Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, ariel said:

Unlike Ree,  I think Aunt Sandy was in on the joke that was her show.  The Christmas tree decorated with booze bottles.  Classic Aunt Sandy. I wonder if Ree will try to copy that & call it her own? If she does ,  will  she do it with the courage of conviction like AS did?

Aunt Sandy reminded me somewhat of Amy Sedaris and her crafting book Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People.  All that silly early 70s stuff that used to qualify as crafts.  

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

Aunt Sandy reminded me somewhat of Amy Sedaris and her crafting book Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People.  All that silly early 70s stuff that used to qualify as crafts.  

YES.  My mom still has a basement full of orange yarn, busily-patterned contact paper, huge pieces of felt, artificial flowers, hemp, jute, and tiny squares of glass left over from those joyously tacky days.  Any and all gentle suggestions to allow me to back a 1-800-GOT-JUNK truck up to the basement door are graciously ignored.  Aunt Sandy would be proud.

(All hail the Sedaris family and every word they write!)

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, SuzyLee said:

YES.  My mom still has a basement full of orange yarn, busily-patterned contact paper, huge pieces of felt, artificial flowers, hemp, jute, and tiny squares of glass left over from those joyously tacky days.  Any and all gentle suggestions to allow me to back a 1-800-GOT-JUNK truck up to the basement door are graciously ignored.  Aunt Sandy would be proud.

I would LOVE to see both Amy and David.  I have suggested an event planner I know who brings David to speak often that he needs to do a double billing of Amy and David.  It would be hilarious!  Orange yarn.  Brings back memories.  If I could only get the hang of macrame.  You should save all that stuff and have an Amy Sedaris craft themed party (with some Harvey Wallbangers to keep with the theme of 70s).  Fun AND cleaning out long saved glorious crap!  Win win!

• Love 2
(edited)
7 minutes ago, anneofcleves said:

I haven't seen it, but I'm dying to know how she elevates white bread.  As in butters it?  Toasts it?  Makes a....drumroll...sandwich?  Please, don't spoil it for me!

Let's just say it's a pretty cheesy segment (*nudge nudge*).

No, seriously, brace yourself.  

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, SuzyLee said:

Dude, put the squares of glass (colored?) in a mesh bag with some sand, drop them in your nearest lake, pond or creek for a couple of months and you'll have some pricey "beach glass".

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Dude, put the squares of glass (colored?) in a mesh bag with some sand, drop them in your nearest lake, pond or creek for a couple of months and you'll have some pricey "beach glass".

I remember collecting beach glass on Long Island as a kid. I wish I had known at the time it would be worth something.

• Love 2

This definitely seemed like Ree's homage to Aunt Sandy (especially with the use of the store-bought angel food cake), but I'm pretty sure Sandy would've used canned vanilla frosting on those tarts. Oh -- and isn't Baked Alaska supposed to be, you know -- BAKED?

So someone who home-schools her kids thinks that we bought Alaska as a state in the 1800s? OK, then. 

• Love 4

I laughed at that Alaska remark. I agree. Ree needs to go visit Sarah Palin and they can have lunch together and gaze at Russia from Sarah's back porch. /eyeroll.

I also thought you were supposed to BAKE a baked Alaska. I'll bet viewers who have issues with raw eggs were freaking out.  And speaking of ... we used to snark that Aunt Sandy was wasteful, well I thought Ree just used about a third of the AFC for the base of her "baked" Alaska.

For my taste, those little fruit tarts had way too much fruit crammed on top to eat easily. It kind of defeated the purpose of making mini versions of a fruit pizza. YMMV.

18 hours ago, anneofcleves said:

I haven't seen it, but I'm dying to know how she elevates white bread.  As in butters it?  Toasts it?  Makes a....drumroll...sandwich?  Please, don't spoil it for me!

I won't but it also involves butter. Lots of butter and I think that with the effort and resulting mess there might have been better options.

And with the soup ... as usual ... starts with a halfway decent idea then craps it up with too many ingredients. After Ree dished up her bowl up soup she just kept adding and adding "finishing touches."  ARRGGGGHHH!!!

