Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

Plus, for "Phyllis fans" you probably need to figure out how many of them are/were MS fans, how many are/were fans of the character, and what the intersection is between those groups. I wasn't a big Phyllis fan although I did like her pairing with Jack. After GT assumed the role I realized that most of my dislike was about the former actress who played her and not so much the character. I've only recently started hearing complaints about Phyllis because many feel her behavior since the Marco reveal is totally OOC. I'm not sure how much of that blame really belongs on GT.

• Love 10

Plus, for "Phyllis fans" you probably need to figure out how many of them are/were MS fans, how many are/were fans of the character, and what the intersection is between those groups. I wasn't a big Phyllis fan although I did like her pairing with Jack. After GT assumed the role I realized that most of my dislike was about the former actress who played her and not so much the character. I've only recently started hearing complaints about Phyllis because many feel her behavior since the Marco reveal is totally OOC. I'm not sure how much of that blame really belongs on GT.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the writing. I think GT is fantastic. Phyllis' turning a blind eye to things that would normally piss her off? Not so much.

• Love 9

Have those of you on Twitter followed the Nancy Lee Grahn drama during and after the Emmys? I don't watch the Emmys (I'm not currently watching any prime time shows) but I do go on Twitter. Wow. She's a colossal idiot. This article sums up what happened: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/soap-actress-nancy-lee-grahn-6488609

I'm now afraid you-know-who of Y&R fame will jump all over this. It bugs because diversity is a serious issue on television but Victoria Rowell is a lunatic who uses it as an excuse to hide her grotesque and petty behaviour.

But I'm just waiting for her to jump into the fray....

• Love 6
She's a colossal idiot.

To put it mildly. Wow. It might be time for her to step away from the booze, crack pipe, or whatever the hell she was on when she was going down in flames. And who is this "they" and "their" and "these people" she kept referring to? (I know the answer; just being rhetorical...) Oh, and this little gem: "She (Viola) has never been discriminated against." STFU and GDIAF you dumb <banned word that probably doesn't apply since NLG apparently lacks both the warmth and depth>.

But I'm just waiting for her to jump into the fray....

Hmmm, this is probably the perfect situation for her to go off on since she likely has insider knowledge of NLG's soap career. I wouldn't be mad at her...

• Love 6

To put it mildly. Wow. It might be time for her to step away from the booze, crack pipe, or whatever the hell she was on when she was going down in flames. And who is this "they" and "their" and "these people" she kept referring to? (I know the answer; just being rhetorical...) Oh, and this little gem: "She (Viola) has never been discriminated against." STFU and GDIAF you dumb <banned word that probably doesn't apply since NLG apparently lacks both the warmth and depth>.

Hmmm, this is probably the perfect situation for her to go off on since she likely has insider knowledge of NLG's soap career. I wouldn't be mad at her...

She needs to have several seats over there/watch "Frozen" a few times.

• Love 2

I've never liked Nancy Lee Grahn. She's said things in SOD before I found dicey. I can't recall how long ago or the context but it was kinda disparaging of others and cocky. Like she has "smartest person in the room" way about her that turned me off.

• Love 6

I know! I wouldn't be mad at her either. Which is why I don't want to see her jump in. I don't want to agree with VR. lol.

I had seen NLG's tweets on occasion. She likes to swear a lot and say "bold" things. I think she sees herself as some tough talking, take-no-shit super smart woman of the people. But I began to notice that much of what she said was kind of stupid and usually meaningless. 

And then this. sheesh. The "has never been discriminated against" did it for me. But NLG just kept digging and digging and digging. "I don't see colour. People are people." um. That's your privilege as a white woman, actually.

I wonder if we'll see anything come from this with respect to ABC. This was trending and is still trending.

• Love 4
I wonder if we'll see anything come from this with respect to ABC. This was trending and is still trending.

Yeah, I've seen it mentioned on a couple of other sites now. I bet NLG will get a bit of a talking to from someone of importance since Viola is also on ABC and has Shonda Rhimes in her corner. ABC gave Shonda the entire Thursday night lineup so you know she's got juice at the the network. (Push come to shove though, I imagine either Viola could stand up for herself or take the high road and not respond directly at all. I'm sure she knows the score.)

