Type keyword(s) to search

Casting Lab: Characters or Caricatures?

• Start Topic

Moved from episode thread.

Cuba SAYS he's 5'10" but in photos with the 5'7" Tom Cruise, they are eye to eye.  It sucks, because I like Cuba, but he's just too short, and as my friend said, "OJ was a VERY handsome man."  I'd guess he might be a smidge over 5'8" which was Nicole's height.

1329411272_cuba-gooding-jr-tom-curise-46

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/09/defense-cuba-gooding-jr-oj-simpson

This article recommends John Douglas Thompson, Obie award winning actor.  He's the right age too, just couple of years older than OJ was at the time.

I dunno, too late, but it's getting increasingly hard for me to buy Cuba in this role, I hope they give him a booster seat during the trial at least.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/theater/100000002798506/in-performance-john-douglas-thompson.html

john_thompson020610_367.jpg?m=1349355823

Also moved from episode thread.

I talked a friend into watching this last night, she was really interested, since she lived in LA at the time.  I called her today and asked her what she thought.  She was bored, but the main problem was she just couldn't buy "That guy as OJ."  (She didn't recognize  him.)  Anyway, she went on, "OJ was very handsome, he was big, he had this big booming voice and a smile that lit up his face.  Why did they cast this guy?  He looks NOTHING like OJ, he's not even cute, let alone handsome, and he's tiny.  In the Bronco he just looked like a tiny little crybaby, and when he got out Kardashian was taller than he was."

She's not going to watch anymore, she said there was no point when the lead role was so unbelievable as OJ.  So I tried to say I got it, but his acting was kinda/sorta making up for him being all wrong for this role.  She said "No.  Not for me, his voice, his mannerisms, nothing was OJ to me.  His physical power was part of the story, and I just don't get any of that from that guy."  (CGJ)

Maybe if she'd seen the menace in the first episode, she'd soften on this, but in talking to her, in many ways she is RIGHT.  We talked about Meryl Streep playing the 6'1" Julia Child, and that she wore heavy lifts, was surrounded with a shorter cast, shot standing on top of things out of camera, and she pulled it off.  This show didn't even lower the coffin enough that CGJ didn't look like a child leaning over to kiss Nicole.  They aren't even trying.  Her final thought about all of that was, "Even if they did all that, which yeah, would be better, he doesn't have the charm or power, and HE IS JUST NOT HANDSOME.  OJ was a very attractive man, even then."

She has a point.  I know it's been made here, but talking to her with the normal back and forth of conversation, and tone of voice, is obviously much different than posting on a message board.  I feel for Cuba, loved his interview, sorry about his voice (but even when it was 100% it didn't have the booming, commanding, kind of scary power of OJ's.)  He's just all wrong for this part, and great acting can't save that.  I'm still in, but there are many talented black, tall, charismatic, handsome men out there that would have been better in this role.  At the very least, the damn directors didn't have to surround him with taller cops when he was handcuffed.

He's like a pocket sized, much less handsome, OJ, and his emotional scenes last night, although well done, made him seem even less powerful/manly, like a curled up kid in the back seat.  Imagine that scene with a huge guy...

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 6

I'm still in, but there are many talented black, tall, charismatic, handsome men out there that would have been better in this role.

I agree!

I've thought about:

Boris Kodjoe (but too pretty)

Forest Whitaker (ignore the eye problem)

Omari Hardwick (handsome, but only 5'10")

Morris Chestnut (yesss)

hell, even Terry Crews or LL Cool J!

Edited by Jade Foxx
  • Love 1

Perhaps Wood Harris (Avon Barksdale) from The Wire? Right size, right age, can act, handsome etc.

Boris Kodjoe isn't too pretty. I don't know his work or size though. OJ was very handsome.

Looks-wise he's a good fit - tall too.

Honestly I felt a little faint after looking at pictures of him.

• Love 2

I think Sarah Paulson is an inspired choice to play Marcia Clark. Not 100% in the looks department, but she gives off the competent but overwhelmed drive that I get from rewatching old clips of Clark in the trial. Like a steely intelligence that never wavered, even as the case collapsed around her into hysterics and circus.

