Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E11: Showcase #1: 1st 12 Performances

• Start Topic

What does "La Mujer del Mundo" mean at the bottom of the screen in Stephany's intro?  I mean, I know what the phrase means, but why was it there?

She was talking about learning different languages, hence becoming a Woman of the World.  There were little titles under all the contestants' intros corresponding to what they were talking about.

I'm going to start calling Thomas Stringfellow Thomas Schtickfellow.  Who's with me?

• Love 1

I hadn't thought of this but I think you're right about the wealth behind Jeneve. Maybe when she mentioned living "off the grid", she forgot to add, "Luckily we can take the jet to our other home or to great vacations whenever and wherever we want." How many instruments were listed that she owns, plays and apparently takes private lessons to learn? Seemed like at least 15 of them, including large and expensive items like a piano and harp.  Must be a very large home, too. Not sure why I assumed she was poor--probably the jeans, although they and the boots were expensive. Smart to present herself as some country bumpkin prodigy rather than someone whose family can and does buy her whatever she wants (just guessing here, but it makes sense. I'll TRY not to hold it against her.)

Yep - the whole thing reminded me of Carrie Underwood when she was on AI.    She got the whole country bumpkin treatment, on her gran'pappy's farm singing to the goats and chickens, hardly ever stepped off the farm.  

Then people found that she had opened for some big country artists in Nashville. Had a website (which quickly disappeared)  listing her appearances, etc.  

the story AI tells always has a kernel of truth in it. 

• Love 2

I confess that's why I can't warm to Sonika.  I suspect she comes from serious money and I want to pretend that there is some supernatural "justice" in the world that the winner will be someone who otherwise couldn't buy their way into show biz.  We all know now that none of the contestants on any of these shows really just fell off the turnip truck but it was fun to pretend back in the day.

ETA I'm not far off according to this article.

Edited by Qoass

Ryan is starting to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger and not in a good way.

JLO (to Emily):  "Your talent is undeniable."

I'm denying it.  She started out of her range and then was painfully flat the entire rest of the time.  She also looked like a deer in the headlights.  Buh-bye.

I hadn't thought of this but I think you're right about the wealth behind Jeneve. Maybe when she mentioned living "off the grid", she forgot to add, "Luckily we can take the jet to our other home or to great vacations whenever and wherever we want."

She's a country bumpkin...if that country is Monaco or the United Arab Emirates (think Dubai) where lots of wealth is hoarded.

• Love 3

In addition to "spatial," I'm pretty sure I also heard Thomas say he was a weasel. And one line seemed to be made up entirely of vowels. Look, I don't need perfect enunciation, but that was awful.

I like James VIII but it wasn't a super dynamic performance and clearly the judges didn't like it, which was a shame. 

Was Emily wearing the same dress she had on during the last solo in Hollywood?  Or does she own multiple black sparkly mini dresses with long see through skirts?

I didn't notice it, but my husband said "Is that the only dress she owns?" So I'm guessing it was in fact the same one.

• Love 2

See ya, Emily.  There was no recovering from that mess.  Not when they cut almost half of them.  I am unspoiled.

If Jeneve hasn't created a solid career in Branson already, there is no justice.  HCJ can kiss my grits for choosing to go after her stylistics as opposed to honoring and praising her musicality, which is unmatched this season, and maybe evah on AI.  Great on JLo for admitting her bias against Jeneve and for being open to appreciating her.

Thomas should also have been cut.  Ridiculously weak voice, covered up by affectations which HCJ inexplicably liked.  No tonality whatsoever the entire iconic song.  If that is the sound 19E is seeking, this is gonna be a truly horrid final season. 

I am really not liking Sprinkles' dressing down yet again. 

• Love 3

In addition to "spatial," I'm pretty sure I also heard Thomas say he was a weasel. And one line seemed to be made up entirely of vowels. Look, I don't need perfect enunciation, but that was awful.

