Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: Under Water

I know teens are older looking these days than from when I went to high school ages ago, but this Nick guy looks at least 25! They seriously couldn't find someone a little younger looking? But that's just my nitpick.

I quite enjoyed this ep,even though I felt terrible for Stef. I really thought Callie was going to apologize  about being a little snippy/ argumentative with her after they all found out about the illness.I just thought she would feel bad about how she talked to her.

Jesus' birth father storyline just got a little more interesting with the reveal at the end. And I'm am liking this actor a whole hell of a lot more than the first Jesus. The kid definitely has a bit more range at least.

I am not into this Jack storyline. Kid bugs.Go away.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 4
I know teens are older looking these days than from when I went to high school ages ago, but this Nick guy looks at least 25! They seriously couldn't find someone a little younger looking? But that's just my nitpick.

Seriously. I texted my best friend who usually starts the episode later than I do and she asked me if I liked the episode.....and I said yes, but then clarified "Except for Jesus's new 35 year old friend."

When he talked about being a junior, I thought "Yeah, maybe like ten years ago."

Anyway, I don't know where they are going with this Jack storyline. Seems like they left it up in the air for now.

Loved Stef and Lena talking about stuff. So refreshing. Although Stef was holding back a bit and Lena started personal issues with Monte again so it seemed like they were falling back into old habits, but their talk reassured me.]

However, Sharon was throwing some major shade at Lena in the beginning of the episode. 

So, Brandon's LI has a kid. Snooze. I've accepted the fact that Brandon will never be interesting to me. Ever. 

I didn't expect the Gabriel twist. Not sure how to feel about it, but I guess we'll see.....

• Love 3

First of all, I am so glad that Callie immediately figured out it was Judes weird friend who was catfishing her, and not Jude. So, why was Jack catfishing Callie again?

I am actually pretty interested in the Jesus and his dad stuff. His friend though, not so interested. Plus, as everyone has pointed out already, the dude looks like he should be a teacher at their school, not a student. Yeah your 17 dude. In that, you were 17 at some point, but are now clearly in your 30s.  

Stef and Lena finally talk, about talk to the kids, at last. When they are both willing to communicate, they have such a great relationship. Even with Lena and whats her name still having their weird tension. I swear, this cancer storyline better not drive a wedge between them.  

• Love 1

First of all, I am so glad that Callie immediately figured out it was Judes weird friend who was catfishing her, and not Jude. So, why was Jack catfishing Callie again?

He didn't really say, but I don't think he meant to.  He called her Super Callie and when she mistook that as a signal from AJ, he just sort of rolled with it. Maybe it just felt good that she responded to his message he didn't want to contradict her? He said he was going to actually talk to her at that cafe, maybe to tell the truth?

• Love 1
I texted my best friend who usually starts the episode later than I do and she asked me if I liked the episode.....and I said yes, but then clarified "Except for Jesus's new 35 year old friend." 

Ha, that's right!  And I don't trust that guy, it can't end well with him dating or trying to date Marianna.

• Love 1

Hah, I guess one of the benefits of watching this show while doing something else is that I don't notice that much how old the actors look! 

Interesting development with Jesus and Gabriel. The show needs to be really careful with that storyline though. Was it Jesus specifically who was the victim (before he can remember, obviously)? 

I don't think Jack has any sort of hidden agenda or is being super sneaky the way it was suggesting he might be. I mean, using the same excuse/explanation doesn't mean it's not genuine; in fact, given that the base of it is obviously true, I think it's pretty natural that he'd give the same excuse for two bad bits of behavior at the same time in his life. And if he were that sneaky, he'd remember that Marianna would hear it both times. That said, I think he's probably not a very dependable person. If Marianna starts dating him, I think he'll probably end up letting her down. 

What happened with Monte and the tweet about her and Lena?  I thought I heard Lena ask Monte if she had tweeted it, and heard Monte say no, but why did Lena think that might have happened?  Because Monte mentioned outing a teacher's affair when she was in school?

