Type keyword(s) to search

Sleepy Hollow in the Media

I wouldn't mind the model of how they work on Supernatural and XFiles. They have used MoTW stuff, with some overarching mytharcs that are sprinkled throughout the seasons.  I like mytharc as long as it's done well. 

• Love 2

I personally really loved Glades (bloody A&E cancelled it at the last minute after season 4 - its most successful season - so the writers couldn't change the cliff hanger ending). It was charming, witty and involving thru the 4 seasons. The characters were used well. Loose ends were not left dangling (except, of course, the biggie from the cliff hanger). Was not a genre show - it was a police procedural but the best bits were the interactions of the well drawn characters. At least that is my take.

• Love 4

Great news!!!  

I just went to look at the new guys twitter.  This was the same day as Goffman's exit press release. Ha!

https://twitter.com/CCInnuendo/status/575448875533664256

Oh, interesting. And even before that - Feb 23 - he retweeted this:

Clifton Campbell retweeted

Kari Nautique @Kari_Nautique  ·  Feb 23

Well. #SleepyHollow was finally interesting again tonight.

Fact is, all of this stuff was going on in the background weeks and months ago. The announcements are just when WE know about it. Back to my theory that Goffman knew he'd be out, and started looking for another job sooner than later (why wouldn't he). Campbell was probably brought on way back in mid February or probably earlier. Gotta negotiate the contracts and get the paperwork in order.

Awesome. Lots of positive stuff about The Glades, so that bodes well.

• Love 4

Back to my theory that Goffman knew he'd be out, and started looking for another job sooner than later (why wouldn't he). Campbell was probably brought on way back in mid February or probably earlier. Gotta negotiate the contracts and get the paperwork in order.

I said at the time that Goffman's tweet about the Art of Preparing (or whatever), was the clue he would leave the show before a (then possible) Season 3.  I also still firmly believe his tweet about writing a book was a message to K/O,  but I have agreed to disagree on "that" viewpoint and will leave it at that.  

I figured with the steps FOX took and the fact SH was FOX owned, the show had a very good chance of being renewed.  I'm just happy that it's now all official. 

The press release I read also said they wanted to do more episodic and less serialized, which I fully support

Some of my favorite episodes from Season one were the  less serialized ones - Blood Moon, John Doe, For the Triumph of Evil - so I support it too.   Also not surprised at the 18 episode order since Walden and Newman stated they weren't exactly fans of the cable way of doing things (i.e. less episodes).

Again, just very, very happy and hope Season 2 taught everybody a few lessons on what does and what doesn't make SH work. 

ME (MISS ALMOND):  Sleepy Hollow has been renewed!

HUSBAND:  Does this mean you want wine?

From our new showrunner's twitter page:

Clifton Campbell @CCInnuendo  ·  20m 20 minutes ago

Welcome, Sleepyheads! Time to get to work!

Well, where's the party at?

Role playing Ichabod Crane's house?  <snort>.   Oh, my poor, long forgotten by many, Bakersfield P.D.!  if only . . . But oh, so happy to have this renewal;  I'm downright giddy! 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 3

*phoenics hears on tumblr that Sleepy Hollow is renewed*

Looks tentatively around thread, hopes she's not being played... is it renewed?!?! IS IT?!?!

SCREAMMMMMMMMSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Praise Jesus!!!!

*carlton dances*

• Love 9

Oh, my poor, long forgotten by many, Bakersfield P.D.!

I remember! I'm so happy y'all! It's Empire Wednesday, I got offered a job, and came here & saw this wonderful news...it's a good day. And no I'm not gonna cry if that's what you think, hear? Not gonna...damn.

• Love 10

I remember! I'm so happy y'all! It's Empire Wednesday, I got offered a job, and came here & saw this wonderful news...it's a good day. And no I'm not gonna cry if that's what you think, hear? Not gonna...damn.

It's okay!! I already broke the "cry" seal!!! Have at it.

Congrats on your job offer!!

This is a day of celebration!!

Man... Flash fandom is happy and now Sleepy Hollow's is happy! YEAH!

• Love 1

So very happy with the renewal!

I watched the first season of The Glades and really enjoyed it. I dropped off after the second season because it started to take a dumb ass turn and lose its charm coupled with some personal issues which gave me no tolerance, so I stopped watching and never checked it out again. Maybe I should give it another try.

