Type keyword(s) to search

Happy Place: Gratefulness And Smiles

• Start Topic

(edited)

Last day of a working three-day weekend then I'll be OFF tomorrow while nearly everyone else is scrambling to get back to work mode! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 4

Grateful that my little guy is settling into preschool!  For some reason, he doesn't like to talk about his school day, but he's doing well, perhaps even a little bit ahead "academically" (as in he already knows his letters and numbers to 10) than some of the kids.  Yes, these kids are learning letters in class, including how to print them.  He just needs to build up his confidence.  It can be tough when you're one of the tiniest kids in the room!  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

This is a little late to post, but I am really happy that autumn is finally here. I don't like summer and warm weather, so I finally feel like I can breathe again.

To be honest I'm a spring and summer gal, but I do think there's something special about fall. I associate it more with the start of something new since so much stuff starts back up, and it is a beautiful and cozy season. 

It will be harder for me to be grateful and smile during winter. lol I'll just have to work harder to make sure my life is going better. 

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

To be honest I'm a spring and summer gal, but I do think there's something special about fall. I associate it more with the start of something new since so much stuff starts back up, and it is a beautiful and cozy season. 

It will be harder for me to be grateful and smile during winter. lol I'll just have to work harder to make sure my life is going better. 

I love the smells of fall.  Plus the cooler weather means beginnings of stew season, apples, pumpkins, Thanksgiving, Halloween (okay, I'm not that big on candy or nor have I dressed up since undergrad, but still...and despite not taking my son out trick or treating this year (we just aren't ready..THANKS, PANDEMIC!!!) and not to mention, the leaves and air!  Oh, and then cozy sweaters (but that's more winter).....different strokes for different folks!  

• Love 4

I'm grateful for the cats in my neighborhood, who make me feel useful by eating the food I leave out for them during the day (at night other animals ate it all and went through it so fast it was getting expensive).  Of course, the one cat that actually likes me (so long as I'm not yelling at him when he tries to start a fight if another cat is around at the same time) isn't a stray and probably can get food at home, but he seems to need attention and will meow at the door.  One of the actual strays is becoming a little less wary around me, and the other one isn't afraid at all but has made it clear they aren't particularly interested in me (or my indoor cat).  That one appears to have had a rough time though, so I'm glad to help if I can.

I'm also grateful that Entertainment Tonight got through an entire interview with Scott Speedman without asking if there would be a Felicity reboot.  This is seemingly the first time in about ten years they have not asked an actor from a previous long-running show about a reboot, and I'm not in the mood at all, so this cheered me a bit.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 10/15/2021 at 5:41 AM, KWalkerInc said:

I'm also grateful that Entertainment Tonight got through an entire interview with Scott Speedman without asking if there would be a Felicity reboot.  This is seemingly the first time in about ten years they have not asked an actor from a previous long-running show about a reboot, and I'm not in the mood at all, so this cheered me a bit.

What happened to him, anyway?  

My son turned 3 yesterday!  He has a well toddler/child check-up next week and unlike the past, he's passed his milestones based on the pre-visit survey I had to fill in.  YAY!!! 

• Love 7
14 hours ago, PRgal said:

What happened to him, anyway?  

He's now on Grey's Anatomy and You, and luckily they had enough of an interview talking about those things that they didn't go with the reboot question.  I'm not sure if he'd done anything in a while before this.

I had a very nice experience today. I occasionally donate to a human rights organization and today I got a phone call from one of their employees saying that they saw my latest payment and wanted to thank me in person. I was quite shocked, so all I managed to say that I thank them for the work that they do. I often feel a bit guilty that all I do is sign petitions and sometimes send a donation and feel like I should be more involved, but I could never do that. I get already quite upset just reading the news about all the injustices in the world, I don't think I would be able to actively engage with fighting it. I don't know how activists do it, but I admire them for it. So it was very nice to hear that they also value the little stuff the rest of us do, especially since it's been a rather depressing time lately and this has been a bit of positivity in that.

• Love 11

I have realized I have really wonderful neighbors - a family who are always happy to chat and remarkably upbeat. I helped them hang some Xmas lights the other day and it was just so nice.

It's amazing how rare casual kindness/friendliness is. When you find it though it's like being able to exhale. Very life affirming. 

• Love 9

I'm grateful for classic comedy - doing some food prep before I head to my sister's home and in the midst of my annual tradition of watching the Thanksgiving episode of The Bob Newhart Show where Bob, Jerry, Howard and Mr. Carlin all get drunk and order tons of Chinese food and the funniest episode of network TV ever, the "as God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly" episode of WKRP

• Love 10

Still grateful for the first snow each year. This one started falling yesterday afternoon, and here's what it looks like today:

Sorry, I can't get it sized properly. Maybe I'll try again later. It really is pretty.

1st snowfall 2021 resized.png

Edited by Mondrianyone
stupid resizing!
  • Love 16

After a certain time of not having a job due to resigning from my position of X number of years, I've gotten a new job! No, it doesn't pay as much as the old one did and I'll have to squeeze the piggy bank for some pretty pennies re my health coverage until the new one kicks in.

However, despite there being tasks, protocols,etc. I'm not entirely crazy about, it IS a new job AND so far it has proven to be somewhat less stressful than my previous one. Some monies coming in is better than NONE. 

