Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Clarity

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Dr. Rhodes and Dr. Downey make plans to operate on Ray, a 9/11 hero who is suffering from pulmonary fibrosis. A new set of lungs could save his life through an innovative surgical procedure but an unforeseen medical problem arises with Ray that might derail the doctor's grand plans. Sarah contemplates which hospital to select for her residency match while Maggie and April make their push for her to remain at Chicago Med. Meanwhile, Dr. Choi works to determine the cause of an injured teenage star hockey player with an overbearing father while Dr. Halstead and Dr. Manning continue to clash.

I'm glad to see Choi is trying to have a grown up relationship with the military doctor.  Color me surprised that he actually talked with her and told her her has some issues from his military days and he talked with a psychiatrist. 

• Love 10

To paraphrase my 14 yo niece: I CAN'T EVEN. Seriously, I'm with the poster from last week who said the writers are actively trying to get us to hate Dr. Douchey McDoucheypants. Did he seriously sass Epatha with an "It's NOT FAIR!" omg. i immediately fast forwarded and did not watch anything else with him in it. However, I could tell as I blew by that he still needs a haircut.

Dr. Choi. Keep on keeping on. Talk to Dr. Charles, talk to your hot girlfriend. You can do this.

I'm sad that Dr. Lulu was jealous. Even tho it's a completely legit feeling, I just want her on my tv and it looks like that was it.

I like the supersurgeon. It's going to take me a little longer to not immediately think "Why is Mitchum Huntzberger in the OR?" but he's growing on me.

Now I love Reese and I hated her at the beginning of the season. 

Good to see Lochlan Monroe has legitimately not aged since 1990. And still playing the same character. (I hope they bring this family back - I am very invested in this kid!)

• Love 4

The way most people feel about Dr. Halstead is how I feel about Dr. Lulu.

Besides being a theoretically good surgeon, there's literally nothing to like about her.  And I like nothing about her.

Sigh  - how can we tell?  We don't see her anything of her.  Her initial scenes started with some promise, but now she is stuck being the stereotypcial female surgeon left behind in a male-dominated world while her significant other advances in their profession.  I could have stuck pins in  Dr. Rhodes when he started to explain a procedure to her - no wonder she looked glum.  

About as glum as I felt watching Dr. Halstead pout his way through his meeting with Sharon Goodwin.  He continues to be an unappealing choice for me as a male lead.  I'm good with Dr. Rhodes and Dr. Choi - Halstead not so much.  

And, maybe that failure to make some of the characters more likable - and in Dr. Zanettti's case, more fleshed out - is part of that "something missing" that preeya mentions above. 

Edited by Aurora2
  • Love 8

The 'teenage' hockey made me laugh every time he was on screen.  He looked about 35 years old. Both his parents had normal to small heads and he looked like he came from Mount Rushmore.  He didn't look at all like them nor did he in any way resemble a 17 year old.  

• Love 21

Good lord, that kiss and the lead up to it were horrible!  "Don't you know?"...."No."  I imagine that the direction went something like this:  "Aaaand touch lips.  Now freeze!"  Just terrible!

I was really, REALLY hoping Manning would have punched him right after he kissed her. Not that I LIKE violence, but dude, use your words, not your actions. Especially after an apology for being such a dick! My god! 

I liked the hockey family, but yeah, teenager looked 35 years old and nothing like his parents. 

Dr. McDouche? Still a douche, especially in his first scene. He was angry for having to be put on probation? Really? After the shit he pulled, he has no right to even raise his voice at Goodwin. I'm so happy Manning yelled at him for his shit, and at least she tried switching out. This whole love-hate relationship they're trying is not working for me. 

Choi's storyline is so good. It took them enough time to start showing more on him. I also really like Reese. I love that we got to see her choose Pathology because she can't handle the emotional aspects of the job. Now...let's just watch her change her mind because of Maggie and April. Oh joy. Although, if it's Dr.Charles who changes her mind, I'd be game. They still have the best relationship on the show.

I get Zanetti's jealousy and I do feel bad for her. I don't think she means to be so rude and dismissive, but she can't pretend to be happy for him. It just sucks because it is so realistic. I just want them to really talk it out, although I'm pretty sure they just broke up. It's unclear, though. 

• Love 3

Why do you keep dipping my pigtail in the ink?  You're so MEAN!

