Type keyword(s) to search

Media Things

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

People do really, really dumb shit in their 20's.

Jonathan would be an extremely easy character to write off. They never specified his grade the way they did with Steve (who was class of '85) and Nancy (who's class of '86 apparently) but they could just say he graduated with Steve and went off to college. If the third season starts in summer '85 (which is my guess) they can just say he went to summer session.

You’re right that it would be very easy to write Jonathan out, but I still think it would be disappointing if that happens. 

I really like his relationships with Will and Nancy, and it would be a shame to lose that. 

That said, his health does come first. It’s just an unfortunate situation all around. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Last Time Lord said:

You’re right that it would be very easy to write Jonathan out, but I still think it would be disappointing if that happens. 

I really like his relationships with Will and Nancy, and it would be a shame to lose that. 

That said, his health does come first. It’s just an unfortunate situation all around. 

I hope that the people who run this show make it clear to him that he will be clean if and when he shows up for season 3, or he's off the show.

On a lighter note, GQ posted the (censored) version of Dacre's infamous audition video. No sight of the g-string, although I'm wonder if he was exaggerating that part. I do like that he went for the stache. I wonder if Billy was supposed to be secretly moonlighting as a stripper?

He's good. He's honestly really good. I'm still grappling with that because I think of him as boring Jason from the failed Power Rangers reboot film and I thought he'd fade back into relative obscurity when the movie tanked. But he might really be one to watch.

• Love 2

Jonathan would be an extremely easy character to write off. They never specified his grade the way they did with Steve (who was class of '85) and Nancy (who's class of '86 apparently) but they could just say he graduated with Steve and went off to college. If the third season starts in summer '85 (which is my guess) they can just say he went to summer session.

I don't see Jonathan going away for school. Sure, he hates Hawkins, but he's got a single mother and a little brother who has seen some shit, I don't see him rushing out of town or going to college when his family needs his help. I would rather they kill him off and raise the stakes, since we've only lost side characters and villains so far. But this all assumes the producers care about trace amounts of cocaine in luggage. It's not like they're dealing with a House of Cards scandal.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I don't see Jonathan going away for school. Sure, he hates Hawkins, but he's got a single mother and a little brother who has seen some shit, I don't see him rushing out of town or going to college when his family needs his help. I would rather they kill him off and raise the stakes, since we've only lost side characters and villains so far. But this all assumes the producers care about trace amounts of cocaine in luggage. It's not like they're dealing with a House of Cards scandal.

They have established that his dream is to go to NYU, so if they had to write him out, it would be pretty easy. I can also see Joyce and will encouraging him to go if he expressed hesitation about leaving them.

If they end up keeping him around, it would also be easy to say he decided to stay for the reasons that you mentioned.

As much as I do want Erika back next season, I'm not sure if I'd like her being "in the know" as there is already a lot of characters that do know and the show would lose something if everybody knew about the upside down.

Was I the only one actually not the slightest bit surprised by the news about Heaton? Seriously since season one, I thought the actor and Jonathan looked like a meth head. There was just something so sort of greasy looking about him. It's one of the reasons I can't really get into Jonathan and Nancy.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Was I the only one actually not the slightest bit surprised by the news about Heaton? Seriously since season one, I thought the actor and Jonathan looked like a meth head. There was just something so sort of greasy looking about him. It's one of the reasons I can't really get into Jonathan and Nancy.

*Raises both hands* That guy looks ROUGH. Like nearly Lindsay Lohan in her early/mid-20's rough, although minus the ill-advised dermablend fillers to try and fix the damage.

I would love if they would give Sadie that hairstyle. It's very, very mid/late 1980's. But alas, it doesn't seem like something tomboy  Max would wear.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

*Raises both hands* That guy looks ROUGH. Like nearly Lindsay Lohan in her early/mid-20's rough, although minus the ill-advised dermablend fillers to try and fix the damage.

I would love if they would give Sadie that hairstyle. It's very, very mid/late 1980's. But alas, it doesn't seem like something tomboy Sadie would wear.

