Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Jordan Baker said:

I haven't seen much coverage of his entrance. I would have thought it might be the subject of some ridicule because it was so over-the-top.

Wonder how FnF or Mika would have covered the entrance had it been Obama instead of Trump.

It might have been too late for MJ but Queen tweeted that the use of "We are the Champions" was unauthorised.

I've been trying to figure out who Joe's pompadoured and lensed look reminded me of. Waldo!image.png

• Love 2

Oh I almost forgot that Joe made some comment about how "we all saw Hamilton" and proceeded to make a reference to it that nobody got. I swear he was just Hamilton-bragging.

• Love 3

Yeah like the dumbass that only realized Prince was culturally relevant when he drove by a line for the movie Purple Rain and saw white people in it could wrap his head around Hamilton is a hoot.  Even if his anecdote about the movie line was another of his fantasies, it still speaks to what eh clearly thought was a deep and profound realization.  Since we also knew Mika saw it and thought it was long and boring, I suspect she was merely uttering Scarborough's opinion on the matter but Scarborough will never step away from something that has the mix of cultural impetus and social entry as seeing Hamilton might suggest to his viewers (just a brag but seen it! )

• Love 5

Wednesday recap. Joe is still wearing his blue fleece. Mika is wearing a a black checkered shirt & sweater. Joe is bragging that he was right about Trump. Joe is now bragging that he knew that Melania's speech was plagiarized. Mika called Manafort Lurch. Barnicle is supposed to give Mika a truck today.

• Love 2

Mika looks like she should have pigtails and a piece of straw in hour mouth. Hope we don't have to suffer through truck-excitement. I probably shouldn't say "we" 'cuz I can't take much more.

• Love 3

Tee hee, y'all have covered the last few days masterfully I see.  @Landsnark, even it the show didn't bring up Mr. Mexicans Have Cantaloupe Calves, Rep Steve KIng (R) IA, his shitshow about Europeans (which he subsequently corrected to Western Civilization keeping the racism intact) he had right in April Ryan's face did get covered on "late night" MSNBC.

I hate Chris Christie, I see all on set are still big fans though.  It slays me that he's prosecuting anyone at the moment with all the birdies singing about Bridgegate.

And I'm ashamed that I agree with Me-eka this morning, she's spot on - it was the kids that were supposed to vet Melania's speech, which makes me wonder a bit since there was infighting between the children and Melania about the selection of Pence.  My guess is that Melania may have developed a relationship with Mary Pat Christie and there was no way son-in-law Jared Kushner (Ivanka) was going to allow Christie on the ticket because Christie humiliated his father in prosecuting and convicting him.  There is no excuse though, for Manafort's team not running that speech though google or one of the plagiarism tools before it got loaded into the teleprompter.  tRump's organization is wholly unprofessional and I remain terrified of tRump and his kids running this country.

• Love 7

It must be hard being a Trump child.

Having to twist yourself into a ridiculous pretzel to embrace a crazy political party you're not part of.  Hell, two of them weren't even registered republicans in time to vote in the NY primary.

• Love 4
On 7/19/2016 at 4:49 AM, Landsnark said:

I'm listening to sports talk radio right now and they are doing 20 minutes on making fun of Melania plagiarizing Michelle Obama.   But yeah, those who support Trump won't care.  Makes no difference.

The Trump supporters care when you frame it as "you had to steal from the black woman because you weren't smart enough". Sorry but I'm enjoying trolling them a little.

• Love 5

I'm not sure but I could swear I heard Andrea Mitchell comment this morning that someone really needs to correct the misinformation that Trump continues speechify.

Uh, hello, Andrea??? That would be you! And all the rest of the media! 

I think they should get rid of that ridiculous "Breaking News" chyron and replace it with a Politifact chyron. Or something. It can't be that hard when lies are repeated so often. Could almost have a loop. Or a Politifact closed-captioning type thing.

Let's face it, the media ain't doing its job and MJ is perhaps the worst of the lot. 

And Trump's not the only one needing checking, he just seems, to me, to be a top offender.

• Love 10
22 hours ago, Maire said:

Are these two just packing one suitcase now and sharing clothes? They look ridiculous especially when others are dressed professionally.