• Love 6

Back in the day I liked NLG when she was on Santa Barbara but that was a long long time ago---I get that she is a long time activist but since she took that sorta  dumb character job at GH I figured that she liked the paycheck and  the dumb storyline stuff and she had made her peace with --hardly shakespeare and yeah I heart Lane Davies forever  but still---she chose that lane---so sorry she whacked out on Twitter but then I rant late at night too---

• Love 3

Did anyone else see the Tweet this morning from Soap Opera Spy that Sean Carrigan had been fired and that he'll be killed in the Newman ballroom collapse during November Sweeps? Is this just a rumor or wild speculation, or is there any possible truth to the thing? I couldn't find anything on any other site.

• Love 4

TMS, i have read speculation that he will be killed during the "explosion of ne ballroom" or wherever/whatever the heck it's supposed to be.

mostly because mek will be appearing around that time, no need for too many dr's around, shady or otherwise.

too bad it won't be herb.

• Love 4

Did anyone else see the Tweet this morning from Soap Opera Spy that Sean Carrigan had been fired and that he'll be killed in the Newman ballroom collapse during November Sweeps? Is this just a rumor or wild speculation, or is there any possible truth to the thing? I couldn't find anything on any other site.

If this is true it will be devastating to so many people. I don't know if the show can recover from such a loss. Crying. 

Edited by LeftPhalange
  • Love 12

If the rumor is true that's too bad for the actor and I hope he's able to jump into a better role that's more suitable for his talents. The writers really ruined Stitch, IMO, when they a) tried to turn him into some kind of hero, and b) bounced him from sister to mother to daughter within what must have been the space of less than a year.

• Love 6

You watch, if Stench gets croaked in Newman Ballroom (or whatever the hell they decide to call it) St. Sycamore will have break down because he couldn't save him due to coming to the rescue of the entire rest of the population of GC.  OMG, you guys- it will be EPIC! *eyes roll out of head and across floor*

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 10

STFU and GDIAF you dumb <banned word that probably doesn't apply since NLG apparently lacks both the warmth and depth>.

I have restarted that Word doc I used to keep of witty and/or profound things I read just so I could include this beautiful insult.  

• Love 3

When I saw THIS in the interview.....

Michael E. Knight interview.

I don’t think Chuck was given a fair shot at AMC. I suspect he got his marching orders from [former ABC Daytime chief] Brian Frons, who only wanted the under 35 audience. Chuck had to turn AMC, which was moving very slowly, into a show that demanded your full attention, not something you could half-watch while you were making a ham sandwich. He really had to mix it up. But he was only there for what, seven months? I think he’s a funny, progressive guy. And hey, Y&R is doing pretty well under him!

...I thought WTF??  Gotta say I was really disappointed in MEK. Pratt's stories were horrible and I don't think lack of time was the problem.

I still don't get how Y&R's ratings are what they are when the writing is just......abysmally horridly out of character history abusing Victor propping crap.

Edited by RedRockRosie
  • Love 9

Chuck is a progressive guy? Progressive...progressive...I checked my dictionary and the definition of that word hasn't changed, so...no.

I know, I know. I'm probably not giving Pratt enough credit for his enlightened views on women and mental illness or his clear revulsion at overprivileged psycopaths getting away with heinous crimes. Justice is probably Chuck Pratt's middle name.

• Love 12

Ratings going down is what I read here, but not what this story says.  Even worse that Daytime Confidential twit, Jamey Giddens is now singing the praises of Phleps and Pratt.

http://daytimeconfidential.com/2015/09/25/chuck-pratt-and-jill-farren-phelps-lead-yr-to-biggest-ratings-since-2009-10-tv-season

The ratings this week are again down. Giddens is a moron. When the ratings were soaring (in Feb.) and had a teeny blip one week of a 3,000 drop from the previous week Giddens wrote a piece about how the show is BLEEDING viewers because Pratt is so so so horrible. That was during the big drama February sweeps when some of us (fools now in hindsight) had high hopes. 

Now that the hopes have been dashed and viewers are leaving -- because there have been significant year over year drops now, Giddens is on board. Right.

But this is the guy who thinks Hevon is where it's at.

Edited by miamama
  • Love 8

You know I was thinking about bloggers like Giddens who hated the Marco story and felt Pratt was killing the show. The ratings (during the height of the Marco stuff) showed viewers were tuning in for months. Soap viewers don't have a problem with doppelgängers. They have a problem with poor storytelling (like everyone on earth) wherein arcs don't play out and the bad guy doesn't get comeuppance. 

