Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E05: Foreign Bodies

Lance's advise at the beginning wasn't very helpful - build suspense and design from your life experience. His slime advise was much better.

Walter and Johnny's: Vee described it best, just a beret on his head. And a drill bit in his chest.

Mel and Melissa's was very creepy and I loved the colors.

Katie and Robert's was just plain bad. It was better before Robert tried to fix the seam.

Rob and Caleb's looked better from the back then the front.

Anna and Yvonne's was too semetrical.

I love Tardigrades!

I've always wondered how much time transpires between the end of last looks and judging. Does anyone know? Do the models just wait there? I remember on season, a tree creature fell apart between last looks and judging.

• Love 1

No one seemed to think that having the parasite eating its way out of the chest area would be a good idea.

I'm only starting to get an idea of who some of the Face-testants are. No clue as to who stands out individually. Another team? Glad no one deserved the special immunity card.

Robert and Katie's latex headpiece with the seam was a bad idea. Maybe conceal it as a scar. Nope, just a coloured rubber shower cap. Robert's shtick is getting a bit tiring as it's one-note.

Yep, name the parasite thingie. The orange ill-fitting and stretched out beret was also bad.

Many of the contestants don't have tons of life experience or even as much of a point of view so Lance's suggestions went over their heads. Maybe he should have channelled some of 'Millennium's' Frank Black.

Unfortunate that the judges wasted perfectly good slime and not use it on the bad looks.

• Love 4

Another stink-bomb of a challenge. I don't think any team realized what to me is an obvious fact: If the parasite is coming out of your head, it has to burst the skull, not just push aside skin. That one fact (and the fact that none of the judges mentioned it - they're usually all over that shit) really put me off this episode.

When Robert was teamed with Katie again I automatically figured they would be in the bottom before they even started. He's an interesting character, but his schtick is getting old, and he doesn't seem to have as much talent as I gave him credit for originally.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 7

The models just never stop selling their characters. Poor Megan (I think that's her name) doing her best, acting her heart out while the judges kept (justifiably) ripping Katie and Robert's mess. It was like she was trying to fix all the problems with sheer will. I love the models (and watch to see which contestants thank them. I always feel warmer toward those who do).   

Lance Henriksen seems like a very nice man. He had fun judging the slime and did a good job. 

• Love 10

I really loved the spotlight challenge and hearing the different materials that each team used to make their slime. Who knew that veterinary lubricant would be so useful? I also loved that everyone (including the models) seemed to be having a great time as the slime was hurled for judging. But I was annoyed when McKenzie mentioned that this was the first foundation challenge of the season. Dude, it's the FIFTH episode. We should have had at least two or three by now!

The elimination was a no brainer because that really did look like a hat (and a sock full of rocks, as one of the judges said). Even more unforgivable, that seam was visible even in the long shots. I agree that Megan was still doing her damndest to sell the character, which I really appreciate. I loved when Vee started giggling after Robert said their worm was named Hans and then Glenn said, "Of course it is."

I really liked Mel and Melissa's big blue worm with the discarded head pooled up on the shoulder but I agree that Rob and Kaleb's worm busting out from the back of the neck was good too. Of course, considering how lackluster the other three teams did, the top two were really obvious.

Ugh, next week there are nine contestants so does that mean they'll be working in teams of three or can we get another individual challenge?

Vee's description of Johnny and Walter's was accurate - orange beret! I also agreed with Glenn when he said that they spent too much time on the gimmick of the drill/spinning bit and not enough time on the forms.

Anna and Yvonne's had several problems: the symmetry down the middle of the face, the non-bursting, and the smushiness of the fat. I also didn't like the way the bursting side of the mouth was open.

• Love 3

Hate to be THAT person, but tardigrades aren't parasites. Otherwise, this was a cool challenge that didn't pay off much. Most of the artists didn't seem to really get the concept besides the two top teams. And although there was only one chest burster, to me, that still looked like exactly what it was. A rubber jellyfish mounted on a drill.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 5

"And although there was only one chest burster, to me, that still looked like exactly what it was. A rubber jellyfish mounted on a drill."

Exactly. If they had actually had it thrust out of the chest rather than just sit and spin it would have been much better.

Echoing everyone else #1 Booooo continuing team challenges and #2 The top looks were very clear to all.

