Type keyword(s) to search

Original Flavor Season Talk: Dinner at Rodbell's

37 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Wow, she did? I don't remember that part about her calling Darlene and Becky whores. I wonder if that got edited out on subsequent reruns. I do remember that she seemed liked Cathy Moriarty on crack.

(From the media thread, that had drifted into episode talk.) 

When Roseanne and Mrs. Healy (Barbara, I think; it's funny none of us seem to remember her name) talk after Roseanne comes over, and Mrs. Healy finds out about David asking to move in with the Conners/Roseanne finds out she didn't know, Roseanne tries to defuse the situation, saying Darlene and David just took a shot at staying together, it's not the worst thing in the world; she prefaces it with something along the lines of "I don't mean to interfere [with a mother/son argument]."  Mrs. Healy listens to her and says she doesn't need Roseanne butting in, telling her how to raise her kids -- "look at the two little whores you raised."

That's when Roseanne does the fantastic, "Oh, I'm in this now."  Which is followed by the equally fantastic, "You know, if your kid wasn't here, I would take the opportunity to remind you that people who live in glass whorehouses shouldn't throw stones."

That, in turn, is followed by the even better moment when Mrs. Healy really gets ugly with David (the "you're a worthless little bastard" part), and Roseanne says, "Okay, I changed my mind; David, you can come live with us if you want to." 

• Love 12
10 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Roseanne rescuing David from his home life was my second favorite episode of the entire show, after the domestic abuse double episode.

Oh I agree, even that it cemented Mark's issues over the years even later on during the "dumb years" where he talks about how their mother was so bad to them and their dad basically ignored that and just took off. Their mother was horrible. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Roseanne rescuing David from his home life was my second favorite episode of the entire show, after the domestic abuse double episode.

I totally agree. I have two sets of friends who have 'rescued' the teenage boyfriends of their children from horrible home lives, one of which has done it with two different boys (they had the first boy with them for about three years, at which point the daughter and the boy broke up but he was an adult by that stage and had benefited hugely from the years of stability he was provided, this was about three years ago and I am still friends with him on Facebook, he is doing really well. Their daughter, who is now in her early 20s has a child with the second boy and they are both at home at the moment but looking to move out soon). When I was a kid watching the show I felt like Roseanne accepted David into the home way too easily but now as an adult who has had these experiences in their own life, it feels very real and true to life.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, ButterQueen said:

I just watched Season 9’s Thanksgiving and Christmas episodes.  Good lord, why was everyone yelling the entire time.  Even the holiday shows in season 9 were horrible.

I agree and John Goodman looks like he'd rather be having a root canal.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

I always loved their holiday shows, but they surely were a mess in season 9.  

I didn’t care for the Halloween episode, but the Thanksgiving and Christmas episodes had a few good scenes. I liked Bev outing herself at Thanksgiving and the burning of the mortgage papers at Christmas. 

I always laugh when Dan comments on how much DJ has changed and mocks his changing voice. As the parent of teen boys, it just happens overnight and unexpectedly. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Stacey1014 said:

I didn’t care for the Halloween episode, but the Thanksgiving and Christmas episodes had a few good scenes. I liked Bev outing herself at Thanksgiving and the burning of the mortgage papers at Christmas. 

I always laugh when Dan comments on how much DJ has changed and mocks his changing voice. As the parent of teen boys, it just happens overnight and unexpectedly. 

Good heavens, ain't that true?

• Love 1

That, in turn, is followed by the even better moment when Mrs. Healy really gets ugly with David (the "you're a worthless little bastard" part), and Roseanne says, "Okay, I changed my mind; David, you can come live with us if you want to." 

Whenever I see that scene, I think what was wrong with Sally Kirkland for that to have been the best take they had of that particular scene.  I don't know what it is, but it's like she decided the best way to handle the character was to go over the top.   

When I was a kid watching the show I felt like Roseanne accepted David into the home way too easily but now as an adult who has had these experiences in their own life, it feels very real and true to life.

If it was real life, I can't possibly imagine someone agreeing to take in someone else's kid without having their spouse on board with the situation.  Roseanne was extremely lucky that Dan eventually agreed to the plan. 

15 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

If it was real life, I can't possibly imagine someone agreeing to take in someone else's kid without having their spouse on board with the situation.  Roseanne was extremely lucky that Dan eventually agreed to the plan. 

I think it's that they were in agreement they couldn't do it, had already told the kids no, and then it was Roseanne getting a look at David's home life that made her change her mind; given her history, he knew that if she changed her mind based on that, it was BAD in the Healy house and they were just going to have to make it work.  It's why he changes his attitude immediately when she says, "No, I don't mean messed up like we're messed up.  I mean bad.  Really, really, incredibly bad.  I grew up in a house like that."

Whenever I see that scene, I think what was wrong with Sally Kirkland for that to have been the best take they had of that particular scene.  I don't know what it is, but it's like she decided the best way to handle the character was to go over the top.   

