Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

I think I'm a few episodes behind but in the episode where she was filming the football game, why on Earth was she yelling while filming? Does she think Ladd and the other coaches want to hear her shouting the whole time they review the tapes? Also what's wrong with getting a tripod and pushing record? Who wants to hold a camera for hours?

The Frappachino knock offs were way to liquidy. Why not actually do something creative and freeze coffee cubes instead of plain old ice? 

I too did not understand using the sparkling grapejuice or champagne and then letting it sit. It will be flat the next day and not have any "sparkle" left. 

I also feel like she cut the oranges the way she did because she doesn't know how to segment an orange. 

And since the release of the film "August:  Osage County," anyone else notice how many times she has repeated and emphasized that she too, lives in and owns most of Osage County.   She never uttered the words "Osage County" prior to the film.  She likes that she has something in common with Hollywood.  Whoever said this is sort of like an anthropological study of a simpleton is dead on, LOL.   

Oh my yes. Osage County this and Osage County that. She must have mentioned it 5 times in one segment a few episodes back. Like she thinks it increases her "chic" value or something. She is so backwards it's captivating. LOL

• Love 2

Good grief Ree! Step away from both that piece of chocolate pie and that chocolate fondue dippin's.  That poor pie was so buried under all of that crap she piled on top of it, that you couldn't even tell what it was. It was almost like some type of weird testament (or in the case of today's show, "confessional") that she didn't care for the pie and was trying to disguise the flavor.

She had everything but the kitchen sink to dip in the chocolate fondue. I'd like to try to spear a blueberry or blackberry and see if I could successfully dip it without either losing it or having it completely fall apart.

I was hoping/waiting for Ladd to show up and see the chocolate cookie Valentine homage. So she gave cookies to boys on the sly in junior high? My word! How scandalous.

• Love 2

That poor pie was so buried under all of that crap she piled on top of it, that you couldn't even tell what it was.

I feel like she's mocking me through the tv when she craps up a perfectly wonderful dessert with all the sauces, whipped cream, candy, etc.  Well, not really.  But the woman has a knack for destroying what is a lovely, simple dessert.  And that chocolate pie looked great .  I'm Team Ladd - he's right about the plain chocolate pie, just as he is correct about cinnamon toast.

Her chocolate cookies looked good, too, and I think she did a nice job of demonstrating ways to decorate them.  I could never, ever do the stenciling with powdered sugar, because mine would end up looking like a 2nd grader did them.  But I would sprinkle them with course sugar, ice them, or even better, dip them in a chocolate ganache.  

I don't love chocolate fondue and would never go to the effort to make it.

DH said he'd eat the pie the way Ladd likes it.  I might add a caramel drizzle but forget all the rest of the stuff she added to the pie.  Cookies looked decent.

I just could not with the fondue.  Maybe I missed a step but I didn't see any sugar added to it and I'm sorry, I just don't like bitter chocolate.

As for chocolate dipped potato chips.  Is that really a thing?  I've never heard of it.

As for chocolate dipped potato chips.  Is that really a thing?  I've never heard of it.

It is totally a thing. All the chocolate shops I've been in the last couple years have had them. I bought some a couple years ago for my sister at Christmas, they tasted kinda like a Kit-Kat to me. My sister liked them. Chocolate covered pretzels are way cheaper and easier to find and you still get the salty chocolate combo. 

• Love 1

I figured she scattered the berries as something to just be popped in the mouth between chocolate bites, not so much to be dipped. 

You're giving her way too much credit. I just don't think she's sophisticated enough to think of serving something to cleanse the palate.

• Love 3

What a boring episode. Ree has really been phoning it in.

Like last week with the chocolate fondue, she had way too many items to choose from for the pancakes. I think the menfolk would have liked the bacon better if it had been served as a side and in whole pieces.

There was enough food at breakfast for 12 people. Not to mention all of those little serving dishes to clean.

That heavy rich short ribs dinner was screaming for some type of salad or vegetable. Interestingly enough, the recipe inspired me to finally try short ribs. (But not Ree's recipe. I found another one that sounds better.)

Girlfriend needs to lay off the black eyeliner.

Edited by grisgris

Are cheese grits cowboy approved?

They must be.  Otherwise there would have been a big, elaborate story about how Ladd and the boys are away and how she's planning this estrogen-stimulating girl party full of foods only people without Y chromosomes could enjoy.  You know, stuff served in fancy foil packets, made with wine.

• Love 3

Amen to that sister!

It's amazing the entire family's performance/comfort in front of the camera has improved by leaps and bounds over the years ... except Ree. I was actually more interested in listening to Ladd explain how they ship cattle. He was articulate, looked at the camera and even joked around.

