Type keyword(s) to search

2016 Tryouts and Training Camp Spoilers and Spoiled Speculations

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, caligirl50 said:

Did you see how crowded that class was in the photo?  Damn.  Ms. Kitty does a heck of a business.

Is Miss Kitty really that great as a dance teacher?  Or is it the show made her bigger than she is?  Dunno

I think kitty was meaning foreign = Japan, which is a foreign country. Not hateful racist, but not quite 2016 acceptable either.  I don't recall her ever calling Angela or Jinelle foreign. kitty should know better.

• Love 2

I agree as well.  Recently someone corrected me and said "world language" where I had said "foreign language".  Please.

Sam is a cute girl and I think she would be even cuter with bangs.  Kelli looks better with bangs also.  They are two of the very few who look better with bangs to frame their face which takes away the harsh appearance of a prominent forehead.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

I agree as well.  Recently someone corrected me and said "world language" where I had said "foreign language".  Please.

That's just ridiculous.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, caligirl50 said:

Did you see how crowded that class was in the photo?  Damn.  Ms. Kitty does a heck of a business.

The photo that LaurenBrook posted?  If so, that's Michelle Keys' class not Kitty's.

They should show how the girls get ready for tryouts. Between prep classes, hair and make up, final solos, getting in shape, etc. etc. I mean the show is called DCC Making the Team. I think preparing for finals including the vets getting ready for finals should be part of making the team.

I'm really not sure if this has been answered, but I heard that girls used to get an automatic bid to semis. Does that still happen? Besides Sydney, is there anyone else notable that did it? And would a girl with pre- exposure (Yuko, etc.) get it, or are those girls unknown to us?

I know it sounds like I'm rambling haha, but I have no idea how that part of the process works.

10 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

SMU, TCU, and Baylor are some of the biggest schools in texas. You see a lot of DCC cheerleader hopefuls come from SMU or TCU though.

Not sure what you meant to say but SMU, TCU, and Baylor are all relatively small private schools.

(edited)
11 minutes ago, GAgirl said:

I'm really not sure if this has been answered, but I heard that girls used to get an automatic bid to semis. Does that still happen? Besides Sydney, is there anyone else notable that did it? And would a girl with pre- exposure (Yuko, etc.) get it, or are those girls unknown to us?

I know it sounds like I'm rambling haha, but I have no idea how that part of the process works.

I think Kelsi Reich was recruited and skipped the open auditions, but I'm not sure who else. I believe the DCC have recruiters who go to dance competitions to seek desirable dancers out, notably former DCC Shelly Bramhall (she might be the only "recruiter", I really don't know). I know this was a thing in the past but I have no idea if it's still a thing. I would assume it probably is.

Edited by Oranaiche

I believe the DCC have recruiters who go to dance competitions to seek desirable dancers out

Here an article from 2012 about a former DCC who was (and maybe still is) "lead recruiter for the squad". Here's what she had to say about recruiting:

"To recruit, I rely on a network of contacts—from dance studio owners to university dance team directors—that I’ve made over the years. I find myself speaking to accomplished women from all over the country. This year we had women trying out from Maine, Hawaii, and lots of places in between—not to mention from several other countries too.

Before tryouts even begin, I try to really get to know our applicants. We know they look good and can dance, but my job is to talk with their coaches and directors and to encourage those who I believe are the best fit for our team."

She was also one of Judy's assistant choreographers. I wonder how many assistants Judy has had over the years.

12 minutes ago, sleepyjean said:

Here an article from 2012 about a former DCC who was (and maybe still is) "lead recruiter for the squad". Here's what she had to say about recruiting:

"To recruit, I rely on a network of contacts—from dance studio owners to university dance team directors—that I’ve made over the years. I find myself speaking to accomplished women from all over the country. This year we had women trying out from Maine, Hawaii, and lots of places in between—not to mention from several other countries too.

Before tryouts even begin, I try to really get to know our applicants. We know they look good and can dance, but my job is to talk with their coaches and directors and to encourage those who I believe are the best fit for our team."