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 0:27 PM, peacheslatour said:

Borscht is served either hot or cold. In fact I've never seen it served cold. I make it all the time because I grow beets. There are many variations, just like minestrone. I bet she could never get the "men" to eat it either.

I've been thinking about this, Peaches.  The only time I've seen anyone make borscht was  Ina Garten on her show, and I'm almost positive she served it cold with a sandwich for a lunch with her editors.

I laughed to see that FN ran the "Middle Children" episode hours later in which they made fruit pizzas which were exactly like the tarts only the fruit was grilled.

• Love 1

So someone who home-schools her kids thinks that we bought Alaska as a state in the 1800s? OK, then. 

But...but...'Merica! (Seriously though, that was a big old history fail.) 

I also thought you were supposed to BAKE a baked Alaska. I'll bet viewers who have issues with raw eggs were freaking out.

Yep. The quick baking is supposed to set the merengue. Her waving that tiny kitchen torch in the direction of the merengue did nothing to set anything below the immediate surface of the "baked" Alaska. It was whipped-cream gloopy when she set that cut piece on the plate. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh, I'm so glad you all didn't spoil the Elevate This episode.  Thank you!  What a culinary joy.  And yeah, she's totally entering Aunt Sandy territory, except she's not half as entertaining.

I will confess that aside from a round loaf of bread, I don't have any of these "everyday" items.  Ever.  I never have store bought Angel food cake, or sugar cookie dough in a tube, or even canned tomato soup (sorry, too salty for me).  So in order to make this stuff, I'd have to make a special trip to buy it and then crap it up.  Semi-Homemade Redux.

I would never make a baked Alaska, so scratch that.  Sugar cookie tarts, eh.  They were really big in the late 90s, as I recall, at pretty much every Pampered Chef party you were summoned to attend.  

That soup, barf.  Why not just take a fistful of salt and cram it in your mouth?  She was really impressed with herself when she added chopped TOMATOES to the TOMATO soup, referring to them as a "cool thing to stir into tomatuh soup."  Ha!

The most incredible elevation truly was the bread, with that unholy amount of butter and cheese added.  I always envision her guests needing to be taken out back and hosed off after one of her meals.  Can you imagine tearing into that mess of cheese and butter, while trying to eat soup? 

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 5

I would never make a baked Alaska, so scratch that.  Sugar cookie tarts, eh.  They were really big in the late 90s, as I recall, at pretty much every Pampered Chef party you were summoned to attend.

Was that the fad where you'd put a scoop of ice cream in a sugar cookie and the meringue it?

I do buy angel food cake for two reasons: 

1. Fuck using that many egg whites when I have nothing planned for the yolks.

2. I've tried making it from scratch, tried mixes both resulted in a finished product not half as light and fluffy as the store bought.

Screw it, my DH loves angel food cake and he gets it every year for his birthday. Life is too short and I'm not going to kill myself making it. Plus the Kroger down the street has for three bucks.

• Love 3

My cable guide's description of this Saturday's new episode:

"Competing Breakfasts" - Ree Drummond tries to win back her husband; she makes the Farmer's Breakfast.

What? Has Ladd been cheating? Eating breakfast at the Pawhuska iHOP?

• Love 5
3 hours ago, J-Man said:

My cable guide's description of this Saturday's new episode:

"Competing Breakfasts" - Ree Drummond tries to win back her husband; she makes the Farmer's Breakfast.

What? Has Ladd been cheating? Eating breakfast at the Pawhuska iHOP?

"Ree Drummond is trying to win back her husband, Ladd -- from his breakfasts in town at the Merc! She's making his favorite slap-up platter, the Farmer's Breakfast, with over easy fried eggs, a slab of honey-glazed ham, fried sausage and bacon plus Crispy Bits Potatoes. The whole meal is made more alluring with glorious Sticky Buns. It's Ree versus her own restaurant, out to win Ladd's breakfast heart!"

