Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:51 PM, grisgris said:

I thought she gave away her used stuff, like KA mixers and her worn/sweated in "flowy-tops" and crap like that.

Sure. You'll get tons of blog followers if you bribe them!

I think she did both. 

Do you really think Alex eats all that or even wants some of it?  I think Ree does it for herself when she gets to missing Alex a little too much.  The framed pictures of PawPaw, for instance.  Where's she going to put those?  Between all of the paintings her siblings have done for her, how is there any room on her walls?  Besides, she's an upperclassman now, not a frightened little freshman.  She's busy with sorority, dances, campus clubs, pizza joints, studying, any number of things.  Ree seems to think that Alex is pining away in her room, missing the ranch day and night.  Like so many other things, Ree just doesn't get it.

My husband walked through the TV room just as Ree was about to shove those rolls of quarters into jars of M&Ms, and he was so shocked that he bellowed, "NO!!!"  He just kept walking, while I was in stitches.  Oh, Ree.  She never, never knows when to stop.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Qoass said:

I guess I'm a nerd because I would have loved a box like that when I was in school. When my mom sent chocolate chip cookies, word would spread throughout the dorm!

I would have as well!  It seemed a bit of overkill with the balloons but snacks being sent???  BRING IT ON!  Knowing how my staff (all university students) react to any free food I think they would dig it.  I know at the holidays I make them a huge amount of cookies and they are hoovered quickly.  I do agree, and yelled at the tv NO, when she jammed the roll of quarters into the opened M&Ms.  Super icky.  

ETA:  I just did a super scientific poll :).  I asked the student staff working and just so happened to have a customer there and they all thought a giant care package would be awesome!

Edited by Natalie68
  • Love 1

I'm not against care packages, loved receiving them when away at college. But Ree's are way too cutesy, imo. Paige is not at camp after all. 

Not sure how one would actually wash out a Pringles container with the salt and oil for the cookies........and the money in the candy box......really? And the stupid balloons. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, maggiemae said:

I'm not against care packages, loved receiving them when away at college. But Ree's are way too cutesy, imo. Paige is not at camp after all. 

Not sure how one would actually wash out a Pringles container with the salt and oil for the cookies........and the money in the candy box......really? And the stupid balloons. 

Good point. She's an adult. 

I was in collage in the late 1970's and snacks/care packages from home were very much appreciated.  We were all smoking weed & we  loved them.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 8

Hi, brand new here but I've read all the snark on Ree in this thread.

I was watching a re-run today (Sharing Chocolate) and just had to comment on the monstrosity of a shake she makes with Todd there at the end. I love chocolate as much as the next girl but that was just so over the top. There is no way I would give that sugar rush in a glass to my kid.

• Love 4

Hi Mamadani, I'm having a mid-afternoon nip of tea myself, but welcome to the board with whatever you prefer!  Ree has a way of trying to be the mother of all mothers, especially when it comes to sweets.  If her kids are toothless by the time they're 23, it's not her worry.  Diabetic and toothless.  See you at the soda fountain!

Edited by Lura
  • Love 2

Thank you for the welcome! I'm having coffee with peppermint mocha creamer this morning because I'm ready for the holiday season! 

Ree seems like the kind of mom who tries to be her kids' best friend but doesn't realize they are all grown up. Case in point: that care package she sent Alex, that was stuff my mom would have thought about sending me when I was in pre school not a junior in college! Also sticking those quarters into the unwrapped candy? I thought I was going to get sick right then and there.

• Love 1

I finally caught up with this "crazy shake" episode today.  I can't believe that Ree hasn't received letters from mothers everywhere about all the sugar she pours into those kids, but I think she continues to be outrageous "because I can."  I can just imagine her answering sugar criticism by pulling a stunt like that with Todd.

• Love 2

Hey, Ree has a SOLID flowy top!

I was unaware of the "internet sensation" that is watermelon pizza. Is that really a thing? Ew. Other than that I wasn't really offended or wowed by anything today. I may try the cauliflower crust recipe. I had a frozen one from Trader Joe's a couple of weeks ago that we topped with a Thai Chicken topping (peanut sauce, peppers, green onions, chicken, basil, ect) and we liked it, so I've been wanted to give a homemade one a go.

I'm going to say that I genuinely liked Ree's attire today. All of the tops were either a solid color or prints in the same color family. She even worked in subtle touches of what's trending right now -- lace-up and grommets.

I'll stop there.