I really miss that littlest kid. Couldn't he even manage a "this is the bestest pancakes ever?" :(  It seems like Paige has been relegated to that role. Grooming her for when Alex goes off to college, I'm sure.

• Love 1

Oh look, a "new" episode with with more chicken & dumplings, quesadillas and creamy tomato sauce for pasta that is decadent and even transcendent. 

I guess as long as the fangirls love it she'll keep recycling her recipes.

I was just thinking that yesterday. He seems the most comfortable and is convincing without trying. Much more so than the "this is great mom"!  or "this is REALLY good"!

Oh for the love of God, she really irritates me sometimes.  Chicken enchiladas straight from the back of the old El Paso can and stuffed shells straight from the Ragu jar.  This is stuff that most 9th grade home economics classes could manage, and the stupid smirk on her face as she's pouring the jarred spaghetti sauce straight into her pan of stuffed shells tells me she knows it.  Why bother to stuff your own shells, Ree?  Just buy a bag of them frozen.  I guess she's saving that for her next episode of boring, redundant food manufacturer recipes.

I really could have cried when she used the cans of enchilada sauce.  It's fine for a quick cook night, but on a day when you've got the time (like she's pretending to have on this show) just do the real thing.  The sauce is what makes them amazing.

Episodes like this make me hate her and Food Network.  I'd rather watch them roll hay.  That I don't know how to do.  

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 6

Wait, hasn't Ree made all of those dishes before? I KNOW I've seen the enchiladas and smoothie pops before. B-O-R-I-N-G. I know that we've all chuckled at Ina hauling out what turns out to be more or less the same recipe, but today's show was ridiculous!

I swear with every single recipe, Ree starts out with, "I'm just addin' a buncha..." Drives me nuts.

• Love 2

Now, now grisgris. Doncha know that's just how us cowgirls talk down here on the ranch?

Several years ago when we had an active local Patch on-line newspaper, there was a woman who posted "folksy" recipes with a cutesy name for her column. They all seemed so pedestrian, and with a little googling I found out she was lifting them word for word from manufacturers' websites and pretending they were her wonderful creations. I started thinking of her as a Ree Drummond wanna be.

I swear with every single recipe, Ree starts out with, "I'm just addin' a buncha..." Drives me nuts.

Yes, and often it comes with a smirk.  Like, "I will make millions off of pouring this jar of Ragu over my stuffed shells."  Is there a silent scream emoticon on this site?

• Love 4

Good grief, this woman bugs the crap out of me. I can't even stand hate-watch her most of the time. Yesterday, she condescended to her viewers about the correct way to make cinnamon toast. Today, she put a sandwich in a pan to make grilled cheese and helpfully explained that you should butter the top piece of bread after you put the sandwich in the pan. She said she couldn't think of any other way to do it. This passes for a cooking show. 

• Love 2

Good grief, this woman bugs the crap out of me. I can't even stand hate-watch her most of the time. Yesterday, she condescended to her viewers about the correct way to make cinnamon toast. Today, she put a sandwich in a pan to make grilled cheese and helpfully explained that you should butter the top piece of bread after you put the sandwich in the pan. She said she couldn't think of any other way to do it. This passes for a cooking show. 

Thanks, jcbrown, for the LOL.  I made it through 5 minutes of one episode before I bailed. I've been living vicariously through everyone else's posts to keep up with what's agoin on with them cowgirls and cowboys. Keep up the good work!

Edited by chessiegal

LOL  With the good comics writing posts here, who needs to watch the show?  Well, I could rue the day that I ever mention ol' Ree saying "I jist LOVE" everything because now, every time she says it, it hits me right between the eyes.  Ree wins again. 

I think Ladd must have treated Ree to a thrill in bed because everything seems to be with Ladd in mind.  First, it was "Ladd's favorite sandwich" and then "Ladd's favorite dessert."  The other day, I thought I'd croak when Ree's big adventure for the day was making Vodka Pasta, which Ladd doesn't like, then calling him inside to taste it.  (Oh, brother!)  When Ladd said it was good, ol' Ree acted like the weight of the world had been removed from her shoulders.  I thought she'd give her blouse a snap and dance a jig right on the spot.

