Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Just read the description of today's new episode:

"She knocks out a marvelous make-ahead dinner mash up of everyone's brunch favorites in her tater tot breakfast casserole."

Pass.  Or possibly puke.

The juxtaposition of this episode against Ina’s earlier brunch episode was almost comic.  Ina did this great waffle bar with a mix of sweet or savory toppings (I love her for including savory toppings like smoked salmon).  Ina also made a potato-based frittata that looked very simple and good.  

Then comes Ree and her “ladies brunch,” with her revolting tater tot and pork sausage casserole.  Aside from sounding gross with tater tots, what puzzled me most is how she makes sure to finely dice all of the peppers, carefully mixing them with shredded cheese into the egg mixture, only to then (stay with me here) pour the entire thing over the sausage/tater tot mixture while carefully redistributing all of the pepper/cheese mixture that she just poured in.  Huh?  Just layer the ingredients individually, dummy.  For as much money as she rakes in, she’s actually pretty stupid isn’t she?

The whole episode was weird.  Citrus salad with radishes?  No thanks.  And please leave the roasted shrimp off my Bloody Mary, especially if it’s being followed with a giant slab of that greasy processed food-laden casserole.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 6

Holy crap, it sounds even worse than the description.  Glad I skipped it.

And, yes, she's just stupid.  Have all of her spicy additions burned her taste buds?  Her combinations are an abomination.  Which makes her popularity a continued mystery.  

• Love 2

What I noticed when she was putting the citrus salad together (heck, I notice this all the time actually), is that she is obsessed with colors and how "pretty" different foods look together, completely disregarding the combinations taste-case in point radishes with citrus, she thought the radishes would offer a pretty color.  Often times when she is putting something together I notice her comments tend to strictly focus on color, she rarely if ever mentions how the different flavors will compliment each other (because she has no clue).

I also had to snort when she was making the bloody mary mix and after adding spice she said "I know all the girls coming can handle the heat" or something to that effect......as someone who cannot handle spicy foods, I highly doubt EVERYONE would love that much spice in their bloody mary, but it's just an excuse so she can add her beloved heat to everything she makes.  I still remember, back when the merc was being worked on, when she made chili and brought it to the workers, after she dished it up, it showed a few of the workers taking a bite, and I still remember one guys face right after he took a bite....his eyes bugged out and he kind of looked at the guy next to him and shook his head.  It was just a few seconds but it shows how her lack of tasting/sampling her food and her heavy hand with spicy add in's can really ruin a dish.  

Her pasty face and bright orange hair was looking particularly garish today.

Edited by lucygoose
  • Love 8

I swear that Ree is like a dog with a bone with her stupid sheet pan "kits." Is it that difficult to carry a tray to the refrigerator and load it up and transport whatever it is to the counter, island, table, etc. Then use said tray more than once? In my mind, multiple sheet pans just take up more room in the fridge, not save room ... (Anybody remember how poor Rachael Ray had to carry ALL of her ingredients in her arms?) FFS, WOMAN up, Ree!

I was never a bloody Mary drinker, so I don't understand the fascination of sticking all sorts of crap into the drink. I know it's chic and trendy right now to make a meal out of your bloody Mary, but that doesn't mean you have to emulate it in your own home. Wouldn't day-old bacon be greasy and congealed? That could be a reasonable opportunity (finally) where Ree could cook the bacon at home (or the Lodge) and host the brunch at the other location. (BTW, Isn't Paigey old enough to stick a sheet pan of bacon in the oven and set a timer?)  I get so confused about the locations. Actually, I don't care.

That citrus salad looked nasty. Period. I love lime as much as the next person, but I would never eat an entire slice of it. Lucygoose is absolutely right. All Ree cares about is how things look on the plate. I just cringed thinking about a mouthful of radish and mint leaves. <shudder> The citrus slices with some cucumber and maybe even some cilantro might be OK, but not that hot mess.

The Bellini kit (here we go again) was unnecessary and another example of taking an idea to tweak a classic a big and going wa-a-ay too far. Pineapple and coconut milk with Proseco (or even champagne) sounded nasty.

I was really surprised that there wasn't something sweet to finish the meal. What an opportunity to whip up an ice cream cake or some type of fussy badly decorated cookies or multi-tiered cake.

