Type keyword(s) to search

Disney Films

ulkis
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Have you read any of Lloyd Alexander's books?  Because the Disney film bore almost no resemblance to the book and that's why it got a bad rep.  Something more faithful to the author's work would be fantastic.

I haven’t read the original but were they less dark and intense?

The movie failed because it was darker than anyone at the time expected from a kids movie. At the time Disney was synonymous with G ratings and it was their first to be rated PG. And that was after it was edited to not be PG-13. The original version scared the beejeezus out of children in test screenings. Most of them ran out of the theater. 

On 7/24/2023 at 12:29 PM, MadyGirl1987 said:

I would even be happier if they did remakes of their less-loved live action films, like "The Great Mouse Detective" "Atlantis" or even "The Black Cauldron." Shine light on those films that didn't get the recognition they deserved.

I agree. Disney re-acquired the rights to the Black Cauldron books in 2016 so they probably have something planned. 

9 hours ago, Dani said:

Personally, I love that Hans was the surprise villain and the way that played out because it turned a lot of the Disney tropes about true love on their head. I feel like Anna’s journey with Hans and Kristoff was an important message to little girls. Because sometimes the guy who seems perfect is actually the villain. One of the things that really impressed me with Frozen was the Hans plot. 

I agree.  Frozen is a little wishy washy story wise in some places but it appears they absolutely knew what they were doing with the Hans plot.  They skewer a lot of their own tropes.  I don't think that through line needs any revision.

• Like 6
22 hours ago, Dani said:

I haven’t read the original but were they less dark and intense?

No.  The books are darker and more intense, dealing with heavy subjects like loyalty, sacrifice, destiny and self-knowledge.  Which is why Disney was never the correct company to adapt them.  Still isn't.  I really wish they hadn't reacquired the rights to The Black Caldron because I can't imagine them getting it right.  Making it more kiddie friendly will only fuck it up worse.

Edited to note that I really want to re-read the books now.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 2

Livestream, Shopping, and More at Destination D23 presented by Lug
By the D23 Team   August 24, 2023
https://d23.com/livestream-shopping-and-more-at-destination-d23-presented-by-lug/ 

LIVESTREAM: SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 9

For one day only: Anyone who is unable to attend Destination D23 will be able to livestream all the magical announcements shared on Saturday, September 9, 2023. To watch the livestream, go to our YouTube or Facebook pages (@DisneyD23) or visit D23.com/DestinationD23.

PANELS AND PRESENTATIONS
Sunday, September 10, 2023

• 9 A.M. – 10:30 A.M.: Walt Disney Studios Showcase — A sneak peek at exciting upcoming projects from The Walt Disney Studios!
  • 10:45 A.M. – 11:15 A.M.: 100 Years of Walt Disney Animation Studios — Becky Bresee and Wayne Unten, heads of animation on Walt Disney Animation Studios’ upcoming feature Wish, sit down with legendary animator Mark Hennto revisit some of their favorite filmmaking memories.
Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

More attractions based on Disney films were announced at D23 this past weekend...

Destination D23 Disney Parks Panel: All the Big Walt Disney World and Disneyland Announcements
A new land with Encanto and Indiana Jones experiences, the Moana-inspired Journey of Water opening date, and more.
BY ADAM BANKHURST   SEP 9, 2023
https://www.ign.com/articles/destination-d23-disney-parks-panel-all-the-big-walt-disney-world-and-disneyland-announcements 

There were updates for Disney Parks all around the world, and some of the big highlights included plans for Dinoland U.S.A.'s reimagination into a new land with Encanto and Indiana Jones experiences and the opening date for the Moana-themed Journey of Water. However, there was so much more and this article has gathered all the biggest announcements you need to know.

Also, 2024 D23 news...

Disney Reveals Dates and Plans for an Expanded D23 Expo in 2024
BY ADAM BANKHURST  SEP 10, 2023 
https://www.ign.com/articles/disney-reveals-dates-and-plans-for-an-expanded-d23-expo-in-2024 

Disney has revealed that D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event will be the expanded version of its official expo that will take place in Anaheim, California, from August 9 to 11, 2024.
While Disney wasn't ready to reveal all the details for next year's D23 expo, it did share that the "one-of-a-kind experience will have spectacular shows, new venues, and multiple days of entertainment that brings together the wonderful world of Disney." And yes, that should include some big news, trailers, and more from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and more.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Elemental Lands in Top 10 Disney+ Movie Debuts of All Time
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   SEPTEMBER 18, 2023
https://tvline.com/ratings/elemental-most-watched-disney-plus-movie-premiere-2023-1235045569/ 

The Disney/Pixar flick now stands as the most-watched movie premiere of the year on Disney+, having racked up 26.4 million views during its first five days of release. (On Disney+, a view is logically defined as “total stream time divided by runtime”).