I wanted to know Ree's age, so I went to her blog.  Big mistake.  Did everyone see and read about her trip with Alex to Texas A&M?  Gag me with a spoon!  Ol' Ree had flashbacks to her own college experiences.  Then, she has to get clear out in their basketball court to take pictures of the crowd!  I guess it isn't enough that people recognize her.  She has to lug her camera around so people will point and exclaim, "Hey!  There's Ree Drummond!  What's SHE doing here, and why's she taking pictures of us?!"  God help poor Alex when she goes off to college.  I'll bet she'd like to be anonymous, but how can she be if Mom's hanging around like she promises to be?  I think, though, that Ree "jist LOVED" her visit!

Edited by Lura
  • Love 2

Funny. I pick up zero heat/chemistry between Ree and Ladd. I just can not picture the two of them "together," and I'll bet that Ladd conveniently falls asleep early every night. He's probably so exhausted from all of that ranch work, plus having to get up at the crack of dawn every day. I always picture him seething and thinking that Ree needs to get her fat ass out there and help out with the chores. Missy (or whatever her name is -- the SIL) does.

I can't remember if she designated those frozen pizza things as his and hers. I think it would be great fun to go in and switch the bags. Just watch those cowpokes faces when they take a big ol' bite outta fun-GIE!!!

• Love 1

You guys, this is a serious question.  No snark, not being a smartass about it. Why do you watch this show? I feel like you hate it,  you can't stand her and hate her recipes but every single week you watch and then come here to complain about what you've just watched. She doesn't bother as much as she does a lot of people here, her inability to say potato and tomato bug but I find her inoffensive. I'm not asking in a if you hate it don't watch it way I'm honestly asking why you are compelled to watch? Is it hate-watching? Snark value?

• Love 4

Thanks to my Beloved TiVo, I can watch shows like this and just blitz through the annoying parts.  Unfortunately the thing I am most annoyed by here is RD's constant use of the word "just" dozens of times in a single speech;  can't get around that.  I admit, it's a puzzle because I actually enjoy PW cookbooks and her writing voice but watching and hearing her is a much, much less comfortable experience.  If I could get Nigella Lawson's shows instead, I'd dump Ree in a hot minute.  Meanwhile, I tune in every week hoping this time, it will worthwhile.  

But it never is.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 1

You guys, this is a serious question.  No snark, not being a smartass about it. Why do you watch this show? I feel like you hate it,  you can't stand her and hate her recipes but every single week you watch and then come here to complain about what you've just watched. She doesn't bother as much as she does a lot of people here, her inability to say potato and tomato bug but I find her inoffensive. I'm not asking in a if you hate it don't watch it way I'm honestly asking why you are compelled to watch? Is it hate-watching? Snark value?

Boredom, mostly.  I will watch it OnDemand if there's nothing else on.  I will watch almost anyone in a kitchen.  It may be a sickness.

• Love 3

I think you make a valid point, mishy.  I hope that I can, too.

I began watching this show recently because there is such a lack of good cooking shows, and I had never seen this one.  It's something new for me, even though I've been disappointed.

As for the snark, there are several shows I like very much and have nothing snarky to say about them.  My posts are filled with things I've enjoyed while watching.  This show, however, is, IMHO, a very poor one -- at least, Ree is.  She belongs behind a computer screen, not a camera.  This fact compels me sometimes to speak out against the show 1) to warn others that it's not the best, 2) in case anyone from the FN happens to come on and read it, and 3) simply because occasionally snarking feels good.  When Ree does something that I enjoy, or one of the kids does, I write a compliment, but unfortunately, those times seem to be few and far between.  Moreover, misery loves company.  I come here to see what others have to say and to find comfort in the fact that others feel the same way.  Watching Ree is often like watching a train wreck.  It's awful to see, but you can't help watching it over again.  It's fascinating to me that this show ever made it onto the airwaves.  Finally, there's nothing I enjoy more than a good laugh, and I often find that laugh on this show.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 5

I watch for a couple of reasons. Number 1, I have my TIVO set up to record on Saturday mornings for a 4 hour block or so. I watch as I drink my coffee and wait for the rest of the family to wake up. Number 2, I was a regular reader of her blog for a few years, and I guess I keep hoping to see the personality and recipes that were there. So far, no such luck.

But at least Aunt Sandy was so bad her shows were comedy. They could have been skits on SNL. Ree is just cringeworthy bad.

It's no mystery to me why she got a show and is still on. I've read she paid a PR firm to lobby FN for a show (she sure has plenty of money to do that), and she had/has a huge built in blog fan base, so there was very little risk for FN.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 5

Since Sandra Lee is no longer in the cooking show biz, PW is her successor for snarking.

I think you will find that most of the folks who post here (many of whom moved over from Television Without Pity) actually care about good cooking and would like the Food Network and Cooking Channel to produce worthwhile shows that are interesting and educational.