I didn't notice it, but my husband said "Is that the only dress she owns?" So I'm guessing it was in fact the same one.

OMG bwahahahah weasel YES!

And my bf asked why that  one chick was wearing a window treatment for a bedroom.

• Love 1

I liked Lennox's version of "I Put a Spell on You" from her Nostalgia offering, but she covered other songs on that CD that I thought were better.

I first heard the song when Creedence Clearwater Revival performed it, as they did "Heard It through the Grapevine" - but the song originators were better.

Has anyone ever sung Hozier's "Take Me to Church"?  I liked his duet with Lennox on last year's Grammy Award show.

Edited by Christine

I hadn't thought of this but I think you're right about the wealth behind Jeneve. Maybe when she mentioned living "off the grid", she forgot to add, "Luckily we can take the jet to our other home or to great vacations whenever and wherever we want." How many instruments were listed that she owns, plays and apparently takes private lessons to learn? Seemed like at least 15 of them, including large and expensive items like a piano and harp.  Must be a very large home, too. Not sure why I assumed she was poor--probably the jeans, although they and the boots were expensive. Smart to present herself as some country bumpkin prodigy rather than someone whose family can and does buy her whatever she wants (just guessing here, but it makes sense. I'll TRY not to hold it against her.)

I wonder if 'living off the grid' means something different in the U.S. than it does in Canada. There are parts of my country where living off the grid is very popular - not because people can't afford electricty but because it is the lifestyle they prefer. Come to think of it I know poor people but they all have electricity. And those I know who live off the grid are pretty much middle class. My step daughter's ex girlfriend is currently living off the grid in Nova Scotia and she is from a wealthy family and is a trust fund baby. Coincidentally my BFF used to live close to the same area as the ex is, and says living off the grid is quite popular there.

But because Google is my friend I looked up Jeneve's parents and hometown. Her dad is a carpenter and her mom a nurse practioner who runs a local medical clinic. So I hardly think they are poor (at least here an NP a step below an MD)  but also likely not flying anywhere in private jets. Her dad apparently is also her vocal coach (she is homeschooled). In any case I think she is very talented and hope we get to hear her playing a few more instruments before she goes the way of Joey from last year.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 1

I thought we got a lot of midling performances.  Nothing truly memorable and only one total disaster (Emily).  This makes who goes through very subjective.  My own take (from best to worst)

Avalon Young (B+). Not a song I would have chosen, but she’s cool, immediately grabs your attention, is comfortable on stage, and can sing.

Stephany Negrete (B).  Very good vocals on a tough song.  But even though It was her best of the season so far, something still seems to be missing.  I’m wondering if her looks may actually be the problem in that they don’t match the grit in her voice. Too bad they keep treating her like fodder.

La’Porsha Renae (B). Winner of the Tina Turner imitation contest.  How about being a little original next time?

Sonika Vaid (B). Love her voice, but she’s going to have to get over her nerves on stage.  If she had looked slightly more comfortable, I would have ranked this along with Avalon up at the top.

Jenna Renae (B-).  Among the most entertaining of the evening.  A bit shouty, but I don't have a problem with this on that particular song.

MacKenzie Bourg (B-).  I did not like that song for him at all.  He just doesn’t have the vocals to pull it off.  He took all the umph out of it.  My least favorite of his performances so far, though still by far the best of the guys.

Jeneve Rose Mitchell (B-). Perhaps her best vocal performance so far, but I just did not like that arrangement; at all.

Gianna Isabella (C+). Not bad, but paled in comparison to many previous versions of that song done on these shows.

James VIII (C+).  Smooth but perhaps the least entertaining performance of the evening.  Another one who took all the umph out of his song.

Thomas Stringfellow ©. He still sounds like a squeaky door to me and was pitchy in places as well.  He got one thing right, he doesn’t belong here. But given all the love from the coaches, I’m afraid we’re probably stuck with him for awhile.

Jordan Sasser (C-).  To call that theatrical is an understatement. It was also pitchy.

