Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, anneofcleves said:

My joke a few months back about a Dollywood-type amusement park, Pioneer Woman World, is seeming like more and more of a reality.  

God help us all.  But there would be sychophants flocking in to ride the spinning Walmart teacup or take a ride on the gravy lagoon I would imagine.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

God help us all.  But there would be sychophants flocking in to ride the spinning Walmart teacup or take a ride on the gravy lagoon I would imagine.

Being the proud "Merican"  that Ree is, every thing at Pioneer Woman World would be made in China.  

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

And operated by immigrants paid starvation wages, under the table, of course.

And being a #45 supporter, she'd get special visas;  gotta keep those followers happy.  They can live out in the back 40 in the itinerant field hand cabins.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

And being a #45 supporter, she'd get special visas;  gotta keep those followers happy.  They can live out in the back 40 in the itinerant field hand cabins.

Or be free range like the mustangs- get the gubment to subsidize the whole operation.

• Love 5

They're airing Ree's Throwdown With Bobby Flay Thanksgiving episode, aka the PW backdoor pilot. Back when she was still peddling the idea that she was cooking, raising cattle, homeschooling, and all that all by her lonesome. And when she claimed that she met the "Marlboro Man" across the room of a smoky bar. She also claims that she was making cuisines of "other ethnicities" and had to teach herself how to cook all over again to make so-called cowboy fare. Yeah, okay.

It's amazing that after six years, she has never improved her on-camera personality. She is still as awkward and stilted as she is now. I guess when Trump-loving housewives eat it up, why go through the effort to improve?

• Love 7

I can picture the sign at the entrance to the dirt road:  Drummond Ranch and Ree's Chicken Farm.  She could raise chickens to serve at the Merc and collect even more money.  Then, imagine the chicken dinnerware, chicken pitchers, chicken sheets and even chicken shower curtains.  There's no end to it when Ree gets going on a project. 

Isn't there a Chicken Ranch near Las Vegas, known for legal prostitution?  I don't know the laws in Oklahoma, but that sign I was picturing could be misleading to non-locals.

I suspect the truth is that Ree consulted Ladd about raising chickens, and he nixed the idea by saying that you don't raise nuthin' that you can't ride.  Horses and cows are OK, but what do chickens do?  Cross the road, and that's about it.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Why don't they milk those cows? Ma Ingalls would have been appalled.

I've wondered the same thing, Peaches.   In fact, I thought cows HAD to be milked.  I don't know a lot about ranches or cows, obviously.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Why don't they milk those cows? Ma Ingalls would have been appalled.

They aren't dairy cows. 

Oh crap, I just made Ree seem sane.  A broken clock is correct twice a day.

10 hours ago, Lura said:

Isn't there a Chicken Ranch near Las Vegas, known for legal prostitution? 

Yes, but the most famous Chicken Ranch was much closer to home-- in Texas-- and was the subject of the musical "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas." 

• Love 1
On 11/16/2017 at 5:12 AM, anneofcleves said:

I’d rather have eggs in gravy than giblets.  Well, technically I’d rather have neither, but if it’s a choice, eggs would win.  I think it’s like a lot of these old recipes.  People raised chickens and had lots of eggs to use up.  Hard boiled eggs in cream gravy or leftover gravy, served over toast or potatoes, fed a family on the cheap.  So some families grew to love eggs in the gravy.  That’s my assumption, at least.

Sliced hard boiled eggs are also often paired with Welsh Rarebit, which we’ve discussed and which our dear Queen of Food Network has developed her own recipe for that will now show on the top of any Google search.

My gripe with Ree is to boil her own darned eggs and not use store bought ones that are preserved with God knows what chemicals.  Since she loves her friends and family soooo much and lives to feed them good stuff.  Yeah, right...

Both my grandmothers - Irish & Italian - used to add hard boiled eggs to different things - the Irish, to soups, the Italian, to braciole (beef rollups) and stews. Both told me that it was peasant food/poor people food, because eggs were cheaper or, as you said, they had their own chickens. So they could add more protein to food without spending on meats.

• Love 2
On 11/16/2017 at 3:12 AM, anneofcleves said:

My gripe with Ree is to boil her own darned eggs and not use store bought ones that are preserved with God knows what chemicals.  Since she loves her friends and family soooo much and lives to feed them good stuff.  Yeah, right...

I admittedly only watch this intermittently to snark, but she does not even boil her own eggs? I was put off of hard-boiled eggs for years after working at salad bars where you had to retrieve the eggs from 5-gallon sulfurous buckets of hell. Boiling eggs is dead simple! How lazy and wasteful do you have to be to pay someone else to boil them?

