Type keyword(s) to search

Happy Place: Gratefulness And Smiles

• Start Topic

OK, it's coming up two weeks since my getting my connecting flight back to my home city got cancelled  and I wound up getting stuck in the NYC  area for four days until I was able to land a successful, uncancelled connection.

However, during the worst of it when I wound up having to stand in line six hours to wait for a United Airlines Customer Service Representative to attempt to book another flight. Roughly four hours into that time,   nature make VERY loud calls to me and NOT accepting 'no' or 'WAIT' for an answer,  so I am VERY grateful to the couple from California who agreed to hold my place in line while I made my way to the nearest bathroom to answer said call!

I've traveled enough to know that one NEVER should attempt to ask ANY stranger to watch one's luggage (no matter how charming, 'nice',etc. they may appear) and it's better to carry one's luggage EVERYwhere than to chance it getting stolen and/or confiscated by airport authorities and I knew there was a chance that this couple might have developed amnesia about my existence in my absence which would have required me to go the NEW end of the line (which would have been horrible but not as horrible as needlessly getting my luggage stolen/destroyed). However, they DID hold my place and I truly appreciate them doing that little gesture even though they'd have gained one spot up in line via 'amnesia'!

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

I've had a horrible time over the last year, a serious medical issue that I haven't shared here (and with very few people in my "real" world).  During that time, I've discovered a new (to me) musical artist, who recently announced a new tour. I've been debating whether to go.  There's only one venue that works for me and that still involves a flight, it's mostly standing room with a small seated area and I'm too old for standing...  But it would give me something to look forward to, several months in the future.

Finally I decided to just go online as soon as tickets were released and see if I could get in the seated section, and I set a price ceiling for myself in case I'm unable to go and it's a throwaway.  At least I'll know I tried.

Ticketmaster, of course, rat bastards.  The site kept freezing, it kept logging me out and making me reset my password, the wheel of doom kept spinning, then it said "sold out" in just a few minutes.   But somehow I managed to select, put in my cart and actually purchase what appears to be the last chair in the venue!   

I'm very excited.

• Like 9
  • Applause 5

Got this comment on a fanfic of mine last week and I’m still adoring it. (The fic itself is…not as happy in a lot of scenes, but I love that someone enjoyed it this much since it’s in a dying fandom and the main character of the fic is a side character in canon whose potential I just latched on to.) 

The fanfic for anyone who’s interested. 

97DBB184-E77C-4EBD-8C39-1ED754E3EE50.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Applause 5

Some scars on my body I was told were permanent have vastly improved from ONE microneedling treatment. 

I’ve been open here on how much my skin can affect my mental health and hesitation with dating, so I am thrilled and so excited. I feel like my life is getting better and better. 

I am really grateful for this doctor. I spent thousands on treatments in the past that did nothing. (I even tried microneedling the area before, but didn’t have good luck with the previous provider.) This dermatologist is knowledgeable, thorough, and is so honest with what’s possible and fair with pricing. I think I might even be able to wear a swimsuit at some point. I might cry tears of joy if I can get to that point. I haven’t worn a swimsuit since I was around 12 years old. 

• Like 6
  • Love 3

I got a first place and a best in show for my sweater project at the town fair!  It's a small arena, but I am very proud.  (This Norwegian sweater would likely not even get an honorable mention at the Minnesota State Fair LOL.  They take their Norwegian knitting seriously there.)

IMG_0956.jpg

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 4
  • Applause 14
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I got a first place and a best in show for my sweater project at the town fair! 

That's a big deal--don't minimize it! I haven't done anything close to that, but I know how complicated those intricate patterns are. Give yourself a firm pat on the back! It's beautiful.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

That's a big deal--don't minimize it! I haven't done anything close to that, but I know how complicated those intricate patterns are. Give yourself a firm pat on the back! It's beautiful.

Thanks for the boost.  I confess to jumping up and down like a loon when I saw it. 

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Take a look at the above judging criteria. 

Oh, jeez, if I read that before entering, I'd run and hide under my bed instead. My favorite part was about remembering to remove pet hair. Clearly that's been a problem in the past.

But there's always next year!  🥲

8 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Oh, jeez, if I read that before entering, I'd run and hide under my bed instead. My favorite part was about remembering to remove pet hair. Clearly that's been a problem in the past.

But there's always next year!  🥲

Yes, I always have to worry about the dog hair.