Sadie has such great hair. There's something immensely likeable about both actress and character. It couldn't have been easy coming into such an established group, but I thought she was introduced pretty gracefully. Some actors can't pull off tough vulnerability, but she can. It's interesting because both she and Eleven are tough yet vulnerable in completely different ways. It's a study in contrasts. I swear, they have not missed a single beat with casting.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Sadie has such great hair. There's something immensely likeable about both actress and character. It couldn't have been easy coming into such an established group, but I thought she was introduced pretty gracefully. Some actors can't pull off tough vulnerability, but she can. It's interesting because both she and Eleven are tough yet vulnerable in completely different ways. It's a study in contrasts. I swear, they have not missed a single beat with casting.

I kind of wanted 11 to display some jealousy over Max's hair, harkening back to season 1 where she seems to think "hair equals pretty", but her brushing past Max was beautiful. And 11 has hair now, anyway.

Max is a character that could have gone very, very wrong, but she worked incredibly well.

• Love 1
On 8/24/2017 at 0:23 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

On Wednesday, November 8, Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein (the Stranger Things composers) will be performing the score from Stranger Things at the Ace Hotel Theatre. More info and tickets available here.

Just a reminder that this is happening tomorrow night!

1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

Yessss. Finally.

I'm guessing this was originally supposed to come out last week, but they got knocked badly off-schedule by the scandal around one of the site founders getting fired for harassment.

Here's the commentary by the ScreenJunkies writers.  I think one of them might be onto something when he says that besides nostalgia, part of the show's success might be some viewers seeing outcast kids(like they used to be) have their interests in nerdy things be validated and that they not only are listened to by adults but older high school kids want to hang out with them.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Here's the commentary by the ScreenJunkies writers.  I think one of them might be onto something when he says that besides nostalgia, part of the show's success might be some viewers seeing outcast kids(like they used to be) have their interests in nerdy things be validated and that they not only are listened to by adults but older high school kids want to hang out with them.

Good points. I actually think they hit the nail on the head  in the trailer when they said something about using this show to escape the real world. With the state of world affairs, and the general suckiness of being a millennial in particular (for me), it's pure escapism to watch a show where the good guys win, evil is defeated, and you can count on your fellow man. With a touch of the freedom that the 1980s brought for kids that no longer exists. And toss in universal adolescent issues that belong to every era.

When you think about how Shirley Temple movies were popular during the Depression because of the escapism, it's really no different from that. People have always clung to escapism during hard times.

Edited by EarlGreyTea

Besides Heaton getting a backlash on his drug use, Finn is getting a backlash from fans about how some fan criticized him for not stopping for an autograph when he went to his hotel room. I just thought it was pretty stupid since he is still a kid and I know where he is coming from because he is still young. Actors give you their art and that's it. They don't owe you anything. They are humans just like us. I just hope it turns alright for Finn at the end.

Finn under fire from fan backlash

Edited by Robert Lynch

Okay normally I wouldn't even post paparazzi photos of cast members but this photo of Charlie and Natalia is so ridiculously cool that I couldn't NOT to! It's such a contrast to their characters(the dorky loner and the "nice" girl) I didn't even know they were a thing IRL(I've learned not to ever ship actors offscreen):

DOEsLLfX0AAlTpt.jpg

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

Yeah, they were spotted together earlier this year so there were rumors that they were dating but when asked about it, they just made comments about how the cast is a big family and they all love each other.  It wasn’t until recently that the paps got photos of them holding hands in public and looking officially coupley. 

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

80,000 people buy Dustin's dino hoodie, crash Museum's website

And the Museum got a bunch of money, funny yet cool.  With the weather getting colder, I would wear that, I like odd sweatshirts.

The museum’s “Thunder Lizard” logo gear, featured in the first episode of Stranger Things 2, was sold in the mid-1980s as part of a traveling exhibit. Costume designer Kim Wilcox told Newsweek that the show’s team found an original online while hunting for vintage threads and loved it, so they bought it and made their own “with this great dinosaur art in Gaten’s size.”

