Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Prey

Early June 1967. A missing persons case -­‐ that of Dutch au pair INGRID HJORT - proves far from routine, pulling ENDEAVOUR into the dueling worlds of Oxford scientific academia, the city's vast parks, Night School and the untamed wilderness of the Oxfordshire countryside.

I'll get this out of the way: the CGI used for the tiger after it was shot was ridiculously awful. It looked flatter than road kill. I did share Bright's conflicted emotions over shooting the it because tigers are my favorite wild animal, so I was slightly sad over it. The one they used was absolutely gorgeous.

Other than that, I enjoyed the episode. Bright seems to be taking quite the shine to WPC Trewlove (that name, really?). He was a bit flustered in the previous episode when meeting her and I'm not sure he would have shared that story with everyone out in the open like that if she hadn't asked, maybe with Thursday behind closed doors.

Fred and Sam were just adorable together. I loved that Sam had a crack at making the daily sandwich.

Thursday losing his shit over the man who attacked the girl in the coma was terrifying. He's always had that fight in him, but it's usually been off screen, but he's been feeling restless and reckless for a while, so I guess he was due.

There was a bit of foreshadowing to this episode in "Ride" at the fair. When Morse and his friends were at the shooting gallery, he won a stuffed tiger and the tennis player said "oh look, a man eater."

• Love 2

I didn't quite understand the reasoning behind keeping the tiger in such shoddy conditions(?). And, did Morse say that the tiger was not being fed?

Was that sister supposed to be actually insane or struck with love/revenge 'madness' ?

Thankfully, finally, Morse is taking that Detective Sergeant's exam! Gosh! Is THIS a prelude to sorrow?!

Edited by BookElitist

So this was an interesting throwback to CreveCoeur and the Mortmaigne family. Isn't that the estate where Hathaway grew up, and there was an episode of Lewis where they have to go there to investigate a murder, and Hathaway falls for Scarlett Mortmaigne (but she ends up being involved in the crime). I think that at one point, in this episode, they did mention something about a Hathaway who looks after the grounds??  I am enjoying these little nods to those of us who are fans of both the Morse and Lewis series. 

• Love 5

So this was an interesting throwback to CreveCoeur and the Mortmaigne family. Isn't that the estate where Hathaway grew up, and there was an episode of Lewis where they have to go there to investigate a murder, and Hathaway falls for Scarlett Mortmaigne (but she ends up being involved in the crime). I think that at one point, in this episode, they did mention something about a Hathaway who looks after the grounds??  I am enjoying these little nods to those of us who are fans of both the Morse and Lewis series. 

That was James' father. I thought that was a great bit of casting because Rob Callender looks like he could definitely be related to Laurence Fox.

I caught another bit of foreshadowing to this episode on my umpteenth re-watch of Ride. At the very end when

Lord and Lady Belborough go to Kenya because Guy Mortmaigne's family had a place out there

• Love 2

I don't see grounds to send the lovesick tiger mauled woman off to jail.  She wasn't keeping the tiger. She didn't release it. All she did was put musk on a kerchief that she thought would be worn by someone who would be standing near the tiger in a cage. It would frighten him, but not kill him. I'm not sure how she's responsible for anyone's death.

"It's in the trees!" "It's coming!" (lines spoken at the first tiger hunt) are the spoken lines which immediately precede my favorite Kate Bush song. "Hounds of Love." Which, not coincidentally, was the Red Letter phrase this week.

Yeah, Crevecoeur is the estate (and Mortmaignes the family) that figure in the Lewis episode "the Dead of Winter". Where James revealed his dad had been steward there. So Philip is James's dad! 

• Love 3
(edited)

Is every episode going to have some kind of homage to a movie? Because the death of the estate agent was right out of Jurassic Park, right down to the "smart kitty". (Well in Jurassic Park it was "clever girl" but close enough.

