Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

Do Lana, Bex & Sean do anything besides go to conventions when they're not filming?

It makes good financial sense. They get paid buckets of money to visit different places for free and get showered with tons of adoration. Who wouldn't take that deal? JMo is a workaholic and wants to be a director, but if they don't have any big aspirations of a career after Once, going to cons while they're "hot" is smart from a money point of view.

EDIT: so I gather this is an official convention with studio approval. Interesting. I wonder what the differences will be? Also, will Lana and Sean be forced to cancel their "Fated Love" photo-op because someone throws a tantrum? ...I kid, I kid.

Edited by Serena
  • Love 3

I really liked him on that show too. He was charming. Here is a cuter picture of him at the wedding with JMo's (I think) boyfriend. I wonder if any other cast memebers than Jen attended?

Edited by Serena

Wait. Geoff Stults is Jen's boyfriend?

I think so. They've never confirmed it (but then she never confirmed she was dating Sebastian Stan at the time), but this fandom is made of sleuths and there've been several sightings. Here, here (she called him and Rose "my real life muses"), they went to Austin together for the weekend a couple of months ago, they were at Jamie's wedding... I know the fandom has a pile of other evidence stacked up, but I can't find it at the moment. I'm sure it's on Tumblr somewhere. But again, Jen's MO has always been never to confirm, so there's no way to know "for sure".

• Love 3

so I went to vote for Jmo on the Peoples Choice Awards, and the other nominees are Lady Gaga (what show is she on!), Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones), Caitriona Balfe (Outlander), & Ginny Goodwin.  So I'm thinking that either Ginny or Jmo might actually have a chance of winning this year - Nina Dobrev isn't nominated this year so it's up for grabs.  That said I reckon Emilia Clarke must have a pretty big following but it would be great if someone from Once won.

so I went to vote for Jmo on the Peoples Choice Awards, and the other nominees are Lady Gaga (what show is she on!), Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones), Caitriona Balfe (Outlander), & Ginny Goodwin.

Lady Gaga is on this season of American Horror Story.

Winning the PCAs (assuming they aren't rigged, which they may well be) basically relies on rabid fans voting again and again and again. Outlander has a rabid fan base. OuaT ships have rabid fan bases, but I don't see that many people going nuts voting for JMo or Ginnifer. If it were Lana or Colin, maybe, though Sam Heughan's fans beat Colin's handily in the last online poll they faced off in. 

• Love 3

But those things usually go to either CBS shows, or stars who agree to show up.

For the bigger awards with the bigger stars sure, like the movie or music ones. It makes sense to want to have the most number of A-listers show up.

These small category ones, PC don't even air on TV so they don't bother with it. It's just a press release or mentioned pre-show. But Lady Gaga or Emilia might get them to air this one.

If it were Lana or Colin, maybe

Not even then. Those 2 fanbases couldn't get even them nominated and there were campaigns to do so. Nina Dobrev was a write-in and ended up winning and it was under the Drama category, not Sci-Fi. That's a bigger category. That's what it takes. And I think Oncers consistently overestimates their numbers. It's loud and really really rabid but not plentiful. A quick look at twitter and I see the likes of Nina and Ian with 6 million followers and none of the Once cast even comes close to cracking a million.

It also says something that they weren't nominated in the first place. Yes their Once fanbase are loud and rabid but they're still relatively unknown outside the Once fanbase. Initial nominees are based on things like sales and Q scores, i.e. popularity metrics with the general population, not specific fanbases.

It also says something that they weren't nominated in the first place. Yes their Once fanbase are loud and rabid but they're still relatively unknown outside the Once fanbase. Initial nominees are based on things like sales and Q scores, i.e. popularity metrics with the general population, not specific fanbases.

Yeah, I would say with the general population (outside the Once fanbase), Ginny and Jen would been the most recognizable, Ginny because of her rom-coms and Jen because of House, with Ginny maybe having a slight lead. On the other hand, no one but Once fans knows who Josh, Lana or Colin are. Emilie might be the only other one the general public is familiar with. Robert is a great actor but even he is not that recognizable IMO.

Really? I would've thought Robert Carlyle would be the most recognisable. I've only seen him and Sean McGuire in a number of roles. Apart from seeing Jennifer Morrison in House I've never seen any of the main cast in anything except bit parts.