She was also one of Judy's assistant choreographers. I wonder how many assistants Judy has had over the years.

Ah, I was thinking it was Shelly Bramhall who recruited, not Shelly Roper-McCaslin. Maybe they both do, who knows. Shelly Bramhall has been as associate chroreogeapher for the DCC for many years, but I'm not sure what else she does.

On 4/24/2016 at 1:26 PM, Smplsimon said:

I hope we've seen the last of Auto Amy.  Those short little legs will never be good enough for the kick line, and you can tell she's a total bitch with the way she reacted to not making it last year.

Wow. I actually find her to be very poised, well-spoken and friendly. None of us is at our best when we have a dream crushed.

3 hours ago, Oranaiche said:

Ah, I was thinking it was Shelly Bramhall who recruited, not Shelly Roper-McCaslin. Maybe they both do, who knows. Shelly Bramhall has been as associate chroreogeapher for the DCC for many years, but I'm not sure what else she does.

4 hours ago, GAgirl said:

Some of the girls McCaslin brings in will get a bye from prelims, usually because she recruited them and it's their prom, graduation or whatever  (Kaitlyn Larae for example) Shelly travels for dance competitions, she starts recruiting these girls a few years before we see them!

2 minutes ago, GingerJ said:

Some of the girls McCaslin brings in will get a bye from prelims, usually because she recruited them and it's their prom, graduation or whatever  (Kaitlyn Larae for example) Shelly travels for dance competitions, she starts recruiting these girls a few years before we see them!

Kaitlyn LaRae as in pretty blonde told not to tan but tanned anyway Kaitlyn? The one many of us can't understand why she made the team?  I guess that explains it some if she was recruited. 

I like Auto Amy, but I think she's just one of those people who doesn't have what it takes, and no amount of training will get her there.  I almost hope she doesn't come back, because it will be getting Vivian or Karissa level of desperate soon...

• Love 1

It makes sense to have a recruiter..I think that's something that probably continues to this day. Alot of teams have people who "scout" or have their eye on certain people who may fit the bill

13 hours ago, cashandprizes said:

Not sure what you meant to say but SMU, TCU, and Baylor are all relatively small private schools.

I meant big as in a lot of people from the cowboys cheerleaders have gone there. I know we have a couple of Baylor grads on the football team. I definitely didn't mean big as in large schools lol. I watch fixer upper and they're always talking about Baylor.

Kaitlin LeRae or Kaitlin LeGrande? The latter I can definitely understand lol

I like Auto Amy.  I think she really does have RBF and isn't actually a brat. I think she'd be a great teammate and put everything into it BUT as we've said, she is a Rachel Buckmaster or Taylor Traxxis type - sometimes you are just not cut out for it.  I dont think Amy is trying out again though. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, sleepyjean said:

I saw on Whitney Robertson's social media (private, so I can't link) that she is planning to audition again this year. She's made finals a few times, so maybe this will be her year to go to training camp. 

http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2013/04/01/you-be-judge-whitney

http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2014/04/13/you-be-judge-whitney

http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2015/04/10/dcc-whitney-r

She's cute! Definitely has improved over the years and while she is not AMAZING she is certainly as good (at least in that choreography) as other girls they have taken to camp (Carla cough cough). Great kicks. 

She definitely doesn't attack the choreography in the first two, seems like she's just going through the motions. Not much better in the third either. Hopefully she learns she needs to hit it harder.

2 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

She definitely doesn't attack the choreography in the first two, seems like she's just going through the motions. Not much better in the third either. Hopefully she learns she needs to hit it harder.

I agree.  Her 4th time auditioning for the DCC. She always make the finals  (fan vote) but never TC. Reminds me of Miranda Parker. I know she was a TLD for a season  and an AAIA finalist last year. She might have auditioned for the Mavs too. .

(edited)

I'm always curious how much Baylor and/or the city of Waco pay Chip and JoAnna, because they've done more the city than anyone ever has. Waco has its good spots, but sheesh.