Edited by AuntieL
  • Love 1

Just watched on PBS but read this thread. While I don't know the specific laws or terms in England, I'm thinking she could be jailed for theft of the musk (which might not keep her locked up long) and likely attempted assault or reckless endangerment since she set it up for him to at least be injured. Admittedly, I am not an expert, but I don't think it's quite so harmless for the police to let it go. 

(edited)

Anyone else get teary when the tiger was shot?  Just me ?  Also I thought Morse's self sacrifice moment was very well done in terms of tension and release.  And yeah, I liked the tie back to Hathaway as Steward.

I'm not loving the WPC character -- she's coming across too modern and anachronistic to the era.  If you've seen WPC 56, that's more realistic in how women police were treated within the force.

And are they broadcasting loud enough that we're going to lose Thursday (either to retirement or death) ?  Also him beating up the bad guy is in keeping with his methods that we've seen a few times already -- he just didn't bother to hide it this time...

I loved the additional layers added to Bright's character -- dark horse but it shows he's earned his rank even if we haven't particularly liked his treatment of Morse (prior to Blenheim Vale anyway).  

Edited by DHDancer
  • Love 5

"This was NOT a boat accident" spoken ala Richard Dreyfuss/Jaws, (and very credibly too!) had me giggling.  Absolutely loved the tie in to Hathaway and the well done Jurassic Park reference....Now I have to go back to first two seasons and pick up on what I missed there.

• Love 2

Me, too, Magdalene. Engrossed, as well. For me, this was the most entertaining episode of the 3 I've seen this season. Loved the overhead shot in the maze of Tiger, Tiger (gosh, it was a gorgeous thing but made so malevolent in those full face shots - "Lock me away in a tiny cage, will you?? My turn now") on one side and Endeavour on the other. I liked the peeling away of layers of the characters, too. Bright dignified and heroic and valiant. Thursday ill and frustrated and missing Mrs. Thursday. (And the small, tender fingertip kiss he gave the  comatose victim...nice touch) Morse somewhat petulant as he adjusts to Strange's presence but incredibly brave, shielding Mother and baby. I'll rewatch this episode to see the connections between the two missing similarly blonde women. Was the same date (& route) of their disappearances just coincidence, then? 

I "had" to get something from another room when the baby was in the yard and Mom was hanging clothes...I know the goat became tiger snack, but did the big cat get that feisty little dog, too?

Thanks to all for the Hathaway connection.

• Love 5

I love what they have done with their chief character.  He has turned out to be completely against "type".  Because of the actor's looks and how the chief came across in the early going of the series I had made certain assumptions about him, and they have all been proven completely wrong.  He is a heroic man and supportive of his men. He even was sorry that he had to kill the animal.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, DHDancer said:

Anyone else get teary when the tiger was shot?  Just me ?  Also I thought Morse's self sacrifice moment was very well done in terms of tension and release.  And yeah, I liked the tie back to Hathaway as Steward.

<snip>

And are they broadcasting loud enough that we're going to lose Thursday (either to retirement or death) ?  Also him beating up the bad guy is in keeping with his methods that we've seen a few times already -- he just didn't bother to hide it this time...

I loved the additional layers added to Bright's character -- dark horse but it shows he's earned his rank even if we haven't particularly liked his treatment of Morse (prior to Blenheim Vale anyway).  

I also started to cry at that moment-because of the beautiful tiger, the well built-up tension, and the heroism of Bright.  The direction of this episode was fantastic!

I'm so glad that they made Bright be the one who killed the tiger, though I was sure his comment to Trewlove was a "final monologue" and he was going to die in the process.  I hate it when supervisors are clueless buttkissers, as they are so often portrayed.  I was also pleased when Morse and Thursday defended Bright to the caretaker, when the latter mocked him. Makes me think the group will function more as a team than they ever have before.

I was also worried when Thursday arrived with the flaming torch that he might die in the process.

Morse's heroism was well done too.  And the way he vomited after was perfect, because is showed how really afraid he was when he did it..

Georgina and Julia were both well acted, IMO.  They both played the "haunted look" very believably.

Only issue I saw was the "kinda" plot hole of the two girls being attacked on the same day. What was the point of that?