I'm anxious to see more of Blair, Britton and Brewster, mostly because Kris and Faye can veer off straight into camp (as those famewhores in real life do), and I've never been a big Jordana Brewster fan and Denise's testimony is some of to the most heart wrenching stuff in trying to steer the narrative back to where it should have been - an abusive husband who probably was murderous to his ex wife.

I think Britton is a great actress, but that area of the trial is so bizarre and taps into RM's love of campy socialites (thinking of Nip/Tuck here) that it could completely collapse if it's not modulated correctly.

• Love 5

I agree!

I've thought about:

Boris Kodjoe (but too pretty)

Forest Whitaker (ignore the eye problem)

Omari Hardwick (handsome, but only 5'10")

Morris Chestnut (yesss)

hell, even Terry Crews or LL Cool J!

Idris Elba - 6 foot 3. Different build (more rangy) but close enough (especially compared to CGJ's build). British, but has done credible American accents before Facially different from OJ, but so are all of these guys being suggested--at the very least he's handsome and charismatic, as OJ was.
  • Love 2

I've been thinking about the Faye Resnick casting. The only known celeb I can think of who might've looked physically closer to the real Faye as she looked during the trial & accompanying media circus, than Connie Britton, is--perhaps--Paula Abdul (yes, she's best-known as a dancer-singer, & as a judge on American Idol, The X Factor (US Version), So You Think You Can Dance & maybe some other reality show I'm forgetting, but she has done some acting, in TV/TV movies, as well.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 2

I get that people love the actress who will play Faye, but to me, she just is so physically DIFFERENT than Faye, it's strange. Not as strange as casting Cuba though.

Agree wholeheartedly with you about Connie Britton looking completely different than Faye. But I think she's such a good actress that hopefully it'll be an intelligent reading of the character.

But what's weirder - Cuba's casting or John Travolta? A review in the Hollywood Reporter said that Travolta's performance is so modulated and mannered that it veers into Faye Dunaway in Mommie Dearest kabuki realm. I don't know I'd go that far, but Travolta is a strange casting choice for sure.

• Love 4

Joseph Fiennes for OJ. J/k.

Too soon?

Nope.

Although I do find it a bit puzzling/pissy that the cries and screams are about "there goes Hollywood again", when that Jackson thing with Fiennes is a British production. It makes the outrage feel knee-jerk.

Back to OJ. Besides Idris Elba, I was thinking even Terrence Howard would have been better than Cuba. Again, another guy who looks nothing like OJ, but at least he's got a little more mass to him.

I edited out a casting comment last night, because I was afraid I was going off-track. I was trying to think of who Robert Shapiro reminded me of, as I was watching a video of him on Larry King. His face shape, and even the eyebrows a little bit, reminded me of Tom Irwin on My So-Called Life. I thought there was another one, but no names are coming to mind (not from that show, just an actor). 

Am I the only one who sees the resemblance? I could see that John Travolta did have his mannerisms, though - his face even looked a bit stretched in the clip I saw. 

• Love 2

Agree wholeheartedly with you about Connie Britton looking completely different than Faye. But I think she's such a good actress that hopefully it'll be an intelligent reading of the character.

But what's weirder - Cuba's casting or John Travolta? A review in the Hollywood Reporter said that Travolta's performance is so modulated and mannered that it veers into Faye Dunaway in Mommie Dearest kabuki realm. I don't know I'd go that far, but Travolta is a strange casting choice for sure.

The thing is, Shapiro WAS "modulated and mannered" when he spoke.  VERY.  I didn't like Travolta in the first episode, but I did in the second.  He has the ego and phoniness down pat, which may look like bad acting, but Shapiro himself always seemed to be acting, and badly.  Jury is still out for me, if we get more of "second episode" Travolta, I'm all in with him.

This one is even better and showing his speaking, recorded 2 days before Bronco chase. 

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 3

Idris Elba - 6 foot 3. Different build (more rangy) but close enough (especially compared to CGJ's build).

On a personal note, I have an unhealthy, obsessive crush on Idris Elba - and would hate to see his talent, looks, and charisma being used to portray a near illiterate, narcissist, murdering moron like OJ.