• Love 14

I recently placed an order an was sent the wrong items.  I now get to keep the wrong items .  $142 worth of products I might actually like, plus a gwp travel size blush (full size reg. retail $32.)

At first I was annoyed at the mistake, but now I am really, really excited.  :)

• Love 3

Long-short is that I had resigned my hospital clinic position late last year then found a good job in retail which I liked but I was having to pay huge monies to keep my former insurance coverage. Recently, I resumed working in my former hospital in another clinic (with better hours,etc.) and after some weeks I was FINALLY able to resume the hospital employee insurance that takes X$ out of my pay but far less X$$ than what I'd been paying for months. Oh, I get along great with the management and fellow employees of this clinic (and   pays more than the retail job did). So ALL these things are causes for gratitude and happiness!

• Love 9

I got my 2nd Booster (and 4th COVID vaccine) earlier this week. Not only am I relieved to have gotten it but, even better, the soreness in my arm went away in two days this time instead an entire week like the time before! 

• Love 10

I got a new washing machine.  The old one was 45 years old (I know because the last time I had it repaired, I found the invoice dated December 1976 in the back of the instructions booklet) and the drum had finally started to rust through. 

I don't have to take the quilt to the laundromat anymore, and I can wash three heavy sweatshirts in one load.  This is going to take some getting used to!

• Love 7
On 4/26/2022 at 3:03 PM, EighteenTwelve said:

I got a new washing machine.  The old one was 45 years old (I know because the last time I had it repaired, I found the invoice dated December 1976 in the back of the instructions booklet) and the drum had finally started to rust through. 

I don't have to take the quilt to the laundromat anymore, and I can wash three heavy sweatshirts in one load.  This is going to take some getting used to!

Wow an appliance that lasted 44 years - what a nice rarity.

our oldest appliance is a food processor we got for our wedding in 1995. Works awesome but the plastic is yellowing.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 4/15/2022 at 5:16 AM, Blergh said:

I got my 2nd Booster (and 4th COVID vaccine) earlier this week. Not only am I relieved to have gotten it but, even better, the soreness in my arm went away in two days this time instead an entire week like the time before! 

May I ask if you had any other reactions? I have had one booster (Moderna), and it made me feel like hell for several hours. I suspect it may be because I may have had a mild case of covid a month earlier but not sure. I know a bunch of people who just had covid, so I'm thinking of getting the 2nd booster in a couple months since it's not over yet, but not sure yet. 

Even though covid is still something we're living with, I'm grateful for the vaccines and how much more normal life continues to get. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Even though covid is still something we're living with, I'm grateful for the vaccines and how much more normal life continues to get. 

Same. My family and I got COVID last month, but thanks to our being fully vaccinated, it just felt more like a really crappy cold that we were all stuck with for a few days. Still not fun, no, but compared to the alternative, well... 

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Same. My family and I got COVID last month, but thanks to our being fully vaccinated, it just felt more like a really crappy cold that we were all stuck with for a few days. Still not fun, no, but compared to the alternative, well... 

I'm so glad you're all okay. ♥️

• Love 4
On 5/10/2022 at 10:38 AM, RealHousewife said:

May I ask if you had any other reactions? I have had one booster (Moderna), and it made me feel like hell for several hours. I suspect it may be because I may have had a mild case of covid a month earlier but not sure. I know a bunch of people who just had covid, so I'm thinking of getting the 2nd booster in a couple months since it's not over yet, but not sure yet. 

Nah, just the sore arm!

• Love 1

I chipped one of my lower right molars on Monday night (it's true, you really probably shouldn't eat half-popped popcorn kernels) and took a sizable piece of enamel off.  But it was wide rather than deep, so it doesn't hurt.  And I work for a dental school, so I could have gotten it fixed yesterday if I hadn't been working from home.  I'm getting it fixed this afternoon.

• Love 6

My car became undriveable over two weeks ago and I'd been trying to find somewhere that would just LOOK at it but kept being told that all their lots were full and they were slammed. Well, over the weekend, I FINALLY found a place to have my car checked out! HOORAY!

That's the good news!

The annoying news is that my appointment with them isn't until the end of the month but this was ALL I could get- no joke!

• Hugs 1
  • Love 3

The elementary school put Little Libraries into all the major neighborhood communities that feed into the school at the beginning of last school year.  Recently, I had my kids cull some of their books they no longer needed.  When I placed them in the library, it was obvious it hadn’t been used at all this year.  I placed our books inside and then posted about it on the community message board.  Today, we went to drop off more books.  All our previous books were gone!  And somebody had sanded the warped door so that it will now close!  :)

• Like 3
  • Love 5

Husband had a fun Father's Day with the little guy.  There was a fancy car exhibit near us and they went there.  I met up with them after and we had ice cream.  Mmmmmm....white chocolate raspberry.  So far, the kid isn't on a sugar high...maybe we just lucked out?  heh...

• Love 4

I'm grateful that gas prices in my area have started to go down AND I'm grateful to have somewhat less stressful job than before.  Currently, I'm grateful for the fact that I get to work indoors and only have to put myself out in this horrible heat going to/from the parking garage to my workplace! This is one time my enjoyment of the great outdoors comes via looking out windows!

• Love 2