• Love 3
Just now, Diane M said:

My favorite episode this season.  Who was Thursday visiting in the hospital?

Sandra, the girl who was attacked in 1963 and was left in a coma

• Love 1

Such a magnificent animal brought down by humans by them having put him out of his natural habitat - I too got teary eyed because killings of these gorgeous creatures are happening for sport.  Ugh.  I too liked Bright's reaction to it - he understood how tragic the entire situation was - I am glad they have changed up Bright the way they have - 

So, what's wrong with Thursday?  I never want to see this series without him (RA) in it.  No one else engages me as much as he does.

• Love 3

I am still liking the show but this season seems a bit more "glamorous" to me. I don't mean that in a good way. I don't know. I am not enjoying this season as much as the previous two. The acting is still really good, so that is not it.

I am glad that we get to see more of Bright's personality though.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, hummingbird said:

@DHDancer  agree on your assessment of the female police officer but unfortunately they have to "right the wrongs of the past" KWIM?

@attica  thanks for the info on the ep name, def explains why Hathaway got his education I couldn't remember the episode at all and was prepared to spend the day llloo

No Tigers that I can see in Gungadin but maybe. Looks like Jurassic Park and Raiders of lost ark and Kate Bush medley.

(edited)
4 hours ago, Lee4U said:

So, what's wrong with Thursday?  I never want to see this series without him (RA) in it.  No one else engages me as much as he does.

Thursday was shot in last season's cliffhanger (by the mad police chief Deane) and had a life/death recovery that we had to wait till this season to find out if he made it.  He obviously survived but not unscathed.

Edited by DHDancer
(edited)

I'm a little confused--when Bright mentioned "Pankot" as where he was stationed in India, was that a reference to The Jewel in the Crown?  "Pankot" was the name of the [fictional] hill station where Sarah and Susan lived with their family, was it not?

Was sad about the whole situation with the tiger, too:  his forced captivity, his misery, the way he was finally killed.  Bright's regret at having to destroy such a magnificent animal put me quite into charity with Bright.

I'd rather see Thursday having to retire due to the close proximity of the bullet to his heart and make occasional appearances--maybe having Morse consulting informally with him on cases--instead of having him die if the bullet moves.  His rage in the interrogation room was quite frightening and probably attributable to his feeling of helplessness due to his condition.

Loved the way the regular medical examiner was ultimately proven correct at the end.  Would have liked to have seen a confrontation between him and his substitute after the case was wrapped up.

It seems as if this season is more action-oriented rather than psychological-procedural/thrilller.

[Could someone please merge the two separate threads for this episode?]

Edited by officetemp
  • Love 2

Yes, why do we have two separate threads? It's very confusing.

24 minutes ago, officetemp said:

'm a little confused--when Bright mentioned "Pankot" as where he was stationed in India, was that a reference to The Jewel in the Crown?  "Pankot" was the name of the [fictional] hill station where Sarah and Susan lived with their family, was it not?

I think it was - how clever of you to notice.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, nara said:

I was also pleased when Morse and Thursday defended Bright to the caretaker, when the latter mocked him. Makes me think the group will function more as a team than they ever have before.

Morse's heroism was well done too.  And the way he vomited after was perfect, because is showed how really afraid he was when he did it..

When Bright shot the tiger, I actually thought it was sad that the caretaker wasn't around to see it anymore.

Shaun Evans really acted 'scared sh!tless' brilliantly. I really hate all those TV characters who don't seem to be effected by anything that is thrown their way.

Bright's 'of course' when he lamented the tiger's demise and Thursday commented it was either the tiger or Morse wasn't very convincing, was it?

• Love 3

Because the death of the estate agent was right out of Jurassic Park, right down to the "smart kitty".

Plus, the girl's run to the pond was totally a homage to Jaws.

Papa Hathaway!   Heh, only Roger Allam could frighten off a tiger with just fire.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, magdalene said:

. . .  I think it was. . ..

Thanks.  I thought I recognized the place name.

