Type keyword(s) to search

Nashville in the Media

'Nashville' to Air Second 'On the Record' Music Special

In addition, country superstar Reba McEntire will perform her single, "Going Out Like That." Nashville castmembers set to participate in the special include Clare Bowen, Chris Carmack, Will Chase, Charles Esten, Jonathan Jackson, Sam Palladio, Maisy and Lennon Stella and Aubrey Peeples.

The special, a follow-up to last year's On the Record, will be taped on Saturday, Jan. 31, at the Grand Ole Opry House, with tickets going on sale on Wednesday at 10 a.m. central time.

Newspaper article today "Long Live the King" about life of Elvis Presley (had he not died in 1977) included the following, "He guests in a multi-episode Nashville arc asking if Elvis is Deacon's father. (He's not.)"

Where did this show go? It was off the air for a really long time, came back for a few episodes, then went away again. It looks like it won't be back again until 3/25, but that's another singing/interview show, not the series. I can barely remember what's going on, why are they doing this?

• Love 2

MM - Is there another site to connect to because I'm not a twitter follower and if not can you post what Connie and Chip said. Thanks..

Edited by Sutton

Love the Stellas, and loved Maisy's stick eye at Lennon at the implication that she was unhappy about the amount of time she had in the spotlight. Here's hoping that if N'ville gets a 4th season that Maisy will actually get a storyline of her own. It's high time.

• Love 5

Short article about the Nashville tour beginning this week.

Where did this show go? It was off the air for a really long time, came back for a few episodes, then went away again. It looks like it won't be back again until 3/25, but that's another singing/interview show, not the series. I can barely remember what's going on, why are they doing this?

I'm a little late on this, but it's the usual scheduling issues intended to ensure that there are new episodes during February and May sweeps. There is no way for a network show to run 22 brand new episodes in a row from October through May (which is way more than 22 weeks) so they always schedule hiatuses in between sweeps. After Christmas break, we got five new Nashville episodes in a row and then three weeks off (only two if you count Off the Record as an episode) and now we are in the midst of eight new episodes in a row that continue until the end of the season.

24 was one of the rare network shows that actually showed the entire season without any breaks, and that was only after they moved the premiere to January in S4. Lost did the same thing in their fourth season too (moved the beginning of the season to January so they could show the entire season uninterrupted).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Just finally watched those video clips. These people seem so genuinely sweet!! I'm getting very attached to all of their characters, and i'm officially going to be devastated if they don't get renewed for season 4. Like, i'm stressing out just thinking about it!!!!

This past Friday Chip Esten performed at The Grand Ole Opry here in Nashville.  In today's Tennessean was this headline and brief article:

WE FOUND DEACON ALIVE

The Tennessean found Deacon Claybourne.  When ABC's "Nashville" aired the last show of its season last week, it was unclear if Charles Esten's character, Deacon Claybourne, lived or died.  The Tennessean found Esten alive and well on the "Grand Ole Opry stage Friday night.  To see photos from Esten's performance, as well as the other singers on the show, visit www.tennessean.com/music.

Enjoy!

I like Eric Close enough, but I'm not too surprised.  It feels like the show never really knew what to do with Ted ever since he won the election way back in season one. Most of the time, he really was almost on his own island, dealing with political stuff, and rarely allowed in the main story.

That said, I do hope he comes back as a guest at least (even if it's just a Coleman like send-off), and I do hope his arrest isn't blown over, and we see how it effects everyone, especially Daphine.  Daphine should be a wreck over her actual father being locked up.

• Love 1

I'm hoping for some good angst for Daphne this season. Maisy's ready for it and it would make for an interesting storyline for Deacon and Rayna - dealing with his recovery, Teddy's arrest, Daphne's emotions, and her relationship with the new family.

• Love 2

I have faith in Deacon being the compassionate person he is will take the reins and help Teddy in any way he can. He will assure Teddy that he will be there for Daphne as a father figure as Teddy was for Maddie. (I can only hope the series does right by both men)

(edited)

This doesn't really qualify as being about Nashville the show, but it is about Nashville the industry, and I thought given the discussions that have gone on across threads about how the next season will deal with the storyline of newly-out Will, I thought this article about Ty Herndon might be of interest. Considering that he's so far pretty much the only male country star to have the guts to come out (and did so after the character of Will Lexington had been created, so it's not as if Will could have been patterned on him, let alone the future, fictional, audience reaction to him):
Country Star Ty Herndon Hopes His Latest Project Marks A Shift Towards A More LGBT-Friendly Nashville
A little quote:

"I have parents bringing 15-year-olds to my shows, and they say, 'My kid just came out, and he wants to be a singer. And all I can do is look at them and go, 'My God, look at this special kid you have,'" he said. "And then, I'll have a 75-year-old man come to my show and say, 'I just came out to my entire family, and I was received with love.'"
"I relate to that struggle on so many levels. To see that kid having such a chance at life because he was so brave so early, and yet to understand the 75-year-old man who is finally at peace with himself because he was able to walk out of that fear… if I've been a small part of any of that, it really is humbling. I receive that," he added.

The problem I see is: if they were to put lines like these in Will Lexington's mouth, it would just sound overly sentimental, preachy and perhaps unrealistically optimistic. But in this case, it's being said for real, by a guy who does have real-life Nashville credentials. (And a past personal history much more disastrous, in several ways, than Will's has been - for starters, Will only had the one sham marriage, Ty Herndon had two. And there's not just women, there's also men, and booze, and drugs, and bankruptcy! His life, really, could be the basis for a million plainful country songs. Will is the picture of sanity and good judgement in comparison.)