Emily Brooke (D). An unredeemable mess

The five I would eliminate are Emily, Jordan, Thomas, James and Jeneve.

The five I think the coaches will eliminate are Emily, Jordan, James, Stephany and Jenna.

Has anyone ever sung Hozier's "Take Me to Church"?  I liked his duet with Lennox on last year's Grammy Award show.

I don't remember it having been done on Idol, but it has been done a couple of times on The Voice, including a very good version from Matt McAndrew a couple of seasons ago.

Edited by viajero
  • Love 1

Am I the only person here who is old enough to remember very young Robby Benson, say, from the "Jeremy" era (I qualify that because, god bless him, he is still around, acting and making music and directing and stuff)?

THAT is who MacKenzie reminds me of (though I see the early John Mayer as well). And I even have Robby Benson's single "Blue Balloon," which he sang and was the theme song from "Jeremy." So I'm with (can't remember who it was) in having that little dirty old lady crush on him because it takes me back to my own early teens when we all swooned over him and that movie. 

• Love 3

Hmmm, there is a similarity PamelaMaeSnap between MacKenzie and Robby Benson. Certainly they are both cute in their own way but they also have an endearing shyness about them. Though I do think Robby Benson was cuter than MacKenzie is. Back in the mid-late 70s during Robby Benson's Ice Castle days my first love/boyfriend was a dead ringer for Robby. So I will always have a soft spot for him. Robby also looks pretty good today I might add. (As does my first love - ha).

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 1

I thought we got a lot of midling performances.  Nothing truly memorable and only one total disaster (Emily).  This makes who goes through very subjective.  My own take (from best to worst)

And that was why I was 98 percent bored. La Porsha got me a little interested in her for the first time, but other than that, these performances were middling. Maybe it's because I'm only really interested in Trent and Dalton (I was kind of interested in Avalon, but she did Beiber.. so.. no.) and neither one of them performed so none of the performances grabbed my completely 100 percent attention (Again only a little interested with La Porsha) but I get the feeling next week will have the better half of the group. 

But because Google is my friend I looked up Jeneve's parents and hometown. Her dad is a carpenter and her mom a nurse practioner who runs a local medical clinic. So I hardly think they are poor (at least here an NP a step below an MD)  but also likely not flying anywhere in private jets. Her dad apparently is also her vocal coach (she is homeschooled). In any case I think she is very talented and hope we get to hear her playing a few more instruments before she goes the way of Joey from last year.

What struck me about her story was that not only do they not have electricity, they also don't have running water. On a ranch. Where their main purpose is "training horses". You may be right--Crawford sounds like an economically depressed place for a lot of people, so I imagine her mother isn't getting rich from owning a health care clinic there (per the Fox article). But --and maybe I'm wrong-- there's something about her story that just doesn't ring true to me, or at least I feel something important (regarding wealth) is missing.  In a phone interview she's kind of vague about the ranch and what her father does.

She also says that, while her father's her vocal coach, she "taught herself" all the instruments: "....the strings: string bass, violin, cello, banjo, guitar and harp."  So was AI wrong that her music teacher and his wife were there to watch her?

Also, this: "I was born in Las Vegas and lived there until I was 7. My parents bought a bunch of property on a mountain near Crawford five years before I was born. My dad grew up near here. When I was 7 we moved here. When we moved here my mom had my dad build her a clinic."  My guess is he does carpentry like Jimmy Carter or Harrison Ford do, as a hobby but not for a living. She's a little vague about the purpose of the ranch--other than "training horses"--but ranches don't run themselves.

Not to belabor it, but I just hate fakeness and--rightly or wrongly--I'm suspecting a big helping of it in Jeneve's story.

http://www.gjsentinel.com/entertainment/articles/grand-finale-crawford-teen-plays-for-famous-americ

Edited by Padma
  • Love 1

Noone has ever portrayed Jeneve as poor. I honestly don't know where people got that idea. Maybe because Harry joked that her Dad hadn't paid the electric bill.