It's even better today. Mika & Joe are both wearing tan pants & blue tops. Joe is still wearing his blue fleece.

Joe bragged that he spoke to Trump off the record this week.. Joe doesn't like Cruz's speeches.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, NewDigs said:

I think they should get rid of that ridiculous "Breaking News" chyron and replace it with a Politifact chyron. Or something. It can't be that hard when lies are repeated so often. Could almost have a loop. Or a Politifact closed-captioning type thing.

MJ should have a chryon fact checker, but the poor intern would get carpal tunnel within a week with the people they bring on. It would look like the SNL parody of Fox & Friends and scroll of corrections at the end of the segment.

• Love 2

Setting aside Cruz's politics and wormy, creepy personality aside, it is quite telling that the Morning Joe crowd seemed so appalled at a guy who had the audacity to refuse to kowtow and kiss Trump's ass. Suppose Kasich or Romney had given a similar speech to vote your conscience - a fairly uncontroversial position - would these people be so appalled or disgusted?

Maybe they would have - because as political hacks they believe towing the party line is a virtue. Or maybe they wouldn't - in which case they're letting their dislike of Cruz get in the way.

• Love 10
29 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Setting aside Cruz's politics and wormy, creepy personality aside, it is quite telling that the Morning Joe crowd seemed so appalled at a guy who had the audacity to refuse to kowtow and kiss Trump's ass. Suppose Kasich or Romney had given a similar speech to vote your conscience - a fairly uncontroversial position - would these people be so appalled or disgusted?

Maybe they would have - because as political hacks they believe towing the party line is a virtue. Or maybe they wouldn't - in which case they're letting their dislike of Cruz get in the way.

Sort of the way they are constantly letting their obvious dislike of Secretary Clinton get in the way.

Are they as appalled and disgusted by the tenor of this shit show called the RNC convention?  The personal attacks?  The demands for Secretary Clinton's arrest and even going so far as accusing her of treason and deserving to be shot in front of a firing squad?  It's been a regular old hate-fest.  I just can't with these people.

Just because they, the embarrassingly thirsty Christie and others are reduced to licking Trump's boots and being his testicle carriers for months doesn't mean everyone else should.  The GOP is in bad shape if a detestable figure like Cruz looks like a profile in courage.  Revenge is a dish best served cold and Lucifer's representative on earth served it last night.  Trump insulted Cruz' wife on more than one occasion and more than implied that the senior Cruz had something to do with President Kennedy's assassination.  Expecting Cruz to endorse Trump is like being shocked--shocked, I tell you!--when a snake does what it's supposed to do:  bite.  It's yet another example of the ineptitude of Trump, his kids (who are supposedly running shit), and whoever put this disastrous reality show together.  It's an example of how they will run the country.  How could they not have known what Cruz would say beforehand?  It's like inviting a jilted lover to your wedding only for him to stand up and object.

• Love 9
31 minutes ago, MulletorHater said:

The GOP is in bad shape if a detestable figure like Cruz looks like a profile in courage.

This should have been the first thing out of Joe Scarborough's mouth this morning. Does he really have so little regard for the party to which he belongs?

I'm more anxious to hear how he reacts to Trump's speech than I am the speech itself. Have Joe and Donald kissed and made up? If so, it won't matter how ridiculous Trumps's comments are, Joe will stand and applaud them (as will Mika, of course).

• Love 3

Well, they did imply at the end that Trump probably set Cruz up - Cruz was upfront with Trump that he wouldn't endorse him and Trump knew that the crowd would turn on him. 

I am just disgusted how this team seemed to act as if Cruz engaged in an act of treason. 

The demands for Secretary Clinton's arrest and even going so far as accusing her of treason and deserving to be shot in front of a firing squad?  

Actually they did criticize Christie's speech on Clinton as excessive. And the remark about Clinton getting shot didn't strictly happen at the Convention.

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Well, they did imply at the end that Trump probably set Cruz up - Cruz was upfront with Trump that he wouldn't endorse him and Trump knew that the crowd would turn on him. 

I am just disgusted how this team seemed to act as if Cruz engaged in an act of treason. 