Jude's friend said what happened is that he said: "you look super, Callie!" -- so the original "catfishing" was a total misunderstanding. he honestly was not trying to impersonate AJ, and Callie took it that way because of AJ's "SuperCallie" hero stuff. And after that he felt so bad about the confusion that it took him a few beats to figure out how to get out of it. I buy it, because he really does seem to be socially awkward at a level where it seems more medical than willful. Look who weird he was with Jude until Jude confronted him, and then they cleared it up. Same thing happened with Callie-- she confronted him and he explained himself. He said he had tried to meet her at the cafe but she was talking to the guy from the drop in center and then she hightailed it out of there before he could approach her. I'm inclined to believe him.

It occurs to me that now that Jude and Callie are settled in, the show is bringing in other kids so they can continue to showcase the foster and adoption system dysfunctions. Jude and Callie are basically normal, well-adjusted teenagers now. So the show becomes just another generic family drama and not a show about adoption anymore, unless they can bring in messed up kids from other places.

• Love 1

I knew Stef was feeling insecure about talking to Lena because of all that Monte stuff. She was afraid Lena might not want her anymore. And Lena didnt help talking about her body. I'm glad everything is solved now. 

Edited by Cassandre

Is Brandon even allowed to be behind the bar like that, even if he is only helping with inventory? And, what is with teen shows constantly pairing teenaged boys with (seemingly) well-balanced, beautiful women in their 20s? Is this something that happens in real life? Because I don't remember this from my 20s. If anything, my friends and I tended to find guys our own age to be childish enough, and might have been attracted to slightly older guys, not high school boys.

And, BTW, I feel bad for Stef, but her level of self-righteousness seemingly has no ceiling. If you're in a life-threatening situation and you've decided to give your power-of-attorney to someone other than your spouse, you'd better have a damned good reason and be willing and able to explain it to your spouse before you talk to anybody else. And yes, that includes your mama!

• Love 3

I didn't expect the Gabriel twist. Not sure how to feel about it, but I guess we'll see.....

Why do I have the feeling that this twist is probably because Gabriel was dating their mom when she was a teenager and the parents had him arrested under statutory rape charges in an attempt to keep them apart because of all their drug use?  If it is a bad touch storyline, hopefully they don't mess it up.  At first when he said he had to stay away from them for legal reasons, I initially thought that maybe he tried to find them and Stef used her police powers to threaten him to stay away.  I can totally see her doing that.  

Don't give two shits about Brandon and his, "I need to date you to get over my ex" nonsense.  Shut up Brandon.

• Love 2

Why do I have the feeling that this twist is probably because Gabriel was dating their mom when she was a teenager and the parents had him arrested under statutory rape charges in an attempt to keep them apart because of all their drug use?  If it is a bad touch storyline, hopefully they don't mess it up.  At first when he said he had to stay away from them for legal reasons, I initially thought that maybe he tried to find them and Stef used her police powers to threaten him to stay away.  I can totally see her doing that.  

Don't give two shits about Brandon and his, "I need to date you to get over my ex" nonsense.  Shut up Brandon.

I got that feeling too. Like maybe he was technically legal, and she was technically illegal, like 18 and 17, but they were boyfriend/girlfriend. When Ana's parents found out their "baby" was having sex, they went ballistic, broke up the couple, went the legal route to keep boyfriend away,etc.

Pure speculation on my part. I'm looking forward to seeing how close to or far off the mark this is. We'll see next week!

Edited by TVForever
  • Love 1

I thought about that, but the dates don't match up. I think it said 1997, and the twins aren't even 16 yet, making their birth year 2000 I guess? Actually, I don't even know since in show time, it's only been a year that Callie and Jude have been with the Fosters which gives me whiplash, but '97 would make them 19 or 18 turning 19. 

I suppose maybe Gabriel did some time and then reconnected with Ana when she was a few years older and then she got pregnant with the twins? *shrug*

I'm really pleased that the show didn't gloss over Stef betraying Callie's trust by using the info to locate and arrest AJ. Really liked the scene where Callie made it clear to Stef that she had broken her hard-earned trust.

Loved all of the Stef/Lena scenes. Stef giving her Power of Attorney to Sharon was huge and really showed how she is still not over the Monte betrayal. I think that the show messed up Power of Attorney and Healthcare Directive because it was mentioned specifically about pulling the plug, which would likely be the latter. Loved the scene with the kids and the closing montage with each of the kids either thinking about Stef or reacting to the news.

The Jesus/Gabe twist is interesting. Looking forward to seeing where it goes. Curious to see if Ana is aware of the sex offender status. Very pleased that Jesus has a storyline which does not involve his dating life.