You know who would have been the perfect guest at this soiree'?  Guy FEE-eddy!  He would have gone crazy over the bloody Mary spread and you know him and his tater tots ... I could also see him chillin' with Ladd over the grill. "Off da hook!"

• Love 4

My favorite salad using radishes is just sliced radishes and thinly slice fennel with a light vinaigrette.

I just cringed thinking about a mouthful of radish and mint leaves. <shudder> The citrus slices with some cucumber and maybe even some cilantro might be OK, but not that hot mess.

I have a really refreshing summer salad recipe that features spinach, watermelon, cucumber and mint.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I have a really refreshing summer salad recipe that features spinach, watermelon, cucumber and mint.

All of those ingredients are fine with mint - radishes, not so much.

I am nauseous just reading the descriptions of that show.  It gets worse by the day.  And as someone who doesn't even use pepper, I eschew the trend toward spicing up every damned thing these days.  Makes me nuts.

• Love 6

I’m sorry, I’m still stuck on that hot greasy pile of gore that she made with tater tots.  Did she actually suggest that the tater tots break down and you won’t know they’re in it?  Then why use them?  Why not use plain old hash brown potatoes, or heck, use O’Brien potatoes and she’d have the peppers and onions already in the mix and she wouldn’t have to be bothered chopping them up?  

Instead, she uses tater tots, places them on the BOTTOM where they will break down and lose the crispness that most people like about tater tots.  Even Michelle Duggar knows you put the tots on top of the casserole if you’re going to use them.  :-D

More imporatantly, I suppose, is why do I care?  

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

All of those ingredients are fine with mint - radishes, not so much.

I am nauseous just reading the descriptions of that show.  It gets worse by the day.  And as someone who doesn't even use pepper, I eschew the trend toward spicing up every damned thing these days.  Makes me nuts.

Oh no, I totally agree. Radishes are spicy/peppery/crunchy little  doll babies. They do not go with citrus, they would cancel each other out. Ree uses things for color with no concept of how flavors work. I guess what I'm saying is she's an idiot.

• Love 6

I totally agree with the thought that Ree doesn’t understand flavor and texture balance, but I’m not so sure she totally made the citrus and radish thing up.  I did a little googling, as we know Ree does now that she’s wiped out all reserves of ladies auxiliary and church cookbooks, and I saw a New York Times recipe that called for radishes, citrus, and pistachios.  Saveur had one, as well. She’s not that creative, so I would bet she found it through the google or had it on some spa vacation.  I am surprised she didn’t put candied pecans or circus peanuts on it.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, anneofcleves said:

I am surprised she didn’t put candied pecans or circus peanuts on it.

You mean unshelled peanuts?  LOL  Don't give Ree any ideas.  I can hear her baby voice saying, "This is such a fun salad!  Shelling the peanuts gives your guests something to do while they're chewing!"  Or maybe "The peanut shells are such a beautiful color, especially when brightened up by the citrus and the mint!  Glorious!  Miraculous!  Heavenly!  Amen."

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Just read the description of today's new episode:

"She knocks out a marvelous make-ahead dinner mash up of everyone's brunch favorites in her tater tot breakfast casserole."

Oh sweet Jesus, Ree is now stealing "recipes" from the Duggars?

• Love 7
14 hours ago, anneofcleves said:

Citrus salad with radishes?  No thanks.

Oh, MAN, I'm glad I skipped this. Hurl!

14 hours ago, anneofcleves said:

And please leave the roasted shrimp off my Bloody Mary, especially if it’s being followed with a giant slab of that greasy processed food-laden casserole.

8 hours ago, grisgris said:

Wouldn't day-old bacon be greasy and congealed?

So wait, there was shrimp AND bacon in her cocktail? She's done lost her mind.

8 hours ago, grisgris said:

Pineapple and coconut milk with Proseco (or even champagne) sounded nasty.

I literally just said "Oh FFS" but without the abbreviation. That's just foul

7 hours ago, anneofcleves said:

Instead, she uses tater tots, places them on the BOTTOM where they will break down and lose the crispness that most people like about tater tots.

