Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

(edited)
20 minutes ago, anneofcleves said:

Ladd's breakfast show was worse than anticipated.  Really, really boring food.  The only thing that was comical was that she flipped her sticky buns FROM one of her Pioneer Woman cast iron fry pans INTO another Pioneer Woman cast iron fry pan.  If you want to make his recipe, fans, you have to buy two of her pans as well as be able to easily lift 40 pounds. I'm kind of surprised she doesn't have a deal going with the cable companies for a "buy now" button at the bottom of the screen!

And if you haven't seen the show yet, friends, don your sun glasses -Ree just had her color done.  grisgris did warn us, and I should have listened.

What a stark contrast this was to Ina's new pasta episode that aired today, where I literally want to make and eat every recipe.

Ian's pasta show was amazing.  I'm rediscovering my love of  pasta and,  Oh my,  everything  looked delicious! 

Ree's breakfast was so boring lots of meat potatoes and eggs... Whew,  Who'd of thunk it! 

Last week or a couple weeks ago Ree made her strawberry gazpacho.  Food Network followed that with Ina making her traditional gazpacho lol. 

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 5
(edited)
21 hours ago, anneofcleves said:

And if you haven't seen the show yet, friends, don your sun glasses -Ree just had her color done.  grisgris did warn us, and I should have listened.

And I could deal with the hair if she managed her skin color better, no tan, no blush, no tinted foundation just pure geisha level whiteness.  She's past white and is moving to translucent; she's going toward clear and not in the crazy Scientology sense.  Somebody really needs to take her aside and help her manage the hair/skin/makeup balance.

As for the show - I usually like just watching, half paying attention to see what she'll come up with.  Once in a blue moon something pops up where I think maybe I'll try that.  But this time, it was a half hour show for only one true recipe (the buns).  The potatoes weren't really a recipe, the ham even less (brush on honey aaannnnnd - done) and the rest came down to take out of package slap into skillet.  She managed to make her show into five minutes of "cooking" and 20 minutes of merc commercial. 

Edited by sigmaforce86
or and of are not the same thing!
  • Love 7

I'm 12 and beyond bored with what most of Ree does.  So when she kept talking about the crispy bits in the potatoes, in my mind I heard Austin Powers saying "dangly bits" and I laughed and laughed.

I also laughed at Ladd being so hungry after "feeding."  Just like he's the vampire I always thought he was.

• Love 5

It's becoming more and more difficult for me to think of Ree's show as a cooking show.  With the increasing presence of Ladd and the increasing emphasis on the Merc, it seems like the cooking parts of the show are on the back burner, so to speak.  It's also been a while since Ree has introduced me to new, fun or exciting recipes that I want to run to the kitchen and try.  I find that most of her offerings are things that I already make in some form, so my only "entertainment" is watching her make them.  With her addition to everything with a lot of heat, though, I have no desire to make any of her dishes at home.  We enjoy a little "heat," but not Ree's level of heat!

The constant screen shots and chatter about the Merc make me feel that I'm watching a 30-minute ad.  When will you begin to cook some original, never-seen-before recipes, Ree?  The Merc is not the gourmet capitol of the U.S. or even of Oklahoma, so stop talking about its incredible menu as if it's something that would rival the menu of a real restaurant of note!  The best you can say about it is that the portions are large.  You've said it and shown it -- now, move on!

• Love 7
(edited)
On 6/16/2017 at 3:19 AM, Lura said:

It's becoming more and more difficult for me to think of Ree's show as a cooking show.  With the increasing presence of Ladd and the increasing emphasis on the Merc, it seems like the cooking parts of the show are on the back burner, so to speak.  It's also been a while since Ree has introduced me to new, fun or exciting recipes that I want to run to the kitchen and try.  I find that most of her offerings are things that I already make in some form, so my only "entertainment" is watching her make them.  With her addition to everything with a lot of heat, though, I have no desire to make any of her dishes at home.  We enjoy a little "heat," but not Ree's level of heat!

The constant screen shots and chatter about the Merc make me feel that I'm watching a 30-minute ad.  When will you begin to cook some original, never-seen-before recipes, Ree?  The Merc is not the gourmet capitol of the U.S. or even of Oklahoma, so stop talking about its incredible menu as if it's something that would rival the menu of a real restaurant of note!  The best you can say about it is that the portions are large.  You've said it and shown it -- now, move on!