I cannot stand her acting in this role, and she's at her most cringe-worthy in that scene.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I cannot stand her acting in this role, and she's at her most cringe-worthy in that scene.

Oh god, yes!! I don’t know the actress from anything else, so I was wondering if she’s always that bad or what, but wow. I feel like Roseanne is knocking it out of the park in that scene and she’s unfortunately stuck working with a loud, screechy, non-blinking brick wall. The actress shows no real emotion, she just yells. Oy. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, SparklesBitch said:

Oh god, yes!! I don’t know the actress from anything else, so I was wondering if she’s always that bad or what, but wow. I feel like Roseanne is knocking it out of the park in that scene and she’s unfortunately stuck working with a loud, screechy, non-blinking brick wall. The actress shows no real emotion, she just yells. Oy. 

I always attributed the bad acting to the character being drunk or on drugs...but what you said makes more sense.

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, ButterQueen said:

Am I the only one who felt Roseanne forgave Dan too easily for his other woman?

What I did not care for was the way Jackie called him out for it especially after she was running around with the one guy while she was still married to Fred. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. What Dan did was wrong, but at least he admitted it, and they were able to work on their problems after getting back together.

What I did not care for was the way Jackie called him out for it especially after she was running around with the one guy while she was still married to Fred. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. What Dan did was wrong, but at least he admitted it, and they were able to work on their problems after getting back together.

I did feel like there were times when Jackie used the "she's my sister" card to insert herself into Dan and Roseanne's marriage in a way that was just inappropriate. 

• Love 6
17 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I did feel like there were times when Jackie used the "she's my sister" card to insert herself into Dan and Roseanne's marriage in a way that was just inappropriate. 

It's funny, when I was a kid, I wished I had a sister like Jackie and a great relationship like the Roseanne and Jackie. Now, that I am an adult, I realize that Roseanne and Jackie often enabled the worst in each other sometimes.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

She was also always tattling on the kids. Roseanne finally said something like Why do I have to know? Every other parent in the world has no clue what their kids are up to. Why do I always have to know?

• Love 4

I was watching a DVD last night and who's the shitty mother....Sally Kellerman. She plays Jodie Fosters mother in the 70's film "Foxes." I'm beginning to think that was just her! I've watched that movie a dozen times and barely noticed her. 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

I was watching a DVD last night and who's the shitty mother....Sally Kellerman. She plays Jodie Fosters mother in the 70's film "Foxes." I'm beginning to think that was just her! I've watched that movie a dozen times and barely noticed her.

It's Sally Kirkland, not Sally Kellerman, who plays Mrs. Healy.  Kellerman (who was in Foxes) is even more offbeat than Kirkland.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

It's Sally Kirkland, not Sally Kellerman, who plays Mrs. Healy.  Kellerman (who was in Foxes) is even more offbeat than Kirkland.

Thank you! Damn it ! No wonder I hadn't noticed before! Carry on!

I watched a bit of the marathon, but missed that episode. I LOL’d during the episode where Jackie helped while Roseanne was away. There’s a scene where Jackie makes a plate for Dan as he arrives home from work — pot roast (Crystal’s recipe). She plates up a large thin slab of meat and a tiny little potato, no carrots or other vegetable. I just can’t imagine a guy of Dan’s appearance eating only one measly potato with his roast beef. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

TV Land is having a Best Of Roseane marathon today and they just showed Scenes From A Barbecue. Dayum, Bonnie Sheridan could sing like a fucking bird.

I love the song she and the others sing, too. 

• Love 1

Season 5 has so many great moments; Darlene going to jail to bail Dan out, the episode where Roseanne and Jackie's dad died (Roseanne's call to the airport where she asks if he'll be coming down the conveyor belt, Jackie's call to their aunt, "dead, NO DEAD, DEEEAAADDD! HE'S FINE, HE SENDS HIS LOVE! *hangs up the phone, to Roseanne* I'm not doing that again, you can't make me!"), "Oh my God, you didn't kill him then go get chicken, did you?!", etc.

Also, Darlene had such great curly hair starting in this season.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, slf said:

Season 5 has so many great moments; Darlene going to jail to bail Dan out, the episode where Roseanne and Jackie's dad died (Roseanne's call to the airport where she asks if he'll be coming down the conveyor belt, Jackie's call to their aunt, "dead, NO DEAD, DEEEAAADDD! HE'S FINE, HE SENDS HIS LOVE! *hangs up the phone, to Roseanne* I'm not doing that again, you can't make me!"), "Oh my God, you didn't kill him then go get chicken, did you?!", etc.

Also, Darlene had such great curly hair starting in this season.

When you mentioned the curly hair it made me think of that episode in season 4 where Barry asks her to the dance and she ends up bailing after Roseanne makes her try on all the dresses.

There is a scene where Dan is watching basketball and Darlene enters with a bowl of popcorn I think.