Now I've gotta go see what Trollando has to say.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 2

I didn't realize how angry and bitter I was at Fox about how this season went down, how Nicole and the rest of the cast was treated, and with cancellation hanging over our heads--as if we hadn't suffered enough!

But now it's like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Okay, I know I'm lame and overly invested in this, but I was NOT ready to let Team Witness go! Just, how much would it have sucked to FINALLY get the show on course correction after that amazing finale, only to never see what happens to these characters next? So many questions answered, so many plots to explore, so much making up to do, so many shipping wars to fight. 

I love this community and I love the Sleepy Hollow fans. We were dedicated, intense, devoted, and respectful, and we had faith in the show and showed up when it mattered and look at us now! Started from the Bottom (Deliverance) and now we're here (Renewal)!

(And now I won't feel guilty watching and probably loving the Empire premiere tonight.)

• Love 10

I wonder when the cast was informed?  Nikkie Beharie has been pretty silent on twitter since she posted & then removed the instagram about not being invited for the DVD.  Then yesterday afternoon she tweeted two very nice tweets about being grateful to everyone and life being sweet and loving the fans.

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-18%20at%2010.38.

I can help but wonder.... man I need someone to write a juicy tell all book about the BTS stuff that when on.

How long ago did Goffman get fired?

Did it hurt?

Did he cry on KW's shoulder?

Which Fox executive sent the note to 'Kill the Witch'?

Did Orlando Cackle gleefully or did he just throw shade?

How red were the roses/ old was the scotch  they gave Nicole/Tom/John in acknowledgement of how shoddily they were treated?

How polite  was Lyndie about it all because she's Canadian?

How many antacids were chewed watching the ratings go down?

How many angry twitter accounts did they block?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 13

I love ^^ post, DearEvette. I wish someone kept a timeline of all of this mess. And for fun, I'm going to speculate-answer this:

How long ago did Goffman get fired?  I would actually reverse it and say Goffman started looking in December, after FOX stepped in and demanded changes. I will say that the new showrunner was hired before Feb 23rd. Because Feb 23, Campbell retweeted something about SH being good again (ha!), therefore he already knew he'd be showrunner at that time.

Did it hurt? Yes. Ego and Pride and all of that. Plus, no one "got" the amazingness of Katrina. *sideeye*

Did he cry on KW's shoulder? Yes. Both when he decided to leave his "beloved"  because of FOX unhappiness and second, when he had to write Tempus Fugit and kill her off. Don't worry though - his silver lining will be him casting her in his CBS pilots.

Which Fox executive sent the note to 'Kill the Witch'? The smartest, most awesome internet savvy FOX exec ever who actually listened to feedback and saw quite clearly the writing on the wall.

Did Orlando Cackle gleefully or did he just throw shade? Both. Orlando has too much class to publically gloat like that, so he hides his enthusiam behind jokes and shade-filled tweets. I think he genuinely feels bad for losing Katia and John, but money is money and business is business. Besides, he is still on the show AND totally understands that the POC were underminded and sidelined this season. But he and Mison (and now Nikki)  sure as hell haven't held back the shade and critical comments. Cheers to you, Sirs and Ma'am!

How red were the roses/ old was the scotch  they gave Nicole/Tom/John in acknowledgement of how shoddily they were treated? The Reddest Roses Ever with the Sweetest Scent Ever, presented on their knees begging forgiveness for ever daring to sideline their lovely lead. The scotch for Tom and John (and Nikki, she may drink it!) will be the rarest, and most expensive So Sorry Scotch for John, but  also for Tom and Nicole for sticking with the show (they could have quit), not bailing when things got rough, and staying professional and just plain awesome. They know the show is dead without them.

How polite was Lyndie about it all because she's Canadian? Polite as can be, because Canadians rule! However, she received a nice bottle of Glen Breton whisky ($143 bottle) and a beautiful bouquet of red and white roses (Canadian flag colours) - presented while kneeling - for also sticking around and being classy and just awesome. (for the record, I'm Canadian)

How many antacids were chewed watching the ratings go down? Many bottles, but only after Metzner and Kim realized that the "true fans' were absolutely right about everything and they suddenly had to worry about their jobs, and also about how smoothly they could turn face and gleefully embrace the "true fans".