That tally also lands Elemental in Disney+’s Top 10 movie premieres of all time. It also is the most-viewed animated movie premiere since Disney/Pixar’s Turning Red dropped in March 2022.

Edited by tv echo

It's funny, I didn't think Elemental was all that great*... and yet I'm so happy it's become quite the sleeper hit. Who knew we still had those?!

Maybe I like that there's still a market for simple stories about love and familial relationships.

And it's not based on a pre-existing I.P.! Yay!

*No, I didn't hate it, I just thought some of the world-building was a bit sloppy, but it was absolutely not the worst thing I've seen. If you loved it, that's wonderful, and keep making sleeper hits happen!

• Like 3

I was not paying any attention to Wish but one clip of Chris Pine singing and I must watch it. 

If the strike doesn’t end soon, I will be robbed of the opportunity to watch Pine and Ariana DeBose on a press tour. 

I don't know. She has some good points, but honestly I would not probably notice and once I started to think about it, I found similar traits in many earlier characters, like Alice, Ariel, or Mulan so I would say it might be a case of when you look for something, you will find evidence. So I agree that most characters are like that to some degree, but I think it's not usually their main feature and they are still different enough from each other. And as she said, in some cases like Rapunzel and Anna it is understandable that the character would be socially awkward because they have been isolated their whole childhood and adolescence.

As for the reasons why they are like that, I think it might be related to how expectations for teenagers and young adults have changed over time. Most Disney heroines are in their late teens, maybe occasionally early 20's which is the age when we grow up and go from teenager to adult. But while in the past it was expected that girls would be more or less fully grown by then, not just physically but mentally, and the expectations for them had been different, we now often look at people of that age still as kids and the general consensus (backed by the information that the brain is still developing until our mid-20's) seems to be that people are allowed to be less mature and to take more time to be fully functioning adults. That is probably reflected in how characters are now written. Plus there is the current animation style that makes most female characters look adorable.

• Like 2

Re: Wish,

Seems like King Magnifico is the first Disney animated villain to have an official, alive spouse!

But don't worry, they did not give up the 'animal sidekick is always male' trope.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
6 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

A YouTuber I really like, moderngurlz, posted this video on the trend of "adorkable" Disney heroines. What do you all think?

I think I mostly agree with her point that the most recent crop of princesses are very similar in personality.  I do remember saying that I thought Moana was essentially a 'brown Rapunzel' when her movie marketing started.

It may just be a reflection of the times, and /or what Disney thinks is popular right now. It would good if they break the trend, though. There are also similarities with the Renaissance princesses also, but they definitely don't have all the same quirks as the most recent ones all have.

13 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I don't know. She has some good points, but honestly I would not probably notice and once I started to think about it, I found similar traits in many earlier characters, like Alice, Ariel, or Mulan so I would say it might be a case of when you look for something, you will find evidence. So I agree that most characters are like that to some degree, but I think it's not usually their main feature and they are still different enough from each other. And as she said, in some cases like Rapunzel and Anna it is understandable that the character would be socially awkward because they have been isolated their whole childhood and adolescence.

Exactly this. When the “adorkable” clips were playing the first thing that came to my mind was Mulan.

The main problem with the video is that this is something that happens all across media in characters of both genders. The biggest examples of adorkable characters that I think of are actually men. I’m hard pressed to think of any project that doesn’t have at least one major character classified as adorably awkward. Dungeons and Dragons is filled with adorkable characters. Even Clark Kent fits the description. 

But that is viewed as one aspect of their personality while the female Disney character are being defined by that one trait. Moana can be quirky but she’s more defined by a deep sense of community warring with an adventurous spirit. Rapunzel is quirky but she also is selfless, artistic, naive and a dreamer. 

I don’t know how to feel about the picture but the fact that Disney is punting Elio and Snow White to 2025 instead of settling with the SAG is infuriating. Especially since that means poor Rachel will have to endure ANOTHER year of people giving her crap.

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I don’t know how to feel about the picture but the fact that Disney is punting Elio and Snow White to 2025 instead of settling with the SAG is infuriating. Especially since that means poor Rachel will have to endure ANOTHER year of people giving her crap.

I have a different thought on the issue. It makes sense to change a release date for a movie that isn't finished, because you can't do a mainstream wide release for a movie that is not completely done. 

I understand "serious" Oscar type movies changing their release dates because many of them are from smaller studios/production companies with smaller budgets that don't have the money for massive ad campaigns. They depend on the actors/creative team being able to promote the movie on talk shows and other places which are then circulated on various websites (like YouTube).  