While there is a place for shows for beginning cooks (Ray Ray and Kelsey do that), those of us who have a little more experience in the kitchen would like to see more advanced shows. PW barely cooks and her recipes for however many seasons are just things from the back of the product box or stuff we would throw together when facing a fridge filled with odds and ends. And she just keeps repeating the same tired things.

If she wants a laudable TV show, she needs to get some new ideas. Once you put yourself out on national media then you are fair game for anyone's reaction.

• Love 8

Since Sandra Lee is no longer in the cooking show biz, PW is her successor for snarking.

I think you will find that most of the folks who post here (many of whom moved over from Television Without Pity) actually care about good cooking and would like the Food Network and Cooking Channel to produce worthwhile shows that are interesting and educational.

While there is a place for shows for beginning cooks (Ray Ray and Kelsey do that), those of us who have a little more experience in the kitchen would like to see more advanced shows. PW barely cooks and her recipes for however many seasons are just things from the back of the product box or stuff we would throw together when facing a fridge filled with odds and ends. And she just keeps repeating the same tired things.

If she wants a laudable TV show, she needs to get some new ideas. Once you put yourself out on national media then you are fair game for anyone's reaction.

Exactly, mousie. I'm going to get on my soapbox and say once again - support your local PBS stations, because otherwise we will not get educational cooking shows. FN and CC and the variation of shows showing up on FYI network are for profit appealing to the lowest denominator. They used to have shows that were educational (Cooking Live with Sara Moulton being an example that got canned), but now they are few and far between.

I love my weekends with Sara Moulton, Jacques Pepin, Ming Tsai, John Besh,  Joann Weir, Martha Stewart, and other professionals with real culinary credentials. And I appreciate the PBS cable stations that air them during the week. I always learn something, which is what I want from a cooking show.

• Love 6

I'll second all of the above. What I don't like about Ree is that she possesses this kind of smirky "FU" attitude. It's kind of like "I bought and paid my way onto this show, so I'll do what I damn please" (especially when she adds copious quantities of heavy cream, butter, cheese, or jarred ingredients etc. to a recipe.) Also, she seems borderline contemptuous towards any semblance of a balanced meal, e.g. the complete lack of vegetables and salads. This extends towards her women = vegetables and men = meat and potatoes analogies.

• Love 4

Hi Chessiegal, I agree and I do watch PBS and we are fortunate in the SF Bay Area to have at least five different stations that my cable carrier offers. So there is cooking content on everyday. We also are lucky to get Create (offshoot of PBS) which carries cooking shows throughout the day mixed in with the craft and home improvement type shows. Apparently Create is not shown in every market. I find I am watching more PBS then FN or CC lately.

The was an article in the SF paper recently about Jacques Pepin filming his last cooking series here at KQED. Sad that the era is coming to an end but he deserves a nice retirement after all. Looks like his granddaughter will be on some of the shows.

HyeChaps, maybe the channel that does Duck Dynasty could give Ladd a show. Then he, his brother and cowboy Josh could make condescending comments about the womenfolk.

Hi Gris Gris, the whole nutrition thing bugs me because we have such problems in the US with childhood obesity and diet related diseases in adults, EVERYONE on these networks could give a little mention about making better choices and creating healthy menu plans. Imagine a young person or a young parent learning to cook from PW, they wouldn't be doing themselves any favors healthwise and would probably break the budget.

• Love 4

Thanks guys for your thoughtful answers. I was on TWoP for 13 years, snarking is not new to me. I watched Sandra Lee in her various incarnations for many years until it became to much even for snark value and I wondered because Ree wasn't as offensive to me. That's why I asked.

Exactly, mousie. I'm going to get on my soapbox and say once again - support your local PBS stations, because otherwise we will not get educational cooking shows.

I watch PBS every Saturday morning or record to watch later. Aquarius mentioned she would watch almost anyone in the kitchen and I do too. On PBS there is a show called New Scandinavian Cooking and the current chef sometimes cooks outside on moss covered rocks. It's crazy to me but I enjoy watching it even though I'm never making or eating anything she's made. I've read everyone's complaints about Ree being this or that and I honestly wondered why people were watching.

Anyway, ladies, thanks for answering my questions.

• Love 2

I watch Pioneer Woman because I like Ree and I like the food that she prepares.  I love seeing her family and the scenes of the ranch.  Ree comes across as fun and down to earth.   She prepares good, normal food, not stuff with bizarre ingredients that I could never find in my local stores.

• Love 2

I have to admit, I like her show. I've made several of her recipes and they always go over well. We'd gotten in a bit of a food rut, and she motivated me to get us out of it. I find her approachable. I'm a canner and a baker, not a chef, and anything that motivates me to try new things is OK by me.

