Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E04: The Blind Auditions, Part 4

• Start Topic

Are all the teams really full at this point? I thought with 15 minutes to go, the recap showed that Pharrell had 3 spots left (I don't remember the others), and there certainly weren't three performers left. But my TV guide says that tomorrow night is "Best of the Blinds". I'm probably remembering wrong but I really felt like none of the teams were full.

• Love 1
(edited)

A Masterlist for where the teams stand after the first two weeks with the number of chairs they got to turn. Asterisks for those given the dreaded montage, and italics for those from the second week.

Team Adam (11)

Caroline Burns (2, Returnee from S9)
John Gilman (1)
Laith Al-Saadi (2)
Matt Tedder (1)

Mike Schiavo (3)
Natalie Yacovazzi (1, Returnee from S9)

Nate Butler (3)

Owen Danoff (4)

Ryan Quinn (4)

*Katherine Ho (2)

*Lily Green (1)

Team Blake (11)

Adam Wakefield (2)
Angie Keilhauer (3)
Brittany Kennell (2)

Brittney Lawrence (2)

Justin Whisnant (3)

Mary Sarah (4)
Paxton Ingram (3)

Peyton Parker (3)

*Gina Castanzo (1)

*Teresa Guidry (1)

*Trey O'Dell (1)

Team Christina (11)

Alisan Porter (4)
Bryan Bautista (2, Returnee from S9)
Daniel Passino (2)

Joe Maye (2, Returnee from S9)

Kata Hay (3)
Kristen Marie (2)

Malik Heard (2)

Shalyah Fearing (1)
Tamar Davis (2)

*Chelsea Gann (1)

*Lacey Mandigo (1)

Team Pharrell (10)

Abby Celso (2)
Brian Nhira (2)

Caity Peters (4)
Emily Keener (4)
Hannah Huston (3)

Joe Vivona (3)
Jessica Crosbie (3)

Maya Smith (3)

Nick Hagelin (3)
*Johnathan Bach (1)

**I'm assuming all the montaged people this week were 1 chair turns unless someone corrects me....

What else did we learn tonight?

Tyler Perry support>>>>>>Sir Richard Branson or Andy Grammar's support, this season.

At least a couple of those last second Blake spoiler pushes must have occurred after Adam and Pharrell's teams were already full.

Adam clearly picked the Hoochy Coochy Blues kid to have an epic guitar solo-off against Laith.

I would've much rather heard more of Teresa and Lily, than the sad story guy who butchered Incubus aka the music I might actually sing if I was inebriated enough to do karaoke/sign up for a singing competition (Stellar, Drive, Pardon me, etc....) Justin the country guy could go places on Team Blake. 85% of his audition was smooth, and "in the pocket" if I allow myself to believe I know what that means.....and the other 15% at the top end was really shaky. Hopefully Blake picks a good song for him to battle on. Owen is clearly this year's Joshua Davis with more range, and Jessica Crosbie (the American Brit American) was mildly intriguing to see what Pharrell does with her.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1

When I heard that Owen's dad had written Take Me Home Country Roads, I was intrigued, being a huge John Denver fan. Then I heard "Starlight Vocal Band," and was all blah (I still can't believe they won Best New Artist Grammy over Elvis Costello!). Then I heard Owen sing, and became a fan for him.

There are some people I am already rooting for this season--Owen, Ryan from yesterday, Mary Sarah, and a few others. So, I will be sticking around to watch.

• Love 1

When I heard that Owen's dad had written Take Me Home Country Roads, I was intrigued, being a huge John Denver fan. Then I heard "Starlight Vocal Band," and was all blah (I still can't believe they won Best New Artist Grammy over Elvis Costello!). Then I heard Owen sing, and became a fan for him.

There are some people I am already rooting for this season--Owen, Ryan from yesterday, Mary Sarah, and a few others. So, I will be sticking around to watch.

Actually, they won in 1976 over Boston. Elvis Costello lost to A Taste of Honey in 1978. 

This season looks interesting; but I fear the battle rounds and the carnage it will bring with it. There may be too many decent singers going home prematurely.

(edited)

This season looks interesting; but I fear the battle rounds and the carnage it will bring with it. There may be too many decent singers going home prematurely.

I agree there are a lot of decent singers, but to me many of them are bland. I think there are probably about 6 or 7 stand-outs. Which is good news, because it looks like it will be a competitive season, without a pre-ordained winner like the last couple of times.

Blake compared Owen to Sawyer, but I think he's much further along in his development. Cool to hear an old Dylan song done with genuine feeling, and the vocal in service to the lyrics, with no meaningless runs. The guitar playing was skillful as well. Speaking of guitar playing, Matt definitely has a feel for the blues, but the vocal was pretty weak. That's how I also feel about Laith. Will Adam go the obvious route of putting them against each other?

Of the two Aretha covers, I liked Maya more than Tamar. Maybe because the song she chose allowed for more depth and subtlety than "Chain of Fools."