• Love 3

Those French Toast sticks... I can see kids going crazy for those; bread coated with Capt. Crunch crumbs and buttery panko dipped into syrup.  However, I would totally side-eye the adult who would put those garbage food/calorie bombs in their breakfast rotation.   I think even cowboys realize that those have no nutrition and are just a sugar abomination.  Oh wait, those 5-6 berries Ree dropped on the plate makes it healthy.  Uh huh.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 2

Yuck. I watched in horror when Ree made those French toast sticks. Sugar, sugar and then served with more sugar and gross HFCS (pancake syrup.) I thought Ree was trolling us when she added sugar to the Cap'n Crunch or whatever the sugary cereal was. The variations weren't even better. Honestly, I wonder if Ree really is the one with the sweet tooth in the family. All of her kids are too old now to have to be coaxed to eat breakfast by serving sickening sweet fare.  The same goes for those sprinkle-laden cups of ice cream and golden Oreos. I can't imagine either dish appealing to anybody over the age of about 5-6.

I guess the (women's) soup didn't look that bad. Again, another example of more is more. The crema was fine, but then there was cheese, cilantro and pomegranate seeds??? Seriously? I could see that possibly working if the soup had a different flavor profile -- maybe something earthy -- definitely not Tex-Mex.  It would need to be something where the pomegranate seeds added a bright after-burst to the soup and didn't compete with cilantro, cumin, etc.

I have no words for that nasty-looking casserole. What bugs me is that in the time it took for Ree to mix up that hot mess, she could have made a more modern casserole that was nutritious. I also am past the excuse that the menfolk won't eat it, etc., etc.  It's pretty easy to hide or disguise almost any ingredient in a casserole. I think she's just being lazy.

Edited by grisgris
  • Love 4
On 11/24/2017 at 11:34 PM, jcbrown said:

I admittedly only watch this intermittently to snark, but she does not even boil her own eggs? I was put off of hard-boiled eggs for years after working at salad bars where you had to retrieve the eggs from 5-gallon sulfurous buckets of hell. Boiling eggs is dead simple! How lazy and wasteful do you have to be to pay someone else to boil them?

Sulfurous Buckets Of Hell....that is awsome!

• Love 2
On 11/20/2017 at 6:20 PM, Lura said:

Isn't there a Chicken Ranch near Las Vegas, known for legal prostitution?  I don't know the laws in Oklahoma, but that sign I was picturing could be misleading to non-locals.

It's called the Bunny Ranch ( "chicken" is sometimes code for pedophiles -- like "chicken hawk"  - which would raise not just eyebrows, but hopefully torches).

• Love 1

There's a Chicken Ranch in my state, but it's a stripper joint.  They can't serve alcohol so the patrons have to bring their own.  If you drive by, you'll see guys bringing in their coolers of beer.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ariel said:

There's a Chicken Ranch in my state, but it's a stripper joint.  They can't serve alcohol so the patrons have to bring their own.  If you drive by, you'll see guys bringing in their coolers of beer.

That seems counter productive. Insurance liability must cost more than what they'd make on liquor sales. Here in Seattle they aren't allowed to sell it and while I'm sure people sneak stuff in it's sure not coolers full of beer.

• Love 1

This week’s episode was another phone it in show.  I’ve never had King Ranch casserole, but I’m well aware of it and think of it as one of those beloved cream-of-something canned soup casseroles that everyone loves.  So now, because of her dominance with google searches, her version will be the first thing you see from now on. This is only one of the reasons I hate her.  Sorry All Recipes Member  who has had the most stars for this recipe since the beginning of the internet, it belongs to Pioneer Woman now.

She’s done the French toast sticks before, and I always wonder what the hell is wrong with her as a mother that she’d cop to calling that nutritional disaster of a recipe a staple in the Drummond house.  She makes those candy sticks in bulk and freezes them for actual breakfasts for growing kids?  Unbelievable.  That’s the kind of recipe you make when your kids are having a special birthday sleepover and everyone expects their kids to be fed nothing but sugar and pizza for a solid 12 hours.  If it’s true that her kids lived on these things, it’s probably good that they were home schooled because most teachers I know would have hated her for sending her kids to school jacked up on all that sugar.

I’m totally with gris gris wondering what the heck was going on with that soup, too, especially with the pomegranate seeds.   I haven’t had it them as a garnish on a soup like that, but they seem like they’d be tart in a not so great way.  Plus a strange texture to add.   