Has Ree ever produced a recipe that seemed truly new and something that was truly her own?  I'm genuinely curious.

I know that, like with music, cooks borrow from each other and reinvent or update old versions, but that's all Ree seems to do.  Most of her offerings are direct rip offs with no attribution to the source or history of them.  Rarely, she'll give a nod to Missy (the sugar cookie tarts), or a friend, but most of the time she's presenting it on her show like "Looky what I came up with."  Most recently I noticed her taking smug credit for "elevating" canned tomato soup, and in particular her world famous "Seven Can (Death by Sodium) Soup."

I think her recent 'competition for Ladd's attention' show, where she's showing us how to assemble a standard breakfast platter put me over the edge.  She's pretty much an infomercial for her brand, the ranch, the Merc, Walmart, and Ford trucks.  She may smile constantly with her "aw shucks" smirk, but more and more she comes off as being, simply and shamelessly, greedy.  I'm fine with people making lots of money for what they do well, but she doesn't even do it well.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 9
(edited)

Hahahahahaha.  In today's episode making brunch for Chuck, she passed off a Michelle Duggar recipe as her own!  My daughter and I were watching her make her  famous apple dumplings and my daughter recognized the recipe from Ma Duggar's collection (amazing Semi Ho by the way if you happen to google).  

Ree changed a few thing up, like not melting the sugar completely, used a little more butter (of course), and added some vanilla.  But it was ingredient for ingredient, right down to the Mountain Dew, a rip off.  A rip off of a recipe that would make Sandra Lee blush.  Yes, fans of The Merc, this is your culinary goddess.

Hahahahahahaaaa.  Jim Bob should sue!!  

Michelle Duggar's Apple Dumplings (http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/19-kids-and-counting/michelle-duggars-blog/duggars-snacking-secrets-plus-michelles-recipe-homemade-apple-dumplings/)

2-3 cans crescent rolls (or biscuits)

3-4 apples (peeled & cut into chunks)

1 1/2 sticks butter

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 t. cinnamon

1 can (12 oz.) Mountain Dew (or 7-Up)

Flatten biscuits with hands; put apple chunks in and pinch sides shut. Place in a 9x13 baking dish. Bake at 350? for 10-15 min (until they are no longer gooey). In small saucepan, melt butter, sugar and cinnamon. Pour over dumplings. Pour Mountain Dew over all. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Enjoy!

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 6
(edited)

Nobody likes a spoil sport, I know, but legally, Ree's recipe is her own.  It is not considered to be a copy of the Duggar recipe because [1} she has included other ingredients, (2) she has reworded the directions.  Still, I think most people would agree that any prominent cook with a TV show of her own would try much harder to make her recipes at least appear to be original!  Ree has no shame.  If she can steal a few bucks under the table from a fellow cook, she'll do it.  (Notice how she claimed her mother made this dish for years.)  That could be.  I think the whole thing hinges on the fact that if Ree had a little more class and were not so transparent about grabbing for dollars, most people wouldn't care.

Anne of Cleves, you and your daughter would make Sherlock Holmes proud!  LOL

ETA:  I just googled "Mountain Dew recipes," and the very first one is from the Food Network, but it's someone else's, not Ree's.  She really has no shame!

http://www.food.com/recipe/mountain-dew-apple-dumplings-61755

Edited by Lura
  • Love 3

What in the fresh hell did I just watch?

Once again ... with those grits ... STOP! ENOUGH! LESS IS MORE!!! Cream, jalapenos, bacon, a boatload of cheddar cheese, then mascarpone!!! Actually, Ree pronounced it "mars-car-pony," which had all of the mis/pronunciation bases covered.

I know that my mom was rolling in her grave at the horrible crime committed against a beautiful rib roast.  That was Mom's all time favorite meat and to "f" it up with spices of any type was gut-wrenching. Ree even said that she typically would just use salt and pepper. Then she mentioned seasoning salt. But don't stop there ...

Those apple things looked truly disgusting and I can't imagine anybody with a taste bud mistaking canned dough drenched in sugar and soda pop for some "fancy French dessert." Jacques Pepin/Julia Child vs. Michelle Duggar/Ree Drummond --  I don't think so.

