Type keyword(s) to search

The Simpsons - General Discussion

nymusix
  • Start Topic

On 10/16/2016 at 9:34 PM, Spartan Girl said:

And how dare they stick Futurama with all those terrible shows?!

Because that's exactly what Groening and these guys do.  Nobody is safe from being mocked, including themselves.

I did enjoy the one or two seconds too long of walking by pickled eggs in the back of the bar.  

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 2

Intro: Stretch Dude & Clobber Girl!

Billboard: The voting machines are rigged! The Voting Machines are fine!

Chalkboard: First ep of the second 600!

Couch Gag: Museum! Really loved all the artwork.

About time they covered Making A Murderer, and putting it in Itchy & Scratchy was perfect.

THAT'S what Tibor looks like?! He looks...normal. I was expecting him to look more like Zutroy. I wonder what Homer blamed on him that led to him getting that corner office?

That Kent Brockman-as-Brian Williams plot was worth it for the Talking Heads bit and Arnie Pye taking over. Kent lost his job before...literally 200 episodes ago. What I love about him is that his cadance never leaves "Newsman Mode," much like how Rev. Lovejoy always sounds like he's giving a sermon. That's the talent of Harry Shearer. And speaking of which, the News Anchor support group was great, too. Lots of Harry talking to himself. And Dan Rather. (EDIT: This episode was written by Harry! Explains why there were so many of his characters in this)

"I don't wear suspenders. I ROCK suspenders." Don't change, Lenny.

I just loved that Not Buzzfeed was only around for 4 days. The real thing is, sadly, still going strong. "6 Things You Didn't Know About Things" was my favorite clickbait headline.

What did we have, 3 plots tonight? I'll admit, I liked this one. Last week was better.

Edited by Galileo908

That is hilarious that Shearer wrote this episode. He has been doing that great Tom Brokaw impression since at least the early '80s. I remember a sketch he did during one of his tenures on SNL where he played Brokaw, who was angry that someone was apparently "sneaking more L's" into his copy to trip him up during the newscast. 

• Love 1

Of course Brockman would be a reporter who sensationalized stories to make himself a hero. I loved how the apology broadcast where he couldn't stop lying and the Simpsons reactions watching him.

Loved the late night part with the skits made to go viral and the buzzfeed parody with the scarily faithful headlines.

Had we seen Tibor before in a previous episode? I truly cannot remember but it was funny to see someone else yet again get a promotion over Homer. I did feel bad for the old Springfield Mall and what it had been reduced to. 

I will always love Kent vs Arnie so loved that both were in last night's ep. To this day whenever I hear/overhear a stupid question at work I immediately hear Arnie's exasperated "I can't see through METAL, Kent" in my head. :-D

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Kaboom 2.0 said:

Had we seen Tibor before in a previous episode? I truly cannot remember but it was funny to see someone else yet again get a promotion over Homer. I did feel bad for the old Springfield Mall and what it had been reduced to. 

I will always love Kent vs Arnie so loved that both were in last night's ep. To this day whenever I hear/overhear a stupid question at work I immediately hear Arnie's exasperated "I can't see through METAL, Kent" in my head. :-D

This was the first time we've seen Tibor. He was only mentioned in passing during "Marge Gets a Job" from...24 seasons ago.

• Love 1

Alien: We offered you paradise. You would have experienced emotions a hundred times greater than what you call love. And a thousand times greater than what you call fun. You would have been treated like gods and lived forever in beauty. But, now, because of your distrustful nature, that can never be.

Marge: [aside] Mmmm. For a superior race, they really rub it in.

• Love 1

I live in Northern Virginia and there is a Congresswoman running for re-election who I normally I would want to lose since she's a Republican.  But the Metro union seems to hate her so I'm on her side on that fight.  It basically comes down to "I Don't Agree with His Bart-Killing Policy, but I Do Approve of His Selma-Killing Policy". Thankfully she's in another district so I don't actually have to decide between Sideshow Bob and Mayor Quimby.

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 1

I love how easily the moms of Springfield panicked over light tapping of helmets. And then actually whacked the kid's heads on the MRI. Gotta appreciate irony.

"What about Biathlon? That teaches kids to ski AND kill!"

So we have a rethread of the pee-wee football episode. And the hockey one. And the soccer one. But this time it's lacrosse. "Safer than football!"

Hey, at least we got some backstory on Kirk and Gudger College.  And yeah, Kirk's lame. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy? Rice Sandwiches? It's weird that Homer putting up with Kirk completely distracted him from the kids and everything else. But inadvertatly taught him good sportsmanship at the same time.

So many of Springfield's dads go to strip clubs. No surprise.

"It's the Strip-a-copter! I mean, a helicopter I've never rented before."

