Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: WCIA: Getting Stuffed

Chef Anne Burrell and Chef Tyler Florence test the recruits' food knowledge in a game show-style battle of "Family Food," where they go head-to-head to win steps for an incomplete recipe. After the game, they clumsily attempt to fill in the blanks in their partial recipes and cook the dish. Then, they all must stuff and prepare a delicate cut of meat.

I agree too.  I liked Ty and was sorry to see him leave.  OTOH I was glad Tyler eliminated the young girl - can't recall her name.  She was cute but she seemed to be both incompetent and dumb.  I didn't catch what the older woman with the odd name said about handing out flowers in Haight- Ashbury in the '60s but I suspect that history explains a lot.  :)  I like her.

• Love 5

I really like the Hippy Chick who lives in a dome home, too.  Shanda can leave anytime....Sorry Ty had to go..Tyler's dish looked super complicated to me....amazing so many of them were good!

• Love 1

Okay, what the hell is going on here?  Those plates were RIDICULOUSLY advanced for people who can't work a measuring cup, whom you test with "ribeye = cow?"  And yet, satisfactory results. . .in less than an hour.  Please.

• Love 6

I've been cooking for over 40 years and I don't think I could have done Tyler's dish in an hour.

I think the girl should have gone too.  Ty at least got all 3 foods on the plate and she only got 1.  Why was she in the bottom when her steak was good and the other girl who only did the steak not in the bottom?

• Love 3

Yeah, who goes home is kind of a crap shoot at this point, and I agree with all that Ty should have stayed...I feel like I don't know these contestants very well? Have they spent more time introducing them in the past? One thing, though: the contestants do seem more real and less fame-whorey than previous years. I don't really understand why they're not doing some of the skill drills they used to do? It was nice to see them improve on key skills like knife cuts, etc.

Again, I thought Tyler's dish was harder to prepare than Ann's. He didn't seem to give them any instruction on how exactly to cut/butcher the meat. I'm no great cut-of-meat or beef expert, but I know that it matters where and how you cut something up...many of the dishes did appear to taste pretty good, which may be more about the fact that tenderloin is pretty dang tasty no matter what you do to it.

• Love 1

In past there seemed to be always one or more that was a reality show wannabe that had been on shows or at least has an agent, any of those detected yet in this season?

Also, always seem to be one or   two that seemed to be sandbagging on how well they could cook, any of the current group suspected of sandbagging yet?

I feel like I don't know these contestants very well? Have they spent more time introducing them in the past? One thing, though: the contestants do seem more real and less fame-whorey than previous years. I don't really understand why they're not doing some of the skill drills they used to do? It was nice to see them improve on key skills like knife cuts, etc.

Hmm, now that you mention it...I can't think of any sob stories or inspiration stories for any of these contestants - is this really a FN show?  Although, the lack of stories may just be the nature of WCIA - they all have the same basic sob story (I am a horrible cook) and they don't decide what to cook so they don't have to have an inspiration for their dish.  In any case, I like the lack of stories, even if it means I don't get to know them as well.  

• Love 1

I didn't find Tyler's dish all that appetizing. I think it was the way he described it as "crab salad." I guess, technically, that's what it was, so that's where my head was the entire time. I just kept thinking about melted mayo on beef, which I know I've eaten other variations of, I am sure ...

I think that maybe Anne and Tyler may have laid down the law with TPTB at FN because it seems like those two are quickly weeding out the ones that are uber annoying, clueless, etc. (e.g. hapless David from last week and singing emotional Ty this time around, as well as the ditz Tyler axed last night.) I think that if Donna of the two pairs of glasses hadn't gotten her shit together STAT she might have been chopped this week.

If Glenda can't speak/understand English all that well (e.g. finley) how did she make it onto the show?  I see her going soon as well as SAHW. (What the heck does that even mean, anyway?)

My early prediction is a final face-off between manbun and flower child (Hoagie? Hoaxie?) Sorry, I don't know all of their names quite yet.

Edited by grisgris
  • Love 1

I realize that speed seems to be everything on this show, but could Tyler maybe just finish chewing before he starts critiquing?  I don't understand the emphasis on speed.  This isn't Top Chef, and I don't even understand the emphasis on speed there, with experienced chefs.