Couple reasons I think quite a bit of DCC come from Baylor, SMU and TCU: they're all small, private universities with an affluent student base. If you can afford that school, you can also likely afford the extras like extensive dance classes, costumes, etc. I graduated from two of the three, one with a fashion undergrad, and being DCC performance ready is an every day standard of appearance. Sigh. Secondly, SMU and TCU are both in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. Valley Ranch is in Irving, which is slightly closer to Dallas but still between the two. It's a lot easier for a college student attending either university to make it there.

I'm curious if they'll be moving to Frisco with the rest of the office, tho, bc that northbound commute is killer. I anticipate lots more footage about how 635/121/Tollway traffic was terrible, and we always get at least one a season.

There are plenty of other DFW area schools for a DCC student to attend too. The other "brand name" Texas universities are UT Austin, A&M, and Texas Tech. UT and A&M in particular are very competitive, especially with automatic acceptance for the top 10% of students. In a tough school district, students below the line have to slug it out for acceptance. Samantha Finglass might be an academic rock star, but if she's in a school like TAG where everyone is a rock star but she didn't make the 10%, it's very possible she could have been accepted at an Ivy League and not a Texas school. Weird, but it happens. Anyhoot - I don't see her as a DCC, but no telling what she'll look like at 22. Plenty of gals get through college and try out, and I think that life experience is super valuable. The baby face DCC squick me out anyway ;)

Sorry for the formatting and lack of page breaks!! I've tried to edit but the page isn't loading correctly on my phone, Chrome or IE. Yikes.

Edited by kalibean
  • Love 1

I think they are moving to Frisco, I'm interested to see how that plays out this season as well. I know they packed up Valley Ranch and gave the former DCCs those large photos of them. I don't remember if we got a peak at the new cheerleading facilities at The Star or not though. 

Why is the organization moving TC from Valley Ranch?  (And where is Vally Ranch? I can't remember). How far away are the new facilities? Are there DCC Vet apartments there?

1 hour ago, heatherrrrz said:

I think they are moving to Frisco, I'm interested to see how that plays out this season as well. I know they packed up Valley Ranch and gave the former DCCs those large photos of them. I don't remember if we got a peak at the new cheerleading facilities at The Star or not though. 

$75 per life size poster was the price.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, cashandprizes said:

Wow. I guess a money maker is a money maker, but what else are they going to do with all that stuff? I can see selling uniforms, poms, generic stuff, but things like their personlized locker name plates, poster, etc., just give them to the girls. 

• Love 2

Is there such a thing as DCC vet apartments? I always got the feeling that the scene in season 4 or 5 (can't remember) where all the vets practice at the pool together was somewhat staged and that they didn't ALL live there. There have been plenty of scenes  of different girls living in different places so I didn't realize there was a designated place.

1 hour ago, Kaedee said:

Why is the organization moving TC from Valley Ranch?  (And where is Vally Ranch? I can't remember). How far away are the new facilities? Are there DCC Vet apartments there?

It's a real estate development play. Valley Ranch is in Irving and the new facilities are in Frisco about forty miles north of Cowboys Stadium.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, cashandprizes said:

I thought they gave them, wow. How'd you find that out?

14 hours ago, Oranaiche said:

Is there such a thing as DCC vet apartments? I always got the feeling that the scene in season 4 or 5 (can't remember) where all the vets practice at the pool together was somewhat staged and that they didn't ALL live there. There have been plenty of scenes  of different girls living in different places so I didn't realize there was a designated place.

Lol no.

I think a lot of friends, classmates, coworkers staring out, etc just gravitate toward similar housing sometimes. If that complex was close to facilitates and affordable, it's a place to know your neighbors, etc. But seriously, they pay these girls next to nothing. They're not going to provide housing.

I kind of thought that there was DCC "housing" in the way that the girls would share info on where there were nice apartments that had flexible leases that weren't too outrageously expensive (since most short term leases penalize you with exorbitant rents).  And they'd need the short term lease during training camp.

• Love 2