Seriously, I was concerned about the finishing of my neckline inside.  I adjusted the front neckline to make it lower.  I sewed a reinforcing seam with the sewing machine and then picked up the stitches and then cut away the excess fabric.  I then used overcast stitches to cover up the raw edge.  But it was not perfectly done.   In the Minnesota State Fair that would be marked down.  I did cover the raw edges at the armhole.  The sleeves have a built-in facing called a beleg in Norwegian. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I would be so afraid to take scissors to knitted fabric. You're definitely way more advanced than I'll ever be. I should dig out my flowered sweater and take a photo. It's a combo of intarsia and Swiss darning, and it's very pretty, if embarrassingly simple compared to yours. I bow in your general direction.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I would be so afraid to take scissors to knitted fabric. You're definitely way more advanced than I'll ever be. I should dig out my flowered sweater and take a photo. It's a combo of intarsia and Swiss darning, and it's very pretty, if embarrassingly simple compared to yours. I bow in your general direction.

Oh, I hate intarsia!  I would love to see yours.  Please post a photo.  I admire you for doing that.  As for cutting the fabric, it's really nothing.  It scares people but it doesn't have to.  Try it on a small swatch if you're curious. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Please post a photo.

First I have to find it. May take a while, but I will.

The only sweater I ever designed myself was an intarsia creation for my friend's little girl. It was black with a big red apple (and its worm) and the words "A as in Anna" across the front. I still can't believe I got everything centered. I don't mind if you laugh at me.

18 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

First I have to find it. May take a while, but I will.

The only sweater I ever designed myself was an intarsia creation for my friend's little girl. It was black with a big red apple (and its worm) and the words "A as in Anna" across the front. I still can't believe I got everything centered. I don't mind if you laugh at me.

Laugh?  Never.  That is very impressive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.ravelry.com/designers/harmeet-k-dhillon

https://www.ravelry.com/projects/pnjaban?sort=status&view=thumbnail

I follow Harmeet on twitter just for her sweater updates. She is a lawyer and knitter (won’t post twitter because she is political with some of her cases). If the links work she gives photos of her projects and notes. 

eta the above site is a knitters sharing site you can sign up and join. I don’t knit but I am fascinated with Harmeet so I look at it a lot.

Edited by stewedsquash
17 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

https://www.ravelry.com/designers/harmeet-k-dhillon

https://www.ravelry.com/projects/pnjaban?sort=status&view=thumbnail

I follow Harmeet on twitter just for her sweater updates. She is a lawyer and knitter (won’t post twitter because she is political with some of her cases). If the links work she gives photos of her projects and notes. 

eta the above site is a knitters sharing site you can sign up and join. I don’t knit but I am fascinated with Harmeet so I look at it a lot.

I'm on Ravelry myself.  I'll check this out.   ETA.  She's a great knitter.  Thanks for this post.  I'm a civil rights lawyer too, so we're sisters LOL.   ETA:  Well, maybe not in the law part. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2

Our little guy is FIVE!!!!!  We had our party yesterday and it was a complete success (despite the sugar high).  I'm now contemplating whether to donate half his gifts to a toy drive during the holiday season.  It's just way too much and I can completely understand why another parent requested no gifts for their child's birthday.  I feel badly not bringing anything and am thinking of asking the mom whether there's a preferred charity we can make a donation to in the child's name.

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

I'm now contemplating whether to donate half his gifts to a toy drive during the holiday season.

I think yes, and involve him in it as a "teachable moment".  Five seems an age he could start to understand there are many kids far less fortunate than him, and compassion obliges those of us with more to donate our excess, so he should pick his favorites to enjoy, and then enjoy knowing the other half will be played with by kids who wouldn't have had those toys if not for him.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Our little guy is FIVE!!!!!  We had our party yesterday and it was a complete success (despite the sugar high).  I'm now contemplating whether to donate half his gifts to a toy drive during the holiday season.  It's just way too much and I can completely understand why another parent requested no gifts for their child's birthday.  I feel badly not bringing anything and am thinking of asking the mom whether there's a preferred charity we can make a donation to in the child's name.

If the toys are still brand new (preferably still in their boxes/plastic wrap), find a shelter for abused women (who generally flee with children in tow) - they would love to have toys to give to those (often traumatized) kids when they arrive to make them feel welcome!

• Like 6

I started going back to the Church I went to growing up once or twice a month.  

While today it feels it's not nearly as crowded as it was...  I kinda of like that in a way.  Getting at least a little something of going there once in a while 

• Applause 1
22 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I started going back to the Church I went to growing up once or twice a month.  

While today it feels it's not nearly as crowded as it was...  I kinda of like that in a way.  Getting at least a little something of going there once in a while 

Good for you! Remember if you encounter someone or something that "puts you off" that churches are not hotels for saints, but hospitals for sinners. 😺

• Like 2

I had a nice time reading threads on this board so I'll add something.