For starters, Ree did not invent Caesar salad-topped pizza and I don't care if hers has a "twist" of herb grilled chicken. Didn't that start back in the 80s or 90s by some restaurant in Beverly Hills? I know the Cheesecake Factory is known for their version.

The ubiquitous meal kit had to make an appearance. She just won't let that one go, will she?

I think Ree was yanking our chain when she made those flatbreads for lunch with Missy. She even said the flavors were "going to compete." Pesto + marsala mushroom sauce + goat cheese? That really sounded terrible. It's even off the spectrum of wild concoctions that Aunt Sandy would come up with. Maybe she hates Missy or something.

I have never heard of watermelon pizza but then if I watch cooking videos on YouTube, they are presented by adults. I thought it looked like a mess and waste of good fruit. Something seems very wrong with slathering watermelon with a mixture of yogurt and powdered sugar. I also cringed at adding chocolate ganache to the hot mess. Hailey is really turning out to be a beauty. Bryce, on the other hand, looked like he would actually rather be out on the back 40 digging fence posts than making idiotic desserts with the "kids."

• Love 4

Speaking of "Brycie," as Ree loves calling him, he's not only taller but also changing fast in the face.  His nose is just like Ree's now.  In fact, the first three kids have Ree's wider nose, while Todd may turn out to look like his dad (if he's lucky).

I thought I'd seen Ree do everything, but she fooled me the other day when she added chili pepper to her chocolate cake!  I was waiting for someone to ask whether the cake tasted "hot" to them, but the Drummonds were too busy eating to mention it.  Since when do people add hot spices to cakes, or am I behind the times?  Next thing, she'll be adding hot peppers to her lemonade and her endless slushies.

Every time someone mentions Aunt Sandy, my mind immediately goes to her Kwanzaa Cake.  I'd like to see Ree do one with even half as much imagination.

Edited by Lura

@Lura adding hot spices to cakes and other sweet things seems to be a big thing these days. I don't understand it all because I don't like heat added into my desserts. I'm sure everyone in the Drummond house is used to spice overkill though the way Ree adds it to anything and everything.

I missed the current episode, I'm sure I'll catch the rerun today.

• Love 2

Cinnamon is a common spice in chocolate cake recipes but the one time I made one with chili powder, I really hated the result.

I'm not big on tunics anyway but I really thought Ree was going to set herself on fire with the wide billowy sleeves of that blue blouse inches away from the stove.

• Love 3

@Qoass I love cinnamon in chocolate cake but chili powder? ew, that does not sound appetizing. I may have to try that with my husband's family though, they adore anything with heat! I am also always terrified Ree is going to catch fire with her billowing sleeves, makes me nervous!

On another note as much as I snark on her, there are a few recipes of Ree's I have thought about trying but I'm not sure if they would be good if I toned the spice down in them. 

• Love 1
On 10/14/2017 at 8:03 AM, Mnemosyne said:

Boring ep. I was only left wondering how much shipping was going to cost for that huge ass package.

As an aside, I have a daughter in college across the country and I ship care packages all the time.  You can ship via USPS  Priority Mail in any of their flat rate boxes (small, medium, large & it's also insured), and it does not matter how much the package weighs.  I have no idea what she did, as she can likely afford anything.   I love it because it's cheap vs. shipping UPS or FedEX ground - even 5-day.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, SoCal Mema said:

As an aside, I have a daughter in college across the country and I ship care packages all the time.  You can ship via USPS  Priority Mail in any of their flat rate boxes (small, medium, large & it's also insured), and it does not matter how much the package weighs.  I have no idea what she did, as she can likely afford anything.   I love it because it's cheap vs. shipping UPS or FedEX ground - even 5-day.

Yep. The USPS is now delivering mail here on Sunday's. I guess they finally decided to enter the 21st century.

• Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:27 AM, Qoass said:

I'm not big on tunics anyway but I really thought Ree was going to set herself on fire with the wide billowy sleeves of that blue blouse inches away from the stove.

I was at the Cracker Barrel for breakfast recently, don't judge, I love their breakfast! Anyhoo, there was a Ree Drummond book on sale. My mom sees it and says, "That woman, cooking with those huge sleeves over her stove. Gonna burn herself and her house down!"