On Tuesday, it was released online and over 80,000 hoodies were sold in a single day, temporarily crashing the museum’s website.

Given that the Science Museum is a non-profit, this can’t help but feel really, really good. Not only do Stranger Things fans get a piece of memorabilia, directly from the place it first came from, but the boom in sales will aid the museum’s mission to help kids learn more about science and the world around them.

I went to the website and clicked to buy and there's still madness - good for the Museum LOL:

You are now in line

You are in line for Stranger Things Hoodie. When it is your turn, you will have 10 minutes to enter the website.

What is this?

Your number in line: 26085
Number of users in line ahead of you: 20
Expected arrival time on the website: 8:41 PM

• Love 1

Dance battle on Fallon (Lucas, Noah, Finn, and Gaten):

Sadie, Millie, Gaten, Finn, and Lucas on Sirius:

Millie is freaked out by grown men wearing Eleven costumes:

This is from last year (after S1 but before S2) - Lucas's parents:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
13 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I honestly cannot get enough of this video...and the boys all have decent singing voices!

You should watch the videos of them singing before puberty hit. Gaten especially was amazing. They kind of all sound like "Peter Brady" to me now except Caleb. He's the oldest so his voice has stopped cracking. Poor Finn still can't dance to save his life!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

You should watch the videos of them singing before puberty hit. Gaten especially was amazing. They kind of all sound like "Peter Brady" to me now except Caleb. He's the oldest so his voice has stopped cracking. Poor Finn still can't dance to save his life!

Season One, I was a casual fan.  Season Two, I am really invested in these amazing young actors.  This thread is new to me and so far, I cannot believe the talent in these kids...they can act, sing and dance!  I was especially blown away by Gaten and Millie's singing voices.  I have a lot of video clips to watch. :)

23 hours ago, raven said:

80,000 people buy Dustin's dino hoodie, crash Museum's website

And the Museum got a bunch of money, funny yet cool.  With the weather getting colder, I would wear that, I like odd sweatshirts.

I went to the website and clicked to buy and there's still madness - good for the Museum LOL:

Cool story, although I am not sure Dustin of all people would support a shirt, in that era, with the word Brontosaurus on it. For most of the 20th century scientists felt that brontosaurus and apatosaurus were the same dinosaur, but since apatosaurus was discovered first, that was the official scientific name (brontosaurus was just a secondary common name). It was only later on (wikipedia says in the 90's) that it was determined that the two dinosaurs were different enough to be different species. 

Cool story, although I am not sure Dustin of all people would support a shirt, in that era, with the word Brontosaurus on it. For most of the 20th century scientists felt that brontosaurus and apatosaurus were the same dinosaur, but since apatosaurus was discovered first, that was the official scientific name (brontosaurus was just a secondary common name). It was only later on (wikipedia says in the 90's) that it was determined that the two dinosaurs were different enough to be different

I don't know, most of Dustin's season 2 arc is about discovering a new species, so I can see him being on Team Brontosaurus.

• Love 1
On 11/8/2017 at 11:30 AM, VCRTracking said:

Okay normally I wouldn't even post paparazzi photos of cast members but this photo of Charlie and Natalia is so ridiculously cool that I couldn't NOT to! It's such a contrast to their characters(the dorky loner and the "nice" girl) I didn't even know they were a thing IRL(I've learned not to ever ship actors offscreen):

DOEsLLfX0AAlTpt.jpg

I just hope for Natalia's sake he's not hardcore about his drug use. I still feel extremely bad for Lea Michele and Cory Montieth.

But yeah, it is a cool picture. And a reminder that Natalia is sooooo not her character, even though she plays it well.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Stranger Things has been renewed for a third season

To be honest, I was under the impression that it was already renewed for a third season, but maybe it was just talks about a third season.