I doubt she had lessons on all those instruments. Maybe she had a piano teacher.

• Love 3

Ryan is starting to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger and not in a good way.

What the fuck was Seacreast wearing?

Is he having a mid-life crisis? That outfit looks it.

I thought he looked disturbingly like David Hasselhoff. I had a sudden image of what Seacrest will look in 30 years after multiple cosmetic 'enhancements'.

*shudder*

Edited by purist

I like James VIII but it wasn't a super dynamic performance and clearly the judges didn't like it, which was a shame.

I just can't root for James VIII BECAUSE he calls himself James VIII.

• Love 3

Seemed like a lot them were being crushed under the weight of Bandzilla. Yikes.

Stephany – This poor girl. She always seems to have to go first. But at least she seems confident enough to handle the pressure. I can’t believe she is only 21, she looks so much older than that. It’s like the judges said, she has a decent enough voice plus the look and confidence to be a popstar, but there’s always something empty about her performances. That being said, I would say this was her strongest performance yet. Jessie J is incredibly tough to sing and I think Stephany did an admirable job. The band was so loud though, she was probably fighting just to be heard. And she had the performance thing down as well. I could see this being performed at an awards show. But yeah, nothing emotionally stirring there exactly.

MacKenzie – Blah. This sounds exactly like what he did last week. I didn’t really care for the way he changed the melody so much either. Sorry, Mac. I like you but this didn’t work for me. Oh well, at least he’s cute to look at while he sings something boring.

Jeneve – A surprisingly good performance from her. I still think she has some major vocal weaknesses to work on but this was easily her best performance yet. I kind of hated the song choice though, this song just makes me think of dead dogs. I felt she was a bit inconsistent throughout. And thank God she ditched that ridiculous cowboy hat.

Jenna Renae – OMG WTF. Now I know why they let this one fly under the radar all season. She too sounded like she was struggling to be heard over the band and this song choice was awful for her. I appreciated her enthusiasm for the performing part but vocally this was not good.

James VIII – Just ok. Cool spin on the song I guess but it didn’t go anywhere. Not a top 24 worthy performance.

Sonika – Beautiful. Great song choice and she sounded absolutely ethereal on it. Her main issue is the performing part, she always looks terrified to be onstage. She needs to find some way to loosen up and I think at some point she needs to take on an upbeat number. Overall one of the best of the night easily though.

Gianna – Vocally she knocked this out of the park but it was clear she had no idea what she was singing about. She is far too young and immature for a song like this. And since when has I Put A Spell On You been attributed to Annie Lennox? Gianna gives me Jordin Sparks vibes for some reason.

Emily – Oh dear God. Emily was one of my fave girls in the competition but she bombed hard on this. This song isn’t all that great to begin with, what a terrible choice, and I think she was struggling with the key or something. Da fuq was this mess? Yeah, I like you Emily, but girl you deserve to get axed after this abomination. And what is her obsession with doing all songs only by Idol or Voice alum?

Avalon – I really like this girl’s voice. Her style is a bit too laid back and chill IMO but her voice is easily one of the most current, maybe even THE most current, radio friendly voice of the top 24. I could hear her voice in a top 40 song today

Jordan – He really overshot some of those glory notes and started straining. I didn’t mind the theatrical bit of the performance and he actually sounded good in some parts but I think this song was too big for him.

Thomas – Yuck. Sorry, did not like this at all. Weird arrangement and he was inconsistent. Plus his voice is SO affected. I hate the faux Brit accent even more than the yipping. Vocal coaches – seize him!

La’Porsha – Really strong vocal obviously and great performance skill but it felt like a really great Tina Turner impersonation. That styling did her absolutely NO favors whatsoever, she looked 40. I can’t believe she is seriously the same age as me. That hair needs to go. The song choice in general was not super imaginative. Very predictable. But a solid performance that definitely deserves getting through.