[sad, pathetic] And Matt still looked cute even when exactly half his face was turned into melty fat. [/sad, pathetic]

Edited by Monty9
  • Love 1

I kind of liked this episode.  It was clear who the losers were, although I did not think that Anna and Yvonne's was that bad - they were dealing with Quilt Fairy's issue, of showing a parasitic infection bursting from the skin without dealing with having to show shards of bone everywhere.  Thought the whirling worm was interesting but not effective in the long run.  TA Son has taken to calling Mel the "Anti-Nora" because she seems to delight in freaking out when there is nothing to freak out about -it's wearing thin.  

Anywho, glad to see McKenzie's knees are still doing OK in their fight to be free. 

• Love 3

I normally love the challenge ideas, but I wasn't enthused about this one. I was worried that it seemed rather limiting, and in terms of how the teams visualized and executed their creatures, I was right. Top two were pretty good, and obvious choices. Wasn't surprised to see Katie go at all. We're still wading through the middling skill contestants. I agree with Robert being up next. He isn't as good as I thought he was, or he thinks he is. The misapplied edges seem to get worse every week. As in glaring bad and obvious. And I've gotta agree on Mel, too. God, the freaking out is grating. There's always one. I was really hoping for a much better episode if LH was going to be there. Maybe next time.

Katie's work in her first solo effort last week was dreadful and then, this week, she chirps "This is only the second time I've ever made a cowl, and the first time all by myself!" And she certainly didn't endear herself to me when, after delivering that information, she was shown bobbing around Robert making critical comments and resisting his ideas. I wanted to find out who was responsible for casting her and send them a stern email. It's a waste of everyone's time to cast people who so obviously cannot perform the basics of their art, let alone do creative, excellent work under time pressure.

I was relieved to see her go, even if I did get a headache from the involuntary massive eye roll that followed her little exit speech. So she's proud of her work? Why?

• Love 4
The elimination was a no brainer because that really did look like a hat (and a sock full of rocks, as one of the judges said). Even more unforgivable, that seam was visible even in the long shots.

It wouldn't have been nearly as bad without the paint job with the mismatched face and headpiece. That was one of the most deserved eliminations I've seen in a while.

I love this show and the overall positive vibes it projects, compared to other competitive reality shows. 

However, the talent level has not been impressive this season.  I think the reason everyone is being forced to work in teams, is because they knew without help, these people do not have the chops to produce good work by themselves.

Usually, by this point in the season, someone's make up blows me away and I start to have favorites.  This year I turn the show off, before they kick someone off, because I honestly do not care. 

Even with the team efforts, the makeups have been disappointing.

You know the show is in trouble when they resort to making fun of the German guy's accent for entertainment.

• Love 6

The best part of this episode was Lance, and the slime-making challenge. The worst part ? Everything else. Neither the creativity nor the skill were there... and the winning looks would have ended up in the safe zone, at best, during any previous season.

• Love 1

I was really, REALLY hoping we would get a twofer and they would have eliminated both Robert and Katie.

I think I would have switched Johnny and Walter for Anna and Yvonne.

Can someone help me figure out who Yvonne reminds me of?  I've nailed just about everyone else, from Mel's Young Lea Delaria to Anna's Desperately Seeking Susan-era Madonna, but there's someone I keep seeing when I'm looking at Yvonne, but I just can't quite get all the way there.

• Love 2

Any professionally informed people here abouts who could explain why Katie and Robert's cowl edge became SO much worse as the episode continued?  As Glen said that was perhaps the worst edge we've seen in the whole history of the show.  Ideas about what they did wrong, what they might have done to correct it? 

Another horrible episode, but that may be because I really don't like gore make-ups. We finally got a Foundation Challenge, but it bored me to tears. I not a fan of slime either, so that may be why. I even skipped the whole Nickelodeon Slime Time era. Childish snickers over a vet lube mention was about as much enthusiasm as I could muster. While I love Lance Henriksen as Bishop, seeing him this old really made me uncomfortable for some odd reason.