I can't listen to Chuck talk for very long because I always have a involuntary need to clear my throat.   A thought crossed my mind where I pictured the Chuck and Ladd knocking back some Buds and watching old DVDs of "Dallas" and studying scenes with Jim Davis and Larry Hagman, slapping their hands and chortling, "We got this!" in anticipation of filming this episode.. /eyeroll.

I am now convinced more than ever that Ree not only wants to knock-off Ladd but Chuck, as well. She's been working on Edna Mae slowly and who knows what she has in mind for Nan. The Creepy Clown Serial Killer of Osage County strikes again!

• Love 6

I know that my mom was rolling in her grave at the horrible crime committed against a beautiful rib roast.  

And how many people can afford to hack up a rib roast for "breakfast steaks?" And I sort of (barely) get adding sugar to a spice rub to help with caramelization, but it seems like the amount of sugar added was nearly equal to the amount of spices. The ratio seems off and you'd probably end up with a super sweet steak. 

While the apple dumplings were super Semi-Ho, Aunt Sandy would have figured out a way to get apple brandy into the recipe to enhance the apple flavor. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, sabretooth said:

While the apple dumplings were super Semi-Ho, Aunt Sandy would have figured out a way to get apple brandy into the recipe to enhance the apple flavor. 

Aunt Sandy would do a quality control check on the apple brandy -  drinking a few shot glasses full & then add the rest to the dumplings.  She had an attention to detail.  ;)                                              

• Love 9

I almost forgot something from yesterday's episode that also chapped (get it! hee!) my you-know-what.

Ree mistook Kansas City for St. Louis when she was mutilating Chuck's already not-funny story about putting some kid on a cattle train. Them's fightin' (hee! get it, again?) words up here in the NE part of the state. There is a HUGE rivalry between Kansas City and St. Louis.

Back during my craziest most cringeworthy days on TWoP, I worked for a company in St. Louis in their Kansas City office. I frequently had to make the boring 4-hour trek eastward across the state to go to the home office. Every summer I had to show up for the company outing for a Cardinals game. One time, by the short straw, the Cards were playing the KC Royals. This was when the Cardinals were good and the Royals sucked. I was prepared for the humiliation. Ha! Ha! The Royals soundly beat the redbirds.

Anyway, Ree (peat) if you're trying to suck up anyway, have the good sense (and manners) to let the old geezer tell his story. That was flat-out embarrassing.

• Love 3
On 6/17/2017 at 10:53 AM, anneofcleves said:

Hahahahahaha.  In today's episode making brunch for Chuck, she passed off a Michelle Duggar recipe as her own!  

Who is to say Michelle Duggar created it?   Just because TLC put it on their website under Michelle's name does not mean she developed it.

At this point, there are no totally original recipes by anyone.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, smiley13 said:

Who is to say Michelle Duggar created it?   Just because TLC put it on their website under Michelle's name does not mean she developed it.

Ree?

• Love 7
(edited)

I have come to the conclusion that Ree makes up little stories when she cooks, designed to show us how savvy she is, and a case in point is the sugar in the steak rub.  While I doubt that a little sugar in the rub could make much difference, I can't see how a small amount would affect the caramelization one iota.  I think that Ree tells these little white lies to appear to be more knowledgeable than her audience.  With a decent rub and some searing heat, steaks will caramelize beautifully with or without sugar.  We all know that Ree is a sugar addict -- and she's admitted it herself.  My own solution to Ree's constant add-ons is to use her recipe as a guide, using all of her basic ingredients, eliminating any ingredient if it doesn't seem to fit into my or my family's tastes.  It actually gives me a sense of satisfaction to "de-Ree" one of her recipes!                                                                                                                                         

Edited by Drogo
Removed blank space.
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Lura said:

My own solution to Ree's constant add-ons is to use her recipe as a guide, using all of her basic ingredients, eliminating any ingredient if it doesn't seem to fit into my or my family's tastes.  It actually gives me a sense of satisfaction to "de-Ree" one of her recipes!                                                                                                                                         

No Reecipes for you ; )

On 6/19/2017 at 9:01 PM, anneofcleves said:

Ree?