So, I'm slightly biased. 

• Love 6

On a personal note, I have an unhealthy, obsessive crush on Idris Elba - and would hate to see his talent, looks, and charisma being used to portray a near illiterate, narcissist, murdering moron like OJ.

So, I'm slightly biased.

I'm right with you on that obsession.

One thing about OJ - handsome as he was there was also something a little bland about him. Idris (as I call him in my fantasies) is a great actor but he has kind of a built-in intensity that doesn't go with the OJ facade.

• Love 4

The first thing I thought when I heard that Connie Britton had been cast as Faye was "She doesn't look anything like her!", but during the funeral scene, I thought her delivery was spot on. She has Faye"s slow manner of speaking down perfectly.  I'll have to see her in more scenes to really be able to tell if they managed to make her up to look more like the real thing. I don't think Selma Blair physically resembles Kris KJ all that much, either, but I think she's a great actress & can probably deliver.

• Love 2

So, I'm slightly biased.

A good actor can act dumber, and more brutal.

A lesser actor can't really act smarter or more charming.

• Love 1

I get that people love the actress who will play Faye, but to me, she just is so physically DIFFERENT than Faye, it's strange.  Not as strange as casting Cuba though.

I think if anyone has a resemblance to Faye right now, it's Travolta. Between the frozen face and strong jawline, they could be twins. I'm excited to see Connie in this though. She always plays it straight as the mom character and this will be a fun campy bit.

I edited out a casting comment last night, because I was afraid I was going off-track. I was trying to think of who Robert Shapiro reminded me of, as I was watching a video of him on Larry King. His face shape, and even the eyebrows a little bit, reminded me of Tom Irwin on My So-Called Life. I thought there was another one, but no names are coming to mind (not from that show, just an actor). 

Am I the only one who sees the resemblance? I could see that John Travolta did have his mannerisms, though - his face even looked a bit stretched in the clip I saw. 

^^YES!!! Tom Irwin would have been perfect. He's got the mannerism and eyebrows, even the haughty attitude. I love him on Devious Maids lately. 

I have similar feelings about CGJ. He doesn't strike me as the powerful man that OJ was but I do believe he's a good actor . That said, I have trouble coming up with someone else who could take his place. I secretly love Duane Johnson for the resemblance and career similarity but he can't pull of drama. And then there are uber talented guys like Idris Elba, but would he do cable TV? I think it was a matter of finding someone who wanted the role, was a good enough actor, and had the pull to carry a series. To me, CGJ makes the series more marketable. I mean, we're all talking about it right now. Although, I'm curious to know if anyone turned the part down before him.

• Love 2

Boris Kodjoe isn't too pretty.  I don't know his work or size though.  OJ was very handsome.

I agree. I also had wondered about Morris Chestnut. Idris Elba is too hot a commodity right now -- it was never gonna happen.

I actually think Travolta is doing a great job. His portrayal is a bit over the top but I think it's setting the right tone for Shapiro.

I also think that the Faye Resnick resemblance isn't as important as OJ. 

• Love 1

Upthread Terry Crews was mentioned as an alternative to CGJ. I hadn't thought of him before, but now that he has been mentioned, I think he could have been a good choice.

I lived two doors down from Terry in a dorm at Western Michigan U. when Terry was about 20. I can tell you first hand that he was charming as hell and very charismatic back then, in a way that most guys that age aren't mature enough to pull off.

He is about the same age as OJ was at the time of the murders. He has a gorgeous smile and is very physically imposing.

Facially, he doesn't resemble OJ much, but no worse the CGJ. He may be too muscular to look like OJ, but perhaps clothing could disguise that somewhat. I am not sure about how the voices would match.

Since Terry played in the NFL, he might have a better grasp of how OJ carried himself, as well as having an understanding of the jock mentality.

The only question I have is whether Terry could pull off the anger and rage OJ has exhibited. I have only seen him act in comedies, so I don't know what kind of range he has.

• Love 1

See, I wasn't looking for someone to look, in looks (if that makes sense) exactly like OJ, or that he could be his doppleganger, but to at least be OJ's size, have the deep timbre and be able to portray the menace. And Cuba just doesn't have that. Or I'm not seeing it. I'm sorry that he hurt his vocal chords in making this series, but even before, his voice was always on the tenor and raspy side.