While I agree with the judges for the top looks, the winner, and with who they sent home, I think that drill monstrosity should have been in the bottom looks as well. I think I hated it even more than the loosing team's disaster. Though I was mildly amused by Neville(?) sticking his finger in it. I'm also over Robert naming his creations. Actually, I'm just over Robert entirely. While the bifurcated man was more of a metamorphosis instead of an eruption, it at least looked decent. And while Team Mel's creation looked good, it also looked very cartoony, especially the deflated/melted human head. Finally, did I hear Glenn refer to its labia folds? [insert tween snickering here]

there's someone I keep seeing when I'm looking at Yvonne

Maybe a darker haired Molly Ringwald?

Any professionally informed people here abouts who could explain why Katie and Robert's cowl edge became SO much worse as the episode continued?  As Glen said that was perhaps the worst edge we've seen in the whole history of the show.  Ideas about what they did wrong, what they might have done to correct it? 

I'm not an expert (not even online), but it looked like it slid around to me. They would have to trim down the edges and glue them on better. More liquid latex might have helped. Robert did suggest cover it up with a band-aid, though that wouldn't have been enough for the entire length of the seam that became obvious. Maybe cover it up with some wrinkles, boils, or other blemishes to break up the long line. Or maybe add a second seam so it looked like the entire top of the head was ripping off and falling backwards.

• Love 1

I think I heard one of them say in a talking head that the headpiece was too heavy, which was why it kept slipping down and causing that big wrinkle (i.e. edge).

Lance's advise at the beginning wasn't very helpful - build suspense and design from your life experience. His slime advise was much better.

I laughed when he said this.  What sort of life experiences would someone have that are similar to having any alien or parasite break through your skin? A splinter that worked its way out on its own?

Then he "tasted" the slime and I wondered if he wasn't trying to be funny when he said to use life experience with the challenge.

Another stink-bomb of a challenge. I don't think any team realized what to me is an obvious fact: If the parasite is coming out of your head, it has to burst the skull, not just push aside skin. That one fact (and the fact that none of the judges mentioned it - they're usually all over that shit) really put me off this episode.

That is what I thought when I saw Mel/Melanie's, but then they explained that they parasite had slowly taken over the body until it finally breaks through the skin.  I imagined it growing over the skeleton, under the skin, until it burst through - and it would make sense that if would burst at the top of the head, since there is no padding and the skin on the scalp is tighter than on the rest of the body.

I can understand them not going for the alien busting out of the stomach, as it is the classic approach, but there are plenty of other places for an alien to break through than the head.  

• Love 2

I could have gone for either of the top two teams for the win. I loved the color on Mel and Melissa's, but there was just so much work on Rob and Whosits, and it was decently (no really fabulously) done.

Dang. Lance Henrickson looked OLD. Man. Makes me feel like I'm getting really old, too!

Can someone help me figure out who Yvonne reminds me of?  I've nailed just about everyone else, from Mel's Young Lea Delaria to Anna's Desperately Seeking Susan-era Madonna, but there's someone I keep seeing when I'm looking at Yvonne, but I just can't quite get all the way there.

Yvonne looks like Alanis Morisette! And they're both from Canada! hahah

• Love 1

Can someone help me figure out who Yvonne reminds me of? I've nailed just about everyone else, from Mel's Young Lea Delaria to Anna's Desperately Seeking Susan-era Madonna, but there's someone I keep seeing when I'm looking at Yvonne, but I just can't quite get all the way there.

Amy Brenneman (Judging Amy, Private Practice & The Leftovers).

I noticed the show changed out Megan's picture. I miss the old one of her cheerfully grinning.

I'm tired of the team challenges too, but this is also the weakest crop of contestants ever and I think the show is afraid of having that exposed via individual challenges. The rationale is that with two there's the possibility of them doing better work than apart, while flaws can be blamed on conflicts between the team members rather than lack of ability (and they can eliminate all the weakest people before the individual challenges really start). It's not working, though. There's nobody who stands out for me. The wins are looks that would be merely safe on previous seasons. The show just cannot do another batch of new contestants next season; it needs to be a season of returning contestants. (And Emily can pick up her win.)

Being teamed with Robert is the kiss of death. How many times is that dude going to be on the bottom, but get to continue in the competition? He did make the seam worse, but it was more than that. He did very little else. I guess that is how you skate through. Do little work, so all failures can be blamed on your team mate. Oh, and have a schtick. Ugh. So over this dude.

• Love 1