Uhhh. . .it's 'cuz I'm sweet on you.

Pffft.

I'm really liking dying Dr. Herbal.  He's on a mission and doesn't have time left for screwing around.  I hope Dr. Whateverhisnameis can just put his head down and get on board with absorbus maximus.

Edited by candall
  • Love 2

Why do you keep dipping my pigtail in the ink?  You're so MEAN!

Uhhh. . .it's 'cuz I'm sweet on you.

Pffft.

I'm really liking dying Dr. Herbal.  He's on a mission and doesn't have time left for screwing around.  I hope Dr. Whateverhisnameis can just put his head down and get on board with absorbus maximus.

I like this storyline too but I'm a Grey's watcher and this is verbatim the Geena Davis storyline from last year. Oh well.

• Love 3

I like this storyline too but I'm a Grey's watcher and this is verbatim the Geena Davis storyline from last year. Oh well.

Yes, it's like the writers are told to watch Grey's Anatomy season by season, then "simplify" the story line even more. When they get bored, the reach back into the ER bag for ideas.

Halsted makes a terrible McDreamy

Choi obviously has Dr Hunt's storyline

Dr I'm rich but don't nobody say nothing, is the male blend of Arizona & Callie. He has Arizona's storylines and Callie's backstory. I'll be waiting for him to lose his leg (or maybe they'll mix it up and pick another extremity)

The nurses are straight from the Nurse Hathaway days on ER. Has there been any decent portrayals of nurses since that show?

Also, just as a side note, I saw yet another doctor centric show ad during this episode for NBC. With the bland Chicago Med, the summer (?) replacement with the military related doctors in Texas and now a new show with Melissa George as what looks to be another attempt to recreate House as a female.... Exactly how many medical shows does NBC need or want on their roster?

• Love 3

Yes, it's like the writers are told to watch Grey's Anatomy season by season, then "simplify" the story line even more. When they get bored, the reach back into the ER bag for ideas.

Halsted makes a terrible McDreamy

Choi obviously has Dr Hunt's storyline

Dr I'm rich but don't nobody say nothing, is the male blend of Arizona & Callie. He has Arizona's storylines and Callie's backstory. I'll be waiting for him to lose his leg (or maybe they'll mix it up and pick another extremity)

The nurses are straight from the Nurse Hathaway days on ER. Has there been any decent portrayals of nurses since that show?

Also, just as a side note, I saw yet another doctor centric show ad during this episode for NBC. With the bland Chicago Med, the summer (?) replacement with the military related doctors in Texas and now a new show with Melissa George as what looks to be another attempt to recreate House as a female.... Exactly how many medical shows does NBC need or want on their roster?

A female Dr. House??? Will she be Dr. Home? 

• Love 6

Dr. McDouche? Still a douche, especially in his first scene. He was angry for having to be put on probation? Really? After the shit he pulled, he has no right to even raise his voice at Goodwin.

To me, the most disturbing part of the scene was his total lack of insight into how wrong he was.  Incredibly, he still thinks he did nothing wrong.

And not suspending or firing Dr. McDouche to protect the hospital's position in the lawsuit makes no sense.  It's not as if they have a defense.   Realistically, their assessment of the case should be, "Dr. McDouche screwed up, big time, how much is it going to cost us?"

If I were in Goodwin's shoes, I wouldn't permit Dr. McDouche to be in the same ZIP code as a patient.  But I get it.  He's one of the leads. 

Edited by heisey
  • Love 5

This show is so bland. There is something missing that I can't identify.

Good writing, Sharon firing McDouche and a decade worth of acting lessons for the actress playing Manning?

Good lord, that kiss and the lead up to it were horrible!  "Don't you know?"...."No."  I imagine that the direction went something like this:  "Aaaand touch lips.  Now freeze!"  Just terrible!

My first thought was 'use your words, don't just slobber her without knowing if she's actually alright with it', but then I remembered that I don't like to hear him talk either.

To me, the most disturbing part of the scene was his total lack of insight into how wrong he was.  Incredibly, he still thinks he did nothing wrong.

And not suspending or firing Dr. McDouche to protect the hospital's position in the lawsuit makes no sense.  It's not as if they have a defense.   Realistically, their assessment of the case should be, "Dr. McDouche screwed up, big time, how much is it going to cost us?"

