Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 02/15/16

Fisher King
  • Start Topic

The saddest thing about this post is that there were 21 people shot, five people killed on a college campus and I don't even remember it. Carnage with fewer than 10 deaths doesn't even ring a damned bell in my brain anymore.

Chris Kyle, super sniper supreme and the hard right's wettest wet dream, lost his life while armed at a friggin' firing range. Somehow I don't think a loaded Glock in University Joe's backpack is going to be of much use to him or the rest of his class when the next Adam Lanza comes calling.

That's exactly what I thought too, and I was sad that I didn't remember that incident. That's a good point about Chris Kyle, too. If a renowned armed sharpshooter is shot along with his armed friend at a shooting range full of "good guys", what hope is there for an inexperienced student?

• Love 9

I’ve thought since they were re-casting after Jenny McCarthy and Sherri Shepherd were fired that Eva Longoria would’ve been a great choice for this show, and I feel that way even more after seeing her on the show today. She is very intelligent and well-spoken. I doubt they could get her because she would probably rather stick to acting, but she would be fantastic as a co-host on this show considering all the political talk.

What a bad day for Sunny. I’m glad Joy pointed out that quote is on the Statue of Liberty…

• Love 2

Ari333, I can appreciate your frustration at being a sitting duck, but I don't think most of these unstable shooters would be afraid if some people started fumbling around for their guns. I think their purpose is to kill as many people as quickly as possible, and they are prepared to die by the police after the event or they kill themselves.

You're right. And I am frustrated. But you're right ^^^^. Is it possible to have metal detectors so people cant just walk in with a gun? Whatever the cost is, it seems worth it. But then folks would come in with explosives and IDK what else. IDK what to say. Patting everyone down seems impractical and no one could get to class.  Lock the classroom doors  and make them bullet proof?? But then late folks cant get in. I had professors who wouldn't let late folks in just on principle.  And locking the door may be a fire code thing. But thwart the shooter inside and then he will just wait for everyone outside to blow people away. IDK.

One thing I'd like to see is, in the news, stop repeating the gunman's name over and over to give him fame. Say the victims' names, if names have to be said. And good Lord, stop media from saying "this is THE WORST mass murder in the history of the US.... x amount of people dead. " So the next person knows he has to kill X amount more to be THE WORST EVER.  And stop gun shows from selling guns. If I understand it correctly that is the loophole for no background checks. Oh, let me shutty.

I didn't mean to spout off stupid ideas bc that makes me sound like CCB and that is not a good thing. :-) But I am frustrated. True.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2

I do like the Friday show with Joy as moderator. Glad she stopped Michelle's "joke" so that someone else (CCB in this case) could talk.

I am amazed at how far some on the panel will go to excuse or explain a presidential candidate's words. It's okay to have walls because cities in the bible had walls? If we are going to go there, what about the walls of Jericho and how they came tumbling down? My point is why try to justify Trump or throw shade at the Pope's comments. Of course, we always have Paula to excuse Trump because he is Trump.

• Love 4

There were armed guards at Columbine and Fort Hood and many more scenes of mass shootings.  IMO, more guns is not the answer.  An active shooting scene is very fluid and chaotic and is difficult for trained law enforcement to figure out.  We don't need untrained nonprofessionals running around with guns.  There was an incident a few months ago where a person with concealed carry handgun, pulled his gun and fired on a person running out of WalMart.  The person had done nothing.  

• Love 8

Paula described Trump as not the beacon of Christianity. Well, that is the understatement of the century.

Someone told me that the Pope is paid fairly big money to visit the USA and Mexico etc. Is that true? I thought he visited sick and poor people .... just because - to bless and inspire and try to relieve emotional suffering.  The church or whoever cant fund his travel expenses? Am I missing something? IDK if it's true. I found it a shocking notion and hard to believe.

Is CCB's hair getting longer by inches every day?

Sometimes I say stupid things and miss the forest for the trees, (see my gun posts above, exhibit A)  but at least I recognize that about myself. But wow... CCB topped herself in the stupid department with that Bible/ walls BS. That was stunning. except not so much. Just wow. Stunning. CCB... STFU 

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3

I could be wrong, but I think they're purposely highlighting people during Black History Month who are lesser known than the names you mentioned.  I thought the point was that everyone has heard of a handful of black people with great accomplishments (Rosa Parks, MLK, Jr, etc), but that there are so many more who are pretty much unknown and should be recognized as well. 