In their "duet" I though Joe Maye clearly was better than Christina, because he had a real feeling for the song.  I realize that Christina has a lot of vocal chops, but her singing always feel empty and showy to me.

Haven't any of these country singers watched The Voice enough to know that as part of Blake's Country Army they're going to get lost, and will have to go head-to-head against someone very similar? While on another team they'd have a chance to stand out. I guess it's an emotional response. They just can't resist him.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2

Haven't any of these country singers watched The Voice enough to know that as part of Blake's Country Army they're going to get lost, and will have to go head-to-head against someone very similar? While on another team they'd have a chance to stand out. I guess it's an emotional response. They just can't resist him.

I actually thought Christina made a good argument similar to what you are saying on Monday's show. She really fought hard for someone. Then the person STILL went with Blake. I forget the name - I think it was one of the female country singers.

• Love 2

Hopefully Owen's dad's got a good royalty deal for "Country Roads" because my nephew goes to WVU and learning and singing that song is virtually mandatory there, so he should be getting royalty checks every month.

In fact, I dare anyone to cross over the state line into West Virginia and not break out into that song. =)

Edited by DownTheShore
  • Love 1

Country singers should pick Blake 95% of the time. Remember Rae Lynn? Blake went to her bridal shower and wedding recently. (Not that getting a wedding guest is the goal here. It shows me there's still a relationship there that can help her career). He's had a number his Voice acts open for him. Even if Blake can't take 8 new mentees on every 6 months and you aren't guaranteed an opening slot at one of his shows, he can still probably get artists the right phone numbers or connections. Picking another coach may not even improve the odds of winning that much. Eventually you're going to need to beat Blake's country army. This show has a pretty poor track record of supporting its own winners anyway. I completely understand the strategy of picking Blake even if that means you cut your show short by a week or 2.

I loved the Blake/Christina back and forth. They both give as good as they get. I love Blake's charm and Christina's over the top everything. It makes for good tv. 

As always, I will not try to remember artists names for several more weeks.

• Love 10

Hopefully Owen's dad's got a good royalty deal for "Country Roads" because my nephew goes to WVU and learning and singing that song is virtually mandatory there, so he should be getting royalty checks every month.

In fact, I dare anyone to cross over the state line into West Virginia and not break out into that song. =)

While I hate to burst your bubble, the song was actually written about Clopper Road, which is a scenic winding backroad in my little town of Gaithersburg, Md., just west of Rockville. I guess "Country Road" sounded better than "Take me home, Clopper Road." 

From Wiki to confirm: What is today MD 117 was the inspiration for John Denver's hit song "Take Me Home, Country Roads," a song now associated with West Virginia. Songwriters Bill Danoff and Taffy Nivert, who later formed the Starland Vocal Band, wrote much of "Take Me Home, Country Roads" in December 1970 while working in Georgetown. Danoff and Nivert showed the song to Denver, who helped them finish writing the song. The song was inspired by a drive along Clopper Road to a family reunion in Gaithersburg. Denver, Danoff, and Nivert first performed the song December 30, 1970, at The Cellar Door in Georgetown. "Take Me Home, Country Roads" became Denver's first major hit after he recorded it in 1971.[4]

• Love 1

Though everyone who got through has at least some talent, I thought this was overall the weakest episode so far this season.  Nobody really blew me away.  Having said that, I would give the award for best vocal performance Maya Smith, while I'm probably most looking forward to seeing Owen again.  Matt Tedder's rendition of that Muddy Waters song was also fairly good.

I thought Joe Maye did much better singing with Christina than he did on his own.  I wonder if being Ellie Lawrence's boyfriend and having Mark Hood also in his corner will prove to be any help as he navigates the next rounds.

I really liked the way the British girl started Viva La Vida, but it really flattened out in the second half of the song.  I suspect her vocal range is somewhat limited.  I liked Brittany Lawrence's voice a lot more, even if she hit a couple of wonky notes towards the end and was a bit karaoke.

I guess they are going to both wrap up the Blind Auditions and start the Battle Rounds next Monday.  They've done that at least once before.

• Love 1

I really like Incubus and Brandon Boyd, and Drive is a good song.  But Adam was so right when he said it was wrong for him (forgot his name).  And then he went on to prove it.

That ending with Joe was a lot of fun.  Very cool moment.

Blues guy Matt could be interesting, plus I love me some "hippie" hair. 

Otherwise kind of a blah night with several voices I felt I'd heard before.  I'm really tired of belting divas who pull out too many runs.  And Chain of Fools should be retired forever from singing competitions.

Country singers should pick Blake 95% of the time. Remember Rae Lynn? Blake went to her bridal shower and wedding recently. (Not that getting a wedding guest is the goal here. It shows me there's still a relationship there that can help her career). He's had a number his Voice acts open for him. Even if Blake can't take 8 new mentees on every 6 months and you aren't guaranteed an opening slot at one of his shows, he can still probably get artists the right phone numbers or connections. Picking another coach may not even improve the odds of winning that much. Eventually you're going to need to beat Blake's country army. This show has a pretty poor track record of supporting its own winners anyway. I completely understand the strategy of picking Blake even if that means you cut your show short by a week or 2.