Really? I would've thought Robert Carlyle would be the most recognisable. I've only seen him and Sean McGuire in a number of roles. Apart from seeing Jennifer Morrison in House I've never seen any of the main cast in anything except bit parts.

I would guess it depends on the demographics. 20-somethings (and under) would be more likely to recognize Jen or Ginny IMO. I had to idea who Robert Carlyle was before Once. Also, maybe people from the UK are more likely to recognize Robert and Sean?

• Love 1

I'm from the US, and Robert and Emilie were the only main actors I recognized. When I finally saw Thor, I was like, hey, it's Prince Charming! I saw Walk the Line before Once, but didn't remember that Ginny was in it. I have yet to see Jen in anything other than Once.

• Love 1

The first thing I ever saw Robert Carlyle in was the Full Monty. Emilie, I knew from Lost. Josh, from Thor. JMo, from House. Colin, I remembered from Tudors because I was obsessed with that show. Ginny, I had no clue who she was. Ditto Lana. Bex Mader, I remembered from Lost. Sean, no idea who he was.

• Love 1

I've seen all the cast (minus Jared) in something else before Once premiered but I assumed Jen and Ginny would be the demographics who join those twitter voting stuff. Every year they have gotten nominated. PCA reminds me of the Teen Choice though. Last year didn't Captain Swan had proof that they won Best kiss but still lost to TVD or something? I think these fan vote award shows wins based on who attends.

Back when the show began, Carlyle and Ginny Goodwin were the only ones I knew from previous projects. I was mildly aware of "House" and had seen Jennifer Morrison in press related to it, but it was not really my type of show and I don't think I've ever seen a full episode of it. Everyone else of the original main cast I'd never heard of before. Emilie and Rebecca I remembered from being part of the LOST cast, Sean Maguire I had seen in a movie and "Scott & Bailey".

I knew JMO from House, M.D. and How I Met Your Mother (and she's Kirk's mother in the Star Trek movie reboot!), Emilie as Claire from Lost, and Robert Carlyle from 28 Weeks Later. I actually had a fanfic idea about how different that movie would have been if Don Harris had come in just about 2 minutes after he did, and that ended up becoming a crossover with House because you just know Greg House would want to study the Rage virus.

Apparently the guy who plays Grumpy was also in Pirates of the Caribbean? There's a gif set out there about how much both characters hate "parley".

Otherwise, I didn't recognize anybody on Once. Oh, except for Sarah Bolger from The Moth Diaries. And then of course Hurley from Lost, when he played Tiny the giant. I remembered reading the rumors that Josh Holloway (Sawyer on Lost) would play Kristoff, was glad to find the Elizabeth Mitchell rumor at least was true because I think she played Ingrid really well even though I was lukewarm about Juliet. I keep trying to remember who Rebecca Madden played on Lost, but I can't, so she's just Zelena to me.

Edited by Faemonic

I remember Ginny from Ed with Julie Bowen, Tom Cavanagh, and Justin Long. After that she was always "hey it's that girl from Ed." I don't know if she had started the romantic comedies yet, but I remember her from Mona Lisa Smile. I really liked her character in that. From the original main group I knew Jen from HIMYM and House although I never watched it just remember thinking they were screwing her over when the news came out about her leaving. I knew Robert from Full Monty and Trainspotting. Raphael Sbarge was a bad guy in Prison Break.

I knew that JMo had been on House, though I never watched the show; similarly, I had a sense of who Ginny Goodwin was and that she'd been the wife in Walk the Line/in Big Love. And when I went and looked at their IMDBs, I was like "Oh, I know EdR from Roswell way back when and Josh Dallas from Thor!" I didn't recognize them outright, but once the dots were connected for me, I did.

Had no clue who Carlyle, Parrilla, or pretty much anyone else who's cycled in/out over the years were.

You'd think, though, that they'd have learned a lesson from How I Met Your Mother, which also had its series finale planned out from the day the pilot was shot and stuck to that early vision so stubbornly that what hit our screens made no sense because of the way the show and the characters had evolved over the intervening nine years.  It was a complete disaster that destroyed whatever goodwill its producers had built up.

Then again, Adam and Eddie don't seem to have learned a thing from Lost, either.  I'll bet that to this day, they have no idea why that show ended up alienating so many of its viewers, since they keep repeating the same mistakes on Once.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2