Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Marathonrunner said:

Please tell me that today's episode was punking the audience!

I think today's episode was the brainchild of being flat out of original ideas.  Then there is just absurdity and the "why not?" factor. I honestly think Ree was just showing off for her blog because she mentioned photos and social media about 20 times.

I don't know what to think about that burger from hell. What threw me off was the addition of macaroni and cheese on top of a piece of butter lettuce.  (Well, the M&C period.) That was just going to make the lettuce mushy and it would disintegrate into that layer of nasty fry sauce.

I did the math and each of those meatballs came out to 1 lb. each.  That's way too much for one person to each, even if they are growing teenage boys. (If you are just going to cut the meatballs up, then why bother?) Even using ground turkey didn't really make any difference. I was concerned about the meatballs being either under done or dry.

The pizza was also a head-scratcher because only a few people would get a piece with a decent amount of crust on it. I know there are some ways to cut pizza that purposely don't include the crust so maybe that would be OK for those who don't care for the crust.

That was one very expensive dessert. I was mentally trying to add up everything*. Each of those containers of ice cream are about $2-$3. Then you had the pecans and toffee bits, which are about $3 a bag and Ree probably used 3-4. Boxes of those Nabisco chocolate wafers are $4 a box. Bottles of that Magic Shell are about $3 and you'd need several to coat a mud pie of that size. Easily $50 at the minimum. Actually, I liked the mud pie, just not in that quantity. WTH would you stash that thing anyway? It certainly wouldn't fit in my freezer.

*Based on prices at my local Price Chopper here in KCMO.

I wish that Ree's wardrobe was featured on worontv.com because I want to know who'd admit to designing that turquoise monstrosity at the end of the show, the one with the weird print on it. I couldn't tell what it was. Animals? Ree really needs a makeover. Today was about as bad as I've seen. She needs a darker foundation, especially for the outdoor shots. Her face looks so pasty and white. The stark contrast to the orange-red hair doesn't help, not do the heavily lined eyes. She looked ghastly during the car trip to wherever. That yellow top didn't help. I hate to always use Nicole Kidman as an example, but that is how fair skin, light eyes and reddish hair are supposed to look. I'm sure NK colors her hair but at least it looks closer to what it probably looked like as a kid. Ree's eyes look like holes in a snow drift.

• Love 8

I agree with every observation you made, grisgris.  My DH and I squeezed a viewing into our dinner hour tonight, and I felt disgusted the entire show long.  My first impression, like yours, was that Ree was showing off.  My second thought was that Ree had had too much to drink.  My conclusion was that Ree was simply bored and made her "creations" as a way of letting off steam.

There was no sense in that enormous hamburger containing everything in her refrigerator.  The meatballs weren't funny, and the pizza took no creativity to make.  It's been done and done again.  The mud pie was ridiculous.  Who could eat even one portion of anything that rich?

The first thing I noticed about Ree was her white, white skin and overlined eyes.  She looked like a freak.  Her hair had just undergone a new dye job, and it was about as orange as I've ever seen it.  Coupled with the tops she wore, I had sore eyes just looking at her.  She was obviously aiming for the flashy broad of Pawtuska image and wasn't far from it.  Everything about her screamed "Look at me!"  I am absolutely convinced that Ree is aware of how she looks and the impression she gives, and I'm dead sure that she's happy with it.  In the past, I've sometimes thought that someone needed to tell her and set her straight, but I no longer feel that way.  Ree knows the impression she gives, and she's happy with it.  I no longer buy into the nonsense that Ree needs counseling about makeup, hair and even show ideas.  Ree knows exactly what she's doing (because she can).  I honestly believe that she has received so many letters from viewers about getting help, and this is her way of giving those viewers her middle finger.

I resent Ree being allowed to take up time on the FN to show off, to live out her fantasies, and to put on her childish ideas.  Today's episode wasn't funny.  It was, IMHO, obnoxious.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 7

I completely forgot that Scripps has a new program on "Ginormous Foods," but I forgot if it's on FN or TCC.  I just saw a clip from the FN feed on Facebook. It showed a woman going into a pizza shop and coming out with a 2-ft. slice of pizza in one hand and a regular sized slice in her other hand. I think maybe that was Ree's inspiration.