• Love 3

I don't want Ree teaching me how to fry an egg.  Alton? Ina? Definitely.  Ree?  Not so much.

And I wonder if the Merc sells floral-patterned defibrillators.  Because 'Murrica's gonna need them if they follow like good little Ree-Bots.

• Love 3

Re Ree's retread show:  (Say that ten times, fast!)  Again...

Re Ree's retread show, I'm surprised she didn't borrow a favorite phrase coined by Emeril and title the show "Kicking It Up A Notch."  Of course, she would insist that she originated the saying. 

That Baked Alaska was a sorry sight, IMHO.  It looked sloppy, and the so-called murr-ang looked more like underbeaten egg whites to me.  Barf!  She should have called it "rustic," the FN's code word for "sloppy."  I wonder what she has against Alaska.  As for the tomato soup, with a few leftovers from her meal kits swimming in it, I see now why Ree always purses her lips so tightly when she tastes her own food.  Merely looking at it gave me the willies.

If Missy doesn't want a show of her own, I suggest that the FN tap Paige as Ree's replacement.  I think Paige could outcook her mother, and she's so much cuter (and more modest) to watch.

ej

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

"Ree Drummond is trying to win back her husband, Ladd -- from his breakfasts in town at the Merc! She's making his favorite slap-up platter, the Farmer's Breakfast, with over easy fried eggs, a slab of honey-glazed ham, fried sausage and bacon plus Crispy Bits Potatoes. The whole meal is made more alluring with glorious Sticky Buns. It's Ree versus her own restaurant, out to win Ladd's breakfast heart!"

Oh FFS.

I thought "town" was a million miles away.  How does Ladd have time to get there, have breakfast, and get back to the Ranch In The Middle Of Nowhere in time for sunup cattle working?

This might be the stupidest show of all time.

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, Aquarius said:

Oh FFS.

I thought "town" was a million miles away.  How does Ladd have time to get there, have breakfast, and get back to the Ranch In The Middle Of Nowhere in time for sunup cattle working?

This might be the stupidest show of all time.

I thought the reason Ree gave for homeschooling her kids was that the town was soooo far away.  

• Love 6
9 hours ago, ariel said:

I thought the reason Ree gave for homeschooling her kids was that the town was soooo far away.  

Guys, I'm sure they've installed helipads at The Merc™ and The Ranch™ and have hired a pilot.  Or better yet, piloted by Ladd himself.  Video footage is coming on a future episode, complete with helicopter waffle iron snacks for the hungry pilot!

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/8/2017 at 0:26 PM, Westiepeach said:

. It's Ree versus her own restaurant

Episode 220:

"Here's what's happening at the ranch! 

My new sister wife, Patty, arrived at the lodge today! (Eighties cult compounds, anyone? Speaking of the eighties, have you seen those new Lisa Franklin coloring books? I love them! We're doing a coloring book of The Ranch next year!) Anyway, you could have knocked me over with a feather.  Not because Marlboro Man ordered himself a second wife down at The Merc -- been there, done that,  it's how Hy ended up living in lock down on the back forty --  but because Sister Wife Patty was holding a tray of The Bread!  

Well, nobody sets out to win my husband's heart -- and grease his chaps -- by fixin' up a batch of The Bread but me! So today is all about keeping my man close to home with old favorites done right, while teaching the newest member of our celestial marriage who's the boss! (Remember that tv show? Oh, I had SUCH a crush on Tony Danza! Sometimes on a Friday night, I put on my limited edition Judith Light wig and make Marlboro Man talk sweet to me in a Brooklyn accent -- "Who's the boss? You are,  little lady Ree, you are!" -- but that's tomorrow's episode!")

Edited by film noire
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, film noire said:

Episode 220:

My new sister wife, Patty, arrived at the lodge today! (Eighties cult compounds, anyone? Speaking of the eighties, have you seen those new Lisa Franklin coloring books? I love them! We're doing a coloring book of The Ranch next year!) Anyway, you could have knocked me over with a feather.  Not because Marlboro Man ordered himself a second wife down at The Merc -- been there, done that,  it's how Hy ended up living in lock down on the back forty --  but because Sister Wife Patty was holding a tray of The Bread!  