It was a foregone conclusion that it was going to be renewed, but Netflix likes to play it coy for some reason. The way the Duffer brothers have talked about the writing process for season 2, I think the execs may actually wait until the showrunners pitch them on their basic plans for next season before officially giving the green light. So it's possible they have to wait for a) the Duffers to hash out their plans, and b) public reaction to the previous season to percolate, so they have a better sense of where they want next season to go.

• Love 1
On 12/1/2017 at 10:56 AM, Dev F said:

It was a foregone conclusion that it was going to be renewed, but Netflix likes to play it coy for some reason. The way the Duffer brothers have talked about the writing process for season 2, I think the execs may actually wait until the showrunners pitch them on their basic plans for next season before officially giving the green light. So it's possible they have to wait for a) the Duffers to hash out their plans, and b) public reaction to the previous season to percolate, so they have a better sense of where they want next season to go.

And it wasn't mentioned in the article, but I'm betting we won't see S3 until 2019. They've barely opened up the writers' room for S3 last month. So by the time they start filming it may well be early summer or maybe late spring. Then post-production and promo, and probably the earliest we're talking is January 2019. That is going to be a LONG wait.

Something I read elsewhere about S3 was interesting. It's time for cast to re-negotiate contracts, and there's word that Millie may negotiate separately from the other kids (I think they all made the same for S1 with the exception of Schnapp, who got a raise for S2). It makes a lot of sense, and God knows she does much of the heavy lifting, but to be a fly on the wall in that room! Personally I'd have advised them to go the Friends cast route, where they all negotiated together for equal pay. Very different circumstances, of course, but it seemed to create parity and more cast camaraderie. With the popularity of some of the kid actors over some of the others, I hope negotiations don't create any ill will or resentment between them.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 1

I wouldn't think that will happen. They have the support of their parents that would determine their decisions before the start of Season 3. It's not like the 1920s or 30s where child actors were making less money on film. The only successful child actor from that era was Shirley Temple. This is 2017. Child actors make more than their great grandparents did in the old days. Even the kids from Our Gang would wish they had that pay than the ones they had from the shorts.

On 12/3/2017 at 5:37 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

Something I read elsewhere about S3 was interesting. It's time for cast to re-negotiate contracts, and there's word that Millie may negotiate separately from the other kids (I think they all made the same for S1 with the exception of Schnapp, who got a raise for S2). It makes a lot of sense, and God knows she does much of the heavy lifting, but to be a fly on the wall in that room! Personally I'd have advised them to go the Friends cast route, where they all negotiated together for equal pay. Very different circumstances, of course, but it seemed to create parity and more cast camaraderie. With the popularity of some of the kid actors over some of the others, I hope negotiations don't create any ill will or resentment between them.

I think they're technically all signed to six-year contracts already, so it may be different from the typical situation where the actors and the studio negotiate over whether they'll stay on the show or walk. I'm not sure what leverage the actors have in this situation, but I'd guess it's about persuading Netflix to be magnanimous to avoid bad publicity and ensure that the kids continue to participate enthusiastically in publicity and marketing efforts. Hopefully it's less fraught than a stay-or-walk situation, especially since the show's a big enough hit that Netflix can afford to spread the love.

Interview with Gaten Matarazzo

Slightly spoilery if you haven't seen S2.

Aw, he really likes Joe Keery (Steve):

And Joe Keery is someone that he "looks up to."

"He is very smart. Very talented. Funny. Kind," he says. "We have serious conversations. We talk about work a lot and what we want to do when we are older ... He is considerate about your opinion. He never argues. If you're having a bad day, he listens."

On 12/3/2017 at 6:37 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

And it wasn't mentioned in the article, but I'm betting we won't see S3 until 2019. They've barely opened up the writers' room for S3 last month. So by the time they start filming it may well be early summer or maybe late spring. Then post-production and promo, and probably the earliest we're talking is January 2019. That is going to be a LONG wait.

They'll need a time jump in the show.  The kids definitely looked more than just one year older to me in S2.  They'll grow even more for S3.

• Love 1