I believe that Ree has deluded herself into thinking that she's developed an "iconic look" with her wardrobe, hair* and makeup. Usually, an "iconic look" is a style that others want to imitate. Sadly, not in this case.

*I seriously question if that is even her real hair. It has a very "extension" look to it, especially at the ends. Also, she never has her back to the camera, which would reveal any tell-tale layers of "beach waves" which are a dead give away of extensions.

• Love 6

Oy vey, I just went to the Food Network site and read the recipes for yesterday's debacle.  Since my mother's attempts to cultivate a ladylike appetite in me were futile, I am no stranger to giant burgers.  But this is just gross!  Why the fuck didn't she just use Kraft Dinner instead of making her own mac & cheese?  She's using Kraft cheese anyway, and her palate has been dead so long that Briscoe and Logan were the ones to call it.  Are home defibrillator kits her new sponsor instead of Land O' Lakes?

• Love 5

Land O'Lakes and whomever makes fontina cheese. She gave repeated shout-outs to Fontina, as well.

ITA, why waste time and money making stovetop mac 'n cheese to slop on a hamburger bun. Indeed, that was one of the acceptable occasions to go with the boxed stuff. She was using Velveeta processed cheese anyway, so why not grab a VV box?

• Love 4

The episode was Big Game, Big Food.  More like Big Game, Absurd Portion.  It’s like she’s cooking for people with eating disorders, which is not at all a joking matter.

So the spaghetti and meatballs uses three pounds of meat to make three, one pound meatballs. To serve 6-8 people, according to the recipe.  OK, that’s dumb, but so is she.  And while we are on dumb, isn’t Texas toast just more thickly sliced commercial white bread that costs more than regularly sliced commercial white bread? Why not save your fans some money and tell them to buy regular old cheap white bread?

Her gigantic pizza slice comes out looking like a misshapen, poorly cut piece of pizza, that she then carves up into random polygon type shapes to serve.  Dumb.

The worst was the stupid mile high burger that was just a hot mess of everything your cardiologist doesn’t want you to eat, vertically stacked with a wood skewer.  If someone served me that and expected me to disassemble that prior to eating I’d want to stab them with the skewer.

I couldn’t bring myself to watch her make dessert.  I may be close to giving up on watching her.  She’s clearly given up, so why should I contribute to her ratings?  It’s not even snark worthy, it’s just laziness. 

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 14

The leftovers from those burgers alone would be a nightmare.  For instance, which burger belongs to which person?  Even if you didn't reassemble them, dissembling them would take more time than I'd be willing to put into them.  Knowing busy Ree, the leftovers went into the trash.  All that money spent on all of that waste is utter insanity.  Of course, Ree has the money to throw away if she wishes to.  It seems not to matter that the network for which she works supports programs to help feed hungry children.

I have a ton of stuff to take care of tomorrow morning, but first I'm going to do three things: (1) Write a note to a soldier, (2) write a note of protest to Ree, amd (3) write the same to the FN.  Someday, I want to be one of the people who smiles to herself, knowing that I helped send Ree from #1 to Off the Airwaves.  Besides, I feel a little bit stupid myself for ranting here and doing nothing to try to change things.

Geez, I feel so much better after I've ranted to you guys!  Thanks for putting up with it.  It feels so good to come here and to feel that you're among some pretty terrific friends!  XO

• Love 11

I agree with all of you.  What an abomination.  There for awhile I thought that this and that Trisha's show would be snark worthy, reminiscent of Snady, but, they're both just horrid.  I guess Sandra was one of a kind.

• Love 1

I didn't understand what she intended with that burger at all. Could not be served as you all have said. I gues when she said that it was for a picture for social media that is all it was for. Then she insults her TV  viewers by showing off her clever way to waste food, money and time to take a funny picture. 