• Love 3

The pizza lunch that Ree prepared for Missy looked and sounded just this side of hideous, but something else about the episode rubbed me the wrong way.  When Ree added the cooked mushrooms to the pizza, she made some statement about being nice and giving Missy the extras.  Then, when she was plating the pizzas, she made a big deal out of the fact that she was giving Missy the larger of the two.  (I may not have this exactly right, but you get the jist.)  Ree made it clear that she'd rather keep the mushrooms for herself, but she was being so generous to her sister-in-law. 

I wonder how many viewers were rolling their eyes.  If Ree really wanted to be so kind to Missy, she'd have given her the smaller of the two!  That had to have been a nasty pizza to swallow..

• Love 2

I can never figure out why she uses string cheese in a recipe like that.  First, it’s more expensive than using sticks of sliced mozzarella, and secondly the stuff doesn’t melt nearly as well as block mozzarella.  

And that “arrabbiata” sauce, yuck.  I call BS on the edibility of that with one tablespoon of Italian seasoning.  It’s supposed to be spicy, yes, but not overwhelmed by oregano.  What an idiot.

Muffin tops, bottomless muffins, whatever.  She made cookies, essentially.  The crumble looked good, but somewhere Ina Garden, the Queen of the Crumble,  is mocking her for using an improper balance of fruit.

She looked really, really strange today, like Stephen King movie strange with that weirdly ethereal, pale skin, clown-colored hair, and puffy shirt. I kept waiting for a red balloon to float up behind her.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, anneofcleves said:

... She looked really, really strange today, like Stephen King movie strange with that weirdly ethereal, pale skin, clown-colored hair, and puffy shirt. I kept waiting for a red balloon to float up behind her.

At the farmers' market today, I saw a jack-o-lantern decorated to look like a scary clown:  white paint covering the face, frizzy red yarn hair sticking straight up & out , huge evil grin with missing teeth, big red ball nose, squinty eyes under pointedly arched brows.  Good job & clever (though creepy) result.  I complimented the artist & did not say who it reminded me of.

• Love 4

Fairfax, the artist was probably offended that you didn't recognize Ree!  :)

Speaking of the Farmer's Market, my husband approached a tomato farmer last week, and knowing my love for fried green tomatoes, asked the farmer whether he had any.  The farmer did not, but he said he'd bring one next week for my husband.  So, off went my husband this morning, and the farmer had brought him several green ones.  The farmer said, "I'm sure glad you wanted these.  I didn't know that anybody liked green tomatoes, but now I think I'll sell 'em!"

Don't lots of people like fried green tomatoes?  I think it's a southern thing, but they're big in the Midwest too.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 2

I thought the same thing about the muffin tops. Those were big soft cookies.

I guess I am abnormal but my least favorite part of pizza is the crust.  What Ree made technically wasn't stuffed pizza crust because it wasn't part of a pizza. It was just stuffed bread.

Why bother adding fruit to the crumble? Just make and bake a big batch of the crumble topping and top it with whipped cream.

I thew up in my mouth a little bit over the fried chicken skin. Where would you even obtain that? I'm guessing that you get it at the supermarket meat department that is leftover from prepping boneless skinless chicken breasts and thighs?

Me thinks somebody has a carb addiction.

What would that family do if one of them became diabetic?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, grisgris said:

What would that family do if one of them became diabetic?

Ooh, easy!  She’d dedicate pages and pages on her blog to diabetes awareness.  She’d become the patron saint of diabetes awareness and get some lucrative deals pimping artificially sweetened junk food and/or A1C-lowering drugs!

I can’t believe I forgot to comment on the chicken skin thing. That was honestly a first for me - never seen it.  I love chicken skin, on a piece of chicken, but there is no way I’m ever going to make that.  I eat a fairly low carb diet, and I think that when you get to the point that you’re snacking on animal skin you’ve gone a bit to the dark side of nutrition.   Heck, gnawing on a stick of butter seems easier.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 4

I guess I am abnormal but my least favorite part of pizza is the crust.  What Ree made technically wasn't stuffed pizza crust because it wasn't part of a pizza. It was just stuffed bread.

Same here. If only it were possible to make pizza with no crust.