Actually they did criticize Christie's speech on Clinton as excessive. And the remark about Clinton getting shot didn't strictly happen at the Convention.

Is it true that Heidi Cruz had to be hustled out of there because there were concerns about her safety?  It was like watching WWE instead of a political convention.

As for Joe & Co.'s criticism of Christie's speech, will wonders never cease?  I have to take their criticism with a grain of salt though considering how they couldn't even hide their disappointment upon learning that Secretary Clinton wasn't going to be indicted.  I'm also reminded that for months, Joe and his wannabe Bond villainness could barely contain their excitement at the prospect that Clinton would be indicted.  I guess in that alternate universe they live in, just because they predicted it means that it was bound to happen.

• Love 6

Mrs Cruz was probably hustled out of there out of a concern for optics rather than her physical safety.  A camera shot lingering on her bewildered, frightened face as the hyenas barked around her would've perhaps been the visual that led every news segment today.

The Trumpkins admit they knew that Cruz wasn't going to support Trump, and that their daddy wanted Cruz to speak because he's so welcoming and magnanimous.  God only knows what the truth is.  Truth, as we're finding out hourly, has NO bearing on anything involving the Trump Presidential bid.  Not tangentially.  But everyone else is a liar.
Last night's topic was to be on jobs.  The main takeaways from the night were that furiously angry old white men want to kill Hillary Clinton and they want you to feel the same way. 
#'murica!

• Love 6
On July 20, 2016 at 2:14 AM, revbfc said:

I just can't get over how emotionally drained Joe and Mika look this election cycle.

Maybe it's their lurrvvve affair that's draining them. Plus coordinating their outfits must be tiring in the mornings. 

• Love 6

I don't normally comment on this show, but I do lurk and laugh in this thread. Yesterday, all I could think of when I saw the show was the both of them looking like two book ends. They were dressed, and sitting/posing alike. Are they really dating? 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Crankybroad said:

Why are they wearing giant "C's" on their chests? 

• Because they're Clueless?
  • Hers is for Chris and his is for Christie?
  • Because they're saying "C? We told you Trump was great."?

OK, all kidding aside, I watched just enough this morning to feel even more concerned (another C word!) than I already was. It looked as though the audience was on Joe's side as he bloviated. I didn't stick around look enough to confirm my suspicions.

Is this joker going to be our next president?

Catastrophe.

• Love 10
(edited)
17 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

OK, all kidding aside, I watched just enough this morning to feel even more concerned (another C word!) than I already was. It looked as though the audience was on Joe's side as he bloviated. I didn't stick around look enough to confirm my suspicions.

Catastrophe.

I heard Joe say that everyone is scared, watching their 401k's disappearing.  What???  Our 401k nearly evaporated at the end of Shrubbie's term, and under Pres. Obama it has grown "huuuuuugely'.  It's looking pretty damn good.  And we're retired now, so if anyone should be scared, it's us, and we most definitely are not; not right now, anyway. What does frighten the hell out of me, however, is what might happen to it under tRump.  I can't even go there in my head. 

Edited by Ladyrain
point clarification
  • Love 10
19 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

Catastrophe.

C = catastrophe.  You nailed it; another C word. Too bad they aren't in, say, Denver, with D's on their clothes... for Dumb and Dumber. (No offense to Denverites, just throwing shade at those two).

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

C = catastrophe.  You nailed it; another C word. Too bad they aren't in, say, Denver, with D's on their clothes... for Dumb and Dumber. (No offense to Denverites, just throwing shade at those two).

Mika & Joe wearing  matching Cleveland Indians fleece! Joe liked Trump's speech & told the audience that he knew all along that Trump would give a speech like that.

Joe crowed that the CNN poll showed that 50% thought the speech was positive.

The panel wanted Trump to have specific solutions for his promises.

Joe mocked Obama saying that the oceans would stop rising once he was elected.

Mika is very reluctant to argue with Joe for the past few weeks. I wonder why?

• Love 3

Ok Barnicle. In talking about the autistic caregiver who was shot by police in Florida he said "we just don't know what happened. We just don't know. We can't say what happened"

Hello Barnicle ?  We just watched a video of the event and heard a police spokesman read an explanation of the cops perspective. We do know almost exactly what happened it just doesn't make sense. 