Someone mentioned Morris Chestnut and he would have been a much better choice! He's got the looks, the charisma, the voice, the physicality, and I believe he could have brought it.

Or, or...if he wasn't busy filming his own series, Mike Colter (who played the scary, drug dealing, murdering, charming, gorgeous Lemond Bishop on The Good Wife) could have also played OJ.

• Love 4

I think if anyone has a resemblance to Faye right now, it's Travolta. Between the frozen face and strong jawline, they could be twins. I'm excited to see Connie in this though. She always plays it straight as the mom character and this will be a fun campy bit.

^^YES!!! Tom Irwin would have been perfect. He's got the mannerism and eyebrows, even the haughty attitude. I love him on Devious Maids lately.

I have similar feelings about CGJ. He doesn't strike me as the powerful man that OJ was but I do believe he's a good actor . That said, I have trouble coming up with someone else who could take his place. I secretly love Duane Johnson for the resemblance and career similarity but he can't pull of drama. And then there are uber talented guys like Idris Elba, but would he do cable TV? I think it was a matter of finding someone who wanted the role, was a good enough actor, and had the pull to carry a series. To me, CGJ makes the series more marketable. I mean, we're all talking about it right now. Although, I'm curious to know if anyone turned the part down before him.

Responding to the bolded. Idris Elba, at least sort of, has already been doing cable TV. He stars in a British TV series called Luther which airs on the BBC there. Here in the US, Luther airs on BBC America, which is a US cable network & an "offshoot", I guess you'd call it, of the British-based network. So, presumably, he'd do something for cable TV (I'm not that familiar with his career, but he may have also done other TV work in the UK for 1 of their cable TV networks). He'd probably also do something like this if it were filmed for a "streaming" service. Beasts of No Nation, the film for which he recently won a Golden Globe (& was highly touted as an Oscar nominee for his performance as well, but he didn't end up nominated), was produced by/for Netflix.

Edited by BW Manilowe

Idris Elba has done plenty of tv before. He even had roles on The Wire and The Office so I'm confident he could pull off a convincing accent. But he paid his dues and is definitely pulling away from it. Luther was cancelled last year mainly due to his increasing success and everything on his docket right now are franchise films and big-budget starring roles. He is currently one of the most sought out actors (even rumored to take over the Bond role) and no matter how you swing it, playing OJ on FX would be a major step down for him. Frankly, I don't think they could afford him.

• Love 3

I would be curious to know who was offered the role of OJ and how many people just refusing to take or audition for the role. When the project was announced there was lots of WTF about the need and Ryan Murphy's track record of camp/OTT. Idris Elba is hot right now, John Travolta, David Schwimmer and Cuba not so much. Connie and Sarah have both worked with Ryan before as has Courtney's wife. I think there are several better choices but I don't know that they actually wanted to do it.

• Love 3

I'm ok with the casting and performances so far, but I do get distracted sometimes by Travolta. I can't remember the last time I saw him in anything so I can't tell if his frozen face and deer-in-headlights affectation is on purpose or a result of too much auditing and botox.

I find that even if he's just a hot mess that it works in giving the flavor of Shapiro... but it does make me wonder.

• Love 3

Yes, he is short but i think he has the the voice, mannerisms and charisma down pat!  Honestly though...there are a dozen people I thought who would have better suited for the role.  

Edited by Fable

Short is a problem with casting for OJ.  It just is.  He also had an abnormally large head, and since hands are the size of your face, very large hands, even for his size.  He was an imposing figure, and it was relatively easy to believe that, armed with a knife he could overpower the very fit Ron, AND Nicole. 

I kind of love CGJ, that interview was touching, talking about the bad choices he's made during his career, and not working with great directors (basically going for the money instead of wisely choosing good roles to further his craft after his Oscar, thus losing his credibility as a skilled actor.)  This was a role to try to get some of that back, and I am hoping for him that it does that.  I, so far, like his acting choices and think he's nailed him. 