LOL

• Love 4
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:42 PM, smiley13 said:

Both of those idiots claimed the recipe as "their own"

• Love 4

I'm not sure which looked more disgusting today, the nasty enchiladas or the "perfect" chili. I guess I'll give the win to the enchiladas.

Maybe I missed it- what was up with the blast to the past this episode?

The segment on the cheese enchiladas begins:  "Now I've been heating up the enchilada sauce.  It smells so good.  It's such a beautiful color, too.  And I'm just putting a little bit in the bottom of a big pan."

WHAT enchilada sauce???  God dammit this woman drives me insane.

• Love 4

This post is off topic.  I'm sorry, Lisin, but I'm so depressed that I needed to share.  I learned last night that "Farmhouse Rules" is being cancelled.  It's my favorite show.  Nancy Fuller does everything right that Ree Drummond does wrong.  Her recipes are honestly delicious, and they're not hard to make.  Her recipe for short ribs is easy and would impress the most critical of your guests.  Nancy doesn't act silly anymore.  She's warm and inviting and very down to earth.  She's really the only good cook we have -- I mean, HAD.  The people at Scripps don't know what they're doing to people who long to learn more about cooking and who long for more good tried-and-true recipes.  Nancy is like Anne Burrell -- a born teacher.

• Love 7

Wow! Thanks, Lura, for letting us know. I kept wondering when new episodes would appear.

I am disappointed but not surprised. Nancy's show doesn't fit into whatever FN believes their target demographic is.  It could also just be a case of having the natural shelf life expire on the show.

I'll miss the actual cooking but little else. I was sick to death of seeing the extended family. It also makes me wonder if it wasn't a personal decision of Nancy and David as much as it was by FN.  It was never blatantly obvious, but I always took away that David wasn't actually thrilled with life in front of the camera. I could be completely wrong. It's just an impression I got.

9 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

The segment on the cheese enchiladas begins:  "Now I've been heating up the enchilada sauce.  It smells so good.  It's such a beautiful color, too.  And I'm just putting a little bit in the bottom of a big pan."

WHAT enchilada sauce???  God dammit this woman drives me insane.

Oh, I guess it was just a given. Ree uses Old El Paso enchilada sauce out of the can. Usually, she mixes the red and green sauces together because she can't ever decide which one she prefers.

I now give you permission to roll your eyes.

• Love 9

Thanks, grisgris.  I never got the same impression of David's reluctance that you did, but you could well be right.  As for the kids, I've had the same feelings occasionally, but then I really love watching the youngest ones, especially that little girl, and seeing her usually changes my attitude.  :) 

I wish that Ree would watch Nancy's show or had seen Anne Burrell's show.  She might have gotten a taste of what it means to be a COOKING SHOW host!  Ree la-la-lah's through her canned sauces and soups, making her infernal Mexican dishes, throwing herself at Ladd and his family, and playing The Incredible Mom to her sugar-loving children and thinks she's the most popular wife and mother to hit the television screen.  In reality, she is a buffoon with all the sense of a pea.  She pours admiration all over her dad and mentions her mom only when she's giving the history of a recipe.  I have a wicked idea.  A buncha us should raid her house in the middle of the night and cut her red hair off with barely an inch remaining.  Ladd would be applauding and yelling "Good job, girls!"  We could send a Molotov Cocktail through the front door of the Merc as we gun our vehicle out of town, performing two good deeds in one night!

Meantime, is anyone interested in signing a petition for Nancy Fuller?  I'll bet I get no takers on that request!  I might post one in Nancy's forum in case some of you are willing to help me.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Lura said:

Meantime, is anyone interested in signing a petition for Nancy Fuller?  I'll bet I get no takers on that request!  I might post one in Nancy's forum in case some of you are willing to help me.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

I think I only saw a segment of the show  - and in passing -- but I'll sign it just for you, Lura ; )

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/10/2017 at 10:27 AM, anneofcleves said:

Also, I already know how to cook eggs and fry bacon (roll eyes).  

Maybe I'll just use it as an exercise in tallying up the fat and calorie count in a Ree Drummond meal?  I do this every so often with her more horrifying shows just to amuse myself.

Yes, but do you know how to do it with adding on so much fat and sugar? She put so much honey on one slice of ham, it looked like a tablespoon. I use 3 tbls when I'm making a 1/4 ham! 