If I were in Goodwin's shoes, I wouldn't permit Dr. McDouche to be in the same ZIP code as a patient.  But I get it.  He's one of the leads. 

Exactly. He doesn't seem to have any ability to reflect on his actions.

I don't know too much about US law, but while they would of course make his personal case harder, wouldn't it actually be good for the hospital to get rid of him? If they showed the family that someone ignoring patients' wishes didn't have a place in the hospital and they don't agree with his actions? I'm usually all for employers having their employees' backs, but he has been acting inappropriately since ep 1, so he really doesn't deserve it.

Still waiting for an ep where no one has to stop a doctor trying to revive a patient they have already lost.

I'm disappointed in Zanetti. Why shouldn't Rhodes take a job he was offered that is apparently a once in a lifetime opportunity. If Downey thought she was the right person, he would have chosen her. I doubt she would have gotten her turn if Rhodes had turned Downey down. I get that she's disappointed, but it's no one's fault, so get over it. For someone who likes to act like a tough cookie, she's sulking quite expertly.

Edited by Sonja
  • Love 1

I really, really like Sarah, and I know this is just going to come around with her wanting to Match into Chicago Med's EM program, and I wish I didn't see that coming.  They could have just had her make her choice and be happy with it, but they have to stretch it out.  Also, it might be fun to see her do a different rotation, since she's apparently doing six months with our heroes.

Perhaps if they were to get rid of both Halstead and Natalie and bring on Zanetti and Choi's hot girlfriend are regular?

Also, I just realized that the hospital doesn't seem to have a single EM attending.  Have we ever seen one?  No wonder the lunatics are running the asylum.

VITAMIN K DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!!

• Love 5

I'm really liking both Choi and his new squeeze and how they're behaving like adults.  A nice contrast to most television, and particularly here compared to Halstead and Manning.

While I'm glad that Halstead went to apologize and kiss (eyeroll) Manning, are they twelve?  Because I take things out on  you because I love you is so immature.  And since Halstead had told Manning that the man was his patient, why did she give orders when she knew how touchy he was right now?  I wouldn't want either of them near me.

I continue to love Dr. Charles.  The only competent shrink on night time TV today.

I like how they only touched on the idea of why would a man with brain damage from playing hockey want his son to go the same route without beating it into the ground.

I bet Colin Donnell liked having his wife, Patty Murin on set with him even if they didn't share scenes (she played the pathologist),

If they suspend or fire him, they are admitting that he did something wrong.  The patient never sues just the doctor, they sue the whole hospital and everyone even vaguely associated with the case.  Once the hospital suspends Halstead, they are admitting that they let an incompetent doctor work there and the settlement asked from the hospital goes way up.

• Love 3

If they suspend or fire him, they are admitting that he did something wrong.  The patient never sues just the doctor, they sue the whole hospital and everyone even vaguely associated with the case.  Once the hospital suspends Halstead, they are admitting that they let an incompetent doctor work there and the settlement asked from the hospital goes way up.

That, and whatever malpractice insurance he has is provided by the hospital during his residency.

Although it would have been cool if the husband had decided to press charges, and some of the gang from CPD came over to slap cuffs on him.

• Love 1

Love Dr.Choi, and yum.

Love Reese she is empathetic, likeable and competent. Take a note Dr. Douchebag! 

Love Epatha and Oliver as always.

That kiss ugg. I think I would be more comfortable watching a Duggar kiss.

Best part of the episode to me was Epatha laying into Dr. Douchy and ripping him a new one!

I would agree, if this was an ordinary malpractice case, where there is a question about Halstead's liability.  But this is not that kind of case. The hospital, which would be sued along with Halstead, can't credibly argue Halstead did nothing wrong.  Halstead is clearly liable, and as his employer, the hospital is liable for his actions.  If the case isn't settled, and the case goes to trial, the smart thing to do would be to admit liability and go to trial on the issue of damages only.  This doesn't happen often, but it does happen sometimes in cases like this, where liability is clear.  In this type of situation, there is no advantage to be gained by not suspending or firing Halstead.  In fact, not firing or suspending him could backfire, by making it appear the hospital supports his actions.

As for Halstead, if he has a competent defense lawyer, there will at some point be a "let's talk turkey" kind of meeting to acquaint him with the legal realities of his situation.  I know no one has sympathy for lawyers, but I do pity the poor lawyer who gets Halstead as a client.  Talk about "the client from hell."

