Type keyword(s) to search

Media Things

• Start Topic

Okay, that song was the best choice for the trailer. I got the chills.

Please tell me that Will doesn't have that bowl cut anymore. I don't care how old the actors are playing teenagers, that just makes it like every other teen show. I do care about that damn bowl cut that is from the 70s not the 80s. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Did a re-watch of all 3 seasons & couldn't help laughing at the season 2 open when Elle gets off the bus in Chicago.  The soundtrack is playing "Runaway" by Bon Jovi. 

And just who is Millie Bobby Brown dating?  It would be TOO hilarious if they managed to drop in a scene with her checking out a Bon Jovi cassette and saying "Wow, Richie Sambora is SO hot!"

*ROFL

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

I'm not sure where to ask this. So I'll put it here despite in not really belonging in this thread. Are there going to be individual episode threads? I might be watching with my husband who isn't a binger (is that even a word?). And unless I pull ahead (which I often do), we'll be watching it at a slower pace. Just wondering. 

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 5/25/2022 at 5:55 PM, blueray said:

I'm not sure where to ask this. So I'll put it here despite in not really belonging in this thread. Are there going to be individual episode threads? I might be watching with my husband who isn't a binger (is that even a word?). And unless I pull ahead (which I often do), we'll be watching it at a slower pace. Just wondering. 

It's always a crapshoot when a show drops a new season. Especially when we've been waiting as long as we have for this. 

Some people do the binge thing, and don't post in any individual threads, just head straight for the last episode thread and do a brain-dump there covering all the available episodes.  Or they'll do that, then do a re-watch, THEN post in the individual threads. 

Some, like me, will do comments after I watch each episode.  I may watch the entire set over a weekend, but I like to talk a bit about each individual show while it's still fresh in my mind.  

I have several shows to catch up on tonight, so won't be starting ST until tomorrow (Saturday).  But I will take the time to post some thoughts after each show.  

tl;dr

It varies by the individual. 

Edited by SnapHappy
9 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Was it here I was reading about Will's birthday? The Duffer Brothers have explained it. It makes me wonder if that date has significance to one of them in real life.

My theory was that it was precisely the opposite: they just sort of backed into the dates for this season based on when spring break would kick off that year, and didn't even think about whether they'd match up to anything meaningful.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

George Stroumboulopolous (a Canadian... entertainment... media person? - fellow Canadians, help me out on this?) shared this on Twitter today, which I thought was pretty interesting. George also shared a link to an article by The Guardian from 2013 with a bit more info about Damien.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, mledawn said:

George Stroumboulopolous (a Canadian... entertainment... media person? - fellow Canadians, help me out on this?) shared this on Twitter today, which I thought was pretty interesting. George also shared a link to an article by The Guardian from 2013 with a bit more info about Damien.

Wikipedia says he is a media personality and broadcaster, so your description works as well as any!
I met him once, at the funeral of a family friend. Not that I am intending to play into the stereotypes about how all Canadians know each other 😉

I had never actually heard of that case, so that is an interesting read. I can't say I like the Eddie character at all, but I don't dislike him either. It would be interesting if they did actually send him down this road though - law enforcement doesn't believe in the Vecna, and Eddie ends up being convicted.

1 hour ago, secnarf said:

Wikipedia says he is a media personality and broadcaster, so your description works as well as any!
I met him once, at the funeral of a family friend. Not that I am intending to play into the stereotypes about how all Canadians know each other 😉

I met Strombo through a friend also - we’re just upholding the stereotype in spite of our best efforts!

I can unfortunately see Eddie being expendable to the cast. His downfall or death would hold impact as much of the audience has become sympathetic to his situation. I guess we shall see in a few weeks.

• Love 2
(edited)
53 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

That one doesn’t work for me. Anyone have another link?

I looked for a while for trailers before I found this one on imdb.  Sorry it doesn't work.  Both have some interesting hints 

Spoiler

In particular, I hate the scene of Will sobbing and clutching Jonathan.  It makes me fear that his inevitable conversation with Mike won't go well.  In or both of the two, Robin is shown back in the upside down with bestie Steve and Nancy.  Also, I thought it was interesting that Dustin and ? are wearing costumes similar to those worn by Suzie's sword wielding siblings.   