• Love 2

I am kind of surprised that Homer doesn't go to a strip club. I would've bet that he does but was putting up an act to avoid spending time with Kurt but it turns out that he really doesn't go to strip clubs. Now, the other dads, that wasn't a surprise at all- hell Dr. Hubburt even knows about the strip helicopter.

• Love 1

I like how all the strip clubs were located near the intersection of Airport Bypass Road and Storage Facility Blvd. -- because these places always seem to be located at out of the way locations near the airport.

Other strip club signs seen (in addition to Clubbb Sinnn) were:

• Krystal Spyce
  • Wet 'N' Girls
  • Champagne Explosion
  • Nude Elegance
  • Gyrationz -- Where Friction Comes Alive
  • Peelers Nude Girls
  • Intimate Frustrations
  • Not Hookers
  • Pole Cats
  • Saddy's -- credit card statement will say "Church Dues"
  • Taragon Ocelot
  • Juicy Wang -- Warning: Guy in Bathroom Does Not Work for Us

Homer: "Hey, I'm looking for my friend. Bald, middle-aged guy, sad, paunch, given up on life."
Bouncer at Clubbb Sinnn: "It's 10 in the morning.  Take your pick."

And @Galileo908, on 2nd viewing there was Princess Cashmere on the center stage. Nice catch !

When Homer sits down in the strip club, the wall of booze bottles behind him included:

• Absolut Krusty (in a Krusty's head-shaped bottle)
  • Absolut Pikl
  • Maker's Moe
  • Sad Grand-dad
  • Moe et Chandon (complete with a picture of Moe on the label) -- like Moet & Chandon champagne.
  • Grand Canyon Lager
  • Triple Sec
  • Quadruple Sec
  • O'Glums beer
  • Coal Mine Ale
  • Golden Gate Pilsener

And when Homer enters the Champagne Room, he's carrying a bottle of Utica's finest champagne.
In the Youtube video during credits, Kirk is drinking Swigger's Choice Kentucky bourbon.

Let's not forget the kid's stripper poles in the Clubbb Sinnn daycare center.

• Love 3

BatmanBeatles, my boyfriend actually said that quote over the weekend! He injured himself and has not run in a month, he said if he doesn't heal soon and get back to running he's going to have to resort to washing himself like that due to weight gain. 

No matter who wins this mess of a presidential election tomorrow I totally expect to hear Sideshow Bob's fantastic, villainous extended-version laugh when he's declared the winner of Springfield's mayoral election oh so many seasons ago in my head. 

• Love 1

Thank you for posting the strip club signs and the names of the wall of bottles behind Homer's head! The only sign I clearly remember was the Juicy Wang's "Warning: guy in bathroom does not work for us" because it actually made me LOL. And don't forget the framed Strupo print behind Homer's head as he and Kurt are in their hotel room just before Kurt mentions Lap Aficionado.com. :-D

Poor Kurt. Even as the star athlete of his lacrosse team at Gudger College, he was still bald on top although to be fair the rest of his hair flowed long and true. 

• Love 1

Intro: Black hole!

Billboard: Cletus Thanksgiving Eggs

Chalkboard: Being right sucks.

Couch Gag: Olympus!

Kirk & Milhouse on a Shark Tank parody? Love it.

"Now there's a Milhouse I'd marry."

The Simpsons are going to...Cuba! And not for asylum this time!

I loved Bart spray-painted "The Bart" in Cuba.

So all Grampa needs are Memberberries? Well, 50s nostalgia works, too. That whole bit about the plane nightclub being a CIA sting operation was...weird. Ending was good, though.

For some reason, I love whenever this show makes fun of I Love Lucy. Fred Mertz was the landlord? I haven't watched that show in a while, that's surprising to know.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 3

Fred Mertz was the landlord?

Yeah there were a couple of episodes where they fought about apartment stuff (and of course made up in the end).

Having been to Cuba a couple of years ago, I thought they got the vibe correct and I enjoyed the episode. Love it when Grandpa gets a moment of sanity and shows he's not always a doddering old fool. I also loved Jasper sending him a picture of his literal junk.

• Love 1

Galileo908

I love whenever this show makes fun of I Love Lucy. 

Homer:  I never really understood “I Love Lucy”.  Their plots were so ri-dic-u-lous.

Marge:  I agree, Home-y.  Now remember, because Grandpa went wee-wee on the carpet, we now have to go to Cuba and get involved in a CIA sting operation.

Homer:  Ay-yi-yi!!  OK, no more ‘splaining!!

That whole bit about the plane nightclub being a CIA sting operation was...weird.

Grandpa:  I had no idea that fixing up an old airplane for a nightclub also involved making the cockpit fully operational again, and filling up the fuel tanks and hydraulics.  I should have known that those guys with the “CIA” jackets were doing more than just bringing in the carpeting for the lounge.