• Love 3

People in every profession are put on "administrative leave (paid or unpaid)" all the time "pending an investigation." They are not moved from active duty, as it were, because the employer is essentially admitting feels they are guilty, but simply because an accusation has been leveled against them. Why not this goofball? By keeping him on the job, the hospital is almost saying it doesn't believe he should be investigated or that he could be guilty of the accusation, which seems to me would definitely increase the hospital's culpability. Especially if a second accusation is leveled against him for malpractice while he continues to work.

• Love 6

I was really, REALLY hoping Manning would have punched him right after he kissed her. Not that I LIKE violence, but dude, use your words, not your actions. Especially after an apology for being such a dick! My god! 

I liked the hockey family, but yeah, teenager looked 35 years old and nothing like his parents. 

Dr. McDouche? Still a douche, especially in his first scene. He was angry for having to be put on probation? Really? After the shit he pulled, he has no right to even raise his voice at Goodwin. I'm so happy Manning yelled at him for his shit, and at least she tried switching out. This whole love-hate relationship they're trying is not working for me. 

Choi's storyline is so good. It took them enough time to start showing more on him. I also really like Reese. I love that we got to see her choose Pathology because she can't handle the emotional aspects of the job. Now...let's just watch her change her mind because of Maggie and April. Oh joy. Although, if it's Dr.Charles who changes her mind, I'd be game. They still have the best relationship on the show.

I get Zanetti's jealousy and I do feel bad for her. I don't think she means to be so rude and dismissive, but she can't pretend to be happy for him. It just sucks because it is so realistic. I just want them to really talk it out, although I'm pretty sure they just broke up. It's unclear, though. 

I've never been a regular watcher of General Hospital, but the actress playing Zanetti was cast as the daughter of Laura Spencer, yes? I suddenly saw in this episode -- or maybe the next one? -- how much she looks like Genie Francis. My goodness, that was some brilliant casting! It looks like we won't be getting to know Zanetti much better, which is too bad. Speaking of casting, I agree that the "17-year-old" hockey kid looked about twice that, but I thought there was a reasonable resemblance between him and Lochlyn Munro, who played his father.

"Don't you know?" is not an explanation for why you are a self-involved dick, son. Especially followed by awkward, potentially unreciprocated kisses.

Still can't get used to Doctor Hotshot. But my immediate, reflexive reaction to seeing Mitchum Hunzberger on my tv screen ("AAahgh! Kill it! Kill it with fire!") is gradually lessening.

Choi and Reese are both growing on me; of course Reese is not going to end up in Pathology, but nice try, show.

• Love 1

I now who Zoe reminds me of- Chloë Grace Moretz. And she at least knows what's what between Halstead and Manning.

Halstead's hair this episode was cracking me up. It's got a poofy mullet thing going on.

Uh, Dr. Manning, Halstead is a doof to everyone. It's not just picking on you even though he does wuv you.

Rumpled, bed head Rhodes is too cute. CD can work any color scrubs. Purple, Maroon, Blue, man just works it. Loved Rhodes' final exchange with Dr. Hotshot. Just learn.

Reese was cute with the hockey player. Too bad he's in high school and not in college as I thought they had great chem.

Choi confronting the dad like he did was so so wrong. Like Dr. Oliver Platt said, that was HIS job. And of course it completely undermined him later when the Dad wasn't accepting the diagnosis -although the Dad wouldn't have accepted the diagnosis anyway since his son's hockey career was being threatened. And then we learn that Choi was in the teen's position so he's got his own resentment in following the family trade. I get it. Still wrong for his approach to CTE dad.

Edited by TobinAlbers

I've never been a regular watcher of General Hospital, but the actress playing Zanetti was cast as the daughter of Laura Spencer, yes? 

Yes, Julie Berman played Lesley-lu, or Lulu Spencer. Hence, Dr. Lulu.

While Manning and Halsted behaved like two kids and I wouldn't let them near me with a ten foot long stethoscope I'd rather watch an episode of them bicker playground style then watch Rhodes ~the chosen one storyline with Dr. Whatshisface. It's so boring. His relationship with dr. Lulu fell flat too since she's had a chip on her shoulder since arrival.

• Love 1