Top favorites:
Stephany
Sonika
Avalon
La’Porsha

• Love 1

Ever since Alex and Sierra sang "Say Something" on The Voice a few years ago, NOBODY can do it justice. Nice try,though, MacKenzie. I still like you anyway.

X Factor, I think.

Noone has ever portrayed Jeneve as poor. I honestly don't know where people got that idea. Maybe because Harry joked that her Dad hadn't paid the electric bill.

I wonder if by "no running water" they meant "not on the city water system".  An off-the-grid house would at least have a well system, which IS running water, of course.  

I thought he looked disturbingly like David Hasselhoff. I had a sudden image of what Seacrest will look in 30 years after multiple cosmetic 'enhancements'.

I kind of wondered at first if they were doing some throwback to the first live show, with Ryan's weird hair and outfit and the weird venue.   And the sound was crappy, too.  They all sounded like they were coming through a tunnel to me.  Mostly Ryan, though.

I like Avalon but no, not wearing makeup doesn't save you hours each morning unless you're JLo.  I hope they don't play the frump card every damn week. I know she doesn't want to be re-made girly but a gray short sleeve hoodie?  And those Cosby sweaters.  shudder.

Stephany has anorexiarms.  And looks like Nicole S.  And also 1970s Cher, and Pocahontas.  I would really like to update her hairstyle,and give Avalon's a good trim.  

MaKrisallen Bourg does look a bit like Robby Benson.

I actually thought Jordan looked better with the manbun.  I had to FF him, Thomas, and Emily. And LaPorsha.  

I confess that's why I can't warm to Sonika.  I suspect she comes from serious money and I want to pretend that there is some supernatural "justice" in the world that the winner will be someone who otherwise couldn't buy their way into show biz.  We all know now that none of the contestants on any of these shows really just fell off the turnip truck but it was fun to pretend back in the day.

ETA I'm not far off according to this article.

I love that the article is all "with Vineyard ties" and "but she actually is from Weston" - like setting the record straight.  Usually I think papers like that would rush to claim her but they were definitely giving her the arms-length treatment.

I doubt she had lessons on all those instruments. Maybe she had a piano teacher.

I don't get this either. Nobody ever said Jeneve was poor. Living "off the grid" does not equal poor. Plus I think most people know by now that every contestant exaggerates their stories a little bit to make things more interesting and portray a certain storyline or image. Like all those who had runs on The Voice obviously did not mention they ever appeared on another show. Dalton did not mention being part of a Disney boyband that was created by none other than American Idol creator Simon Fuller. They keep pushing Tristan's military mom story, Trent's mono, etc. etc. It's all a part of helping the audience remember who these people are. Whether you're a fan of Jeneve or not, everyone remembers she's the off the grid girl. It's her thing, just like the military mom is Tristan's, mono is Trent's, geeky Harry Potter is MacKenzie's, etc. They very clearly play up the "off the grid" thing more than necessary and probably encourage her to do it as well to create an interesting storyline. Like I don't believe her family really only turned on their generator for Idol.

I like Avalon but no, not wearing makeup doesn't save you hours each morning unless you're JLo.  I hope they don't play the frump card every damn week. I know she doesn't want to be re-made girly but a gray short sleeve hoodie?  And those Cosby sweaters.  shudder.

I'm quite a tomboy myself and rarely wear any makeup. There's a way to dress down without dressing like a slob and dressing casual while still looking semi stylish. Those Cosby sweaters are an atrocity. I appreciate her resilience to stick to who she is and not care what she looks like, and it's especially unfair when you think about how the guy contestants can get away usually with not worrying about what they wear, but I do think Avalon needs some help in the styling department. She really lacks any kind of good style IMO. Dressing tomboy/non girly does not have to equal dressing plain ugly and unflattering. I'm sure they could find her some cute hoodies with shorts or sweaters that are not so Cosby like. If she wants to dress more boyish, what about a button down with pants? Even J Biebs dresses nice sometimes. Like come on girl.