Can't believe how wrong the show got the casting of Nick. The actor looks as if he is 30 years old, which throws off the whole storyline.

We need Rita to come in and save Callie from the potentially evil -- and clearly shady - foster care lady.

• Love 4

It was so nice to see Steph and Lena reconnect in a fun, sexy way. I'm not really liking this cancer story because for me there's nothing new in them but the two of them going skinny dipping felt like classic Steph/Lena.

I hate watching Callie fall for Justina's bullshit. Callie has absolutely no skills at reading people. It makes sense given her history but it is so frustrating to watch her be made a fool of repeatedly.

I feel like the actor playing Jesus is slowly making the part his own and I'm glad they got him away from girlfriend drama.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 1

Nick looks so much like Brandon Walsh to me (who was also too old for high school, but at least he was surrounded by others in the same boat) and that's all I see when I look at him. I'm suspicious of the way he keeps pushing Jesus to hang out with Gabe. Definitely thinking there's a hidden ulterior motive there.

Was Mariana suspended for selling Jesus' meds a few seasons ago? If so, I'm surprised she'd be allowed to chair the honor board. Also, was there a faculty member at that hearing? It seems strange to leave all the power to the students, without getting final approval from an adult.

• Love 2

First of all, I am so glad that Callie immediately figured out it was Judes weird friend who was catfishing her, and not Jude. 

Agreed.

I'm really pleased that the show didn't gloss over Stef betraying Callie's trust by using the info to locate and arrest AJ. Really liked the scene where Callie made it clear to Stef that she had broken her hard-earned trust.

Loved all of the Stef/Lena scenes. Stef giving her Power of Attorney to Sharon was huge and really showed how she is still not over the Monte betrayal. I think that the show messed up Power of Attorney and Healthcare Directive because it was mentioned specifically about pulling the plug, which would likely be the latter. Loved the scene with the kids and the closing montage with each of the kids either thinking about Stef or reacting to the news.

The Jesus/Gabe twist is interesting. Looking forward to seeing where it goes. Curious to see if Ana is aware of the sex offender status. Very pleased that Jesus has a storyline which does not involve his dating life.

Can't believe how wrong the show got the casting of Nick. The actor looks as if he is 30 years old, which throws off the whole storyline.

We need Rita to come in and save Callie from the potentially evil -- and clearly shady - foster care lady.

Yes to all of this.

Rita

is in the next two episodes.

Was Mariana suspended for selling Jesus' meds a few seasons ago? If so, I'm surprised she'd be allowed to chair the honor board. Also, was there a faculty member at that hearing? It seems strange to leave all the power to the students, without getting final approval from an adult.

Yes, she did end up serving a suspension from school, during 01x14. 

• Love 1

I really disliked Mariana for most of this episode.  In particular, all of her interactions with Nick were extremely cliche/stereotypical.  Meanwhile, she is not more mature then her age, and two fifteen year old boys goofing around is age-appropriate, so shut up.  Though it doesn't help that Nick's actor is way too old for the part, which is oddly appropriate since the character does seem ripped right out of some 90's teen show.  But I thought The Fosters was better then parading teen stereotypes like 'the dumb jock.' 

This is another huge red flag that Callie no longer has any control over her own website at all, it's being moderated to censor anyone who speaks out against the corporation that woman works for. It really is bizarre that Callie would honestly let them completely recode/design the site without her involvement.

That last scene with Jack didn't feel very authentic, he didn't act like someone who's arm was just broken twelve hours before.  There could be multiple explanations for that, but it makes me wonder if he's actually being manipulated/used by the website lady somehow. It's a little too convenient that of course, the decided not to tell Stef and report the group home.  In any case, I hope things do improve for Jack.  Too many side characters (wyatt, connor...) are just left in really bad home situations. 

The storyline with Heysuess' father is getting really interesting, and dark.   I got caught up in doing the math while reading the screen, but also trying to remember that on the show it's not 2016, it's still 2013 or 2014. 

I'm really glad that Stef and Lena got their beautiful ending to this episode.  I kept expecting that Stef was going to ask Lena to tell Monte to resign from her job after all, but I'm sure Monte's days are numbered anyway.   