12 hours ago, DHDancer said:

I've notified the moderator of the two thread problem. 

Thanks so much.

5 hours ago, Sonja said:

. . .

Shaun Evans really acted 'scared sh!tless' brilliantly. I really hate all those TV characters who don't seem to be effected by anything that is thrown their way.

. . .

Totally disrespectful of us, but my husband and I were making "Excuse me while I go change my drawers" jokes after that scene.

Okay, I enjoy watching this show because of the great characters and acting and the period details (I love the George Gently series for its Britain-in-the-1960s depiction as well) and - YMMV- at the end of this ep, I was like, a secret captive tiger? Really?!? 

Of course, it won't keep me from tuning in next week....

'm so glad that they made Bright be the one who killed the tiger, though I was sure his comment to Trewlove was a "final monologue" and he was going to die in the process.  I hate it when supervisors are clueless buttkissers, as they are so often portrayed.  I was also pleased when Morse and Thursday defended Bright to the caretaker, when the latter mocked him. Makes me think the group will function more as a team than they ever have before.

My favorite moment of the episode. And expertly done, especially capturing the class snobbery by association that servants and employees of the aristocratic set adopt towards others, via their proximity to the upper classes.

• Love 2

I didn't know Endeavour was on a dating show!  :)

That's more Inspector Morse given his relationships with the ladies on that series.

I was like, a secret captive tiger? Really?!? 

Just another thing to be worried about visiting Oxford.  You will be murdered...and now it could be by tiger.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Did anyone at the scene acknowledge Endeavor's action in standing in front of the mother and baby to take the tiger attack himself?  Because that was awesome (and beautifully played).

I know it is their job to protect the public, but I wonder how many police persons would have been able to do that.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

That's more Inspector Morse given his relationships with the ladies on that series.

Just another thing to be worried about visiting Oxford.  You will be murdered...and now it could be by tiger.

In a maze!

• Love 3
15 hours ago, officetemp said:

Thanks.  I thought I recognized the place name.

Pankot was also a location in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."  This seemed to have more Indiana Jones references than "Jewel in the Crown". 

Did the caretaker deliberately mis-load the other rifle so he (caretaker) would be the one to get the shot?  I thought it was odd when we saw the bullets going into the chamber, and thought it was for a reason we saw that.

I was not sure who would be killed in the maze, but knew someone would be -- and thought it might be someone shooting a person instead of the tiger.  I also was wondering what they meant by the comment that the tiger was not fed.  I'm also surprised that aside from the arm, they did not find other remnants of the victims during those six days.  And what was the point of the obnoxious and ignorant medical examiner?  And what happened to the children of the researcher? 

• Love 1

Bright burned the tiger. The whole thing was preposterous. The tiger wasn't fed, and lived all this time by just...foraging, in the English countryside, with no one noticing? It looked pretty well fed to me. Not sure a tiger, once having killed the caretaker, would keep looking for other people to kill. Wasn't he just killing for food?

Blinked and missed whether the caretaker misloaded the shotgun. And how they all ended up in that maze. Ditto question above re medical examiner. Another scene cut?

• Love 1
(edited)
20 minutes ago, fauntleroy said:

Bright burned the tiger. The whole thing was preposterous. The tiger wasn't fed, and lived all this time by just...foraging, in the English countryside, with no one noticing? It looked pretty well fed to me. Not sure a tiger, once having killed the caretaker, would keep looking for other people to kill. Wasn't he just killing for food?

Blinked and missed whether the caretaker misloaded the shotgun. And how they all ended up in that maze. Ditto question above re medical examiner. Another scene cut?

Now you are reminding me of poet William Blake!  "Tiger, tiger, burning bright"

They showed a close-up of the bullets and gun-loading, but I don't know enough about rifles to understand if there was something to see.  And yes, I think the ridiculous medical examiner must have had a scene dropped -- no reason at all for him to be in the episode.

Did anyone else notice that the molester/man walked past the au pair when she was taking the children to school?  He looked -- grim, and had quite a close-up that is meaningful in retrospect.