Disney has the money to run ad campaigns on TV, online, and any other place movies are advertised. I do not see a reason for them to move the release date for a movie that is already finished. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I have a different thought on the issue. It makes sense to change a release date for a movie that isn't finished, because you can't do a mainstream wide release for a movie that is not completely done. 

I understand "serious" Oscar type movies changing their release dates because many of them are from smaller studios/production companies with smaller budgets that don't have the money for massive ad campaigns. They depend on the actors/creative team being able to promote the movie on talk shows and other places which are then circulated on various websites (like YouTube).  

Disney has the money to run ad campaigns on TV, online, and any other place movies are advertised. I do not see a reason for them to move the release date for a movie that is already finished. 

I don’t either of them was finished or not. We got a trailer for Elio but not Snow White.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I don’t either of them was finished or not. We got a trailer for Elio but not Snow White.

Snow White finished filming in 2022 so the delay isn’t because it can’t be ready in time. I’m guessing it was delayed because because any promotion involving Gal Gadot is going to be very tricky for the foreseeable future. 

Dwayne Johnson Breaks Into 'You're Welcome' from Moana as He Reveals He's Shooting Live-Action Remake Next
By Alexis Jones   November 14, 2023
https://people.com/dwayne-johnson-reveals-shooting-live-action-remake-moana-youre-welcome-8402017 

On Monday, the actor, 51, confirmed he will soon embark on production for the live-action adaptation of the 2016 Disney animated film Moana

“My next project that I will be shooting is a live-action version of Moana,” he revealed on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.
The Black Adam star also shared that the “incredible” Hamilton director Thomas Kail will helm the upcoming project, with Lin Manuel-Miranda returning as a songwriter for all the original music featured in the animated version.
Not long after the announcement, Johnson revealed that the upcoming live remake is slated to release in theaters on June 27, 2025.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, tv echo said:

Dwayne Johnson Breaks Into 'You're Welcome' from Moana as He Reveals He's Shooting Live-Action Remake Next
By Alexis Jones   November 14, 2023
https://people.com/dwayne-johnson-reveals-shooting-live-action-remake-moana-youre-welcome-8402017 

Ugh, just why? Apart from the fact I find the Rock insufferable and his persona  an act, why remake a movie less then 10 years old? That's not even enough time to cash in on the nostalgia. I can categorically say I will not be seeing this, and is it wrong to say I hope it underperforms so Disney might finally give the live action remakes a rest?

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
13 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

I can categorically say I will not be seeing this, and is it wrong to say I hope it underperforms so Disney might finally give the live action remakes a rest?

Hey, if that's wrong, then I will be wrong right along with ya!!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
On 11/16/2023 at 6:19 AM, MadyGirl1987 said:

Ugh, just why? Apart from the fact I find the Rock insufferable and his persona  an act, why remake a movie less then 10 years old? That's not even enough time to cash in on the nostalgia. I can categorically say I will not be seeing this, and is it wrong to say I hope it underperforms so Disney might finally give the live action remakes a rest?

My gut says it's because if it doesn't happen now, The Rock will be too old to play Maui by the time real nostalgia kicks in.

• Useful 1

I saw "Wish" this afternoon, and I thought it was a pleasant diversion.  I was caught up enough in the story not to figure out how they'd resolve the conflict, which was a plus.  The credits are worth staying for, and there is a nice post-credits scene as well.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

It's interesting, reading the reviews of "Wish" -- it seems like the reviewers see it as a lazy amalgam of previous Disney films, where I saw it as an homage with lots of Easter eggs.  

Honestly at this point, I think people have gotten so used to shitting on Disney for whatever that they’ll do it even when they made something good. 

• Like 2

"Wish" did not do well in the box office, unfortunately.  Are families with younger children less likely to go the theaters now?  It's not like people would be going with little kids to see "Napoleon" or the Hunger Games prequel (I'm assuming, but who knows these days).

https://www.tmz.com/2023/11/26/disney-new-animated-movie-wish-flop-bomb-thanksgiving-box-office/

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/box-office-disney-wish-disappoints-napoleon-beats-expectations-1235808957/

Edited by Camera One
  • Useful 1

I will wait until the movie is on Disney+. I just paid for an annual subscription because they announced they will raise the prices and at least this way I'll save at least some money. There's no way I'm also paying for a movie ticket just to watch it earlier and I do the same with Marvel movies. I can definitely see families who would pay for multiple tickets doing the same to save some money, as they probably have Disney+ already.

• Like 5

Disney conditioned their audience for this.  I don't blame people for waiting for Disney+ especially those with families.  Remember, Encanto was a box office dud and it didn't catch fire until it was available to stream.  