Cripes, yes. Basically what she has is soft shredded potatoes at the bottom now.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Lura said:

You mean unshelled peanuts?  LOL  Don't give Ree any ideas.  I can hear her baby voice saying, "This is such a fun salad!  Shelling the peanuts gives your guests something to do while they're chewing!"  Or maybe "The peanut shells are such a beautiful color, especially when brightened up by the citrus and the mint!  Glorious!  Miraculous!  Heavenly!  Amen."

No, Lura. I meant circus peanuts.  They’re an old time candy.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, anneofcleves said:

They’re an old time candy.

Those awful bright orange things that were sugar, gelatin, and food coloring?  Right up her alley.

Actually, that description fits Ree as well.

• Love 5

AnneofCleves, I knew you would never use unshelled peanuts in a dish.  Your food taste is too elevated for that!  I just wanted to run with the idea since Ree is dumb enough to do something like that.

When Ree added the canned milk ("the nectar of the gods") to her cocktail, I actually shouted, "Oh, NO!" It made her concoction the true kiss of death.

If Ree is so almighty proud of her mashed potatoes, why didn't she begin her casserole with a layer of those?  With her cream cheese and other embellishments, they belong in Cholesterol City, but they'd be a tasty layer of goodness, far preferable to tater tots.  I guess, since the guests are old friends, it isn't necessary to feed them the good stuff. 

• Love 1

Did anybody catch Gesine's sheet pan "hack" the other day on "Baked in Vermont?"  She made the lattice top for her apple slab pie on the bottom of an upside-down sheet pan. She made a lovely design and then chilled the dough. Then she yanked the parchment paper that was underneath the lattice crust out it slipped off the sheet pan and it landed perfectly on top of the pie. Pretty cool! Now, that's how you work a sheet pan.

Edited by grisgris
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, grisgris said:

Did anybody catch Gesine's sheet pan "hack" the other day on "Baked in Vermont?"  She made the lattice top for her apple slab pie on the bottom of an upside-down sheet pan. She made a lovely design and then chilled the dough. Then she yanked the parchment paper that was underneath the lattice crust out it slipped off the sheet pan and it landed perfectly on top of the pie. Pretty cool! Now, that's how you work a sheet pan.

Yes - that was impressive. Such a good show - hope it survives.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Now, that's how you work a sheet pan.

Loved that tip!  I am definitely going to remember that one. 

I do like her show, it's the kind of baking I am more likely to do with well thought out flavors and combinations.  I hope it stays on, too.

• Love 1
On 1/1/2018 at 8:29 PM, grisgris said:

Yes, I thought that was very cool and a great hack unlike Ree's 50 sheet pans in her freezer. I really enjoy Baked In Vermont and hope it stays on air, everything she makes looks so good!

• Love 3

I don't buy that Ree would eat anything "lightened up" on her birthday. I liked the purse the boys bought her, but those earrings would be a no for me.

Oatmeal in meatloaf? Ew. Is that one of those internet crazes Ree's always talking about that I've never heard of?

Hey, it's everyone's favorite, the hidden snake joke! 

• Love 3

Seems as though I was once told that the reason for putting oatmeal in meatloaf in olden days was to "stretch" it back when meat was rare and expensive.  Oatmeal bulked it up and also added additional fiber (as opposed to bread crumbs) to make the diners feel fuller.

Anyone else remember that?

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Seems as though I was once told that the reason for putting oatmeal in meatloaf in olden days was to "stretch" it back when meat was rare and expensive.  Oatmeal bulked it up and also added additional fiber (as opposed to bread crumbs) to make the diners feel fuller.

Anyone else remember that?

Yep. It's the same reason people use bread crumbs, cereal (corn flakes, I think) and bread cubes. It's to add bulk, absorb juices and maintain binding.

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:44 PM, Kohola3 said:

I do like her show, it's the kind of baking I am more likely to do with well thought out flavors and combinations.  I hope it stays on, too.

When I lived in Massachusetts, I quickly learned that much of New England loves Vermont  because it's where you went to buy gorgeous apples, stock up on maple syrup and ski.  For those sentimental reasons, I wanted badly to like a baking show from Vermont.  I feel like the Grinch that stole Christmas because I'm just not sold on the show yet.