When I was in my early 20s I came to New York to go to Parsons School of Design.  I had a painting teacher, I specifically remember his watercolor class.  Anyway he went out of his way to encourage me, and was a really fine painter in his own right.  He painted lovely landscapes set in the Delaware Water Gap, where he would spend his time when not teaching.

The last time I saw him was at one of  his gallery shows.   He passed away at age 53 some years ago.  However I saw his work listed on an email ad from an auction service and it suddenly occurred to me that I could afford to buy one of his works.

A few weeks ago two of his landscapes came up for sale, a large oil and a smaller gouache.  I bid on the gouache.  It was $250 and I won it.  It's now hanging in my apartment.

I feel very happy about having it though in a way a little sad, partly that it only went for $250, but more that he's not around and I'm not in touch with anyone from school to tell about it.  But still am happy about it.   I felt he was a very positive influence on me.

• Like 10
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, roseha said:

I had a nice time reading threads on this board so I'll add something.

When I was in my early 20s I came to New York to go to Parsons School of Design.  I had a painting teacher, I specifically remember his watercolor class.  Anyway he went out of his way to encourage me, and was a really fine painter in his own right.  He painted lovely landscapes set in the Delaware Water Gap, where he would spend his time when not teaching.

The last time I saw him was at one of  his gallery shows.   He passed away at age 53 some years ago.  However I saw his work listed on an email ad from an auction service and it suddenly occurred to me that I could afford to buy one of his works.

A few weeks ago two of his landscapes came up for sale, a large oil and a smaller gouache.  I bid on the gouache.  It was $250 and I won it.  It's now hanging in my apartment.

I feel very happy about having it though in a way a little sad, partly that it only went for $250, but more that he's not around and I'm not in touch with anyone from school to tell about it.  But still am happy about it.   I felt he was a very positive influence on me.

Maybe you can contact the department to let them know.  Or if you’re on social, post a photo of the painting and tag the school. 

• Like 3

I was kind of in a cranky mood already today and driving a bunch of birds pooped on my car.  

Instead of getting crankier about it I kind of laughed thinking that's supposed to be good luck.  Guess it is all about your perspective 

• Like 9

I survived this year.  Historically years ending in 3 were always bad for me.

1993- aah to young to count

2003- my grandmother died, really dealt with my first battle of depression/agoraphobia.  I pretty much failed everything I took in college that fall semester.  I was in dark awful places.

2013- management changes at work stress me out to the max.  As was the first time I ever really felt ghosted by someone I considered a friend.  Depressive/anxiety episodes come back in full swing.  I work off the colic many nights at work I am so anxious.

This year had some down but I was pretty steady over all for 2023.  Historically the years ending in 4 like 2004 & 2014 were sort of my bounce/get back on my feet years so I'll see about next year 

• Like 4
  • Hugs 3

Go me! I actually made progress on (one of) the clutter pile I'd been procrastinating tackling for months. New year, less papers, woooo!

• Like 10

Happy New Year 2024, Everyone! It's  a LEAP Year so we may see a few folks  on February 29th celebrating their birthdays who look about four times older than one would expect!

Well, let's make the year as good as we can and  each try to make our respective corners of the world a little better- regardless of things happening beyond our control!

• Like 13

I'm grateful that my workplace has given me today off and that yesterday, I shopped for meals to eat in as well as brought in my uniform for tomorrow's early shift? Why? Because my area has been hit with a DEEP snow! A headache to be sure (and frozen precip has been useless to me since I graduated high school and could get no more snow days).

HOWEVER, I am in my nice warm home with Mama today , have plenty of good food to eat ....AND since I have my freshly washed uniform (and a lunch) already AT my workplace, if I must snowboot it there early tomorrow morning, at least I won't have to carry any extra stuff! 

• Like 11

Kiddo skated for the first time today!  He fell a lot, but had an amazing time at his first lesson.  And having a friend from school in his section really helped too.   

• Like 8
  • Applause 4
12 hours ago, PRgal said:

Kiddo skated for the first time today!  He fell a lot, but had an amazing time at his first lesson.  And having a friend from school in his section really helped too.   

Are you anywhere near the canal that finally froze enough for people to skate on?  That has to be so much fun, skating along a canal, looking at the changing scenery. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Are you anywhere near the canal that finally froze enough for people to skate on?  That has to be so much fun, skating along a canal, looking at the changing scenery. 

The Rideau Canal?  That's in Ottawa (our country's capital and where my husband is from), a 4 1/2 hour drive from Toronto!

• Useful 4

I'm grateful that temps have FINALLY gotten my locale's week-old snowfall that had long since become slick ice to start MELTING and I was able to open my basement garage door to take the collected garbage and recycle material OUT! For over a week, it had been too cold for the latch to work but now it's warm again! YAY!