Edited by Thalia

It did work for me on my computer but I believe it's the same one that aired after the volume 1 episodes.

In particular, I hate the scene of Will sobbing and clutching Jonathan. 

Yes, that made me sad. Will is my absolute fave and it's like can he just have a moment of peace for fuck's sake!

• Sad 1

Newbie here. I just started watching this show about a month ago, since I love the 1980s. I just came here to say that is it just me, or is this show definitely getting stranger and stranger? I’m on Season 4 now, the episode right before “Dear Billy” (which I heard a lot of pizzazz about online). All the trailers I have watched look very ominous…I’m excited to see what’s in store for the rest of this season!

• Like 2

Leaning hard into Kate Bush and I'm glad. I love Kate Bush and wish she had gotten more recognition. This trailer also seems to have more Sadie Sink, along with El, hopefully in recognition of how good SS was in the first part. 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

Leaning hard into Kate Bush and I'm glad. I love Kate Bush and wish she had gotten more recognition. 

Ms. Kate is definitely getting it now; she owns 100% of the rights to “Running Up That Hill” - and between (a) performance royalties every time somebody watches/rewatches a ST episode with her music in it and (b) sales on streaming platforms, she’s reportedly pulling in $200K/day at the very least.

ETA: That $200K is the lowball value, btw; I’ve read estimations of up to $1M/day.

Edited by Nashville
  • Applause 4
  • Love 3

I wonder if KB knew the song would be used to such an extent before Season 4 (1-7) aired.  It is a great tune and perfect for Max and the show.  I downloaded it myself, and I don't remember it from back in the day.

• Love 1

That song is now completely ruined. It's ubiquitous. Every creator on any social media platform is using it for their background. It was fantastic in the show but I am so far over it, words cannot adequately express.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, mledawn said:

That song is now completely ruined. It's ubiquitous. Every creator on any social media platform is using it for their background. It was fantastic in the show but I am so far over it, words cannot adequately express.

I cannot overstate the joy I feel with the heavy curating of my SM experience. I haven't heard the song on anything but SiriusXM which has upped its rotation on the appropriate stations. 

I am happy KB is getting the recognition and money she deserved back in the 1980s.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 2
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, mledawn said:

Same.  It’s being beaten into the ground.

2 hours ago, xaxat said:

How Stranger Things' Costume Designer Created Every Character's Season 4 Look

Oh, that was awesome! I enjoyed seeing the 'why' behind all the character's clothing. I especially loved seeing why El was dressing so awkwardly. It makes sense that she would be trying to pair some of the stuff she bought while shopping with Max with hand-me-downs from Joyce and Will and Jonathan but not really knowing what goes together and what doesn't, and she doesn't have any female friends her age to give her advice. So in light of that it's understandable that her outfits just look strange and not really put together.

The only two things I call BS on are:

Lucas' basketball shoes. They didn't have any kind of ankle support at all, and you really do need that for actually playing ball and not just wearing shoes for fashion; and

Robin's borrowed outfit for when she and Nancy go to visit Victor Creel in prison. A costume designer is not going to miss that one actress is 5" taller than the other and they have completely different builds, LOL. She should have pointed out that Nancy would need to raid her mother's closet for better fitting clothes for Robin.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Taryn74 said:

Oh, that was awesome! I enjoyed seeing the 'why' behind all the character's clothing. I especially loved seeing why El was dressing so awkwardly. It makes sense that she would be trying to pair some of the stuff she bought while shopping with Max with hand-me-downs from Joyce and Will and Jonathan but not really knowing what goes together and what doesn't, and she doesn't have any female friends her age to give her advice. So in light of that it's understandable that her outfits just look strange and not really put together.

The only two things I call BS on are:

Lucas' basketball shoes. They didn't have any kind of ankle support at all, and you really do need that for actually playing ball and not just wearing shoes for fashion; and

Robin's borrowed outfit for when she and Nancy go to visit Victor Creel in prison. A costume designer is not going to miss that one actress is 5" taller than the other and they have completely different builds, LOL. She should have pointed out that Nancy would need to raid her mother's closet for better fitting clothes for Robin.