Well, nobody sets out to win my husband's heart -- and grease his chaps -- by fixin' up a batch of The Bread but me! So today is all about keeping my man close to home with old favorites done right, while teaching the newest member of our celestial marriage who's the boss! (Remember that tv show? Oh, I had SUCH a crush on Tony Danza! Sometimes on a Friday night, I put on my limited edition Judith Light wig and make Marlboro Man talk sweet to me in a Brooklyn accent -- "Who's the boss? You are,  little lady Ree, you are!" -- but that's tomorrow's episode!")

Dying here ...

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, film noire said:

Episode 220:

|Good lord, WTF is she talking about?   Ree, please put down the hash pipe.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, film noire said:

She didn't really say that, I did ; )

I am easily fooled, because I had a hash pipe 40 years ago.  I still miss it. ;)

• Love 4
(edited)
13 minutes ago, ariel said:

I am easily fooled, because I had a hash pipe 40 years ago.  I still miss it. ;)

Also -- anything is possible with Ree  ; )

10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Hash never worked for me.

Hash worked for me, but I spent the whole time freaking out and vomiting (kinda like watching Ree's show, now that I think about it).

Edited by film noire
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, film noire said:

Also -- anything is possible with Ree  ; )

Hash worked, but I spent the whole time freaking out and vomiting (kinda like watching Ree's show, now that I think about it).

Actually I should have said smoking hash never worked for me. I ate a chunk once and a couple hours later I was feeling no pain. But who has time for that these days?

• Love 2
(edited)
17 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Actually I should have said smoking hash never worked for me. I ate a chunk once and a couple hours later I was feeling no pain. But who has time for that these days?

We need insta-hash, in an edible finger puppet from Ree's collection!

(Episode 320: Ree reveals her new venture working alongside Patty the sister-wife, growing medical marijuana and opium for sale at the Merc: "Here's what's happening at the ranch!.....wait...where was I?")

Edited by film noire
  • Love 2
(edited)

I missed the controversy back in March about Ree's Asian wings:

"In an episode that aired in 2012, Drummond pulls a fresh batch of spicy Asian hot wings out of the oven and they look fantastic. But while everything seems to be going well, it’s only when the group of four grown men and two small children are immediately disgusted by the dish.

“What is that?” one man asks, while another one exclaims, “No!”

Drummond innocently asks them what they mean, while the men keep asking for the “real wings.” Oddly enough, one goes on to say he doesn’t “trust” them. Drummond chuckles and tells them, “I’m just kidding guys, I wouldn’t do that to you!” She then turns back to the oven and pulls out another plate of wings — the traditional, American kind. When she lays out the new tray of Buffalo wings, the men get excited, exclaiming, “Now those are some wings.”

Earlier in the episode, Drummond explains though her husband loves classic Buffalo wings, she wants to pull a prank on him by serving the Asian iteration. “I like to mess with my spouse, I can’t help it,” she says.

It might not look offensive to some but with way the segment is set up, some viewers find it invites ridicule at the expense of Asian-Americans. Many also believe the segment characterizes an unacceptable hint of xenophobia with racism, and they aren’t holding back on social media."

http://popculture.com/2017/03/12/pioneer-woman-racist-rant/

Thoughts? 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 1
(edited)

Episode 320: Ree reveals her new venture working alongside Patty the sister-wife, growing medical marijuana and opium for sale at the Merc:

"Yes, out here on the prairie we grow some down home ganja. Let's look at our crop this year. Now, over here we have Ladd's favorite the ultra manly Meaty Poteety, Grandma is partial to Blink Skunk Skunk and my very own strain Ree-fer Madness."

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 3
(edited)
8 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

"Yes, out here on the prairie we grow some down home ganja. Let's look at our crop this year. Now, over here we have Ladd's favorite the ultra manly Meaty Poteety, Grandma is partial to Blink Skunk Skunk and my very own strain Ree-fer Madness."

