Type keyword(s) to search

The Simpsons - General Discussion

nymusix
  • Start Topic

Millhouse: I bet if God wore pants he'd have a belt like that.

Lisa: Where are you staying?

Homer: You know the four seasons? Well I'm experiencing all of them because I'm living in the park.

Luann: (sarcastically) I love having to steal clothes from the church donation box.

Rev. Lovejoy: Oh sweet Jesus.

• Love 1

You! Strawberry! Good effort today.
Take a lap and hit the showers.
I'm putting in a right-handed batter.
Pinch-hitting for me? Yes.
You're a left-hander and so is the pitcher.
If I send up a right-handed batter it's called playing the percentages.
It's what smart managers do to win ball games.
I've got nine home runs.
You should be very proud.
Sit down.
Simpson! You're batting for Strawberry.
I am? Whoo-hoo! That a boy, Homer.
You can do it.
[ Clucking ] All right, Simpson.
Let's go over the signals.
- If I tug the bill of my cap like so - Yeah.
- it means the signal is a fake.
- Uh-huh.
- I can take that off by dusting my hands thusly.
- Got it.
If I want you to bunt, I'll touch my belt buckle not once, not twice, but thrice.
[ Thinking ] I don't understand a word he's saying.
Why doesn't he just let me bat? I wish I was home with a big bag of potato chips.
Mmm potato chips.
- Got that, Simpson? - Yes, sir.

Homer: She's wearing white? She must have rolled the odometer back to zero.

Homer: If I find out who this is I'll staple a flag to your butt and mail you to Iran!

Bart: We could be murderers.

Homer: Could've been if we hadn't had kids.

Missed this episode when it aired even though I'm a Game of Thrones fan and amused by Clarice Van Houten playing a Van Houten.

So far I love the homage to Network with the "Big Birthday" guy as Ned Beatty's corporate head making his big, fiery "You have meddled with the primal forces of nature!" speech to Howard Beale.

Homer listing all the dystopian movies that have been made and the Expendles parody. Excellent.

Edited by VCRTracking

I don't know the name of the episode but it's when Homer gets eye drops or eye surgery or something and his eyes get all caked up.  It's so fucking cringe-worthy that I'm getting sick writing about it.  I don't watch the Simpsons to get squicked out.

I loved all the Lisa/Homer moments in the episode "Bart on the Road". I love the Homer/Lisa dynamic. I also have a soft spot for the episodes "Lisa's First Word" and "Lisa on Ice" The Bart/Lisa dynamic I think is very well done. They don't hate each other but they aren't bosom buddies. In the end though you know as adults they will always be there for each other. 

• Love 2

When Lisa becomes scared at the Krustyland Halloween Horror Night, Homer is forced to take down his Everscream Terrors decorations. Halloween pop-up employees seek vengeance on Homer for causing them to lose their jobs, and rob his house while Homer and Lisa hide out in the attic. Homer and Lisa light up their stored holiday decorations to attract attention and stand up to the intruders.

Wow, such an original plot!

Couch Gag: Beatles albums!

So Homer has narcolepsy now? And THIS is what finally breaks up Homer and Marge? Well, Marge did say it was because Homer didn't take his condition seriously enough. As for Homer, he SHOULD have told Marge he was waiting behind old people at the pharmacy. Speaking from experience, it DOES take hideously long to get through when that happens.

"I'd kill for okay!" Sounds like this fanbase.

Oh yeah, the pharmacist was voiced by Lena Dunham and can I switch places with Homer? Marge turned out to be dating Lena Dunham's father. Wow, what a shock. And it turns out to be a dream the whole time. Which was in a dream. In Marge's dream. In Lena Dunham's tattoo. That was awfully convenient.

There were quite a few montages in this, but I loved Homer's drug trip (the show is usually great at those). Noticed a few cameos on the tattoos: Mr. Sparkle, the Space Coyote, Fatov, Smilin' Joe Fission, Spider-Pig, and I caught the Creepy Clown Bed at another part.

I was wondering where Kirk was in this show about divorce and then I realized that Kirk remarried LuAnn. And that Homer is nowhere near as pathetic as Kirk (even if he still buys Beanie Babies).

So, none of it actually happened since Adam and Hanna are fictional characters, and it was Hanna explaining the story behind her tattoo.  And people needed to have watched 'Girls' to even get that last scene.  Sure, why not ?

"I'd kill for okay!" Sounds like this fanbase.

Basically, but it wasn't really even okay -- it was neither clever nor even mildly amusing.

It was all a dream. Yep, this show has officially become even more terrible.

Inception-style 4 or 5 levels deep dreams within a tale told by Hanna.    Uggh.

• Love 2

Narcolepsy take me away!

Because that would have been preferred over this episode.