How many angry twitter accounts did they block? Lots - first after Deliverance, then after Tempus Fugit. But the second time, they were appalled at the terrible things that were being said by the Ichatrina crowd, saw the error of their ways and unblocked the "real fans." Sandra, her minions and IchabodCraneRPG are still blocked, because Metzner and Kim have no time for the crazy. They got to start work on season 3.

• Love 4

I just got home from work and came here to find this amazing news!!! I am so thrilled, there are just no words to describe it properly!

I have a truly unreasonable love for this show. So much that I finally joined Twitter for the sole purpose of adding my voice to #abbiemillsdeservesbetter. I even signed an ipetition and voted in an E! poll. So completely unlike me!

I am so excited for S3! I can't wait to watch it with all of you!

*goes away happily humming and trying to remember the steps to the "dance of joy"*

Awww...who needs steps?!  (Flails away, spinning happily)

• Love 1

I'm so excited!!! I hope people post and tweet and tell everyone they know to come back and give Sleepy Hollow another chance. Fox actually listened to us for once and interfered in a positive way. They gave us what we asked for and we should reward the faith they showed in the fans and the show with higher ratings.

• Love 1

*goes away happily humming and trying to remember the steps to the "dance of joy"*

Awww...who needs steps?! (Flails away, spinning happily)

I'm happy I'm not the only flailing around with joy. The destruction of this show truly hurt but the course correction and renewal have been so sweet.

I am surprised by the 18 episode they were given but I will take it. I'm down for John Cho returning.

I look forward to watching the new season and snarking with you wonderful intelligent posters.

Edited by BestestAuntEver
  • Love 1

How many angry twitter accounts did they block? Lots - first after Deliverance, then after Tempus Fugit. But the second time, they were appalled at the terrible things that were being said by the Ichatrina crowd, saw the error of their ways and unblocked the "real fans." Sandra, her minions and IchabodCraneRPG are still blocked, because Metzner and Kim have no time for the crazy. They got to start work on season 3.

No, they're keeping, just not reading IchabodCraneRPG's tweets.  If they suddenly go missing, their families will need evidence to convince the FBI to immediately step in.

I know nothing about "The Glades" and am woman enough to admit if I "did", I probably thought it was a commercial for air freshner.  But reading up on Clifton Campbell gives me a good feeling, and the same goes for the man who  chose him, David Madden.   I do find it interesting, but not surprising, that FOX chose Goffman's successor.  But we already knew Who's the Boss here. 

• Love 2

How long ago did Goffman get fired?  I would actually reverse it and say Goffman started looking in December, after FOX stepped in and demanded changes. I will say that the new showrunner was hired before Feb 23rd. Because Feb 23, Campbell retweeted something about SH being good again (ha!), therefore he already knew he'd be showrunner at that time.

Have a reply but gonna move to the Ratings/Renewals thread.... more relevant there...

But the second time, they were appalled at the terrible things that were being said by the Ichatrina crowd, saw the error of their ways and unblocked the "real fans." Sandra, her minions and IchabodCraneRPG are still blocked, because Metzner and Kim have no time for the crazy. They got to start work on season 3.

I think we should make it clear that it was a subset of Ichatrina fans who were disgusting.  There were people who were geninue fans of Ichatrina and even I have said, I would have kept  Crazy PTA Mama Bear Katrina for Season 3.  But I doubt this subset really were fans of Ichatrina anyway.  IMO they pretended to be but what they really wanted was for SH to never, ever, never, nope, not going to happen, no never, ever, - did I say never? - hint Ichabod and Abbie could one day become a romantic couple.  Not that all viewers who didn't want that to happen were like this subset. There are are certainly fans who want and enjoy Ichabod and Abbie strictly as partners and friends.  However, this subset used that as their cover.  For the subset,  "can't we have a show without romance?" "brother/sister chemistry" was simply pretense.  They went along and tweeted "with you there, buddy!" to the producers/writers because they didn't care if the ratings plunged as long as their true agenda was safe.  