"Ree-fer Madness" -- standing O, Peaches Letour!

eta (so anybody who missed the movie knows how great that line is ; )

movei reefer.jpg

Edited by film noire
  • Love 3

Thoughts?

Xenophobic? Hell, yes. They are so narrow in their thinking. It's like there are a tiny, miniscule amount of things that are on the approved list. Meat? Check. Being white? Check. Christian (of a certain stripe only)? Check. Rural? Check. That's about it, everything else is suspect.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, anneofcleves said:

Guys, I'm sure they've installed helipads at The Merc™ and The Ranch™ and have hired a pilot.  Or better yet, piloted by Ladd himself.  Video footage is coming on a future episode, complete with helicopter waffle iron snacks for the hungry pilot!

Yeah.  Cuz nothing says jus' folks like a helipad.

On 6/8/2017 at 9:25 PM, ariel said:

Yes, she talked about how Alex was on the bus for 45 minutes as a kindergartner.  Which cracked me up, growing up as I did in freaking semi-rural New Jersey, and having a bus ride of 50 minutes.  I guess I didn't know it but I lived In The Middle of Nowhere.

• Love 3

Saw the guide description for this episode and had to stop myself from getting up and banging my head on the wall.

I thought the Merc was a haul from their ranch? I know it was all for show, but I did chuckle at the thought of Ladd trying to make a break for it most mornings to get away from Ree. That "arguing" at the end was comical. I know it's a thing at greasy spoon diners, but the thought of four different proteins at breakfast seems really excessive to me, and I'm semi-Paleo. The potatoes looked good, though.

• Love 4
(edited)
13 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

My bus ride was around 45 minutes as well yet my mom made me ride it anyway.  Damn it, should have called CPS.

Thank you.   I guess my mom was abusive, too.   And she even had the audacity to rather aggressively suggest that I spend that extra time on the bus studying, particularly when my GPA wasn't what it could have been.  Clearly, I have some healing to do from my painful past.

As for the food this morning, WOW.  Bacon, sausage, honey ham, and sticky buns?  The sticky buns alone had to be 600 calories each.  Maybe Lad(d) can get away with eating a 1,500 calorie breakfast every morning, but as for the rest of us . . . no.  I've said it before, but I'll say it again: This show is basically an ad for the "Merc" now.  She used to work it casually into her monologues, but it's pretty constant (and utterly shameless) at this point.  And the rich get richer . . . 

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 6

Ugh.  I will have to catch up on this episode later, but will probably fast forward through most of it.  It honestly sounds awful.  I don't love brunches and big breakfasts, so right off the bat it holds about zero culinary interest for me.  Also, I already know how to cook eggs and fry bacon (roll eyes).  

Maybe I'll just use it as an exercise in tallying up the fat and calorie count in a Ree Drummond meal?  I do this every so often with her more horrifying shows just to amuse myself.

• Love 3

I don't know. Today's episode seemed far-fetched even for Ree. I think maybe the show's producer had a hand in story.  I can easily see this same lame "plot" showing up on Barefoot Contessa.

Ina: Hmmm ... it seems that whenever Jeffrey goes for walks on the beach or around town, he's been stopping just a little too often at the bakery for (insert whatever.) I'm going to see if I can compete with that and keep him at home more. Speaking of (pause) ... I wonder what Jeffrey's up to right now?

Whatever the case may be, it was a boring episode and my arteries hardened just watching it.

Me thinks that maybe there are other reasons why Ladd is choosing to eat breakfast in town. His retinas probably need the occasional break from his wife' clown red hair and clashing fugly flowy top. Ree must have had her hair recently recolored because it was off-the-color charts today.

Anyway, Ina and Jeffrey are fun and enjoyable to watch together. Ladd and Ree, not so much.  Ree strikes me as the type who'd sit and talk non-stop with the snarky comments all the while nagging and fishing for compliments under the thin veneer of self-deprecating humor.  All the while, Ladd chews, nods and grunts as he stares out the kitchen window seeking greener pastures.