Until it turned out to be the story behind Lena Dunham from Girls' tattoo, it's essentially what happened.

I kept wondering "why is this called Every Man's Dream?" And then came the dreams. In the dreams.

I still think the best "dream in a dream" twist this show ever did was the end of THoH II where we found out that Homer's story was a just dream (which we already knew)...but Burns' head is attached to Homer's body.

• Love 2

So since this whole episode was a dream, then nothing happened was officially  show cannon? Somehow, I wished that this episode ended when Lisa and Homer had that talk outside by the house's stoop. Then in the next episode we get a similar plot but we start to see Marge and Homer start to miss each other, but then Marge decides that she needs more time to think things through.

I mean over the years, Homer has been a crappy husband and I can totally see them "taking a break from each other" but not dating others while on this "break" and seeing Homer sleeping with pharmacist was disturbing, but part of me was glad that part was a dream.  I also do wish that Homer would be less of a jerk, especially when it comes to Marge, but lately Marge has been bitchy to Homer as well. 

During Homer's dating montage, I noticed we got to see Otto going out with Lindsey Naegle. 

As, I did love the cover song, "What a Wonderful World" and I wonder who sings it?

Wow, such an original plot!

Couch Gag: Beatles albums!

So Homer has narcolepsy now? And THIS is what finally breaks up Homer and Marge? Well, Marge did say it was because Homer didn't take his condition seriously enough. As for Homer, he SHOULD have told Marge he was waiting behind old people at the pharmacy. Speaking from experience, it DOES take hideously long to get through when that happens.

I would guess that this is the straw that broke the camel's back (or Marge's back) and that since technically Homer should take something like narcolepsy seriously, and that she would be mad because he is ignoring a semi-serious medical condition. 

So, none of it actually happened since Adam and Hanna are fictional characters, and it was Hanna explaining the story behind her tattoo.  And people needed to have watched 'Girls' to even get that last scene.  Sure, why not ?

So, the  ending was from the show's Girls? Because I didn't get who were the couple at the end of the story was and what they were referencing either.

There were quite a few montages in this, but I loved Homer's drug trip (the show is usually great at those). Noticed a few cameos on the tattoos: Mr. Sparkle, the Space Coyote, Fatov, Smilin' Joe Fission, Spider-Pig, and I caught the Creepy Clown Bed at another part.

I was wondering where Kirk was in this show about divorce and then I realized that Kirk remarried LuAnn. And that Homer is nowhere near as pathetic as Kirk (even if he still buys Beanie Babies).

I never caught cameos on the tattoos. 

As with receive any marriage advice from Kirk, would, IMO, be disastrous. I would rather take marriage advice from Skinner and/or Moe if I was living in that Springfield. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1

So, the ending was from the show's Girls? Because I didn't get who were the couple at the end of the story was and what they were referencing either.

And the voices of the pharmacists friends in the coffee shop, or wherever they were, were the other GIRLS from that show. Edited by GaryE
  • Love 1

The only way I could have bought this whole episode being Marge's dream (before Hanna's daughter) is if there were a scene recognizing her own bitchy behavior. And I wish there was also a scene where her perfect boyfriend dumped her because he realized she had the personality of dry toast. Seriously, people talk about Homer being a jerk but would anyone really consider a ninnyshrew like Marge such a catch?

And the voices of the pharmacists friends in the coffee shop, or wherever they were, were the other GIRLS from that show.

I knew it was Lena but I didn't realize it was the rest of the girls until the end credits.  Thankfully - Lena is bad enough but I hate them all and I would have  just immediately changed the channel when they were on if I had recognized their voices.  Or thrown the remote.

I knew it was Lena but I didn't realize it was the rest of the girls until the end credits. 

I actually watch GIRLS, but I didn't pick up on it till the end credits either. Then I rewound and watched the scene again.

I don't watch Girls and only know the case members' names thanks to an addiction to two fashion blogs so I wasn't that impressed by their guest appearances last night. (and the subpar SL didn't help). Here's to hoping the next episodes and Treehouse of Terror are better than the premiere. 

The best parts for me were Lindsay Nagle and Otto out on a date (or whatever they were up to), the return of Julio, and Homer's drug trip especially the tattoos. 

As, I did love the cover song, "What a Wonderful World" and I wonder who sings it?

The closing credits and the morph from when Maggie was singing it (as Homer woke up) I thought had a Ramones-esque quality to it, but it was actually a band called The Clarks.  I don't know who Maggie's singing voice was, but Allison Williams (who was one of Candace's friends)' character on Girls is a singer - maybe it was her.

I could care less about this show doing different versions of the same plot, and I have never believed there should be any respect for a linear timeline, where something in the new episode contradicts something in a previous episode.

So I'll just say that I didn't really care for this version of Marge is fed up with Homer.