I see her going soon as well as SAHW. (What the heck does that even mean, anyway?)

In the old days we would have called her a homemaker, but there's an inherent assumption that cooking is part of the home being made.

My favorite part was Tyler mocking that one woman with some chicken move....when minutes earlier he was bobbing like a prize hen during the Family Food game.  He's always had that distracting tick when hosting on the Food Truck show, but last night he was dong it just asking some a question.  The lost Family Food question:  "what's the difference between a pot and a kettle, Tyler?"

• Love 1

Agreed that Ty should not have gone home over the woman who left out most of her dish.  And ditto on liking the dome home hippy chick.  I even like the ditzty two-eyeglass lady.  I sympathize, I could wear 4 pairs of eyeglasses and still not see everything, LOL. Tyler's entree was unlike him; I usually like his food but that was a head scratcher for sure.  Yuck.  And me too on cooking for 40 years but still not being able to do that dish in an hour, especially with cutting that meat open like that.  I'm always nervous and take my time when I do that.  I am liking that most of these people are relatively gimmick-free and seem more real.  Tyler even made a comment about how real they feel this season, which was interesting.  I'm so happy this is not like that awful celebrity version.

• Love 2

Hmm, now that you mention it...I can't think of any sob stories or inspiration stories for any of these contestants - is this really a FN show?  Although, the lack of stories may just be the nature of WCIA - they all have the same basic sob story (I am a horrible cook) and they don't decide what to cook so they don't have to have an inspiration for their dish.  In any case, I like the lack of stories, even if it means I don't get to know them as well.  

Well, there is the contestant who made a birthday cake for her 91-year old aunt who then died the next day. I suppose that could be a sob story.

• Love 3

OK, my thoughts and observations after two episdoes.

As others have noted, the character level seems to be toned down this season from previous years, although there is still time for a few to evolve.

My guess is that ManBun is a wannabe reality show chaser.

As to Foureyes (legitimate in her case with the two pairs of specs), I'm not buying her stupidity claims in regards to cooking. She is a 60 year old Italian woman, who works as a lunch lady, amd she claims to not even understand how a measuring cup works? She is full of it. She talks the ditzy game, but watching her work it appears she actually has skill when doing her kitchen work.

In the initial challenge, the camera men must have had a competition to see who could get more cleavage shots of Shonda and Glenda. It seemed like every 5 seconds the camera cut to one or the other as they bent over and showed off their assets.

As to the elimination Glenda , or Finly, as I'll call her based on her being too dumb to comprehend the word finely, should have been given the boot for only putting out 1/3rd of her assignment. The fact that Chubby Urkel, or Churkel, as I'll call him, was cut, was wrong. He showed potential, and did put out a finished product. Ther was no comparison, a complete adequate dish should always trump an almost barren plate missing the majority of the entree.

It does seem that Anne is giving her team much easier Meals to prepare compared to Tylers. I also thought that crab salad inside a rolled filet looked gross. I can't say I've ever had it, but it just seems the salad would be ruined in the oven.

But overall, the obnoxious recruit factor is way down from previosu seasons, so maybe there is some hope for this one.

• Love 4

I'm calling bull pucky on this show!  It has to be a complete fabrication and set-up because, although I recognize that there are an enormous amount of people in this country that are about as stupid as stupid can be -- NOBODY is as ridiculously ignorant as some of these idiots (and, I apologize, because that is an insult to idiots)!  I can't watch such a fake show.  So, I'm out!

• Love 2

I'm actually finding this season more watchable than the last (I skipped celebs). The mere sight of Tyler still rubs me the wrong way and Frightwig always did, but the contestants are a bit more fun overall and since it's such a short season I'll probably make it all the way through.

• Love 2

I love Holgie!  66-year- old flower child.  Agree that season will come down to Holgie vs. Nick.  Oldest vs.youngest.

Tyler's menu was much harder.  Bearnaise sauce?  Really?  Although his blender method looked interesting.  If he told the cooks to separate the eggs, I didn't see it, but then some of them were doing it.  Separating eggs is not a skill that the "worst cooks" could master.  Either Tyler gave them a lesson off-camera, or they are ringers.