Please do tally it up.

eta: those dumplings - "fine French dessert" my ass.

I've also noticed that she's using more phrases like "my goodness gracious." I wonder if they all fainted when Chuck said "damn"?

Chuck's stories aren't funny unless you're related to him.

Edited by txvoodoo
adding things
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, txvoodoo said:

I've also noticed that she's using more phrases like "my goodness gracious." I wonder if they all fainted when Chuck said "damn"?

Chuck's stories aren't funny unless you're related to him.

LOL.  I about died.  Honestly, I can't understand him most of the time, but I did hear "damn."  

Chuck needs subtitles.

• Love 5

Another mashup episode this week labeled as new.  I really am surprised this flies with FN.  They must be getting a good chunk of the proceeds of her retail empire.  I'm pretty close to not watching at all anymore, since she's phoning everything in.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, anneofcleves said:

Another mashup episode this week labeled as new.  I really am surprised this flies with FN.  They must be getting a good chunk of the proceeds of her retail empire.  I'm pretty close to not watching at all anymore, since she's phoning everything in.

I used to get twisted in rage over Ree's non-offerings and her overuse of appealing to the Mexican palate.  Then I turned my rage into laughter, and I talk back to Ree continuously!  Outloud!  LOL  I've found that she's perfect for letting out anything that's bothering me.  And when she smiles?  That's the best part!  When Ree gives one of her dimpled smiles, I noticed that her upper lip tends to rise up and meet her nose!  It's the oddest thing!  She actually gives us a hole in each cheek and a conjoined lip and nose.  It beats me why she ever smiles!  Try it out, AnneofCleves before leaving us!  And don't forget to count how many times per episode Ree promises that so-and-so "is gonna love this!"

• Love 3
(edited)

I know it seems like a ways off but I'm sure the new episodes will be rolling out in full force when summer ends and the holiday season starts. When you think about it, that's really around Labor Day.

I see two things at play here ... first, I think the "Merc" might be consuming a lot more time than the Drummonds realistically anticipated. (Even if they have hired help to run the place.) Also, with the kids getting older, they're not as (dare I say) "cute" or "entertaining" as they were when the show first aired. There's not much left to build a storyline around. Ree can only do so many meals for Ladd and Jock Ewing Chuck and yeah, the Tex-Mex meals for the hired hands is getting as stale as my months'-old bag of Mama Lupe's tortilla chips.

Edited by grisgris
  • Love 4

I'm sure they'll find a way to run Todd and Bryce into the ground. There'll be plenty of episodes about feeding teenage boys (and thus, a justification for high-fat, high-calorie foods with massive portions). But yeah, PW's schtick was always on borrowed time, whether it was people finally getting bored, her being oversaturated, or the kids growing up. 

But we'll be spared the stilted, unnatural dialogue from the children.

• Love 4
(edited)

Maybe Ree could turn the ranch into one of those girly ranches they have near Vegas.  Think of the possibilities!  Like she does for the cowboys, Ree could cook hot lunches and deliver them to the ladies upstairs.  Ladd would be back at the house before dark.  Chuck could move his Eggs Benedict from the kitchen table to a tray in the upstairs hallway, the better to catch the action.   This could put a real spin on the show.  I think the FN would love it.  Look what Bravo did with a few "housewives."

Edited by Lura
typo
  • Love 3

Re Ree's "new show" yesterday:  Who wants to watch clips from old shows?  What are they, crazy?  When they were new shows, they were painful enough!

• Love 2

I watched one of her Fourth of July themed episodes from a few years ago recently. I swear she had at least two busloads of people come to her house for a party. She left Ladd in charge of the meat and he filled up a grill with two cows. There was something on the grill that looked like what pulled Luke Skywalker down into the muck in the Death Star's trash compactor as well. That's good eatin'! The of course Ree made two big tin foil pans of baked beans made from eight cans of baked beans. "The hardest thing about this recipe is openin' up all the cans!" she said. Well, at least she's honest. What would this woman do in a world without peppers? I swear, every single recipe calls for sliced or diced peppers. She also pointed out that a party that size required the use of paper plates because no one wants to clean dishes after such a huge shindig. She lives out in the middle of nowhere. She had to take her trash somewhere. I think it would be more inconvenient to haul away all those dirtied up paper plates. They also set off a boatload of fireworks that are probably still smoldering in a landfill somewhere.