Yes, there's still icy slush on the asphalt of my driveway and  in my side street neighborhood and I'm still needing to be cautious driving but it's on the way to being GONE (and hopefully the rain in the next day or so will wash the rest away).

I know that winter's not done with us yet but HOORAY that this particular chapter of it is coming to a close!

• Like 8

I was so grateful to do laundry today, which is a first. We finally got well above freezing and my washer and dryer on are an outside wall, so I always worry about the pipes when it's too cold. It's nice to not have piles of dirty clothes sitting in the hamper. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
15 hours ago, emma675 said:

I was so grateful to do laundry today, which is a first. We finally got well above freezing and my washer and dryer on are an outside wall, so I always worry about the pipes when it's too cold. It's nice to not have piles of dirty clothes sitting in the hamper. 

Wait, don’t you want to have water running through the pipes when it’s so cold, to make them less likely to freeze? You probably explained that earlier and I missed it. 

On topic, I’m grateful that I live where the danger of frozen pipes is fairly rare. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Wait, don’t you want to have water running through the pipes when it’s so cold, to make them less likely to freeze? You probably explained that earlier and I missed it. 

On topic, I’m grateful that I live where the danger of frozen pipes is fairly rare. 

I don't want hot water flowing through cold pipes that are on an outside wall and aren't getting much radiant heat from the house. I do keep the faucets dripping water 24/7 when it gets into the teens and 20s to help prevent them from freezing. I think when my pier and beam house was built in 1941, Dallas didn't get such extreme winters. A lot of my neighbors have installed foundation heaters and fans to prevent their pipes from freezing but I haven't gone that far yet.

• Like 3

I am grateful to have running water again after 10 days of lugging jugs of water around!  Pipes froze up Sat 1/13 and I finally got the well pump repaired and water flowing again yesterday. That first shower was heavenly!! Then a laundry and clean clothes!!

All the pump people were inundated with repair calls for about a week, so it took a long time to get to me. Our temps were sub zero for almost a week. Lows in the -30°'s and highs in the -20° to  -15. Factoring in wind chill some days were -45° or a bit higher. At least we only had about 3" snow.

What a blessing to be able to open the tap and water comes out again!!

• Like 13
  • Applause 3

I read my book to my son's kindergarten class!  The children were behaving like, well, 5 year olds, talking over each other, but in general, were paying attention (the teacher had to tell them to "crisscross applesauce" a few times and to put their hands up if they have any comments...at the end of the story).  Even kids who only celebrated December 31 could relate, as did kids who celebrated other cultural holidays - whether it's New Year or not.  My dad said it would only be relatable to kids from families like mine and boy was he WRONG!

• Like 1
  • Applause 12
On 2/7/2024 at 7:29 PM, PRgal said:

I read my book to my son's kindergarten class!  The children were behaving like, well, 5 year olds, talking over each other, but in general, were paying attention (the teacher had to tell them to "crisscross applesauce" a few times and to put their hands up if they have any comments...at the end of the story).  Even kids who only celebrated December 31 could relate, as did kids who celebrated other cultural holidays - whether it's New Year or not.  My dad said it would only be relatable to kids from families like mine and boy was he WRONG!

That's GREAT news! It's always refreshing when one is able to help young ones expand their horizons to think outside their boxes and have curiosity about different traditions and cultures!

• Like 3
(edited)

It's probably in my some of my past posts here but I had a friend irl I stopped talking to a while because I thought he liked to bring up politics too much.

I got back in touch with him recently and I think it hit me more I just needed a break from him more than anything.  Not anything political related.

It's cool I patched things up with him.  

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 7

I was in Church today when a small child in front of me threw up right on the guy sitting next to me.

I try to be grateful because if this man didn't come in to sit in my pue yeah there's a good chance I would have been the target of this little guy 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1

I read my book to students at my alma mater today.  I'm not sure if it's because they're all girls or if they're two years older (I read to Grade 2) or both, but unlike the Senior Kindergarten kids I read to when I read at my son's school, the kids mostly sat still and waited until the end to ask questions or make comments!  And their questions were good, including how books are written and why I decided to write the book.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Here in Oz, I live in a place where I can see the stars. Tonight was the first night where I could see Orion and the Southern Cross. The Cross is a lot further east, I'm used to seeing it in the early morning before the sun comes up. Orion was pretty far west, but it was still within sight.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

In breaking news, Dana White has just confessed that the UFC is entirely fake! As a follow-up, Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson admits that professional wrestling is actually real. Source.

• LOL 2