I loved the Blake/Christina back and forth. They both give as good as they get. I love Blake's charm and Christina's over the top everything. It makes for good tv. 

As always, I will not try to remember artists names for several more weeks.

I only watched this one and the Best Of, but wow, Blake Shelton had a winning argument there with his statement that he "keeps in touch."    Who would want to pass up the chance for that kind of connection??

• Love 1

As part of my job, I call state agency offices across the country to track down regulations. Every single time I'm on hold with a WV agency, they are always playing "Take Me Home Country Roads" in Muzak form. Ugh. I like the song, but when it's sung by Denver, not the bland instrumental version over the phone.

• Love 1

I thought Joe Maye did much better singing with Christina than he did on his own. I wonder if being Ellie Lawrence's boyfriend and having Mark Hood also in his corner will prove to be any help as he navigates the next rounds.

Wait, didn't Ellie have a fiancé. she was in a band with, who was the only one who understood her in her little town??? What is the story here?

Wait, didn't Ellie have a fiancé. she was in a band with, who was the only one who understood her in her little town??? What is the story here?

Joe called Ellie his girlfriend during his introductory package.  I have no idea what happened to her fiancè

Here's my thing about the woman who was accompanied by Tyler Perry.......you know Tyler, but you also know mother f*ing PRINCE (!)???  Prince is known for his protegees.  All that tells me is she's not that good and she's too darn old.  If Prince can't make it happen, or doesn't want to make it happen, for you (either by himself or through a connection), there's absolutely nothing that The Voice is going to do for you.  

I'm new to The Voice (started watching with Gwen) and haven't watched a season with Christina in it.  This has totally changed my opinion of her!  She can joke and have fun, comes across as smart and caring, and most importantly, I don't feel like she makes it all about her.  I guess that was my biggest surprise.  I thought the ego would get in the way.  I've never denied the girl has pipes, but I may be a new fan!   

• Love 3

In the beginning, that was kind of the rap on Christina, that she came across as cold and self-centered and arrogant, many times making it all about her.  I won't say "true or false" on that, but there was an awkward season or two, particularly between her and Adam, and it wasn't in a fun way.

So I really commend her (and the others) for her evolution as a team player with the other coaches. She's carved out a very different persona from Gwen or Shakira and personally I like that she actually will give singers some criticism and actual advice on how to sing or perform better.

She -does- still often ruin (for me) many singers that I liked in the blinds by coaching to go bigger and louder and throw in more runs. And sometimes, like with Matthew Schuler, I think she took someone who could have made it to the end and burned them (and their voice) out by choosing songs that were too demanding. JMO, but I like her on the panel better than as a mentor.  Still, her evolution on the show has been remarkable and this season she's added more feistiness and humor which will take some of the pressure off of Blake and Adam to be the Bickersons (Pharrell's quiet, non-competitive blandness becoming a relaxing contrast to the other three).

• Love 6

I concur that Christina has come a long way since the early seasons especially in terms of affability. And personally, I find that the seasons that she's on tend to feel more competitive. It seems like the group of singers are overall better across the board on Christina seasons. YMMV.

• Love 1

Maybe it's because they HAVE watched the show that they DON'T pick the other coaches.  In Blake, they have someone who truly likes and appreciates their style of music. Most of the other coaches have no idea what to do with a country singer, and really only seem to pick them because they want to get "a country singer."  Shelby from last year is a good example. Girl had a great voice, but choosing Adam did nothing for her except to help pump Adam's ego; she's one that would have done better with Blake. Not saying she would have been in the top 3 or 4, but he would have coached her differently and helped her choose songs more appropriate for her voice and style of singing.  It is unfortunate that most of them go with the same coach, but I think there's good reason, based on past seasons.

• Love 1

Joe called Ellie his girlfriend during his introductory package

He said good friend, not girlfriend. I think that Joe didn't have anybody interesting enough to bring with him this time, so the show just basically bought back some people to fit into the return storyline.

I agree with those who say that one would be a damn fool to be a country artist and not go team blake. Not only do the other coaches not know what to do with such artists, but you also risk alienating Blake's fan base by being on another team.

I also would choose Blake if I was a country artist.  I definitely wouldn't choose Adam because he just wants you to feed his ego and say that he beat Blake on getting a country artist.

I would pick Adam if I was a rock or Indie artist.  Pharrell likes different but he also likes R & B/soul singers.  Christina also gets R & B/soul singers and she usually gets the belters.

I only watched Christina this season and Sawyer's season.  She is funny and fiesty during the battle rounds.  At least, she can say that she can help teach a contestant how to sing instead of saying stuff like, "I can show you how to dress." like Gwen does.  Shakira and Usher were funny together too. 

Pharrell is mellow.  He gets artists because of who he is.  It's very rare to see him beg for an artist.  If he comes on strong, then you know that he really wants you.  Adam shows his pleading face to everyone so you never know if he really likes you.

Edited by realdancemom