Edited by SailingBy
  • Love 1

What I worry about with Will's story is the reaction of some of the fans. There's was such a blowup over having the First Lady give a 5 second video talk to the troops at Ft. Campbell, saying they were politicizing the show, so I worry that some fans won't be too interested in watching a true relationship between gay men. I don't know, hopefully the two don't correlate and we'll get to see something real between Will and Kevin.

I have faith in Deacon being the compassionate person he is will take the reins and help Teddy in any way he can. He will assure Teddy that he will be there for Daphne as a father figure as Teddy was for Maddie. (I can only hope the series does right by both men)

That's exactly what I'm hoping for too Sutton, but no matter how compassionate and careful Deacon is Daphne is still going to be suffering and I wouldn't expect her to be immediately welcoming given her desire to move back in with Teddy last season.

• Love 3

Just read where Jonathan Jackson is returning to "General Hospital" to give a send-off to Anthony Geary.  I never watched that show, but apparently JJ played Lucky, who was Geary's character's (Luke) son.

• Love 1

Just thought I'd post a link to an interview with Ty Herndon, which I ran across by accident. It includes questions about the obvious parallels between him and Will Lexington, and he's asked if he would like to be a guest star on Nashville:

‘Oh my goodness yes,’ he said. ‘That show has changed the landscape of Nashville and it came at a great time because Nashville is on the world stage now – not because of the show, we were headed that way because of the music. To have a television show like that come into town and be so successful, we are getting a lot of traffic in Nashville. It takes my mama 20 minutes to get to the beauty shop now because of the traffic – we’re growing so much!’

The whole thing is at GayStarNews.com (who comes up with these stupid names for websites?)
  • Love 1
(edited)

Oliver Hudson (Jeff) is now a regular on FOX's upcoming "Scream Queens".  Apparently, he only signed a one-year contract so, if "Nashville" gets picked up, no more Jeff.

http://tvline.com/2015/03/13/oliver-hudson-scream-queens-replacing-joe-manganiello/#more-596489

Nooooooooooooooo!! Why does this keep happening to me?? Although, if Scream Queens is new wouldn't they already have filmed a bunch of episodes and depending on how many they've ordered he should still be able to come in and tie up his Nashville story.

Edited by slayer2

Oliver is back down to recurring on Nashville, so we'll still see him. Yay for Slayer2 anyway.

I hate them making Aubrey a regular. Her character has changed personalities more times than most people change underwear and the poor child just can't act her way out of a paper bag. And the last thing we need is MORE storylines on this show.

With all the screen time Layla had, I'm surprised they didn't make Aubrey a regular last year. They must've been afraid she'd run off to another series this year and so signed her.

I have to wonder why they thought she would be so red hot that someone would snatch her up.

She is seriously the worst actress on this show and I can say with certainty that it takes her about a million takes to get her lines even close to decent and by the time she is done, Callie and everyone in video village are about to snap. Her only saving grace is her voice.

I am beyond confused and annoyed by this decision.

I can say with certainty that it takes her about a million takes to get her lines even close to decent and by the time she is done, Callie and everyone in video village are about to snap.

You know this how?

With all the screen time Layla had, I'm surprised they didn't make Aubrey a regular last year. They must've been afraid she'd run off to another series this year and so signed her.

Probably since she was cast as lead in the Jem and the Holograms movie.

You know this how?

I worked on set regularly as an extra for seasons 2 and 3.

The scene of her talking to the interviewer backstage at the Opry in 3x15 was particularly painful.

I guess the showrunners see something in her, because it would be easy to write her off (hell, they had a prime opportunity to kill her not long ago). I like her voice and her acting doesn't stick out to me as particularly awful; it's the way they're writing her that's been annoying me lately. The Layla they first introduced would never have let Jeff walk all over her the way he does.

I guess the showrunners see something in her, because it would be easy to write her off (hell, they had a prime opportunity to kill her not long ago). I like her voice and her acting doesn't stick out to me as particularly awful; it's the way they're writing her that's been annoying me lately. The Layla they first introduced would never have let Jeff walk all over her the way he does.

Layla's had 4 or 5 different personalities since she arrived on the show, and none of them through natural progression. They just choose a Layla that suits them for whatever the occasion and go from there. She has a decent voice and a different sound than the others, but that's the only attraction I can see for her, certainly no reason to promote her beyond recurring.

If you're in Nashville (the town, not the show) this Saturday and you want to see Jonathan Jackson perform for free (as JJ, not as Avery) just show up at Centennial Park, Musician's Corner, around 4:00.  I'll be there!

Also, October 3rd marks the 90th anniversary of the Grand Ole Opry and several "Nashville" stars are performing in different shows.  They're all sold out, but I just thought I'd mention it.

• Love 1

Also, October 3rd marks the 90th anniversary of the Grand Ole Opry and several "Nashville" stars are performing in different shows.  They're all sold out, but I just thought I'd mention it.

I'm pretty sure Carrie Underwood is singing at the anniversary too, and her Opry shows usually sell out as soon as they're announced.  The anniversary show could end up being replayed on GAC at a later date.  They've done it in the past with their anniversary shows.  At the very least they'll put some of the performances up on youtube and can be watched that way.

Edited by Stuffy