Edited by Glade
  • Love 1

I really disliked Mariana for most of this episode.  In particular, all of her interactions with Nick were extremely cliche/stereotypical.  Meanwhile, she is not more mature then her age, and two fifteen year old boys goofing around is age-appropriate, so shut up.  Though it doesn't help that Nick's actor is way too old for the part, which is oddly appropriate since the character does seem ripped right out of some 90's teen show.  But I thought The Fosters was better then parading teen stereotypes like 'the dumb jock.' 

This is another huge red flag that Callie no longer has any control over her own website at all, it's being moderated to censor anyone who speaks out against the corporation that woman works for. It really is bizarre that Callie would honestly let them completely recode/design the site without her involvement.

Yeah, it is weird and out of character. Callie doesn't trust easily, so why just let them take over? That woman is super-shady.

• Love 1

Why do I have the feeling that this twist is probably because Gabriel was dating their mom when she was a teenager and the parents had him arrested under statutory rape charges in an attempt to keep them apart because of all their drug use?

That was my first thought, too, when I heard (or read) it. Except "lewd and liscivious" is not the same thing as "statutory rape" and that was the charge against Gabe. That is likely what the writers were going for, I thought at first. Maybe it wasn't because of drug use, though. Anna's parents might have pursued it as statutory rape because because she was under 18. He could have also been under 18 and Anna could have consented to the sex, but it is still "statutory" rape because you can't give consent under the law under age 18.

Now, if Gabe actually molested a minor(Lewd & Liscivious), that's a whole ball of wax and a very unpleasant plot line. (Although I would expect it would be shown that he was framed.)

• Love 2

That was my first thought, too, when I heard (or read) it. Except "lewd and liscivious" is not the same thing as "statutory rape" and that was the charge against Gabe. That is likely what the writers were going for, I thought at first. Maybe it wasn't because of drug use, though. Anna's parents might have pursued it as statutory rape because because she was under 18. He could have also been under 18 and Anna could have consented to the sex, but it is still "statutory" rape because you can't give consent under the law under age 18.

Now, if Gabe actually molested a minor(Lewd & Liscivious), that's a whole ball of wax and a very unpleasant plot line. (Although I would expect it would be shown that he was framed.)

But isn't lewd & lascivious acts considered a lesser charge than statutory rape?  Statutory rape means that there was sexual intercourse, while lewd & lascivious acts means there was sexual contact but not intercourse.  I assumed the writers had chosen that charge so we could have a storyline where Gabe turns out to be a good guy who was just mistakenly convicted of a sex crime, you know, since that happens all the time and what we really need in this country are more "rape is fake and dudes get falsely accused all the time" storylines.

• Love 5

I feel almost certain this is gonna be a case of statutory rape, especially given the overlapping plotlines of the Romeo & Juliet play and of Brandon and his older love interest. (Which, how old is she supposed to be? Like, 21? I don't think it's THAT big a deal, but it is kinda interesting to think about in the context of him having ended up in a statutory situation with his dad's ex girlfriend...) Still, the context clues from the website that y'all point out leave room for other possibilities...

The return of (new) Jesus = the return of opportunities to rage against the insane pronunciation of Jesus on this show, this episode perpetrated by Jesus himself. WHY DO YOU THINK YOUR NAME IS HAY-ZUES, EMPHASIS ON THE HAY?! Poor child. (Not to mention that everyone keeps calling Ana "Anna," but whatevs.) Does no one on this entire show staff know anyone named Jesus?! Or is this supposed to be a subtle nod to Jesus and Mariana's estrangement from their culture? Weirdly, they seem to get "Mariana" right most of the time, so WHAT IS THE DEAL

I still get the feeling there's something very hinky going on with the foster weirdo. I'm getting a kinda Munchausen's vibe from him, like maybe he's injuring himself to get sympathy/insinuate himself further into the Adams Foster fam? (Then again, maybe I'm just watching too much Real Housewives of Beverly Hills...) In any event, he gives me the bad intuition vibes as much as the investor is giving them to Callie.

When that Dylan McKay rip off (or Brandon Walsh, as posited above) steals Mariana away from a Hot Mat reunion, I will be SO MAD.

P.S. Maybe the big reveal will be that Nick is secretly Jesus's dad and he's just been pulling a 21 Jump Street to try to get close to him before breaking the news. The only way that old man high schooler makes sense in this show.

Edited by itainttippithebird
  • Love 1