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That seems counter productive. Insurance liability must cost more than what they'd make on liquor sales. Here in Seattle they aren't allowed to sell it and while I'm sure people sneak stuff in it's sure not coolers full of beer.

Liquor licenses in my state are hard to get & can cost up to a million dollars. It's crazy.  Some towns are only allowed to have so liquor licenses. Many restaurants & strip joints are BYO.  Most of our Trader Joes can't sell alcohol.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 2

After Prohibition ended, state, county, and local liquor laws are just crazy. I remember living outside Atlanta in the early 90s and my fiancé couldn't buy a single beer on a Sunday afternoon. Could buy a six pack, but not one.

• Love 2

Ariel, let's trade houses.  I lived in Andover, MA, for a long time when I was growing up, and New England is still my favorite place to hang out in the whole world!  (I say this every time I see the words New England.  LOL)

I hate to say that Ree is something like Ina.  They both have other things on their minds/agendas, and their shows are often afterthoughts thrown together to get them overwith.  There's nothing like success to motivate them into trying new endeavors.  Wherever there's money involved, off they go.

12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Ina had to be persuaded to do a show - she turned down offers to have one

I love Ina Garten.  I post on her board occasionally and watch her shows faithfully.  I have all of her cookbooks.  I read the East Hampton Star.  I think you'd call me a "fan."  You, however, are spitting back the official, PR-driven bio of Ina, which appears everywhere.  The real story is different, but I will not comment further.  I'll leave it to someone else to contend with a lawsuit!  As you said, two different stories.

As for moving on to other ventures, I imagine that most of us would do the same thing.  My regret is that in doing so, it often means putting the first venture onto the back burner, so to speak, and devoting more attention and energy into the new one.  When that happens, we sometimes get shows from Ree like the King Ranch casserole debacle, smiling all the way through the endless freezer shots and endless declarations of joy over the freezer's new contents.

Edited by Lura
typo

One difference between Ina and Ree is that Ina has never glossed over or skated around the fact that she and Jeffrey are shrewd business people. From turning a profit with Barefoot Contessa to flipping houses in Washington, D.C., (not to mention Jeffrey's consulting, speaking engagements and writing books) they have made money hand over fist and I applaud them.  To me, hard work, talent/skill and determination are more impressive and inspiring than somebody who married into wealth, gets hefty payments from the government (doesn't own up to either) and still insists they are a "rags to riches" overnight success homeschooling food blogger.

Also, unless somebody is just and out-and-out famewhore, why would anybody want the rigors of producing a weekly show on FN if is isn't tied into some other type of merchandising?  A great example is the FNS winners who didn't have any solid foundation (e.g. cookbooks, restaurant, catering business, food-related profession) behind them and flamed out shortly after being awarded the title. They might have been able to play the game well enough to seduce Giada and Bobby into choosing them, but had little substance other than "charm" and (in some cases) marginal cooking chops.

Edited by grisgris
  • Love 7
On 11/25/2017 at 7:57 PM, grisgris said:

Yuck. I watched in horror when Ree made those French toast sticks. Sugar, sugar and then served with more sugar and gross HFCS (pancake syrup.) I thought Ree was trolling us when she added sugar to the Cap'n Crunch or whatever the sugary cereal was. The variations weren't even better. Honestly, I wonder if Ree really is the one with the sweet tooth in the family. All of her kids are too old now to have to be coaxed to eat breakfast by serving sickening sweet fare.  The same goes for those sprinkle-laden cups of ice cream and golden Oreos. I can't imagine either dish appealing to anybody over the age of about 5-6.

I guess the (women's) soup didn't look that bad. Again, another example of more is more. The crema was fine, but then there was cheese, cilantro and pomegranate seeds??? Seriously? I could see that possibly working if the soup had a different flavor profile -- maybe something earthy -- definitely not Tex-Mex.  It would need to be something where the pomegranate seeds added a bright after-burst to the soup and didn't compete with cilantro, cumin, etc.

I have no words for that nasty-looking casserole. What bugs me is that in the time it took for Ree to mix up that hot mess, she could have made a more modern casserole that was nutritious. I also am pasta the excuse that the menfolk won't eat it, etc., etc.  It's pretty easy to hide or disguise almost any ingredient in a casserole. I think she's just being lazy.

This men's food/women's food bugs me.  My husband is happy to eat whatever I make him as long as the 3 things he hates are not in it.  If he ever intimated that he could not eat whatever due to it not being manly?  He would be cooking for himself for some time.  Eat it don't eat it but as long as I don't put your hated items in it be grateful I took the time.  

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Now, you can't just put that out there without telling us! I must know! What are the three no no's?