• Love 1

I don't understand why Ree and Ina (can't believe I put them in the same category -lol) have to take pics of their stuff.  I get the blog - I get the cookbook.  WHY IS IT ON YOUR SHOW?  They're just way too into themselves.  ('Sorry, Ina, but you've been phoning it in, too.)

• Love 2

I don't understand why Ree and Ina (can't believe I put them in the same category -lol) have to take pics of their stuff. 

If I see one more close up sequence of pouring a teaspoon of vanilla into a bowl.....

They must think we are morons if we can't do that without a video of every step.  And I agree that Ina is just a bad with that filler crap.  Give us more recipes or discuss techniques that are unusual or require special skills. I can pour and measure, thank you very much.

• Love 1

I suspect it helps their "numbers" when it comes to advertising support to have people wasting time digging through useless pictures. I know to go straight to the bottom of the page and find the print button pronto. (Not for Ree, mind you-- I'm a big Budget Bytes fan.)

• Love 3

I thought that the gigantic food show was the worst, but now that I've seen the tequila show,  I think the two are neck and neck for the worst two episodes Ree has ever done (at least in my book).

First, Ree transformed her Mexican soup recipe with the shredded tortillas by adding tequila to it.  BLECH!  But we had to go through the entire process of making the soup all over again, this time waiting until Ree had taken pictures of every step.  I've never been able to acquire a taste for tequila in the first place, and the episode turned snoozeworthy very quickly since she's made the soup before.  Making it all over again was simply an obvious filler for a show, was an insult to the viewers and was clearly a "because I can" move.  Maddening!

The only enjoyable moment for me came at the end when Ree made tall Tequila Sunrise cocktails for herself and Hye.  Ree saved the tequila for the tops of the glasses and didn't stir it in, so that first sip packed a wallop.  In addition, we know how Ree has to garnish everything, and in this case, she sprinkled chili powder over the top.  The look on Hye's face after her first sip truly told everything about the drink.  Her eyes bugged out wildly, and it was all she could do to muster a smile.

The show ended, thankfully, after Ree had photographed every step of every dish to make them "blog-worthy."  She seemed happy, and after all that tequila, I'm sure she was.

• Love 3

Today's Detritus:  Breakfast Hacks.  What can I say about this dreck?  The woman can't pronounce muesli, for fucks' sake!  It's not Mew-sa-li.  I'm gonna compile a list of all the words she's mangled throughout her TV career.  If I'm not back in four days, send a search party out for me.

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, IOU Payne said:

I'm gonna compile a list of all the words she's mangled throughout her TV career. 

Now, now, you know us lil' old down home country gals can't be expected do know those furrin-type words. We just do us some plain hearty cookin' for our cowboys, none of that fancy citified stuff.

• Love 1

Now, now, you know us lil' old down home country gals can't be expected do know those furrin-type words. We just do us some plain hearty cookin' for our cowboys, none of that fancy citified stuff.

I'm an eeeevil city gal, so I clearly don't know any better.  Oh wellzzzzz.  

Edited by IOU Payne
  • Love 2

Apparently, these shakes really are a "thing" at certain bars and restaurants. I just felt bad for Todd because she kept slapping his hand away and criticizing him in favor of her own ridiculous result.

ETA: I caught the tag end of an episode in which Ree makes box lunches for the staff working on rehabbing the Mercantile building and one of the guys cries out, "What's in the box?!?". I'm convinced he was going for a reference to Seven.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Qoass said:

Apparently, these shakes really are a "thing" at certain bars and restaurants.

Wait, are you saying she did not invent this?   Shocked, I tell ya.  Who would have figured that she would take another trend and idea and make it her own creation?  I'm sure it's an cowboy creation that was passed down.

:O

• Love 6

I noticed on Saturday's episode that Ree's hair was darker. It looked a lot better.

None of the treats she was making for Paige's school look that horrible until she got to those marshmallow stick things. When they were described as "marshmallow treats," I was expecting the Rice Krispie's version. So that was marshmallows on a stick, then dipped in melted chocolate, then rolled in dark cookie crumbs, dipped again in white chocolate, then back into the chocolate cookie crumbs, right?