But, but...they mentioned Frederick Douglass!!!! Okay, let me stop. I just sounded like Bitsy in my head! But, fair point.

I did catch one part of "The View" when Candace 'splained to Joy that a priest or pastor MUST give details of a confession if it involves a serious crime.

No, Candace, it doesn't.  The criminal may confess to the priest and the priest may not turn him in.   Why would there be such a thing as "Seal of the Confessional"?  Wiki tells me:  In a criminal matter, a priest may encourage the penitent to surrender to authorities. However, this is the extent of the leverage he wields. He may not directly or indirectly disclose the matter to civil authorities himself. The doctrine of priest–penitent privilege is respected to varying degrees by the laws of different nations.

Good GOD! How could I forget that part! And not only a priest, but Candace also said, that if a lawyer knows that their client is guilty of a crime, or confessed, he or she should reveal it! Has she been living with her head in the sand her entire life? Has she never heard of attorney/client privilege? The other week, she was talking about how her doctor promised her confidentiality about her health, yet she spouts off idiocy like this? And comes off as a high-level nimrodic maroon.

Feel better, Former Nun!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 7

I'm no fan of rap music and I've never heard of Killer Mike. But I found him to be intelligent and passionate in his views and he is a very well spoken man. I don't know what his music is like but I doubt it demeans women and his take on the world makes a lot of sense. It's refreshing to see a man speak so well and who is a rapper by trade unlike the Kanye Wests of the world who make no sense and are demeaning to the genre.

• Love 9

Sometimes I say stupid things and miss the forest for the trees, (see my gun posts above, exhibit A) but at least I recognize that about myself. But wow... CCB topped herself in the stupid department with that Bible/ walls BS. That was stunning. except not so much. Just wow. Stunning. CCB... STFU

You re fine, ari333. Human like the rest of us who post in frustration sometimes. I love this thread because we get so many great insights and responses. I only wish I could remember the best posts when I conversate (Judge Judy plaintiff) with my friends who sound like CCB or Paula. At this time I don't know any folks as rude or over bearing as Whoopi though. I need more friends like Joy though, but I have you guys who collectively transcend her even.

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 8

A wonderful show! I love Killer Mike! I first saw him on Larry Wilmore's show, and he's appeared twice, I think, on Bill Maher's show as well. I loved how he wouldn't let Paula cut him off or Sunny. And Eva was just as wonderful.

Shut UP, Candace.

I hate, hate, hate, HATE that the stupid Fuller House is premiering on MY Birthday!!!! Why is the universe so CRUEL to me??!!!

And Shutup, Paula. Trying to make what the Pope said on Democrat v. Republican lines. So I cheered when Eva came out and said the Pope loves everyone, not just Democrats and not just Republicans.

• Love 7

i saw Killer Mike for the first time on Bill Maher last Friday and he was wonderful - cute scene with him and Bill and a cigarette (maybe pot?) It's being rerun this Friday again as Bill is taking a week off. Worth a look if you enjoyed him today....

It was a marijuana joint!

I am so freaking SICK of these women, but especially Raven, reading something some random person posted on Twitter. It's bad enough that the twitter posts are shown on the bottom of the screen, why are they reading them? And the way Raven does it - she reads a post with this smug little attitude, then nods, purses her lips together and nods, to give her approval of whatever it is. Express your OWN opinion, don't just read what someone posted online! It's like Bitsy used to do with her "some people are saying....." it's a way of expressing an opinion with taking ownership of the opinion.

If I want to read Twitter, I will. I don't need these people to read it aloud to me.

and it's not just opinions - today's show had random posts from twitter answering the question - how often do you talk to your mom? Is anyone interested in reading how one complete stranger talks to his/her mom every day, while someone else does every week? I DON"T CARE.

But wouldn't we love them to read what we, as random strangers, post on this forum!

• Love 5

And f*****g Tyga's thugs turn away Sir Paul….really?   Is the little brat going to wear that as a badge of honour?  

Ah, but now everyone knows Tyga's name.   Blech.  