• Love 8
(edited)
7 hours ago, grisgris said:

All the while, Ladd chews, nods and grunts as he stares out the kitchen window seeking greener pastures.

"Ladd looked out the window, then down at his plate. Sure he loved the kids. And Ree - her too; her too, he loved. But when he looked down at his plate, Ladd wondered if it was enough. This plate full of meat slathered in herb butter, oozing grease onto the cheesy mashed potatoes - their burnt potato edges weeping fat and curling up like dead earwigs --  well, a man sees that, and he has to have himself a think. He has to set to using his brain for more than just adding up cattle sold. And lately, whenever he looks out the lodge window - out over the green, green grass -- he sees himself as he wishes to be, and then becomes; astride a mustang riding east, with Ree's best dress and heels in his saddle bag.  "RuPaul's Drag Race" he hears himself say above the horse hooves pounding, biting his lip nervously. He hopes the queens will accept his presence on their reality show, accept his meager offering -- lip syncing to "Good Eats" -- just two words, but he's put his heart into not sashaying away. "May the best woman win!" he says, the mustang kicking and bucking, his pride at full measure. "May the best woman win!"

Also: Ree's episode including a recipe for sriracha popcorn is TOTAL BULLSHIT. She actually devoted a segment to making POPCORN?

I quote directly: "So for popping the corn, I throw corn into a pan with hot vegetable oil, get the lid on and wait. And then, when the popping starts, I shake it."

OMG WHAT? I NEVER ONCE CONSIDERED THE PUT-CORN-IN-POT-THEN-PUT-LID-ON-POT-THEN-SHAKE-WHEN-IT-BEGINS-TO-POP METHOD!!

Shake it, Ree; shake it like a Polaroid picture (of Ladd as Dandy Grrl, his drag queen self).

Edited by film noire
  • Love 10

OMG WHAT? I NEVER ONCE CONSIDERED THE PUT-CORN-IN-POT-THEN-PUT-LID-ON-POT-THEN-SHAKE-WHEN-IT-BEGINS-TO-POP METHOD!!

WHAT?? OMG this is groundbreaking. Did you alert the press? Why, this could change the very fabric of time and space! This is truly Science's latest triumph. What miracle will she come up with next? I need to sit down.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, anneofcleves said:

Or desperately trying to go through cholesterol detox.

Poor Ladd -- trying to slip away to eat the breakfast he makes and hides from Ree; a mound of non-fat cottage cheese with a canned cling peach on top. 

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

WHAT?? OMG this is groundbreaking. Did you alert the press? Why, this could change the very fabric of time and space! This is truly Science's latest triumph. What miracle will she come up with next? I need to sit down.

LOL

If it hasn't happened already, I'm guessing The Merc will soon be selling "Ree's Best Kernels o'Corn" (with "directions" for Ree's special popcorn makin' ways).

Edited by film noire
  • Love 3

If it hasn't happened already, I'm guessing The Merc will soon be selling "Ree's Best Kernels o'Corn" (with "directions" for Ree's special popcorn makin' ways).

Wouldn't surprise me. There's an 800 number on the side of the Cool Whip container. "Okay, I have the Cool Whip, I have the pie, WHAT DO?"

• Love 2
(edited)

Ladd's breakfast show was worse than anticipated.  Really, really boring food.  The only thing that was comical was that she flipped her sticky buns FROM one of her Pioneer Woman cast iron fry pans INTO another Pioneer Woman cast iron fry pan.  If you want to make his recipe, fans, you have to buy two of her pans as well as be able to easily lift 40 pounds. I'm kind of surprised she doesn't have a deal going with the cable companies for a "buy now" button at the bottom of the screen!

And if you haven't seen the show yet, friends, don your sun glasses -Ree just had her color done.  grisgris did warn us, and I should have listened.

What a stark contrast this was to Ina's new pasta episode that aired today, where I literally want to make and eat every recipe.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 5