HA!  Lima beans, lentils, and green bell pepper.  Really random stuff!  I am good with leaving out the L items but green bell pepper?  Love those things!  But for him I will leave them out.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

HA!  Lima beans, lentils, and green bell pepper.  Really random stuff!  I am good with leaving out the L items but green bell pepper?  Love those things!  But for him I will leave them out.

My DH used to think he hated green pepper until I made him a chicken stir fry with pineapple, onions, green pepper and grape tomatoes. That's when he realized he just doesn't like them raw.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My DH used to think he hated green pepper until I made him a chicken stir fry with pineapple, onions, green pepper and grape tomatoes. That's when he realized he just doesn't like them raw.

That sounds absolutely yummy!  I have tried it with no success.  HOWEVER, I have gotten him to tolerate red/yellow/orange peppers if they are cooked.   

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

That sounds absolutely yummy!  I have tried it with no success.  HOWEVER, I have gotten him to tolerate red/yellow/orange peppers if they are cooked.   

Lol, I just copied the idea from the picture on the box of rice.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

This men's food/women's food bugs me.    

That bugs me too. It's so 1950's.  If Ree pines for the 50's, guess what, she most likely wouldn't have a TV gig.

• Love 3

Today's episode ... Those cheesecake things looked like entirely too much trouble to make to cut up and serve as little desserts. I noted the final product was perhaps *inspired* by an old episode of "Nigella's Christmas Kitchen," where Nigella decorated a tray of gingerbread bites or mini brownies or something with cute little evergreens and reindeer and dusted the whole thing with powdered sugar. That was elegant looking and because the decorations went with the dessert and they were few but well-placed. Ree's mess of gaudy neon-colored Christmas trees and cowboys, etc., just clashed with the red of the dessert.

Another epic fail was the Mediterranean artichoke dip. REE-ly ... you can't miss with a warm bubbly dish of the real deal, especially with browned bits on the top and maybe a dribble-dab that has artfully bulled over the side of the dish in it's oozing glory. Again, like with the bruise-sketta bar, more was way too more! I got lost with the dip after the additional pimentos. Green and black olives were bad enough, but hummus and feta were just overkill. I was particularly irked by the strong competing flavors used on the bagel crisp dipping things.  Yuck.

The whole premise seemed like a bitter FU that Ree and her homestead weren't going to be the center of attention and she was just another lowly guest asked to bring a potluck dish. Tum the violin ...

• Love 4

I think Ree lives to garnish and considers herself to be quite clever at it.  She seems to have never learned the meaning of "enough."  IMHO, she should pay more attention to Missy's garnishing, which is simple and elegant.  Missy's lemon cupcakes with a piece of candied lemon stuck atop the frosting was, in my eyes, perfect.  I hope that I never live to see Ree's menagerie of knick-knacks and what-nots atop her birthday cakes-- everything imaginable, including a cowboy on a horse or whatever that child's toy is.  One small garnish in the center of all the birthday candles would look artful, but Ree doesn't seem happy with one of anything.

• Love 2

Speaking of overkill ... how about that "Super Sweet Christmas" cut and paste "special" that was on last night. I can't believe that crap show warranted a prime time spot on FN.  One hour was wa-a-ay too long for a clip show. The only thing interesting was you could track the metamorphosis of Ree's hair color and makeup over the years. During the clip where she made the cinnamon rolls, she didn't look bad. You could tell it was her natural hair because of the texture and it actually looked healthy and it was medium brown. (I'll be generous and stretch it to a dark auburn-brown.) Then her hair morphed into sort of a strawberry blonde and she was sporting the smoky eye makeup then now we have today's version.

It was a boring show. I will give Ree props in that the dark blue sweater with the bell sleeves she wore as she introduced the clips, was nice.  If you insist on having that much going on above the neck, you really need to wear solid colored sweaters and tops.  That one busy shiny bright green top she wore during one of the segments, made my eyes hurt, especially since it clashed with her hair.

• Love 3

I was amused to be reminded in the repeat of the show where she's making up a cookie platter that her idea of high art decorating was spreading green frosting on a round cookie and adding cinnamon red hots for holly berries. The contestants on FN's Christmas Cookies competition claim to worship her for her mad skillz but really, they have nothing to worry about compared to Ree.

• Love 2

One thing that got me was Ree decorating one of her cookies and saying that if you didn't want to use the same thing she was using to decorate them, you could always use sprinkles.  What's WITH that woman and sprinkles???