Barnicle- No need to open your pie hole and speak random phrases. Just sit there and look pretty. 

• Love 4

Huh. It looks like they did repeat the 6:00am segment at 8.

That guy from the Christian Broadcasting Network just confirmed what I've thought for years - the evangelical "leadership" is just in the tank for the GOP, no matter who they put up. And I'm not talking about Trump's number of marriages. I'm talking about how he has treated people and what he's said about them on this campaign and in the past. Nor do I think Trump's position on immigration jibes with the belief of many religious people - I remember churches and synagogues coming to the aid to those kids who came up from Central America a few summers ago without parents. 

On paper a woman who stuck with a husband who had publicly humiliated her, would fit the bill for these evangelical types (don't those evangelical types seem to think that's a woman's place?) . But she would never get their backing. Her very involvement in the process offends them.

I'm not talking about evangelical people. I'm talking about people like Tony Perkins and the Focus on the Family people and other "leaders."

• Love 7
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Mika & Joe wearing  matching Cleveland Indians fleece! Joe liked Trump's speech & told the audience that he knew all along that Trump would give a speech like that.

Joe crowed that the CNN poll showed that 50% thought the speech was positive.

The panel wanted Trump to have specific solutions for his promises.

Joe mocked Obama saying that the oceans would stop rising once he was elected.

Mika is very reluctant to argue with Joe for the past few weeks. I wonder why?

She doesn't like sleeping on the couch?

• Love 5
(edited)

I was puzzled by the entire panel's condemnation of Cruz from the other night.  Donald Trump caused this to happen.  Actions have consequences.  He personally attacked Cruz' family.  The blow back of that is inevitable.  You don't get to swing wildly as a bully without sometimes getting hit back.  I'm actually astonished that nobody simply observed this basic idea.
Cruz wouldn't have retaliated if Trump had not slung mud so easily.

And to be furtherly redundant... Trump caused Cruz to become unwilling to aid him.  That happened in the real world, on the literal biggest stage in campaign politics.  Coalition building is a real thing.  Diplomacy is real.  The nuances of politicking and earning respect have meaning.  Trump couldn't get all his party's leaders to back him due to his outrageous behavior, and these are people with a vested interest in supporting Trump.  England, Germany, Russian, Iran, Mexico, China, Saudi Arabia... these are potentially antagonistic parties with their own interests and have no reason to suffer through indignities.  Let alone the State Department, intelligence, military, governors, etc...
I cannot believe that Joe didn't remark upon that, especially in light of "this has never happened before."  He says it has never happened before and puts it at Cruz' feet.  He should lay responsibility where it belongs, at Trump's feet.
Kasich will give Ohio to Hillary.  That's Trump's fault too.

Edited by Landsnark
  • Love 12
(edited)
4 hours ago, NewDigs said:

Joe has been almost fanatical in his excoriation of Cruz's failure to endorse Trump.  He kept repeating that this has Never. Ever. Happened. Before. Ever. Ever.

But no less than Ronald Reagan spoke at the 1976 RNC and refused to endorse Ford

Did Mika get her frikkin' truck? And, if so, was it presented on-air? (please say no please say no)

Agreed! Joe is hilarious. A couple of days ago, he said that he knew everybody in Washington & had no clue who Paul Manafort was when Trump hired him. Joe believes that politics began in 1994 hen he was elected to Congress.

Joe likes to believe he is at the center of US politics! All Hail o Mighty Fleecy one & his new Queen Mika !

Edited by oakville
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Wow. Doesn't seem like there was a call between them. Geez, what nerve for an elective official to say, "This must stop." And what kind of loser is Chuck Todd to intervene on DWS's behalf over his own colleague?

The backroom shenanigans of the interaction between political officials & Mika & Joe are fascinating. I never thought that DWS would take Mika seriously. Does Chuck Todd have any say over what Mika should say about her?

I know that Joe ordered Mika not to ask Trump tough questions on one of their town halls.

• Love 1
(edited)
21 hours ago, NewDigs said:

Joe has been almost fanatical in his excoriation of Cruz's failure to endorse Trump.  He kept repeating that this has Never. Ever. Happened. Before. Ever. Ever.