• Love 1

I'm quite a tomboy myself and rarely wear any makeup. There's a way to dress down without dressing like a slob and dressing casual while still looking semi stylish. Those Cosby sweaters are an atrocity. I appreciate her resilience to stick to who she is and not care what she looks like, and it's especially unfair when you think about how the guy contestants can get away usually with not worrying about what they wear, but I do think Avalon needs some help in the styling department. She really lacks any kind of good style IMO. Dressing tomboy/non girly does not have to equal dressing plain ugly and unflattering. I'm sure they could find her some cute hoodies with shorts or sweaters that are not so Cosby like. If she wants to dress more boyish, what about a button down with pants? Even J Biebs dresses nice sometimes. Like come on girl.

Yeah, she could also mix and match (tight[er] thing on top, and baggy on bottom, or vice versa) - plus, aren't men's fashions getting tighter fitted as they get more metro also?  I feel like half the dudes in NYC are running around in 70's-80s punk era style jeans, etc.  It takes some doing to dress that shapeless.  (I also think boys aren't exempt, and feeling like my own grandmother, that they should be dressing less shabby also.  These Amish type beards they're insisting upon are straggly and jut off in 6 different directions, I went to a play a couple weekends ago and I thought every hipster dude piling in looked like homeless men trying to pass, no lie.)  You can really tell boys' tees from girls' tees too, because of everything nowadays being, well, girly-cut, lol.  There've been months when I surely would rather not have been showing my muffin tops in the girly tees, but unless I wanted to flat out shop in the men's department, that's what I was getting.

Makenzie looked underdressed on stage with Lauren, to me.  He had on a tight, short sleeve button-down and like ankle jeans with glaring white high-tops, while she sang in a strapless LBD and red stilletos.    

When he started singing "I Hope You Dance" I harkened back to Scotty's nuts of wonder version.  

I like Scotty and wish him well.  I hope taking on college didn't hurt his career.  He is looking better.  He used to look like Alfred E. Newman, and held the mic look a corn cob.  

Yeah, she could also mix and match (tight[er] thing on top, and baggy on bottom, or vice versa) - plus, aren't men's fashions getting tighter fitted as they get more metro also? I feel like half the dudes in NYC are running around in 70's-80s punk era style jeans, etc. It takes some doing to dress that shapeless. (I also think boys aren't exempt, and feeling like my own grandmother, that they should be dressing less shabby also. These Amish type beards they're insisting upon are straggly and jut off in 6 different directions, I went to a play a couple weekends ago and I thought every hipster dude piling in looked like homeless men trying to pass, no lie.) You can really tell boys' tees from girls' tees too, because of everything nowadays being, well, girly-cut, lol. There've been months when I surely would rather not have been showing my muffin tops in the girly tees, but unless I wanted to flat out shop in the men's department, that's what I was getting.

Exactly. I remember MK kind of dressing boyish in her season but she did so stylishly and managed to have something resembling a style with the ski hats, sweaters, baggy pants, etc. Not exactly my personal style but resembling a style nonetheless. Avalon currently just looks like she is heading out to Walmart or that outfit she wore for the Ruben duet looked like she was going on a secret mission.

• Love 1

Secret mission... haha.  She looked cuter in their rehearsal, with her hair curly and the flannel around her waist.  

I thought it was odd how so many of the kids told Ryan they were "blessed" to sing with their alum.  It felt like the show fed them that line.  I don't hear young people talk like that.  I would expect them to use "lucky" or "honored" or "thrilled". "Blessed" just seems like something old Aunt Ida from the church choir would say.  Or maybe Jordan.  

Secret mission... haha.  She looked cuter in their rehearsal, with her hair curly and the flannel around her waist.  

I thought it was odd how so many of the kids told Ryan they were "blessed" to sing with their alum.  It felt like the show fed them that line.  I don't hear young people talk like that.  I would expect them to use "lucky" or "honored" or "thrilled". "Blessed" just seems like something old Aunt Ida from the church choir would say.  Or maybe Jordan.  