Genine is a little bit too hyper for me.  She's a little bit too eager to show the viewers how clever she is.  I know that her manner can easily be explained as enthusiasm for her subject and a real joy in baking, and I do appreciate her tips (if I ever decide to make a cake with a D inside it).  Nevertheless, I'm hoping that she'll settle down a bit as the shows go on, like Nancy Fuller did.  It's still early for Genine.  I'd like to like the show, so I'm waiting patiently, and maybe one of these days, Genine will win me over.

ETA:  Sorry to be off-topic here.  This belongs in "Baking in Vermont."  My mind switched from Ree to Genine, which Genine would not appreciate.

Edited by Lura
added ETA
  • Love 1

Watching the "All In One" Episode, and ready to bang my head against the wall! How many alleged "food authorities" do you know who can't even pronounce the word "risotto"?  Her pronunciation of "rissss-auto" is completely ignorante, as my Italian friend would say.  At least her pronunciation of "faux" for her Fakey McFakerson not-at-all-Vietnamese kale & ramen noodle bowl is spot-on.  I was also treated to the episode where she makes a berry "milfoy" with sheets of puff pastry.  

Seriously, at least make an effort to learn the proper way to say the words.  HAAAAAATE her!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Lura said:

... ETA:  Sorry to be off-topic here.  This belongs in "Baking in Vermont."  My mind switched from Ree to Genine, which Genine would not appreciate.

Is there a "Baking In Vermont" section (or topic or thread or forum, or whatever it should be called)?  I haven't figured out how to find anything, but I do like that show (almost as much as I hate "Pioneer Woman"). 

12 minutes ago, Fairfax said:

Is there a "Baking In Vermont" section (or topic or thread or forum, or whatever it should be called)?

Sadly, no.  Since she and Ree are such polar opposites, it seems like this is the place to discuss that show.  I'm not sure how one gets started.

19 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Sadly, no.  Since she and Ree are such polar opposites, it seems like this is the place to discuss that show.  I'm not sure how one gets started.

If  people are interested, I'll request a forum.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yep. It's the same reason people use bread crumbs, cereal (corn flakes, I think) and bread cubes. It's to add bulk, absorb juices and maintain binding.

I've used all of those in meatloaf before. I like saltine crackers a lot, as well. I had never heard of using oatmeal. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

If  people are interested, I'll request a forum.

I did that this afternoon but an additional request might help.  Or a note from our moderator to stay on topic.

I don't make meatloaf but I do use oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs in salmon cups (which is salmon loaf that's baked in muffin cups instead of a loaf pan).  It seems a little bit healthier than bread & it helps to use up the copious supply of oatmeal that comes in the big box from Costco.

• Love 1

I can't handle the way she pronounces balsamic, it is so irritating. She knows how to say it correctly, she just chooses not to (she said herself on her Facebook I'm pretty sure). 

I thought her cake she made today looked a little off and not at all like something Ladd would eat. That powdered sugar is much too delicate for a cowboy like him! lol

• Love 1

Today's episode was another instance of showing us "recipes" and/or ideas that have been around of a good 10-20 years or so.  Ree didn't create any of them herself except maybe that disgusting "fry sauce."

Mini meatloafs made in muffin cups is not a new idea. Neither is substituting ground turkey for ground beef. Ree implying that her meatloaf recipe brings men to their knees, was laughable when the first flavor element was seasoning salt ... and ketchup.  I have heard of using oatmeal as a filler in meatloaf but the recipes I've read have recommended pulsing it up in the food processor first so it's a finer texture.  If you want a really flavorful ground turkey loaf, I highly recommend Giada's ground turkey loaf with sun-dried tomatoes and feta. It have only a scant 1/2 cup of bread crumbs. I scratched my head when Ree said she typically used half a loaf of white bread in her meatloaf recipe. (I found some of the Giada recipe turkey loaf in the freezer last night that I'd long forgotten about and it was just as tasty as it was back ???? when I made it.)

People have been making oven-baked fries for years and years now.  Oh, boy ... chili powder. I think that if I had a gun held to my head and I had to make fry sauce, I would prefer to use mayo instead of Greek yogurt and buttermilk. Gag.  Paigey sure was acting overly excited and enthusiastic about that lackluster lunch. 