• Love 2

Well going by this it sounds like we'll have plenty of "new" recipes and a lot of plugs for the new cookbook.  And I say new as loosely as possible since the article says:  The new cookbook's called Come And Get It, featuring recipes for people who don't have time to spend hours over the stove.  Which sounds suspiciously like the semi-homemade, canned food approach she's been using on the show more and more lately.  

Also make plenty of room in your freezers ladies - the sheet pan dinners apparently get their own special place in the book:

Every section of the book is devoted to making dinner in a flash, with chapters on sheet pan dinners, meals under 30 minutes, and meals under 20 minutes. Drummond also teased a salmon and kale sheet pan dinner,

So get the popcorn ready (I hear shaking it in a pan works) to sit back this fall and watch variations of - "my favorite recipe from my new cookbook", "Ladd loved this so much I just had to put it in the new cookbook", "the kids will just love this quick lunch from my new cookbook".

Pioneer Woman Cookbook Sneak Peek

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

They also set off a boatload of fireworks that are probably still smoldering in a landfill somewhere.

Her fireworks probably scared the sh*t out of the animals who live on her land.  She doesn't give a rats ass about that because the government pays Ree lots of money to have horses on her land.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

The new cookbook's called Come And Get It, featuring recipes for people who don't have time to spend hours over the stove.

Ree is now officially ripping off Sandra Lee.  If I'm going to "cook" crappy food, I'd go with chef Sandra Lee.  At least Aunt Sandy had some style & knew how to decorate a boozy Christmas Tree.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Well going by this it sounds like we'll have plenty of "new" recipes and a lot of plugs for the new cookbook.  And I say new as loosely as possible since the article says:  The new cookbook's called Come And Get It, featuring recipes for people who don't have time to spend hours over the stove.  Which sounds suspiciously like the semi-homemade, canned food approach she's been using on the show more and more lately.  

Also make plenty of room in your freezers ladies - the sheet pan dinners apparently get their own special place in the book:

Every section of the book is devoted to making dinner in a flash, with chapters on sheet pan dinners, meals under 30 minutes, and meals under 20 minutes. Drummond also teased a salmon and kale sheet pan dinner,

So get the popcorn ready (I hear shaking it in a pan works) to sit back this fall and watch variations of - "my favorite recipe from my new cookbook", "Ladd loved this so much I just had to put it in the new cookbook", "the kids will just love this quick lunch from my new cookbook".

Pioneer Woman Cookbook Sneak Peek

Uh, sounds like a waste of paper. Mark Bittman  weeps. Or laughs.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, ariel said:

Hopefully MB will have the last laugh.

Laughter and amazement that there could be so many variations and usages for chili made with hamburger!  Let's see, we've got it with black beans, without black beans, with glorious tri-color beans, with two kind of beans, with jalapeños but no nasty vegetables (for cowboys), primavera style (for sissy girls), with a raw steak and a pack of Marlborough reds (for chuck), made in a waffle iron (for college kids everywhere), with falafel balls (for New Yorkers), with a rubber snake (for Ladd), served in a signed Walmart ceramic bowl (for poor Missy)... I could go on and on and on.

• Love 7
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:12 AM, anneofcleves said:

Laughter and amazement that there could be so many variations and usages for chili made with hamburger! 

Good grief!  Has she actually made all those varieties?  Those poor kids must have chili coming out of their ears!  Pretty much all she needs to do is open cans and stir.  When I think of pioneers, I think about people who were adventuresome and who blazed new trails for others to follow.  I think that Ree is more of a "prairie woman" than a pioneer.

• Love 2
On 6/12/2017 at 10:40 AM, tabloidlover said:

It was a shitshow.  Do we really need to watch her fry bacon, sausage or ham?  It's pretty self explanatory, not to mention that we've seen each of these numerous times already.