• Love 4

Admittedly, I like her too. I cook at least 6 days a week,  but it's not really my favorite thing to do, so using some of her simple recipes works well enough for my simple-palate family. There are clearly better shows to watch if you want to REALLY chef it out, and none of them are own the Food Network, IMO. I agree you have to go to PBS for that. I also like the shots of the countryside and what they've done to the Building. I think Ree is enjoyable if you don't take her or her whole "accidental country girl" schpiel too seriously. She's honestly a classic study of social media branding…you only put forth the image you want to sell to the world. I'm sure she has her problems like the rest of us, but who wants to hear about that? Most people only want to put forward the best parts of their life online, and she just happened to be able to sell that image successfully. That's why I've never understood the blind hatred toward her. I get the snark, but there are a few bloggers, including one that shall remain nameless (mostly because I'm afraid of her, LOL) who are downright vicious and attack EVERYTHING about her. Part of the reason is because I think she is epitome of a successful career blogger, and what other people who are trying to make a living from their blog strive for. It's kind of insane. Anyway, she's currently background sound for me while I clean the house, so I felt compelled to share, and to take a break from dusting, LOL.

• Love 4

I've read some of those snark blogs (and I think I know who you are referring to, Angelsmom.) Personally, she's ok by me, but she can rub me the wrong way too.

How her family isn't dropping dead from cholesterol is beyond me... holy buttah batman!

...That's why I've never understood the blind hatred toward her. I get the snark, but there are a few bloggers, including one that shall remain nameless (mostly because I'm afraid of her, LOL) who are downright vicious and attack EVERYTHING about her. Part of the reason is because I think she is epitome of a successful career blogger, and what other people who are trying to make a living from their blog strive for. It's kind of insane...

I don't really like her (from a cooking perspective), but I totally agree with not understanding the blogs dedicated to hating on her, mocking her family, etc.

It probably seems hypocritical, because I'm so critical of her cooking, but I don't think she's a bad person and think she's an exceptionally successful blogger who has a nice family and lives a pretty unusual and, by some standards, spectacular lifestyle.  I don't fault her that and think the hate blogs are really over the edge.

I do fault FN for continuing to load its shows with a bunch of home cooks.  Oops, there I go - broken record.

• Love 2

That's why I've never understood the blind hatred toward her. I get the snark, but there are a few bloggers, including one that shall remain nameless (mostly because I'm afraid of her, LOL) who are downright vicious and attack EVERYTHING

The blog that you have alluded to has been a pay to be a member site for a year. Are you a paid member? I question that because your description of that blog isn’t accurate.

Edited by ariel

The episode I recorded and watched today was, by far, the best of any episode I've seen. It was called "Cowboy Mike" and focused on a visit by Ree's brother Mike, who has disabilities. He is shorter than all but her youngest child, and he appears to have an intellectual developmental disorder.  He loves helping Ladd do things out on the range, and Ladd is very good to him. The kids love Uncle Mike and paid lots of attention to him, not out of pity but because they genuinely love him.  

Edited by Lisin
Updated disability terminology
  • Love 3

I enjoyed her show about simple desserts, well the first two items:  pudding and raspberry fool.  I like that she actually demonstrated how easy it is to make a real pudding and how to vary it. Ree, if you're looking for tips, try crumbled Amaretto cookies - way better than crumbled ladyfingers. 

Raspberry fool is great, too, if you're pressed for time.  Perfectly simple.

The dessert panini grossed me out, frankly, with the addition of the marshmallow fluff and half pound of butter slathered on each sandwich.  At least half the show was good.

• Love 1

I snickered when it was obvious that all of the marshmallow creme oozed out of the paninis while they were cooking. Ree-diculous was very carefully cutting the final results just so you couldn't really see the inside. That, along with clever edits.

• Love 1

She had the step by step for making butterscotch pudding on her blog a couple of weeks ago. I guess I never thought about how butterscotch pudding was made, I buy the cups, but I was surprised by the process. It looked so good and I really hope it pops up in a show. The base was different then the white chocolate and chocolate she made so it really wouldn't have worked for this past episode though. 

• Love 1

She did discuss butterscotch pudding as one of the variations, Fostersmom.  Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your post and that she skipped some of the steps that were shown on her blog?  I think it was the butterscotch pudding that made the show so endearing to me.  One of my grandmothers was widely known for her butterscotch pie, and it always started with that thick, scratch-made pudding.  I don't think I appreciated it as much as I should have when I was a kid - I'd kill for a piece now.