But no less than Ronald Reagan spoke at the 1976 RNC and refused to endorse Ford

Did Mika get her frikkin' truck? And, if so, was it presented on-air? (please say no please say no)

Barnicle said that the truck was in NYC but he will make it available to Mika on Monday in Philadelphia. Mika wanted a Ford F150 truck & she got a Ford hat. Barnicle bought her a Toyota Landcruiser. Is it new?

I can't wait for Monday's show. Will Mika & Joe get a change of clothes for Philly?

Will Mika be sad that Elizabeth Warren wasn't picked for VP?

Will Joe brag that he was right that Hillary would pick Tim Kaine over any progressive Democrat?

I noticed that Mika was holding Joe's arm during their interview of Hayley Barbour last week. They were discussing Joe's sons wedding & Mika implied that she was there.

When will Mika & Joe declare their love for one another? It reminds me of the show Moonlighting with Maddie & David.

Edited by oakville
New info on Mika's Truck.
  • Love 1
(edited)

As a preview to Monday's show, Joe is on Twitter enthusing about the Kaine pick. He thinks it's great.

I hadn't been on his Twitter page for a long time (if ever) and didn't realize he uses RFK as an avator. Oh SPARE ME.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Landsnark said:

I'm embarrassed for DWS that she had to react to an irresponsible simpleton like Mika, and it got exposed for us all to observe.

I wonder if Mika will address the issue on Monday. Does Chuck Todd have the power to reprimand Mika for not supporting DWS?

http://www.salon.com/2016/07/22/dnc_emails_wasserman_schultz_furiously_pressured_msnbc_after_it_criticized_her_unfair_treatment_of_sanders/

9 hours ago, Mumbles said:

I hope the Toyota Land cruiser was a joke. The MSRP for that is $80K+.

Still, a truck. It's fun when wealthy people make bets. Hee hee hee.

Mika should donate the truck to charity. Aren't gambling profits taxable?

• Love 2

I think Chuck has a title, "political director." Not sure if that gives him any power over Mika.

The big story will be the Kaine pick. Not sure how much legs this DNC leak has, other than the political junkies (whom they claim is their main audience.)

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

I think Chuck has a title, "political director." Not sure if that gives him any power over Mika.

The big story will be the Kaine pick. Not sure how much legs this DNC leak has, other than the political junkies (whom they claim is their main audience.)

The DNC Leak could affect Bernie's support for Hillary. This should be a topic for Morning Joe. If Mika & Joe show up in matching tan pants & Fleece , I might freak out. Mika should go back to wearing nice dresses. It's the DNC convention. She should dress up. Joe will probably look like a slob.

They were pretty much look alike slobs all last week. Kind of insulting.

Dress up for an $80k truck? 

And there's big national news to cover?

Pfft.

I'm not sure Bernie's support could be much reduced. And would this crew even notice?

With news that Wasserman-Schultz is going to resign after the convention and will likely not get a speaking spot, I think they will have to address the story now.  If Chuck Todd wasn't involved, I would expect a victory lap from Mika, who in a rare turn of events, has turned out to be correct.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

With news that Wasserman-Schultz is going to resign after the convention and will likely not get a speaking spot, I think they will have to address the story now.  If Chuck Todd wasn't involved, I would expect a victory lap from Mika, who in a rare turn of events, has turned out to be correct.

Kudos to Mika!. She was right & DWS should apologize to her for trying to prevent her from speaking about the favouritism that DWS showed to Hillary. Chuck Todd said on the MTP that he is in charge of the complaints department at NBC. Chuck did not say what he discussed with Mika as a result of DWS's complaints.

20 hours ago, NewDigs said:

They were pretty much look alike slobs all last week. Kind of insulting.

Dress up for an $80k truck? 

And there's big national news to cover?

Pfft.

I'm not sure Bernie's support could be much reduced. And would this crew even notice?

It's embarrassing to watch Mika now following Joe's poor dressing habits for the show. What's wrong with Joe? Why can't he show up in a suit like everyone else on cable tv?

21 hours ago, Mumbles said:

DWS had to resign as a result of the wiki leaks scandal. Mika was right. This should be the first topic discussed tomorrow.

• Love 1