There is an article in the Media thread that talks about the "Jaws" references in this episode - but has spoilers for the last episode, so beware. 

I don't know why they were being so super quiet in the maze -- cats hunt by scent, and what they smell is 100 times louder than any sound.  I was surprised Morse did not hold the baby carriage in front of him as a temporary shield, just to make things a little more difficult than presenting his torso for attack. 

Edited by jjj

The tiger had been caged for all those years, in a too-small cage, and tended by the old keeper because the Earl was unable to kill it after it mauled his daughter (discovery of which is what snapped her mind).  There were lots of claw marks on the walls.  My issue was that tiger looked too healthy for all that captivity.  Still, the reactions of everyone in the maze was just fantastic, well acted all around.

• Love 3

Bright's 'of course' when he lamented the tiger's demise and Thursday commented it was either the tiger or Morse wasn't very convincing, was it?

After the tension of that scene, his lament at killing such a magnificent creature, and Friday's reminder of the necessity of saving Endeavour's life, had me laughing out loud.  Especially with Endeavour in the background not at all magnificently retching and shaking.

The tiger wasn't fed, and lived all this time by just...foraging, in the English countryside, with no one noticing? It looked pretty well fed to me. Not sure a tiger, once having killed the caretaker, would keep looking for other people to kill. Wasn't he just killing for food?

Wasn't the other caretaker, the one fired after the attack when the daughter was a girl, keeping the tiger caged and fed?  He couldn't bear to kill it when ordered to. I'm sure I saw hunks of meat and whatnot.  Though still, once we finally saw the tiger I thought to myself "shouldn't it look much more bedraggled and poorly cared for?"

I thought this was a great, albeit unusual, episode.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, beadgirl said:

Wasn't the other caretaker, the one fired after the attack when the daughter was a girl, keeping the tiger caged and fed?  He couldn't bear to kill it when ordered to. I'm sure I saw hunks of meat and whatnot.  Though still, once we finally saw the tiger I thought to myself "shouldn't it look much more bedraggled and poorly cared for?"

Yes, the other caretaker was taking care of the tiger (not very well, from the looks of that small cage), so I did not understand whoever said the tiger had been not fed -- and they were not just talking about the past few days.  (The episode took place over around five days.)

I liked the line where Endeavour said "either there is a tiger loose, or someone wants us to *think* there is a tiger on the loose."  My money was completely on the latter -- I could not fathom a tiger living in the countryside and not being noticed.  But they explained it away! 

You would think that if the lord of the Manor (now in Pankot with Indiana Jones?) cared so much about the tiger that he paid someone to look after it, he would also pay for a proper enclosure  ("proper" meaning enough space for the tiger to stalk around and even hunt for food).  What we saw would be like making a cat live in a cat carrier, and cats I know would chew their way out within a week. 

• Love 1
On 7/6/2016 at 2:44 AM, jjj said:

Pankot was also a location in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."  This seemed to have more Indiana Jones references than "Jewel in the Crown". 

. . .

I was not sure who would be killed in the maze, but knew someone would be -- and thought it might be someone shooting a person instead of the tiger. . . ..

Thanks!  The only things I remember about that movie are Kate Capshaw's opening production number--didn't even remember it was "Anything Goes" until I looked it up--and monkey brains at a banquet.

I did think that someone would be shot by accident in the maze, since there were so many people running around with guns and nobody was really sure where everyone else was.  Thought a bullet would pass through the shrubbery and hit someone.

On 7/6/2016 at 8:34 PM, kassygreene said:

The tiger had been caged for all those years, in a too-small cage, and tended by the old keeper because the Earl was unable to kill it after it mauled his daughter (discovery of which is what snapped her mind).  There were lots of claw marks on the walls.  My issue was that tiger looked too healthy for all that captivity. . . ..

48 minutes ago, beadgirl said:

. . .

. . .

I agree that the tiger looked in too good of a condition.  I would have thought that it wouldn't have had much muscle tone at all, due to the forced confinement and inactivity in that small space.

• Love 1