The cauliflower "mac and cheese" was a misnomer. What Ree made was a cauliflower gratin. I have seen Ellie Krieger made cauliflower mac and cheese and yes, she used cauliflower, but she also used whole wheat macaroni. I think the idea is that you cut back on the carbs by using cauliflower in place of some of the pasta.  If you just want a baked cauliflower in cheese sauce recipe, I am going to again recommend a recipe by Giada that's cauliflower baked in a white sauce with Parmesan and pancetta. I have all of the ingredients ready to go for this upcoming weekend.

The cake seemed OK. I was worried that it might be dry because of all of the cocoa powder Ree added.

Who does this hack think she's fooling, anyway?

• Love 2

I was watching a Fact or Fiction marathon today, and he mentioned that oatmeal etc. were added to meatloaf during WWII because of meat rationing. I world have thought it dated earlier, like during the Depression.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, grisgris said:

I have heard of using oatmeal as a filler in meatloaf but the recipes I've read have recommended pulsing it up in the food processor first so it's a finer texture. 

My husband's absolute favorite thing is a meatloaf I make with ground beef, ground buffalo, and ground pork. It also uses oatmeal rather than bread crumbs, although I've never chopped it up in the food processor first. It really soaks up the juices, and by the time it's fully cooked, it's pretty well incorporated. I also give it some zing with some hot sauce (I know, very Ree-like behavior). I got the recipe out of a cookbook put together by the food columnist for a now-defunct paper here, who did a feature called "Recipe Please" where people would ask for recipes from restaurants around town, and she would publish them. The first time I made that meatloaf, my husband told me it was better than his mom's. I've modified it a little bit (mostly by adding the hot sauce) because he really likes spicy food (as do I). 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, IOU Payne said:

Watching the "All In One" Episode, and ready to bang my head against the wall! How many alleged "food authorities" do you know who can't even pronounce the word "risotto"?  Her pronunciation of "rissss-auto" is completely ignorante, as my Italian friend would say.  At least her pronunciation of "faux" for her Fakey McFakerson not-at-all-Vietnamese kale & ramen noodle bowl is spot-on.  I was also treated to the episode where she makes a berry "milfoy" with sheets of puff pastry.  

Seriously, at least make an effort to learn the proper way to say the words.  HAAAAAATE her!

Well "faux" only has on syllable. :)

• Love 6

Ree made me sick today with her 16-Minute Diet Meals, only she didn't call them diet.  They were the skimpiest, saddest looking meals I've seen in a long time.  I won't get into the details of her menu, but suffice it to say that the agony began with Ree making a huge mound of curly zucchini noodles done on her spiralizer.  The rest of the show was all downhill.  I'm sure the ideas came to her in a bad dream.  Paigey made a brief appearance long enough to say that she LOVES her mother's cooking and that everything looked delicious.  The girl deserves an Emmy.  My advice as a friend: Skip this one.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Lura said:

Ree made me sick today with her 16-Minute Diet Meals, only she didn't call them diet.  They were the skimpiest, saddest looking meals I've seen in a long time.  I won't get into the details of her menu, but suffice it to say that the agony began with Ree making a huge mound of curly zucchini noodles done on her spiralizer.  The rest of the show was all downhill.  I'm sure the ideas came to her in a bad dream.  Paigey made a brief appearance long enough to say that she LOVES her mother's cooking and that everything looked delicious.  The girl deserves an Emmy.  My advice as a friend: Skip this one.

I didn't see all the episode but I'm just not a fan of substituting pasta noodles with zucchini or any kind of squash. I just don't enjoy it, though my grandfather loves my grandmother's spaghetti squash pasta dishes.

Ree just doesn't bring anything inventive to the health food scene, the stuff she presents is stuff I've been seeing chefs on FN and my grandmother doing for years.

• Love 3

@peacheslatour I've never had spaghetti squash either, I like other kinds though so I'm sure it's good, I just can't imagine it as noodles in a pasta. If I was going to make a "healthier" pasta I would use whole wheat which is also something my grandmother does. Now there's somebody who would be qualified to talk about making stuff healthy, she's been studying it and perfecting her recipes for years.

• Love 1

Spaghetti squash is really good. However, on its own, it's pretty bland and readily absorbs the flavors of whatever you add to it. I've tried "zoodles" and they are OK. But I'll use a recipe that is designed to incorporate zucchini, not substituting the squash for actual pasta. I agree that if you want a healthier pasta dish, to go with whole wheat.

• Love 4