I liked how El's disaster of a style came together too!

Lucas' shoes were 100% legit - I mean, Converse made them for the show. An image search for 1986 Lakers kicks out pics showing Kareem Abdul-Jabar and James Worthy wearing lows and mids respecively. This pic of Jerry Sichting has him wearing shoes that look pretty similar to Lucas'. I hope Caleb got to keep those because how cool is it to have your own shoes!?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

It was interesting to hear that they looked through yearbooks from each location from the years in question to make sure they got the trends right. I loved all the work that went into stuff like Eddie's vest and Murray's custom-made wardrobe. Seeing Dustin's scantron shirt up close was also really cool. I would wear that!

• Love 1

From David Harbour's interview post-finale with GQ so don't read if you haven't seen S4):
"So, the most pertinent question of all: where are they with season five? “I think we’ll [shoot] next year. They’re finishing writing it this year, and they need to prep and stuff, so hopefully it’ll be this year,” Harbour says. “But I think that’s the plan. So it’d probably come out mid-2024, based on our track record.”"

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

‘Stranger Things’ Spinoff, Stage Play in the Works at Netflix as Duffer Brothers Expand Development Slate

Among the new projects they have in development, the Duffers are officially working on a “Stranger Things” spinoff series, though exact plot details remain under wraps. The show will be based on an original idea by the Duffers with Upside Down Pictures and 21 Laps producing. The Duffers have previously said that the show would not focus on characters like Eleven or Steve Harrington.

In addition, a stage play set within the world and mythology of “Stranger Things” is in the works. It will be produced by Sonia Friedman, Stephen Daldry, and Netflix. Daldry will also direct. 21 Laps serves as associate producer.

Hm.

• Useful 1

Stranger Things Co-Creator Responds to Millie Bobby Brown's Call for More Deaths: 'This Is Hawkins, Not Westeros'

Matt Duffer, during the brothers’ visit to the Happy Sad Confused podcast, addressed Brown’s comments, saying, “Believe us, we’ve explored all options in the writing room,” but “We aren’t Game of Thrones,” he attested. “This is Hawkins, it’s not Westeros.”

Matt Duffer explained that Stranger Things wouldn’t be Stranger Things anymore if there were deaths for death’s sake, and without “realistic” ramifications.

When Barb dies [in Season 1], it’s two seasons’ worth of grappling with that,” Matt reminded. “Every death has impact.”

That said, “As we’re moving into the final season, more of that is on the table,” he added. Then, with a nod to Brown’s “Sensitive Sallies” characterization of the writers, he said, “There is logic behind it, and has nothing to do with my sensitivity.”

• Like 2

From the Hollywood Reporter (7/6/22):  The Duffer Bros are working on plans for "a series adaptation of Stephen King and Peter Straub’s The Talisman. . . .The Talisman was teased as part of the season four finale of Stranger Things. In one of the final scenes, Lucas (Caleb McLaughlin) reads an excerpt from the book to girlfriend Max (Sadie Sink), as her fate remains up in the air heading into the final season. The Hollywood Reporter exclusively revealed the Duffers and King would be teaming on the series back in 2021."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/stranger-things-spinoff-play-duffer-brothers-1235176094/

• Love 1
On 7/7/2022 at 7:58 PM, Thalia said:

From the Hollywood Reporter (7/6/22):  The Duffer Bros are working on plans for "a series adaptation of Stephen King and Peter Straub’s The Talisman. . . .The Talisman was teased as part of the season four finale of Stranger Things. In one of the final scenes, Lucas (Caleb McLaughlin) reads an excerpt from the book to girlfriend Max (Sadie Sink), as her fate remains up in the air heading into the final season. The Hollywood Reporter exclusively revealed the Duffers and King would be teaming on the series back in 2021."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/stranger-things-spinoff-play-duffer-brothers-1235176094/

I read that when I was a kid.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I am sure this was mentioned somewhere on this forum, but I am very late to the party of finding out that Natalie Dyer and Charlie Heaton are a real life couple. 

Which makes their characters' utter lack of any chemistry something else.  I guess (?) they're being told to play it that way?