• Love 1

Sure - here it is - it came from Pinterest I think.  The original, and then my changes are in parentheses:

Pizza Topping Casserole

1 lb. sausage

1/4 cup pizza sauce (I used about a cup)

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (I used three cloves of minced fresh garlic)

1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning and/or basil

1/2 cup onion, chopped

1/2 cup green pepper, chopped

8 oz. can mushrooms, drained (I used fresh)

3 1/2 oz. pepperoni, chopped

16 oz. mozzarella cheese, cubed (I used shredded )

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Brown the sausage, onion, green pepper and garlic until almost done.  Then add the pepperoni and then the mushrooms, drain.  Add the sauce and Italian seasoning. Stir all together.  Place in a 9X12 pan, top with the cheese. Bake until bubbly, about 25 minutes.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, captain1 said:

Sure - here it is - it came from Pinterest I think.  The original, and then my changes are in parentheses:

Pizza Topping Casserole

1 lb. sausage

1/4 cup pizza sauce (I used about a cup)

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (I used three cloves of minced fresh garlic)

1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning and/or basil

1/2 cup onion, chopped

1/2 cup green pepper, chopped

8 oz. can mushrooms, drained (I used fresh)

3 1/2 oz. pepperoni, chopped

16 oz. mozzarella cheese, cubed (I used shredded )

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Brown the sausage, onion, green pepper and garlic until almost done.  Then add the pepperoni and then the mushrooms, drain.  Add the sauce and Italian seasoning. Stir all together.  Place in a 9X12 pan, top with the cheese. Bake until bubbly, about 25 minutes.

Thank you! I happen to have all of those ingredients.

captain1, I have the same problem but can't give up pasta altogether so wholewheat pasta is my compromise.  I like it fine, especially the lasagna noodles & the corkscrews in macaroni & cheese.  

• Love 1

I don't know why Ree uses bread for her crusts.  Maybe the stores in her area don't sell pizza crust, but it's so simple to make.

I always loved meat of some kind on my pizza until I had a vegetarian pizza.  It was so loaded with fantastic veggies that I became an instant convert.  And it has to have black olives on it.  I could eat them by the bowl full!

• Love 2

Today's CDN episode was the Chocolate Abomination.  The Crazy Shake was beyond wretched - first she told Todd to go crazy with the toppings, then micromanaged every blob of ganache the poor kid tried to apply.  Would it have killed her to give him specific instructions before they shot the segment?   I bet Ladd doesn't vague out when he instructs the kids on cattle-y stuff!

• Love 2

Gee, Ree removed her lips from Chuck's ass just long enough to go to church. For the life of me, I don't understand why she sucks up to him so much. I noticed that Nan gave Ree a rather chilly reception when she showed up bearing the peach pie, deviled eggs and fart bomb pork lovers baked beans.

I sat (im)patiently through the entire episode just to see Chuck's special chicken recipe only -- to my chagrin -- realize it's the same damned concoction Ladd uses to ruin grill steaks!  Seriously! Lemon pepper, seasoned salt and drown the meat in butter. Oh, I guess Chuck's "original twist" was to add some Worchestershire sauce. Big whoop.

Those baked beans ... here we go again.  Keep adding and adding and adding ingredients until you have an indistinguishable mess of flavor. First of all, canned baked beans already have some type of flavoring in them -- even the most basic no-frills label. Ree added ketchup, mustard? then barbecue sauce and added chorizo on top of that. And I believe the chorizo was sauteed with onions and jalapenos. Then there was the bacon topping. I can't imagine what that would taste like and I don't want to. Adding chorizo to a baked bean dish made with cannellini beans might be interesting but not here.

Who adds heavy cream to deviled egg filling?  I guess we all know the answer to that. And why.

I believe that Trayvon is a legitimate friend of the Drummond boys. I think he has one or more brothers because they all play on the same football team. They've also been guests at the Drummond Ranch for sleepovers in the past. I don't think it was a racial shout-out but I could be wrong.

Sorry. I am extra sullen and cranky today. I woke up at 4 a.m. and really didn't get fully back to sleep.  Guess I will get to make up for it tonight!

• Love 4

Agree, grisgris.   It was the "Ree Gone Wild Again" show when she got to those baked beans.  I'm sure that everybody else was just like me, wondering what she'd add to muck them up.  There was such a conglomeration of additions.  Finally, I began to fear for anyone who wore dentures.  I'm certain those beans would attach themselves in molded globs and burn ulcers on the gums.

Yes, Ree certainly did pander to Chuck in this show.  Maybe Ree is gearing up for another generational scandal -- her running off with her father-in-law.  Why wait for the son to co-inherit the goodies when she can marry the source of it?  Keep cookin' them Eggs Benedict, cherry-lime soda, Chuck's granny's strawberry cakes, peach pies, and other high pointers.  Stay tuned.  As Chuck is fond of saying, "It doesn't get any better than this."