CCB is dumber than a sack of bricks.

And I'm being unkind to the bricks.

Where were these ignorant children (Candace and Raven) raised? In the corn fields? Bales of hay? The slop bucket?

Educated on a TV studio set.  And it shows.  Boy does it show.  That stupidity and ignorance on display during the Apple security discussion the other day honestly pissed me off so much I think I need to go back to only watching on Fridays.

Whoopi says college should be free because in America "everyone has the right to an education?"  yeah, and there IS free education through 12th grade.  

My objection to free college goes like this -  my kids made sacrifices, I made sacrifices, to get them through college.  They are paying back their student loans. WHy should they have to pay additional taxes to fund other people going to college?

On the other hand, I don't have any kids but vote yes on every school levy and support anything that will help make higher education affordable if not free - although I've long thought community colleges should be free.    In my state [Washington] tuition at a four year public school has doubled in the last ten years. And  25 years ago the state supported 80% of instruction costs, tuition covered the other 20% .  In 2015 those numbers have almost reversed.  It's ridiculous, especially today when an undergrad degree is a vital as a high school diploma used to be. 

I am so freaking SICK of  these women, but especially Raven, reading something some random person posted on Twitter.  It's bad enough that the twitter posts are shown on the bottom of the screen, why are they reading them?  

Me too but It's not for the viewers - it's a way for the show to increase the number of Twitter followers and Facebook "likes" .  The higher the number the bigger the ad budget.   It's a money making thing. 

Today would have been a good day to make a drinking game out of every time  we heard the words Fuller House; I could have been passed out by noon, LOL.  I'm sorry to all those who loved this show as a kid but I don't get it.  Yes, I've seen it and I think it's stupid, but then I was lucky enough to grow up  with shows like Good Times, Mary Tyler Moore, One Day at a Time, Maude, etc.    I hope it bombs too.

My favorite parts of the show today were 1)Born Again Barbie explaining what the Pope meant, especially considering she just found out that Catholics are Christians and 2) the terrified look on her face sitting next to Killer Mike.  Hahahaha! 

• Love 7

I am sick and tired of Candace. How can she not understand the walls around the Vatican or compare it to, say, the fences around the WH. Or the many, many other cities (I know- Vatican City is a country) in Europe built centuries ago for safety from attacks. IMO the Pope meant Christians should not put up walls but build "bridges" on immigration. IMO - like Congress is NOT doing. For decades. Odd that Reagan's amnesty is never mentioned by the GOP.

And now Paula is reeling off statistics on Pope Paul's popularity - source? Didn't hear complaints during his visit here last fall.

BTW - I am not, and never was a Catholic.

I've grown tired of Candace and am especially disappointed in Paula. Throw in Michelle and Raven, Whoopi, and most of the co-hosts.

One thing for sure, when Miss Whoopi is not there - their true beliefs actually come out. At least most of the panel today. But I like Joy for giving them their rope.

• Love 5

I felt like I was in a church for the beginning of Friday's hot topics. Even though it would be nice (to me at least).... I don't see politics and religion really ever being separated in people's eyes. When BAB got to the "fruit" part of her comments I was wishing I had some to stuff in her mouth so she'd shut up.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 4

Cracks me up (not that it's funny) that the same people (BAB and her ilk) who are saying the Pope should keep his religion out of politics are the same people who thump their bibles while discussing any hot topic.  

• Love 11

Cracks me up (not that it's funny) that the same people (BAB and her ilk) who are saying the Pope should keep his religion out of politics are the same people who thump their bibles while discussing any hot topic.

And these are also the same people who've judged and declared President Obama a Muslim with Sharia law in his blood, no?

• Love 4

CCB and Paula should not be allowed to appear together, it creates an imbalance in the panel.

I'm sorry, I like Killer Mike a lot, but I just can't with his quoting Jane Elliot (who I also admire a ton) about uteri being qualifying or disqualifying in a candidate.  Stick to gender, leave the reproductive organs and genitalia out of it, that goes double for Sarandon.  Killer Mike got it wrong in the after show claiming that Clinton voted for the bankruptcy bill, she voted for one that didn't make it to passage but she did not vote on the final bill, she was at Bill's bedside in the hospital and missed the vote.

• Love 5