Last night I was perusing the NY Times bestseller list to choose a novel for my husband, and there was Ree smiling back at me from a cookbook cover.  How in the world her books are bestsellers is beyond me.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Lura said:

One thing that got me was Ree decorating one of her cookies and saying that if you didn't want to use the same thing she was using to decorate them, you could always use sprinkles.  What's WITH that woman and sprinkles???

Last night I was perusing the NY Times bestseller list to choose a novel for my husband, and there was Ree smiling back at me from a cookbook cover.  How in the world her books are bestsellers is beyond me.

Did you look for the dagger? If there is a dagger next to it it means the book is being purchased by a large organization, Such as a church or political group.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Qoass said:

I was amused to be reminded in the repeat of the show where she's making up a cookie platter that her idea of high art decorating was spreading green frosting on a round cookie and adding cinnamon red hots for holly berries. The contestants on FN's Christmas Cookies competition claim to worship her for her mad skillz but really, they have nothing to worry about compared to Ree.

I noticed that, too. I thought that looked so sloppy and half-assed. No, Ree, they weren't "retro" looking. Also, the sample she showed that was recently baked and decorated was a frosted in a much darker green and more neatly decorated than the 1.0.

Count me among those who want to literally throw something at the TV over the excessive fan-girling the Christmas cookie contestants make over Ree on that show. Every time she is introduced, one of the contestants squeals in delight/awe over "Pioneer Woman" or they are fake-shaking in their shoes about being judged by Ree Drummond. Gag ... I'm really surprised her introduction isn't preceded by a drum roll.  Eddie Jackson always looks like, "Girl. I am so over this."  He can probably barely refrain from rolling his eyes.  To make it worse, Ree sits there like she's some kind of figurehead. She doesn't give any constructive feedback and anything remotely negative is so mild that she may as well not have said anything. It is good that the other judges are experienced bakers/pastry chefs, otherwise, this show would be more pointless than it already is.

Edited by grisgris
  • Love 3

Once you get to the top, where Ree is, you can get away with making most anything and bask in the warm glow of praise from worshippers who feel that you were born with a touch of genius.  It seems to be human nature that mediocrity is celebrated, and that fact seems to be most prevalent among people either too dumb or too lazy to think for themselves. 

It also doesn't hurt to have a husband and four children for a cheering section over a plain round cookie with a smear of off-green frosting, even if  they didn't appear on that particular show.  The idea has already been driven home that everything Mom cooks is sensational.  Add a PR hack to the mix, spread the word, and the herd will follow.  We should all be so lucky.

• Love 2
On 12/2/2017 at 8:13 PM, grisgris said:

Today's episode ... Those cheesecake things looked like entirely too much trouble to make to cut up and serve as little desserts. I noted the final product was perhaps *inspired* by an old episode of "Nigella's Christmas Kitchen," where Nigella decorated a tray of gingerbread bites or mini brownies or something with cute little evergreens and reindeer and dusted the whole thing with powdered sugar. That was elegant looking and because the decorations went with the dessert and they were few but well-placed. Ree's mess of gaudy neon-colored Christmas trees and cowboys, etc., just clashed with the red of the dessert.

Another epic fail was the Mediterranean artichoke dip. REE-ly ... you can't miss with a warm bubbly dish of the real deal, especially with browned bits on the top and maybe a dribble-dab that has artfully bulled over the side of the dish in it's oozing glory. Again, like with the bruise-sketta bar, more was way too more! I got lost with the dip after the additional pimentos. Green and black olives were bad enough, but hummus and feta were just overkill. I was particularly irked by the strong competing flavors used on the bagel crisp dipping things.  Yuck.

The whole premise seemed like a bitter FU that Ree and her homestead weren't going to be the center of attention and she was just another lowly guest asked to bring a potluck dish. Tum the violin ...

That dip.  Oh my God.  I would have respected her more if she would have simply laughed maniacally and referred to it as her Hot Mess, because that dip is the epitome of a hot mess.  Genuine barf.  And of all things to make from scratch, bagel chips?  Really, Ree?  I wonder how many of her fans are going to end up in the ER trying to create thin slices of mini bagels.  Even Ina would have popped open a bag of “good” bagel chips, especially if she were planning to serve them with a dip that was the visual and taste equivalent of vomit topped with melted Monterrey jack cheese. (Which Ina wouldn’t.)

Does anyone know why she would use vanilla cream sandwich cookies as the base for the cheese cake bites? Wouldn’t shortbread be just a little less sickeningly sweet?  Never mind, I forget who we are talking about...

And no one makes sadder-looking scones than Ree.  They always look so flat and dense.   Cook them a little longer and they could be hard tack, or a garden trowel.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 7