Edited by Twilight Man

I am now just responding to this episode and I did like it. What I like the most about it was that this was an Abe focus episode and more about Abe and his old friend (who hijacked that plane back in the 1970s). 

A few more thoughts:

- When Abe was on his friends plane I thought that it was funny that every other American (excluding the Simpsons Family, that CIA agent) were criminals. I also loved that both Abe and Homer punched (and slapped) the creator of Ticketmaster over the other criminals/traitors. 

- I also liked that Abe's new Cuban flame was actually a CIA agent working undercover and I liked that he at least wasn't too upset about it. Plus, I also enjoyed seeing her taking over the plane, gassing everyone (except for Maggie and Abe) with knockout gas, and flying everyone back to the US.  

-Another thing that I enjoyed was that Abe's real reason to stay behind was because his friend was going to open up a nightclub and not really because he fell for the bartender. They have, in my opinion, kind of overplayed Abe's love life and I thought that giving him another reason to stay behind, other than another love, was different and refreshing to see. 

- I also enjoyed seeing Abe play the Simpson's theme song on the guitar and calling it, "a family song that was passed down through the generations". 

-More rejuvenated Abe was also fun to see and I did like that 1950s car and the way Abe just loved it and described all of it's features (pointed triangles for the review mirrors and are not good for nothing)

On 11/14/2016 at 5:37 PM, Kaboom 2.0 said:

I really should not have giggled as much as I did when Jasper said he was going to text Abe a pic of Jasper's junk…and then took a pic of a pile of Jasper's junk. :-D

Oh, I forgotten already about that one joke but it was a good one!

Intro: Homer balloon!

Billboard: Celebrate your holiday by ruining others!

Chalkboard: I will watch all 600 episodes without sleeping!

Couch Gag: Bart's the only one who made it to the couch. That opening was great.

Homer has a point bout mascot fights: Top-heavy mascots always win, unless they're fighing one without arms.

Man, Choremonkey is a awesome idea. For us lazy folks, that is. An Uber for people to do your chores for you. I loved that whole bit with Blake the hostage negotiator, and the OJ Simpson and deflategate jokes. I also liked how Matt Leinart was actually around for most of the episode and not a cheap cameo. It was just like Brother From The Same Planet, only with Milhouse in place of Pepi, and Matt Leinhart in place of Tom.

That "It gets better" poster with the grave in the retirement home was DARK, and the Popeye-esque flashback was funny, but also dark. 

Of course Milhouse is the Top Hat in Monopoly. And Kirk can't even get Wendell's approval, and riding in a go-kart with Bart was the highlight of his year, it seems.

Loved that ending with the return of Blake, and the Vin Scully tribute was great, too.

• Love 1

A sports cameo that actually made me laugh.  Homer throws the football into stupid Flanders backyard.

Flanders: "My zinnias !"
Matt Leinert: "Pffft.  Annuals."

Now that was funny.

Itchy and Scratchy's Injury 500.

Abe: "That was a time when throwing your child into the sun was considered humane."
Never change Abe.

Abe: "You can feel it when they cremate you.  Tell everyone."

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

"Aww, that was from before a time when throwing your baby into the sun was considered child abuse." 

My bad -- thanks @Galileo908

ETA:  Correction, on 2nd viewing, we were both off, but I was way out there.
Abe: "Awe, that was before throwing your baby into the sun was considered child abuse."

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, TVSpectator said:

How old was Abe's girlfriend supposed to be? Because pregnancy is something that I would imagine that wouldn't be an issue for someone like Abe and his girlfriend.

Yeah, that was a little odd considering that she was supposed to be of retiree age.

I liked that Jasper's baby also had a full beard in utero.

Abe: "Well, I just want to say .... Yes !  I can't raise my left arm much less a child. Yippee ! Not having kids keeps ya young."

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

Is someone on the staff related to Matt Leinart (i.e. the poor man's Carson Palmer)?  That was a lot of airtime given to a guy who won the Heisman back when Bush was still in his first term and ended up joining a large group of Heisman winners who had crappy NFL careers.

• Love 1

I had no idea who Matt Leinart was before last night. Thanks, show writers. I actually thought he did a good job, to me he did not sound stilted or out of his element. 

ChoreMonkey has to happen, right? I bet revenue would skyrocket around certain holidays, like the upcoming Thanksgiving. 

Two straight episodes featuring Abe SLs was all right with me. And aw, the Vin Scully tribute at the end. Sniffles. 

• Love 1
On 10/26/2016 at 11:01 AM, M. Darcy said:

It basically comes down to "I Don't Agree with His Bart-Killing Policy, but I Do Approve of His Selma-Killing Policy".

This was just on the other day, and I chuckled at that line. Still funny.