He's just wrong for the part, there is no way in hell that guy is 5'10" tall.  The directors are doing him no favors either, they COULD have shot with shorter cops for example, they COULD have lowered that coffin, they COULD have giving him lifts, they COULD have stood him on higher ground or a box in places, but they just haven't done anything.  A great example is something I said before.  Meryl Streep convincingly played 6'1" Julia Child, it was uncomfortable for her many times, the lifts were awkward and heavy in some scenes, and careful shooting in others was tricky, but it worked.  These guys aren't doing any of that for Cuba.  In real life, I think Cuba's about the size of Nicole, a bit more than 5'8" tall.

As far as the big head thing, there is that old theory that larger heads work well on TV, Pat Sajack, Vanna White, and several others have large heads, and it just plays well.    He was also a BIG guy, and frankly, that was part of the feel of menace, especially when he clenched his fists.

ETA

His voice is also completely wrong for this part.  OJ had a BIG BOOMING voice, could be incredibly friendly, or incredibly menacing, he could control a room.  CGJ never had a strong voice, and now with his medical issues it's even more weak and raspy.  It's hard (actually pretty impossible) to overcome both of those things when trying to portray OJ.

EDTAP95100301340.jpg

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 2

I figure Travolta got the role as he's also producing this. Maybe he indicated he wanted to play Shapiro?

I think you've likely got the order of things wrong here. I'd bet he's got a producer credit because they wanted to secure his acting services, not the other way around. It's a modern Hollywood form of payola to give an actor a bigger salary without being blatant about it--make them a co-producer. That way the other stars they draw can't hold up his acting salary as easily as a negotiation tactic to get more themselves.

• Love 5

I agree that Cuba Gooding Jr playing OJ is ridiculous.  He is a fine actor but horribly miscast here.  I too think Cuba is more like 5'8" than the height he gives.  Each episode I find countless scenes that looked messed up.  OJ was tall, big head, huge hands, confident..........Cuba can't replicate any of those things.  When I see OJ (Cuba) looking up at Robert Kardashian I wan't to scream.  It just doesn't play out!  If OJ had looked like Cuba he would have been locked away from the git go.

John Travolta - ??? Can't look away though.

Ross Geller - SPOT ON and great in the role as an actor.  I think an award is headed his way.

I am really liking all the background on the case.

• Love 4

I just blew through the first two episodes and here is my opinion on the actors:

Sarah Paulson is perfect as Marcia Clark but then Paulson is the major reason I am watching this to begin with.  I will watch almost anything Paulson is in.  I think she is a wonderful actress and she is perfect for the roll as an increasingly out of her depth lawyer.

Sterling K. Brown is doing exceptionally well as Christopher Darden the ultimate victim of the case.  I recognize the actor I just can't place from where.   But this needs to be the likeable roll and so far it is.

Cuba Gooding Jr. is probably the only miscast roll but casting OJ Simpson was probably and impossible task and no one was going to be happy with it.  So I think he is doing as well as he can in a thankless and impossible part.

David Schwimmer is playing the the ride or die Robert Kardashian extremely well and I don't particularly care for Schwimmer but I am enjoying him in this part. 

John Travolta was a sight to behold as Robert Shapiro.  Honestly I don't think I have seen him better in a very long time.

Courtney B. Vance next to Paulson Vance is actor that most impresses me.  He is incredible as Johnnie Cochran.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

So apparently the show just premiered in the UK on Monday. I was viewing a UK forum and reading reactions to it and like.... 80% of the posts were "why didn't they get Idris Elba for this?"  Made me laugh seeing that, given my own rants about that.

They as a nation don't know OJ nearly as well as us, but I imagine even seeing him in The Naked Gun might have been enough to leave that impression of a big, charismatic, yet possibly dangerous man.

Oh, there was some link on that UK forum to a piece that said that Robert Kardashian is intended to be the hero of the story. At least David Schwimmer (who was interviewed in the article) thinks so.  

So apparently the show just premiered in the UK on Monday. I was viewing a UK forum and reading reactions to it and like.... 80% of the posts were "why didn't they get Idris Elba for this?"

Because OJ is an Amer-I-can!