Now no one could expect the producers/writers to know this. Love them or hate them, they do have show to run.  It wasn't until after the finale when the subset really lost it and started posting,  and even tweeting, nasty, racist comments to the writers/producers that their true colors were exposed.  That, besides the stepping in of FOX, probably was the final "aha" moment to make Kim and Metzner (Goffman, OTOH, was lining up his next  gig and wasn't wasting time with craziness) see the light on who this subset was really was.  They knew then who the true fans really were and yes, they're thanking us, as they should because we saved them from SH having "that" sort of fandom.   But those of us who watched SH from the beginning and either posted or lurked on different forums knew this subset for what they were all along.  They could be spotted immediately with their use of the word "Crabbie".  Now they're pretending all they wanted was a sweet, romantic story between a married couple and the "Crabbies" ruined it for them by (apparently) seizing control of FOX and holding them hostage until changes were made.  AS IF FOX as a network had no power and couldn't either keep SH as it was or simply cancel it altogether.   This group is so vile, it makes me wish Season 3  opened with an X rated love scene between Ichabod and Abbie they would hear about when it crashed the Internet and their heads would explode.  But I'm better than that LOL. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 1

I'm back from the Orlando Jones Tumblr rabbit hole to squee with joy with my fellow Sleepyheads! It's funny, I found out about the renewal while waiting for my appointment at the dentists office. They were 45 minutes late, and I was about to go off on someone. Reading the news about the renewal calmed me down and kept me from acting a fool. I still need to get a root canal, but knowing that we got a season 3 almost makes up for it ;)

• Love 3

I'm back from the Orlando Jones Tumblr rabbit hole to squee with joy with my fellow Sleepyheads! It's funny, I found out about the renewal while waiting for my appointment at the dentists office. They were 45 minutes late, and I was about to go off on someone. Reading the news about the renewal calmed me down and kept me from acting a fool. I still need to get a root canal, but knowing that we got a season 3 almost makes up for it ;)

Hahahaaa!! This made me laugh outloud at work. Thankfully I'm on a call muted.

• Love 1

I never can understand why the number 18 scares some people. Hell, I wish Sleepy Hollow had 22 episodes like The Good Wife. That's the way shows used to be back in the day. They'd also have season finales in May and come back in September, 4 months later, not this nine month thing some networks are now doing.

If a group of writers can't craft a quality season in 18 episodes, they should find another profession. I'm glad the show was renewed for 18 because it shows the network has faith in the show. To have knocked it back down to 13 would have shown a lack of faith in the writers and especially the new showrunner.

• Love 13

I never can understand why the number 18 scares some people. Hell, I wish Sleepy Hollow had 22 episodes like The Good Wife. That's the way shows used to be back in the day. They'd also have season finales in May and come back in September, 4 months later, not this nine month thing some networks are now doing.

If a group of writers can't craft a quality season in 18 episodes, they should find another profession. I'm glad the show was renewed for 18 because it shows the network has faith in the show. To have knocked it back down to 13 would have shown a lack of faith in the writers and especially the new showrunner.

Here here! The episode number isn't the problem - it was the writing and the one step forward, ten steps backward of the repetitive and boring CFD plotlines. If Chris Carter and company could write a detailed mythology and stand alone episodes for 26 one hour episodes a season, then these idiots can do 18. Castle does 24, Buffy did 22, Supernatural does 22, Elementary does 24 a season.

Hopefully this new showrunner and hopefully some fresh writing blood will infuse some energy and ideas into the stale veterans of that writers room. Besides, I can read these threads and certain decent fanfic and easily get ideas to put together a cohesive and tight season 3. The difference is that the writers have to want to world build and have a passion for the material.

• Love 6

Here here! The episode number isn't the problem - it was the writing and the one step forward, ten steps backward of the repetitive and boring CFD plotlines. If Chris Carter and company could write a detailed mythology and stand alone episodes for 26 one hour episodes a season, then these idiots can do 18. Castle does 24, Buffy did 22, Supernatural does 22, Elementary does 24 a season.

Hopefully this new showrunner and hopefully some fresh writing blood will infuse some energy and ideas into the stale veterans of that writers room. Besides, I can read these threads and certain decent fanfic and easily get ideas to put together a cohesive and tight season 3. The difference is that the writers have to want to world build and have a passion for the material.

I hope they watch Season 1 like a hawk and really study the foundations laid there and then give us some procedural drama with some serialization built in. I'd be okay with that... but I want some world building. PLEASE!