Why question: WHY?  I know they were supposed to be cookies and cream inspired but honestly, they looked like dog turds. I inherited a very healthy sweet tooth from my dearly departed dad, but even that had me cringing. Ugh ... I hope Paige's classmates were easy on her.

Loved Todd's snarky remark about chipotle peppers in the fudge.

• Love 4
On 2/11/2018 at 5:46 PM, peacheslatour said:

We need a support group Survivors of Ree Drummond Induced Trauma.

Yep.

And it all starts with the first step: We admitted we were powerless over Ree -- and that our viewing lives had become unmanageable.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4

Talk about torture.  I just finished watching the milkshake episode yesterday, and now Ree does a special on chocolate and includes that darned milkshake in it all over again!  She must love that segment, which makes her even more odd and mentally twisted. 

Ree claims to take a walk every evening.  After eating the way she does and the kind of food she does, she needs those walks and then some.  One thing I don't understand is that she wears those tops to hide her stomach.  Then, she pigs out at every opportunity. 

I suspect she has a hidden agenda in taking so many sweets to BFF Hye.  I don't think Ree will be happy until Hye is also forced to wear those tops, and the two of them can waddle around shopping together.  I noted that Hye didn't seem overjoyed with the "gift" of that tiramisu.  I might love Hye forever if she took that concoction into the house and dumped it.

Really people??   I can’t be the only one that noticed Hyacinth’s hair situation on today’s show...  wtf happened??

I must admit that I thoroughly enjoyed all of the side eyes she gave Ree today though....

Edited by tabloidlover
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

Really people??   I can’t be the only one that noticed Hyacinth’s hair situation on today’s show...  wtf happened??

I must admit that I thoroughly enjoyed all of the side eyes she gave Ree today though....

What did she do to her hair?!! Dye it bright green so it would look more natural than Ree's?

In regards to the shrimp and grits in today's episode:  Ree put in raw bacon and that reminded me of one of my earliest recipe fails.    Looking to try new things, I got recipe from a coworker for Italian pasta sauce, and one ingredient was bacon.  I chopped the raw slices and added it to the simmering tomato sauce.   The finished product was not good - the bacon was technically cooked but it had a chewy and kinda gross texture (the fat on the bacon was nasty and slimy).  I spent a good 45 minutes trying to pick out tiny pieces of bacon out of thick, red sauce; finally gave up and dumped the whole pot.   Feeling dumb, I never mentioned that screw-up to my coworker and to this day, I still wonder if I was supposed to fry the bacon first.

All this to say, I've never had shrimp and grits.  I've seen it made on other shows - don't recall if bacon is a standard ingredient or something Ree threw in because she can.  I just imagine little chewy bits floating in the grits and my experience.  Raw bacon - yea or nay?

Edited by patty1h
to describe the bacon texture
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I would never add raw bacon to anything but a frying pan or a parchment lined cookie sheet.

Yep. Fry or bake that lovely goodness all by itself (and save the grease, so my granny doesn't descend from heaven to berate you). THEN add it to the shrimp and grits at the end as a garnish. Or eat it with some scrambled eggs...or throw it on a BLT. God, I love bacon.

• Love 9
On 1/28/2018 at 10:17 AM, anneofcleves said:

So the spaghetti and meatballs uses three pounds of meat to make three, one pound meatballs. To serve 6-8 people, according to the recipe.  OK, that’s dumb, but so is she.  

Disclaimer: I've been very sick since late January and haven't seen any of the shows so am going off your descriptions. 

So, meatballs: how the HELL can you evenly cook a one pound meatball? And if you're serving 6-8 with it, you're going to cut them up. So, WHY?

On 2/11/2018 at 1:13 PM, Sweedish Fish said:

I just witnessed in horror the 'Crazy Milkshake' episode.  I don't have the words to comment on this yet.  

image.png.012f574fec4db4a261e4745320d001f9.png

Do I still have a fever? Am I in delirium? What the hell IS that?

On 2/11/2018 at 2:03 PM, LillyB said:

That milkshake just proves that Ree doesn't understand the concept that less is more.

But she's taught us all that enough is enough.

• Love 8