That is what the ratings are reflecting IMO.

• Love 14

Chuck is a progressive guy? Progressive...progressive...I checked my dictionary and the definition of that word hasn't changed, so...no.

Progressive my ass. He seems like he likes all the women , weak and needy or flat out cuckooooo.. wtf is so progressive about that? Pratt sucks donkey.

• Love 6

Michael E. Knight interview. He sounds funny. And his story will be tied to Neil apparently.Norma

Normally, I find these interviews kinda tinselly--agent-scripted and delivered by people who've been too long in the same fishtank. However, Michael E. Knight is funny, witty, and self-aware--good with words. So I went to the link with the Ray Wise interview--he really has his head straight and seems genuinely menschy.

• Love 5

LOL  well, for what it's worth, MEK really can't say anything different.

if he wants this job, he will turn into a contortionist to kiss chuckles hiney..

Scary image, thanks for that one. LOL

Exactly, the guy is lucky to get a job on the remaining soaps so will find no fault with Pratt!

I totally agree...& it would seem that butt kissing is what makes the world go around... the soap world anyhow . LOL

Still sorry he had to go & praise Pratt cause Pratt sucks....his writing is not progressive...regressive is more like it.

• Love 7

Just saw this on Blind Gossip (attributed to Serial Scoop) and thought I'd post it here:

soap 2[serial Scoop] The revolving door of daytime soap operas has been rotating on warp speed lately. And from what I’m hearing, another major exit is in the works.

Here is all I can reveal… for now: This performer’s contract is up for renewal in the next couple of months and he/she is telling everyone who will listen it will not be renewed. Currently involved in a major front-burner story, this person’s exit would be a huge blow to the plans of the writing team.

Any ideas, folks?  Is it possible that Justin Hartley might be wanting to bail? From the clue, it states that this person is "telling everyone...it won't be renewed" which actually sounds like whomever this is referring to is being let go rather than wanting to exit of their own volition. I've heard that Carrigan's contract is up for renewal in November, but I hardly think that losing this guy would be a blow (more like an elephant swatting a fly off their ass). EB's gone on record that he's staying put which is demoralizing. Could they be referring to KDP on Days?

• Love 2

You know, Valley, I've wondered about HHK in general. She's won an Emmy (two?) and she's done other things including that movie that was released this summer about teen cyber bullying for which her acting was well reviewed. By the way the item is phrased, it's not clear whether this is by the actor's choice or that of the showrunners, although if the departure would be a "blow" to the writers who are currently featuring the character in a front burner storyline, it sounds as if this wasn't a planned exit on the part of the decision makers, as one would assume that the writers would have been given a heads up about what's in store. There are some folks who are speculating that it might be Billy Miller - again, but wouldn't he have signed a lengthier contract than just a year?

• Love 3

You know, Valley, I've wondered about HHK in general. She's won an Emmy (two?) and she's done other things including that movie that was released this summer about teen cyber bullying for which her acting was well reviewed. By the way the item is phrased, it's not clear whether this is by the actor's choice or that of the showrunners, although if the departure would be a "blow" to the writers who are currently featuring the character in a front burner storyline, it sounds as if this wasn't a planned exit on the part of the decision makers, as one would assume that the writers would have been given a heads up about what's in store. There are some folks who are speculating that it might be Billy Miller - again, but wouldn't he have signed a lengthier contract than just a year?

Her younger sister seems to have a stronger movie career and is more known. That has to be putting pressure on her or curiosity especially since she's now 22 ish. This may cause HHK to try leaving.

• Love 1

This delusional MFer right here, the president of Sony TV, said in a recent interview:

You have two long-surviving soap operas, "Days of Our Lives" and "The Young and the Restless." How long can they keep going?

"The great ones will be around forever, and the good news is we've seen growth in both soaps. I learned the hard way how passionate the audience is about these shows. We were in contract negotiation with ["The Young and the Restless" star] Eric Braden and there was some disagreement over it — and the show's fans were up in arms. Some people were kind of getting angry with me. I had death threats based on not getting the Eric Braden deal done."

I'm thinking if there even were actual "death threats", they either came from EB himself or people closely associated with him. Seriously? This is an example of why this show is turning into crap: it starts at the top. When did The Young and the Restless turn into The Victor Newman Show?