• Love 3

It’s almost hard to articulate the many things that were weird and offputting about her show yesterday.  First, it’s pretty shameful, to me, how she makes such a big production out of going to church.  Come on, Ree.  Having your family filmed while standing in the pew while service are going on?  That’s so disruptive and disrespectful to the worship service and is shameless self promotion of the highest order.  And it’s not the first time she’s done this.  I’m sure the congregation loves the charitable contributions, but can you imagine the eye rolling that goes on as the other congregants have to play along with this stuff and be filmed during worship?  If it’s real, I wonder how many choose to stay home?  

Second, because the Drummonds seem to love to put on a show about being church going people, I’m suspicious that Trevon and the other boy’s “spending the night” was another thing contrived for effect.  I hope the boys really are good friends and weren’t just pawns in a Drummond promotional video.

The food was...typical. gris gris described the beans really well.  About the only thing you could add to them (for me) would be to mix in a bottle of Mylanta to aid the digestion of that greasy, sweet concoction.  Final thought,  it was nice to finally have confirmation that the fondness for lemon pepper is an inherited condition.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 7

HUGE applause to anneofcleves! I feel the same way about the church episodes. It's such a violation of any person's personal time of worship. I know the Drummonds have to promote their "God-fearin'" image and all, but ... What really irritates me is Ree's cavalier approach to the whole thing about going to church overall. She constantly brags -- in full smirk mode -- of how she's always on the edge of being late, etc., almost like it's an afterthought or a dreaded weekly chore.

What was with ragging on Ladd for his attire when Ree showed up in her usual uniform, complete with outdated jeans? I HATE sports jackets and ties with jeans on men. To me, it's one or the other. Either go full suit (or sports jacket with nice pants) or jeans with a casual shirt.

At least Ladd didn't drop Treyvon off at the local Southern Baptist church with, "I'll come pick y'all up after the service and we'll go eat." I'd think that at that point, tired boys would want nothing more than to do back to their own home after church for mom's food and a long nap in their own bed!

If Alex shows up for Thanksgiving in a few weeks, home from college with a new "Asian friend" in tow to experience a down-home American Thanksgiving, I will throw something at my TV!  It would be a great opportunity for Ree to haul-out the requisite "Asian flavor profile" ingredients to doctors up the dinner. I can just see her adding a huge glob of wasabi to the heavy cheesy mashed potatoes and soy sauce to the turkey brine. Chinese five-spice Brussels sprouts, anybody?

The Hispanic demographic is covered with the farmhands, so I see going Eastern the next logical step. (I guess she sort of has that covered with the WM products manufacturing.)

I can't stand that woman ...

Edited by grisgris
  • Love 6

I think she really goofed with this episode, but I also think she could take a pee in the punch bowl, in front of her guests, and people would claim it’s a fantastic idea.  They certainly wouldn’t imagine the Drummonds are being anything other than good Christians with that self-serving, myopic video documenting their Sunday worship traditions.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 4

"Take a pee in a punch bowl" is a new one on me, and the image is fascinating.  :)

At the end of this show, I was disgusted and angry.  I felt as if I'd watched a 30-minute commercial praising Christianity in daily living.  Nothing wrong with that if it's what you dialed in to watch, but if it isn't, then Ree has blindsided you.  I agree that the congregants (some) may feel put upon, but there is also the faction that will write every cousin bragging about being on TV.  In that the church is never full, I've also wondered whether it's filmed on a weekday, and attendance is optional.  (Either go to be on television or stay home). 

There were a couple of shouts in our house when the black boys were shown.  When the one boy in  the car fairly shouted "Yes, sir!" to Ladd, it felt as if he'd been reminded.  While Ladd's own boys use "sir," it may have been natural, but it sure seemed suspect to me.

This episode was pure as pudding natural that Ree now has more influence than she's ever had on what goes on the air.  It was goody-goody Ree all the way through, and while she was undoubtedly sure that we'd all say "What a sweet episode," I think that it backfired badly.  She should have been ashamed for pushing her views onto everyone watching.  Religion is such a personal thing that even the devout can be turned off by being slapped in the face with it.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 3

I kept thinking of the verse from Matthew through the entire segment:  “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.”  I’m kind of surprised she didn’t swing by the local shelter and drop off a load of cookies on the way back to the ranch.

p.s. I never thought I’d ever use a passage from the Bible here, outside of a Duggar thread.  Thanks, Ree!

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 8