Christmas special maybe even more then Doctor Who.  Sens8 was a surprise hit for me.  I loved everything about it.  It is on the top three of favorite Netflix Originals.  Can't wait for Christmas.

2 hours ago, Ravenya003 said:

I've only just found out by watching the trailer that Capheus's actor has been recast and I'm surprised by how upset I am. Capheus was my favourite of the Sense8s, I loved his warmth and smile and aura of innocence, and I generally dislike it when shows try to pull The Other Darrin anyway. Hmm, maybe I should hold off watching until after May to hear if it's as good as the first season. 

Conspiracy theories abound by why he was recast.  It comes down to "creative differences" between him and the show runners.  People took that to mean "gay stuff" which has never been confirmed or denied.  I am taking "creative differences" to mean just that.  Sometimes shit happens.   People don't like each other.  One walks away.   I am hoping that the show is new enough that "NewCapheus" will be just as good if not better then "oldCapheus."

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Conspiracy theories abound by why he was recast.  It comes down to "creative differences" between him and the show runners.  People took that to mean "gay stuff" which has never been confirmed or denied.

Everywhere I've seen it talked about, the "gay" or "transgender" stuff has been denied.

5 hours ago, Ravenya003 said:

This is why he was replaced based on sources http://decider.com/2016/04/27/sense-8-aml-ameen-lana-wachowski/ so he might have had an issue with how his character would interact with the other Sensates sexually but we will never really know the truth.

Was he even in the christmas special? I don't remember.

He was in the Christmas special quite a bit compared to during the season. But they should be able to squeeze a bunch of scenes with him in one scheduled and dole them out over s2, since they shoot out of order/geographically. 

I'd love it if they shot 2 seasons back to back! Then they'd just all need to be available for the fifth season to complete the planned story...

On 11/04/2017 at 3:00 AM, ahisma said:

I am so xcited for the new season! And I'm not going to get to watch it until, like, a week later. Argh!

I feel your pain ;-)

I haven't checked out this forum in quite a while. I blame my current KDrama (Korean drama) phase but I simply had to recheck-in for Sense8 season 2 - having Doona Bae doesn't hurt either. So today I came across this unlisted trailer via Collider and it seems like we might encounter our first cluster out our own. Can't wait. Debating whether to call in sick or wait for the weekend to binge!

(edited)

I didn't find the "World Tour" shirt but here are some cool ones:

Main page for Sense8 shirts

Sense8 Colors

Sense8 Rainbow

Sense8 Minimalist (skill sets)

Sensates Names -- whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????  I hadn't noticed this before!

I would totally watch this!  Nomi and Amanita Mysteries

ETA:  How old are the Sensates

She didn't have Tony's age -- he's the youngest (he would have been 26 at the time the article was written).

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 2
(edited)

Those shirts made me realize, I don't think Netflix does much marketing of gear to go with their original shows. If they do, I've never seen any of it. This show has so many things about it that could go viral or become banners... I wonder if they made a conscious decision not to make products like this, or if it just never occurred to them to expand beyond the streaming service itself.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3