• Love 3

I hope they watch Season 1 like a hawk and really study the foundations laid there and then give us some procedural drama with some serialization built in. I'd be okay with that... but I want some world building. PLEASE!

I hope they watch Season 1 and see the incredible rapport that Mison and Beharie have.  That needs to be first and foremost.

• Love 5

So true;  today's whippersnappers know nothing!  It really was more like 30 episodes too, which is why a long running show like "Gunsmoke" can be shown everyday and still have unseen episodes left that outlast any of today's current shows full airings in syndication.   But 13 episodes is the new cable model and network TV has been hammered with how outdated they are as opposed to HBO, AMC, Netflix, etc.  That's  why Kevin Reilly decided to go the shorter episode route.  Walden and Newman, OTOH, seem to believe network TV should embrace what it is, and are more willing to go along with longer seasons. 

To get back to media news, this was retweeted on Clifton Campbell's Twitter page:  So kind!

Clifton Campbell retweeted

The Glades Writers @TGWritersOffice  ·  24h 24 hours ago

All you #TheGlades fans, hope you're ready to join @CCInnuendo and become #Sleepyheads! https://deadline.com/2015/03/sleepy-hollow-renewed-season-3-clifton-campbell-new-showrunner-1201394622/ … #sleepyhollow

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 2

That's the way shows used to be back in the day.

Yes but for the most part,  tv was pretty crappy back in those days. LIke I'm re-watching Miami Vice on Cozi, still love it, but OOF, the production values are so terrible and that was on a show that had ground breaking "visual style" (surprisingly holding up: Don Johnson's acting. I know.) 

Anyrood I am not afraid of 18, but in general I think less episodes make for better overall quality the Good Wife has managed to be cable level quality, but even then they have a certain # of clinkers/misfires out 22. Sleepy Hollow is even more difficult because IMO it's premise is high wire, and it's froth is delicate mix, so yes I'd feel better at 13-15.

Yes but for the most part,  tv was pretty crappy back in those days. LIke I'm re-watching Miami Vice on Cozi, still love it, but OOF, the production values are so terrible and that was on a show that had ground breaking "visual style"

As time goes by and technology improves, no matter how ground breaking at the time, production values on any given show will lose its sparkle.  What I've found is that for all the talk of today's cable shows being bold,  there  are some shows from the 60's that (to me) seem to be written with unspoken understanding their entire audience had a brain and therefore didn't need to spell out everything.

• Love 6

Smaller episode orders don't necessarily ensure greater or even more consistent quality though. Heck, Sherlock only does three shows a season and the seasons are spaced out practically by years and still they somehow managed to make the second episode a clunker in each of the first two seasons. And I didn't enjoy the third season at all and they haven't even made it to ten episodes!

I saw somewhere that Clifton Campbell apparently tweeted during the final episodes that Sleepy Hollow was interesting again. If true, I'm optimistic about him since I would appear that he's a fan and that he also had a problem with the way things had been handled this year.

• Love 1

I am little late but chiming in to say how happy I am this show got renewed. I think the actors deserve a clean slate to try and bring this show back to what it can be and it would have been a shame if they didn't get a chance to, especially Tom and Nicole.

In terms of the episode order, I am ok with 18. I think it shows faith in the show to produce more than the usual 13, and it gives the show more of a chance to rebuild the audience over time if they play their cards right. As others have said I think if the new showrunner focuses on the Ichabbie chemistry and what has worked before than streching that over additional episodes shouldn't affect the quality at all. It might become a little more MOTW heavy instead of mythology heavy, but I think that would be a good thing if the show wants to last long term.

I think 18 is a good compromise between the "new standard" of 13 (front 9 and back 4) and the more traditional 22 to 24.  It makes for a bit faster season, and gives the stars more chance to do outside work [*], but also slows the show down so it doesn't have to go at a breakneck pace [**].

[*] Empire only had 12 episodes this season, which gave Terrance Howard time to to play in the 10-episode Wayward Pines.

[**] Empire only had 12 episodes this season and they weren't sure they were going to be renewed [***], which meant they had to go through the plot at a breakneck speed.  It's clear that they were ready to shoot the last episode as either a season-finale or a series-finale.

[***]  Instead it started at a four share and went up steadily to finish at a 6!!!

• Love 1