She is wearing a baseball style shirt, those jeans with the patches on them and I assume a pair of Doc Martens. Her hair is really curly and poofed out.

To me that is the exact moment Darlene ceased being a "girl" and transformed into a young woman.

• Love 4

With the Roseanne revival's first episodes airing tonight, spoilers have the potential to become an issue.  Please do not mix spoilers (even spoiler tagged) with comments in this topic.  There are other threads where comparisons with the original series can be made.  

On 4/6/2014 at 3:39 PM, Rhondinella said:

I gotta disagree.  I never cared for the Halloween eps.  They were so way over the top and campy.  I mean, other parts of the show became campy as the years went on, too, and they were never my favorites either.  But I just can't with the Halloween eps.  So I usually skip them.  But it's just a matter of preference.  I know lots of people who do like them.

Same with me! I never liked the Halloween eps. for the exact same reason you mentioned! I really liked the Thanksgiving eps. though!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

I’m watching a Roseanne marathon, I can’t believe I never noticed how wiggy her hair was in season 6 - 7.

Agreed. I’m watching season 7 now and see what you mean. 

I love Darlene’s hair mid-end season 6. The curls are amazing! 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

I’m watching a Roseanne marathon, I can’t believe I never noticed how wiggy her hair was in season 6 - 7.

Was that also when she had her plastic surgery? I remember at one point she went from having a completely round face to super-defined cheekbones, and I don't think that was just weight loss.

• Love 4
On 3/24/2018 at 6:26 PM, peacheslatour said:

TV Land is having a Best Of Roseane marathon today and they just showed Scenes From A Barbecue. Dayum, Bonnie Sheridan could sing like a fucking bird.

Yes she can. And it goes right through your soul. Whenever anyone mentions this, I always have to be annoying and implore people to check out the stuff she did in the 60's and 70's. Downright magical. 

• Love 3

I was watching the second episode of the original run, from way back in 1988.  I was watching it on some cable channel, TV Land I think.  Roseanne was credited as "Roseanne Arnold".  I though she didn't marry Tom Arnold until a few seasons in.  Wasn't she credited as "Roseanne Barr" for the first few seasons during the original run?  Was this edited for syndication?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, RayAdverb said:

Was this edited for syndication?

Yes, when it went into syndication - by which time she was Roseanne Arnold - they changed the credits on the early seasons.

• Love 1

Bill Maher addressed the Roseanne revival on his show the other night.

I'm mentioning it only because he talked about his appearance on the episode where Roseanne buys Dan the boudoir photo set. Basically says it was just a way of her putting some money in his pocket when times were tough.

• Love 3

I was watching reruns on Paramount today and they played the episode where Roseanne gets the job at the hair salon. I still don't get why she considered reception work more degrading than Chicken Divine. Maybe her grumpiness was just part of the overall arch of Roseanne feeling like life was passing her by, but considering how horribly she was treated at Wellman and the fast food place, you'd think she would've been happy to have a boss and co-workers who treated her well.

• Love 6

She wasn't just answering phones, she was also sweeping up hair (and then promoted to shampooing it), making coffee, washing towels, etc.  She was the low woman on the totem pole, and I can see how that felt worse in a way than the Chicken Divine job, where at least everyone but The Little Maggot was at the same level, and I also understand why she wound up staying with the salon job for a while despite that, because of how her boss and co-workers treated her. 

The arc made sense to me - being reluctant to take the job (especially given how beaten down she was by her post-Wellman attempts at employment), deciding to take it because she liked the camaraderie despite the job itself, and eventually deciding to move on to a server job, where she'd once again be an equal to her co-worker and would make more in tips based on volume.

• Love 5

I don't know where to put this but I've been asking myself for years if the Conners address 714 Delaware was in anyway a cheeky nod to qualudes ?

Just me? I'll see myself out. Going to the The Athletic Club in nearby Wisconsin. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:34 PM, FairyDusted said:

I don't know where to put this but I've been asking myself for years if the Conners address 714 Delaware was in anyway a cheeky nod to qualudes ?

Just me? I'll see myself out. Going to the The Athletic Club in nearby Wisconsin. 

I remember when they had T-shirts with Rorer714.  I didn't have a clue what that meant, LOL, until I discovered it was the maker of Quaaludes.  I never thought about that with the Connor's address.

Edited by Tenarife60
left out a word
  • Love 1
On 08/05/2018 at 8:27 PM, Mmmfloorpie said:

One joke I never got...

Cousin Ronnie says to Roseanne "That's a nice.... place"

At least I think she says place. I never got this joke. Is place another word for apron or something?

Guess no one else gets it either lol.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

Guess no one else gets it either lol.

Well, I'm not familiar with the scene in question, but it sounds to me like this person doesn't actually think it's a nice place, and once they start talking they realize they don't want to refer to it as a house or "home," so they say "place."

• Love 1