This is absolutely why I cannot stand this show.  I find it difficult to watch at times.  I saw an episode once where Ree mixed a can of diced Rotel tomatoes and Velveeta cheese.  Voila!  We have con queso dip (or some such nonsense).  I was like "Okay, I'm out".  Why are TPTB allowing her to do stupid things like that?  Dumping and pouring two things together and calling it a recipe?  I don't get it.  And don't get me going on that stupid ever-present perma smile of hers.  Hmmm. I'm sure that topic has its own thread somewhere.

• Love 4
(edited)
39 minutes ago, beesknees said:

This is absolutely why I cannot stand this show.  I find it difficult to watch at times.  I saw an episode once where Ree mixed a can of diced Rotel tomatoes and Velveeta cheese.  Voila!  We have con queso dip (or some such nonsense).  I was like "Okay, I'm out".  Why are TPTB allowing her to do stupid things like that?  Dumping and pouring two things together and calling it a recipe?  I don't get it.  And don't get me going on that stupid ever-present perma smile of hers.  Hmmm. I'm sure that topic has its own thread somewhere.

Yeah, she got that "recipe" off a Rotel commercial. It looks like puke.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, beesknees said:

This is absolutely why I cannot stand this show.  I find it difficult to watch at times.  I saw an episode once where Ree mixed a can of diced Rotel tomatoes and Velveeta cheese.  Voila!  We have con queso dip (or some such nonsense).  I was like "Okay, I'm out".  Why are TPTB allowing her to do stupid things like that?  

Sadly there are many people who like this crap & she's bringing in the rating with them.  Don't under estimate the power of rednecks.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 6

That is sad but true. Nearly every day, one of my FB friends will post one of those insta-videos of a recipe and 99%* of the time it's doctoring up some boxed or canned product. It's usually mucking up chicken breasts with canned soup and cheese. (Not that I personally find anything wrong with either.) Other times, it's re-purposed cake mix. It's kind of like a hybrid of Ree and Aunt Sandy.

*I also follow a few pages of healthy cooking.

• Love 2
On 7/2/2017 at 8:53 PM, tabloidlover said:

How long has it been since we saw anything from her that was not a retread?   I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw her do anything even slightly original. 

Season 1? And even then, her "recipes" weren't hers.

• Love 4

LOL - over 20 years a woman bought the queso to work and we all loved it. I called it her bean dip and she kept saying "there are no beans in it!" So a guy and I named it Her No Bean Bean Dip. It was good - but, that was a very long time ago and I  never had Velveeta before or since and I am 70. OTOH - my dish was 7 layer salad. 

• Love 3
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:36 PM, maggiemae said:

my dish was 7 layer salad. 

A-HA!  So that's where Ree got the big idea to layer her salads!  She must have thought she was so clever!  In the meantime, I was scratching my head, because she was unclear on the concept.  People don't want a so-called "mixed" or "tossed" salad in layers!  They want to get a little of everything.  How do you manage a TRIFLE bowl filled with a layer of radishes, a layer of lettuce, etc.?  Granted, it looked attractive, but it wasn't practical.

So, today we have another gaffe in the form of Paige taking the neighbor girls on a picnic.  (Food provided by Ree, natch.)  Ree makes little cucumber sandwiches.  CUCUMBER for little girls???  I'll bet that thrilled them!  But that's not all.  She lays out two normal-sized pieces of bread, and she instructs us to make paper-thin slices of cucumber, which she lays single thickness onto the bread.  The ratio of bread to cucumber is about 99:1.  I shook my head in disbelief.  Where is her sense???  I think she'd better stick to her mother's recipes.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Lura said:

So, today we have another gaffe in the form of Paige taking the neighbor girls on a picnic.  (Food provided by Ree, natch.)  Ree makes little cucumber sandwiches.  CUCUMBER for little girls???  I'll bet that thrilled them!  But that's not all.  She lays out two normal-sized pieces of bread, and she instructs us to make paper-thin slices of cucumber, which she lays single thickness onto the bread.  The ratio of bread to cucumber is about 99:1.  I shook my head in disbelief.  Where is her sense???  I think she'd better stick to her mother's recipes.

I saw that ep ages ago and I thought, what kid wants a puny cucumber sandwich on a picnic? Might as well make an air sandwich for what that's worth to a kid. Nevermind that when the boys were making up their' "Man Cave" they got meat and crazy brownies. Girls need meat too yanno!

Edited by Lady Iris
  • Love 2