Three-fourths of Idol contestants these days are listed as "worship leaders" so I don't find it odd that they would use the word "blessed."  Annoying, but not odd.

• Love 1

Really, 3/4ths?  I thought Jordan was our only one this year.  (Oh, that was hyperbole.  Google tells me Jordan is the only one in the top 24.)

I'd never even heard the term 'worship leader' until Danny Gokey and Kris Allen, but I didn't start watching this show until the season before that.

Edited by Guest

Really, 3/4ths?  I thought Jordan was our only one this year.  (Oh, that was hyperbole.  Google tells me Jordan is the only one in the top 24.)

I'd never even heard the term 'worship leader' until Danny Gokey and Kris Allen, but I didn't start watching this show until the season before that.

Well, I feel like they used to call them "choir directors", so maybe that's why.

(At least, I'm assuming that's what it means, because I find it hard to believe that this is really a universal term/job statement for that person who changes handouts with hymn lyrics on the overhead projector.  I should think those people would be volunteers.)

Wikipedia says this:

A notable feature of contemporary worship is the worship leader. A worship leader is normally a musician (often a guitarist or pianist) with good singing ability whose role it is to lead the congregational singing. Many composers of contemporary worship songs are also worship leaders. The worship leader has a prominent role in contemporary worship services and is responsible for much of the spiritual direction of the meeting and often will choose the songs that will be sung. This can be contrasted with traditional churches, where the entire service is normally led by a member of the clergy. Also, in many cases, the worship leader is responsible for recruiting, assigning, and training other musicians to compose a worship band or team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_worship#Worship_leader

Yeah, she could also mix and match (tight[er] thing on top, and baggy on bottom, or vice versa) - plus, aren't men's fashions getting tighter fitted as they get more metro also?  I feel like half the dudes in NYC are running around in 70's-80s punk era style jeans, etc.  It takes some doing to dress that shapeless.  (I also think boys aren't exempt, and feeling like my own grandmother, that they should be dressing less shabby also.  These Amish type beards they're insisting upon are straggly and jut off in 6 different directions, I went to a play a couple weekends ago and I thought every hipster dude piling in looked like homeless men trying to pass, no lie.)  You can really tell boys' tees from girls' tees too, because of everything nowadays being, well, girly-cut, lol.  There've been months when I surely would rather not have been showing my muffin tops in the girly tees, but unless I wanted to flat out shop in the men's department, that's what I was getting.

I was struck though at how tight her jeans were.  I remember thinking "for someone who wants to wear loose and baggy and be comfortable, those jeans are the opposite!". 

• Love 1

Wikipedia says this:

A notable feature of contemporary worship is the worship leader. A worship leader is normally a musician (often a guitarist or pianist) with good singing ability whose role it is to lead the congregational singing. Many composers of contemporary worship songs are also worship leaders. The worship leader has a prominent role in contemporary worship services and is responsible for much of the spiritual direction of the meeting and often will choose the songs that will be sung. This can be contrasted with traditional churches, where the entire service is normally led by a member of the clergy. Also, in many cases, the worship leader is responsible for recruiting, assigning, and training other musicians to compose a worship band or team.

Thanks, wow, now I have to ask my mother if they pay theirs.  I still think for some churches that'd be volunteer if not twinned with another position like Rick Kitchen's nevvy, considering a lot of the "other musicians" would be members of their congregation already; it doesn't sound too difficult; except for maybe not turning down out and out terrible musicians whose mommies and daddies expect them to be part of "the team".  (Or, maybe I'm just terribly out of it basing all my experiences on teeny-tiny churches, we're not talking Saddleback in my neck of the woods.) 

Edited by queenanne

Wikipedia says this:

I knew there was a reason I didn't like contemporary church services.  (Well, there are many reasons, but this is definitely one of them.)