You didn't see Timothy Hutton or Robby Benson playing Harold Abrahams in Chariots of Fire.

Edited by Constantinople

"Basic cable" does not mean what it used to. Mad Men was on Basic Cable. Breaking Bad was. The Walking Dead is still on Basic Cable. It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Fargo. I mean was Martin Freeman less of a big star (or less in demand) last year than Idris Elba is now? 

As far as the Brits name checking Idris because he's British? I don't think that was the reason. He's a big guy. He's charismatic, but also a bit rough. Things CGJ isn't. Were their notions of an alternate likely shaped by who they knew best? Sure. But the very NEED for an alternate didn't IMO have much to do with anyone's nationality.

Edited by Kromm

Travolta has too much bulkiness for me to buy him as Shapiro, who was a much smaller framed man.  My choice for the role, both in looks and size, is Steve Carell.  He and Shapiro share quite a resemblance, IMO.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=steve+carell

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=robert+shapiro

As far as OJ, I'd rather see Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=dwayne+johnson

or Rick Fox

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=rick+fox

I like Nathan Lane as F. Lee Bailey, but his voice is off for the character.  Will give him a pass, however, because he does at least look the part.

• Love 3

I don't care for Nathan Lane as F. Lee Bailey. He looks like Nathan Lane, sounds like Nathan Lane and acts like Nathan Lane. It was like he didn't even try.

Interms of looks, Sterling K. Brown as Chris Darden is spot on. I don't remember enough about Darden's voice or mannerisms to compare those, but facially, they could be twins.

I’m surprised that Geraldo Rivera isn’t listed in the cast. Larry King is. I tuned in every night to see Geraldo, who devoted his whole show to the case. That was where I became a fan of Gerry Spence. I can’t imagine a story about the OJ trial without all the media characters – perhaps they refused to sign releases?

• Love 1

I’m surprised that Geraldo Rivera isn’t listed in the cast. Larry King is. I tuned in every night to see Geraldo, who devoted his whole show to the case. That was where I became a fan of Gerry Spence. I can’t imagine a story about the OJ trial without all the media characters – perhaps they refused to sign releases?

Wait. Are you under the impression that the people we are seeing represented in this have signed releases?  Remember, this would include OJ himself. Every Kardashian (or in the case of Robert his estate). All of the lawyers. All of the cops. The judge (who's coming up soon). People like Faye Resnick and Kato Kaelin.  And many many more.

That's just not how it works with non-fiction dramatizations. Releases are for circumstances where the actual real person appears. And even there you wouldn't need one for something where you got the rights through some other avenue (which is, for example, why we no doubt saw the NBC footage--someone made a deal there but I'm sure didn't have to go get a separate release from Tom Brokaw). 

A comparable (if less savory) parallel... have you seen (or even heard of) the many "Unauthorized" TV movies they've made on the making of various TV shows (Saved By The Bell. Beverley Hills 90210, Full House, etc.)  Thats the same thing. Nobody got releases from the people portrayed in those.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

OK, if releases are irrelevant, why the exclusion of some people? Geraldo was famously summoned by Judge Ito for a 30-minute meeting, where Ito (allegedly) asked how things were going. Is this show going to portray Ito as less of a famewhore?

• Love 1

Tunia, on 17 Feb 2016 - 12:46 AM, said:

Travolta has too much bulkiness for me to buy him as Shapiro, who was a much smaller framed man.  My choice for the role, both in looks and size, is Steve Carell.  He and Shapiro share quite a resemblance, IMO.

Absolutely. It's bugged me for years that Travolta has continued to get roles when he's well beyond his "fighting weight" - the slim figure he had when he was sex symbol in "Grease," "Saturday Night Fever," etc., mainly because any actress who was carrying around that kind of extra weight would not be getting any such roles (unless they called for a "fat" actress). It's such a double standard. I bet Sarah Paulson wouldn't have been cast as Marcia Clark if she was carrying around 40 extra pounds (or if she had she would have been told to lose that weight and quick).

In one of the scenes where Travolta was sitting down reading, you could really see how large his midsection is and it totally took me out of the story because Robert Shapiro was not such a big guy.

• Love 3