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 6
On 11/29/2023 at 6:05 AM, JustHereForFood said:

I will wait until the movie is on Disney+. I just paid for an annual subscription because they announced they will raise the prices and at least this way I'll save at least some money. There's no way I'm also paying for a movie ticket just to watch it earlier and I do the same with Marvel movies. I can definitely see families who would pay for multiple tickets doing the same to save some money, as they probably have Disney+ already.

So do I. I can't really go to movie theaters so I always wait for it to be free on Disney+ even though it's a long wait. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

So do I. I can't really go to movie theaters so I always wait for it to be free on Disney+ even though it's a long wait. 

How long though? Between the pandemic and now Hollywood strikes slowdowns Disney  faces a new content shortage and folks will start cutting their cord.

• Like 2

In the meantime:

'Pixar's Soul, Turning Red, Luca Coming to Theaters in 2024'

Pixar‘s “Soul,” “Turning Red” and “Luca” are coming to theaters after they originally had streaming-only releases on Disney+ during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The three movies will come to theaters nationwide in 2024, with tickets going on sale Jan. 2. “Soul” is coming to theaters on Jan. 12, “Turning Red” will be on Feb. 9 and “Luca” arrives on March 22. They will be accompanied by the short films “Burrow,” “Kitbull” and “For the Birds,” respectively.

• Like 2

I just watched Bambi for the first times in decades, and I have thoughts.

First of all, at least in Minnesota, deer hunting season is in the FALL, not Spring.  Even if I could give them the benefit of the doubt and pretend the first shooting was a poacher, the killing of Bambi's mother was by a whole encampment of hunters, complete with tents and fires.  These were not poachers.

Secondly, no deer hunter goes out with a pack of dogs, especially not loud, vicious dogs.   Completely counter productive.  Deer hunting requires stealth, as deer have very good hearing.

Most of all, as an adult, I was shocked that Bambi is kind of boring!  There are long stretches with nothing but scenes of the forest while an off screen choir sing sappy songs.  I can't believe modern day children would even sit through this movie.

I wish I had left my warm feelings about the movie alone and skipped the rewatch.  😔

With Disney+ I've been rewatching a lot of movies and really enjoyed them (Pollyanna, Parent Trap, Jungle Book, Freaky Friday, etc).  I am sad that Bambi didn't live up to my memories.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

I have never seen the Lohan version of Parent Trap, but that always seems to be the one that people bring up whenever I mention that movie anywhere. I seem to be one of very few people of my age group who somehow never saw that version :p. 

But yeah, I'll always have fond memories of the original Parent Trap and Pollyanna, 'cause they make me think of being a kid and going with my mom to my grandma's house on Saturday afternoons. We'd all sit and watch those movies together constantly during those visits :). 

• Like 7

I love Bambi and for some time I used to watch it every Christmas. Like most  movies I watched at a specific time, I eventually stopped after a few years (I still have 2 that I have to watch on Christmas Eve, but that's it) and now I just watch it maybe once every 2 years when I really want to. I actually like that it doesn't have much in terms of plot and just shows us glimpses of life in a forest. Well, a very idealized version of life in a forest, but I just love all those cute animals. And the music is so beautiful, with a haunting feeling, it's different from most Disney movies because it's in the background and not the characters singing it.

It's hard to watch that scene and if I have one complaint about the movie, it's how quickly the mood is changed afterwards to happy again.

I've planned to read the book it's based on for years, hopefully one day I'll get around to do it. I know it's darker (like everything that Disney movies are based on), but I get the feeling I would like it. My library even has it, I've just been terrible with finding the time to read books.

• Like 1
On 12/16/2023 at 2:01 PM, Browncoat said:

UO:  The OG Parent Trap was better than the remake with Lindsay Lohan.

I agree. I love the Original. I love Susan and Sharon and the minister/priest who  loves Maureen.  I love Maureen and Mitch and seeing them together it was easy to see how they ended up together and divorced. I really love Susan spending time with her mother and Sharon her father. I love Maureen's and Mitch's reactions when they realize the daughter they hadn't seen in years is the one they've been with. I love that the housekeeper and dog figure out quickly she's not Susan. I love Susan going off on Maureen about splitting up her and Sharon and later when they point out when Maureen and Sharon are living that it's still messed up. Their going back to their lives and being separated again. Honestly they are. The whole movie is great. The Lindsay Lohan isn't good at all. It's surprising since they had good cast.   

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Hallie and Annie were too easy on their parents in comparison to that.

They really were. It was a horrible thing to do to the girls. They should be angry about that and the parents' should be called out for it. 

• Like 2