• Love 11

I read some where that Steve Burton only signed a one year contract the last time and I think it was around one year ago.

I believe he's nearing two years on the show (his first airdate was during the winter - February maybe - preceding the departures of BM and MM, which occurred the following January, which was in 2013 right?).

Here's a tidbit I saw on Twitter this morning. I'd posted another bit from Celebrity Dirty Laundry on the same subject, but now here it is again, popping up in The Examiner. Take it for what it's worth:

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-young-and-the-restless-spoilers-delia-abbott-is-still-alive

• Love 1

Death threats? Really? I smell bullshit on that one. All of this Victor tongue bathing is ruining my show. 

I've read that rumour about Delia. Pratt is copying GH on that one. Didn't they just resurrect a kid who was run over and killed? Delia wouldn't have any corneas or are we supposed to forget that? JFC!

• Love 4

Don't TOY with me!

I can't get the link to work so I hope it's o.k. to copy and paste this here. Steve Burton only signed on for another year with the show last November. I remember thinking at the time that it seemed strange he signed for a year when usually the contracts are for three years.

http://www.musictimes.com/articles/14885/20141108/steve-burton-jill-farren-phelps-michael-muhney-the-young-the-restless-daytime-soaps-general-hospital-contract-soap-killer-drama-cbs-dylan-mcavoy-friends-jason-morgan.htm

Young & the Restless'

by Cate Meighan   Nov 8, 2014 14:27 PM ESTSteve Burton

Fans of The Young & the Restless will be thrilled to learn that Steve Burton has decided to extend his contract with the show for another year. Burton first began appearing as Dylan McAvoy in January 2013 and fans were a bit surprised when he decided to extend his contract late last year because the character had yet to really gel with audiences. Obviously, Burton seems to be in it for the long haul and is really enjoying his work on the sudser.

Burton's first major gig in daytime was as Jason Morgan on General Hospital and it's a role that he spent 20 years developing. In late 2012, Jill Farren Phelps decided to take a position as show runner for Y&R and Burton, being one of her closest pals, was offered a job. Apparently the offer was good enough to not only make him leave behind a character with a huge fan base that he had invested in, but to keep him on the CBS sound stage when ABC began looking to bring Jason Morgan back onto the canvas.

Many GH fans had hoped that Burton would end his run on Y&R after only a year and check back into Port Charles. Burton shocked many by staying put, forcing GH to recast the part. What's ironic is the Y&R has been under heavy scrutiny for many of the disastrous casting changes that Phelps has made, choosing to terminate popular actors in favor of giving jobs to some of her friends. It's a method that has failed miserably in the past with Phelps being at least partially to blame for the death of several once-popular daytime shows such as Another World and Santa Barbra.

Has Burton made a wise choice in staying with a show that seems to constantly be in a state of upheaval? Do you wish that he instead chose to go back to his old stomping ground at General Hospital? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below!

corneas smorneas,,,, it was probably some other poor little kid they got them from and then delia took their place.

i know it sounds stupid, but then the whole show is made up of stupid.

and yes P&E, pratt will just plagarize s/l's from other soaps cause he is a hack.

• Love 5

I can't get the link to work so I hope it's o.k. to copy and paste this here. Steve Burton only signed on for another year with the show last November. I remember thinking at the time that it seemed strange he signed for a year when usually the contracts are for three years.

http://www.musictimes.com/articles/14885/20141108/steve-burton-jill-farren-phelps-michael-muhney-the-young-the-restless-daytime-soaps-general-hospital-contract-soap-killer-drama-cbs-dylan-mcavoy-friends-jason-morgan.htm

Young & the Restless'

by Cate Meighan   Nov 8, 2014 14:27 PM ESTSteve Burton

Fans of The Young & the Restless will be thrilled to learn that Steve Burton has decided to extend his contract with the show for another year. Burton first began appearing as Dylan McAvoy in January 2013 and fans were a bit surprised when he decided to extend his contract late last year because the character had yet to really gel with audiences. Obviously, Burton seems to be in it for the long haul and is really enjoying his work on the sudser.

Burton's first major gig in daytime was as Jason Morgan on General Hospital and it's a role that he spent 20 years developing. In late 2012, Jill Farren Phelps decided to take a position as show runner for Y&R and Burton, being one of her closest pals, was offered a job. Apparently the offer was good enough to not only make him leave behind a character with a huge fan base that he had invested in, but to keep him on the CBS sound stage when ABC began looking to bring Jason Morgan back onto the canvas.