And I'll also say that I do still like it when the show acknowledges things that happened in other episodes. Like the space coyote in this episode.

Or my favorite here, which was the Owner of the Month wall.   Burns, Burns, Burns, Burns, Burns, Hanz & Fritz, Burns,Burns, Burns, Burns,Burns, Burns, Burns,Burns, Burns, Burns,Burns, Burns, Burns,Burns, Burns, Burns,Burns, Burns, Burns.

• Love 1

I don't watch Girls and only know the case members' names thanks to an addiction to two fashion blogs so I wasn't that impressed by their guest appearances last night. (and the subpar SL didn't help). Here's to hoping the next episodes and Treehouse of Terror are better than the premiere. 

The best parts for me were Lindsay Nagle and Otto out on a date (or whatever they were up to), the return of Julio, and Homer's drug trip especially the tattoos. 

First, isn't it Treehouse of Horror and not Treehouse of Terror?

Second, I really do like the idea that Lindsay Nagle and Otto are in some kind of long term relationship (and that everyone in Springfield knows about it). You know, looking back I remember Otto always talking about "his lady", but now I like to think that his lady is actually Lindsay Nagle and they are in some kind of on again/off again relationship.

Also, the drug scene was rad and I really liked how the sidewalk would lit up when Homer stepped on them. As with Julio was he one of the pharmacist friends or was that someone else?

Edited by TVSpectator

Maybe the show too far gone at this point to get any better, but on the slim chance the writers do listen to the fans -- and I think after that trainwreck season premiere, it's safe to assume they aren't -- lets start a constructive thread fow how the show can be possibly be salvaged.

My suggestion: have Marge stop being such a narrow-minded bitch. It's getting really old.

I've never watched Girls, but what what little I've seen of it I think of how Patty & Selma summed up Sex & The City: "It's about a group of single women who act like gay men."

I remember that!  I also liked when Brian Griffin was trying to understand SATC: "So it's a show about three hookers and their mom?"

• Love 2

Haven't watched Simpsons in ages..and I think my friend and I were in a weird place to enjoy it but we loved all the hidden stuff...First the pharmacy name and then the Craft Beer list..

After a horrible episode of The Middle, this actually made us laugh..

• Love 1

When the episode starts with kids booing the 20th Century Fox logo, I knew this was gonna be a good one. This one was MUCH better than last week.

I can't believe the Simpsons would show (most) of the real Dr. Doolittle. Well, I guess the writers are tired of writing their own bad movies, so they used a real one.

Loved the return of the Land of Chocolate music for Homer's BBQ trip...which came back for Marge's. I also noticed Homer's muumuu in the attic. Also, Bender in the basement!

I did like how even after Homer failed to buy a washer the family kept wearing laundry day clothes for the rest of the episode. You really don't see continuity like that these days. Marge should really know not to trust Homer to spend money wisely, this whole plot had a "curse you, magic beans" vibe to it, which I actually liked. I was kinda sad at Greasy Hobo (Edward James Olmos) being needlessly killed off, but his Cloud Self was just so funny. Now he can spy on anyone in the shower!

I wish Alton Brown was in the episode more, but I liked what he brought to it. And That was Ben Schwartz (aka Jean-Ralphio) as the Trader Joe's guy with the hoop earrings. Also, Bobby Moynihan as Bobby Flay, er, Scotty Boom's son.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 4

When the episode starts with kids booing the 20th Century Fox logo, I knew this was gonna be a good one. This one was MUCH better than last week.

I can't believe the Simpsons would show (most) of the real Dr. Doolittle. Well, I guess the writers are tired of writing their own bad movies, so they used a real one.

Loved the return of the Land of Chocolate music for Homer's BBQ trip...which came back for Marge's. I also noticed Homer's muumuu in the attic. Also, Bender in the basement!

I did like how even after Homer failed to buy a washer the family kept wearing laundry day clothes for the rest of the episode. You really don't see continuity like that these days. Marge should really know not to trust Homer to spend money wisely, this whole plot had a "curse you, magic beans" vibe to it, which I actually liked. I was kinda sad at Greasy Hobo (Edward James Olmos) being needlessly killed off, but his Cloud Self was just so funny. Now he can spy on anyone in the shower!

I wish Alton Brown was in the episode more, but I liked what he brought to it. And That was Ben Schwartz (aka Jean-Ralphio) as the Trader Joe's guy with the hoop earrings. Also, Bobby Moynihan as Bobby Flay, er, Scotty Boom's son.

Agreed, that was a definite improvement over last week.

Wasn't quite sure what to make of the scenes running over the credits -- the smoker was indestructible and survived for over a 1000 years until aliens bees landed on Earth and took it with them.

Wasn't quite sure what to make of the scenes running over the credits --

And that was the theme song for season 1 True Detective, right? Edited by GaryE