Many GH fans had hoped that Burton would end his run on Y&R after only a year and check back into Port Charles. Burton shocked many by staying put, forcing GH to recast the part. What's ironic is the Y&R has been under heavy scrutiny for many of the disastrous casting changes that Phelps has made, choosing to terminate popular actors in favor of giving jobs to some of her friends. It's a method that has failed miserably in the past with Phelps being at least partially to blame for the death of several once-popular daytime shows such as Another World and Santa Barbra.

Has Burton made a wise choice in staying with a show that seems to constantly be in a state of upheaval? Do you wish that he instead chose to go back to his old stomping ground at General Hospital? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below!

So, it's possible that the blind item might be about SBu after all. Wouldn't that be manna from heaven? I was listening to the DC podcast earlier today, and I believe it was Luke Kerr who was sighing and saying how he wished Y&R and GH would just decide to make a trade like the do in the NFL and give SBu back to play Jason and GH would send BM back to play Billy. Giddens jumped in and said that'd never happen because neither soap gives a shit about any of the talent they have on the board, but spend sleepless nights trying to figure out how to entice big "gets" from the other soaps in hopes to bring the fans over with them when they move. I'd be shocked if SBu left the show, but for all I know, hell is a frozen lakebed on Mars. When did Hartley join the show? Didn't he start appearing about this time last year, along with KS? I seem to recall it being in the fall. Maybe he only signed a year-long contract. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he left to pursue greener pastures. I think the show would be just fine withoutout either of them.

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 2

According to this article it was a year ago this past August that Justin Hartley joined the show.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/young-restless-justin-hartley-adam-newman-1085673/

Exclusive: Justin Hartley Joins The Young and the Restless
by Michael Logan | Aug 19, 2014 10:19 AM EDT

The Young and the Restless has finally found its Adam Newman! TV Guide Magazine can exclusively report that, after an extensive casting search, the part of the presumed-dead Genoa City troublemaker has gone to former Smallville and Revenge star Justin Hartley. The actor will report for work at the CBS soap in late September and is scheduled to hit the air during November sweeps.
"I'm so pumped about joining Y&R — I watch it all the time and can't wait to get in there and get my hands dirty!" says Hartley, who kicked off his career in 2002 with the daytime serial Passions. "I have great respect for daytime drama. I love the branding. I love the style. What can I say? I love good soap!"
And he doesn't see this Y&R gig as a step back. After a string of terrific performances in primetime — he was Green Arrow on Smallville, Victoria Craig's illegit gay son Patrick on Revenge, and Scott, the kinky plastic surgeon on Mistresses — Hartley says, "It's all about story and character with me and I don't care if the job is on daytime or primetime or the web. Hey, give me a good character and someone to listen and I'll do my acting on a street corner."
Hartley says he met with Y&R exec producer Jill Farren Phelps and CBS Daytime czarina Angelica McDaniel to talk about the Adam role and "came away feeling very excited. The powers that be are smart, lovely people with kind hearts. It'll be wonderful going to work knowing I'm really wanted." Bonus perk: The L.A.-based job keeps Hartley near 10-year-old Isabella, his daughter from his former marriage to actress Lindsay Hartley.
Truth be told, he is a little nervous. "Y&R is the No. 1 show and the acting company is exceptional," Hartley says. "There's no period of adjustment with these people and that's daunting. I don't just have to be fantastic, I have to be fantastic right now!"
Hartley replaces Michael Muhney, who was fired from the soap last December.
Subscribe to TV Guide Magazine now!

Edited by Slowpokey

Her younger sister seems to have a stronger movie career and is more known. That has to be putting pressure on her or curiosity especially since she's now 22 ish. This may cause HHK to try leaving.

I think she might try to see what she could do in films and primetime. I could see a bit of sibling rivalry maybe being an impetus to see what's out there and someone this young is probably not a lifer - but then I guess I need to reconsider this because of women like MTS, Lucci, Sweeney, etc. Of course, those ladies had the benefit of much better and sustained writing and being one half of a super couple. So far, HHK hasn't had that going for her, and with Pratt and JFP at the helm, she's never going to see that.

• Love 4