Type keyword(s) to search

The Simpsons - General Discussion

nymusix
  • Start Topic

It was sad that to see that while Homer finally opened up to Bart on why he was an emotionally absent father, their relationship remained strained. But the story overall was lovely, it was a good parody while remaining true to its characters!

• Love 1

Was that Kang or Kodos as Santa in the intro ?  And no Rudolph leading the sleigh ?

The rotoscoping couch gag actually looked pretty cool.

Since when did Abe ever have a cabin in the woods ?

I liked the younger version of Professor Frink as Bart's tutor.

Homer: "That boy is so much trouble. Never should have had a first born, shoulda skipped right to the second."

Liked the shade thrown towards Apple getting into the car business by Marge.

At the BMX Championship, the past champions' entrance was wheelchair accessible -- because of all the spinal injuries and such.

The scoreboard statistics were pretty funny: Broken Necks, Sketchy Endorsements, Stokage, Rad Moves, Career Air Time.

The hangtime on Bart's jump was kind of ridiculous -- and why did he fall straight down after spotting Lisa's shadow ?  Heck, the hangtime on Bart's helmet was equally ridiculous -- on the order of minutes -- even if it did hit him on the head after Lisa warned him to move. 

Why was Lisa's shadow so large at the BMX competition ?  And why when Bart woke up no one was casting long shadows at all ?  That was kind of stupid.

If Bart, Milhouse, Lisa and Nelson were all graduating, why was that bush party a Milhouse-palooza ?  Lisa was going to Yale, Milhouse was going to flight attendant school.  Yeesh !!

Maggie was kissing the grown up version of her nemesis -- the baby with one the monobrow.  Ha !!

I liked that the mural was scenes from the entire episode.

I also thought this was a lovely episode. 

I really loved that they showed how close Abe and Bart were over the years and how that came into play with Bart opening up that bike shop.

As someone who doesn't want Lisa to end up with Millhouse, I loved that she found a cure for Nelson's pituitary problem and they began dating. This all predates Bart and his two boys, Lisa's marriage to Millhouse.

• Love 1

This was a sweet episode. I've never seen Boyhood but using the device of seeing Bart in multiple ages was great. Out of all the possible futures that's been shown I think is my favorite(second being the Christmas future one). Also Maggie kissing Gerald!

Edited by VCRTracking

Was that Kang or Kodos as Santa in the intro ?  And no Rudolph leading the sleigh ?

The rotoscoping couch gag actually looked pretty cool.

Since when did Abe ever have a cabin in the woods ?

I liked the younger version of Professor Frink as Bart's tutor.

Homer: "That boy is so much trouble. Never should have had a first born, shoulda skipped right to the second."

Liked the shade thrown towards Apple getting into the car business by Marge.

At the BMX Championship, the past champions' entrance was wheelchair accessible -- because of all the spinal injuries and such.

The scoreboard statistics were pretty funny: Broken Necks, Sketchy Endorsements, Stokage, Rad Moves, Career Air Time.

The hangtime on Bart's jump was kind of ridiculous -- and why did he fall straight down after spotting Lisa's shadow ?  Heck, the hangtime on Bart's helmet was equally ridiculous -- on the order of minutes -- even if it did hit him on the head after Lisa warned him to move. 

Why was Lisa's shadow so large at the BMX competition ?  And why when Bart woke up no one was casting long shadows at all ?  That was kind of stupid.

If Bart, Milhouse, Lisa and Nelson were all graduating, why was that bush party a Milhouse-palooza ?  Lisa was going to Yale, Milhouse was going to flight attendant school.  Yeesh !!

Maggie was kissing the grown up version of her nemesis -- the baby with one the monobrow.  Ha !!

I liked that the mural was scenes from the entire episode.

It was Milhouse's party. And the Apple car was right out of Richard Scarry, I loved it.

Also, not the first flash forward that showed Maggie and Gerald as a couple.

EDIT: Concussion stats: 3 1/2

Edited by Galileo908

I too liked this episode, it didn't feel as forced, if that's even the word I'm thinking of, as recent eps have been. I especially loved the glimpses into Bart and Abe's relationship, Bart and Homer and of course Bart and Lisa. 

Milhouse continues to creep me out no matter which flash forward episode he's in. 

Maggie and Gerald kissing made my night. From nemeses to smooches, who knew. LOL 

After a photo Marge posts on social media gets Homer fired, he returns to the best job he ever had, a dishwasher at a Greek restaurant. This same post inspires Lisa to code an app that predicts the real-life consequences of anything you post online, only to create sentient artificial intelligence.

No, Ethan Hawke played a very loyal father in the film. Usually Abe was portrayed as the emotionally abusive Dad to Homer, while Homer tried to be a better Dad to Bart...yet still very neglectful to him. But Abe turned out to be the role model this time. There did seem to be a history rewrite.

So this was essentially the Simpsons' take on Silicon Valley (complete with parodying the opening), gender flipped to boot. But not as clever. Of course CBG is the lone male techie and all the girls get offended by everything he said.

Stephen Merchant was the voice of CONRAD. If it was an actual app, Twitter would be much more quiet. And pleasant. When is it coming? It reminded me of that South Park episode that had Butters filter everything on social media, with pretty much the same thing happening: CONRAD goes crazy seeing the dregs of humanity on the internet.

Loved the Bob's Burgers shout out! I REALLY want to see that "Bob gets boycotted by short people" episode.

So Homer got fired. Again. Too bad he didn't have dozens of other jobs to fall back on, so here's him working at a Greek diner and turning into a Greek guy for some reason.

So this was essentially the Simpsons' take on Silicon Valley (complete with parodying the opening), gender flipped to boot. But not as clever. Of course CBG is the lone male techie and all the girls get offended by everything he said.

Stephen Merchant was the voice of CONRAD. If it was an actual app, Twitter would be much more quiet. And pleasant. When is it coming? It reminded me of that South Park episode that had Butters filter everything on social media, with pretty much the same thing happening: CONRAD goes crazy seeing the dregs of humanity on the internet.

Loved the Bob's Burgers shout out! I REALLY want to see that "Bob gets boycotted by short people" episode.

So Homer got fired. Again. Too bad he didn't have dozens of other jobs to fall back on, so here's him working at a Greek diner and turning into a Greek guy for some reason.

It was an ok episode, but it would have been funnier if they had maybe got some of the guys from the TV show 'Silicon Valley' as guests like Thomas Middleditch or T. J. Miller.

Loved Stephen Merchant as CONRAD the neurotic app.  

I liked that SLH was 3-headed like Cerberus in Homer's Greek dream during the end credits

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

I actually LOL'd during the Silicon Valley parodied opening credits, Poochie was the Napster balloon that goes up and then quickly deflates. Well, that and Homer's crush and poster of Senator Elizabeth Warren. :-D

ETA loved Stephen Merchant as Conrad's voice!

Edited by Kaboom 2.0
  • Love 1

I actually LOL'd during the Silicon Valley parodied opening credits, Poochie was the Napster balloon that goes up and then quickly deflates.

I figured as soon as that scene appeared it would have possibly lead to corresponding guest stars, but nope, probably too late in the episode.

Burns (to Smithers): "What are tittering at ?  Are you playing that Grinder game again."

Loved the NSA spiderbot escaping from the remains of Smithers' smashed iPad, and taking a photo before it snuck out.

The pizza boxes all had very time-specific names: Midnight Meat Lovers, Afternoon Anchovy, Morning Margherita, Pre-Dawn Pepperoni

There was a billboard for Mr. Sparkle in the Silicon Valley opening credits parody.  And there was a Happy Little Elves billboard that was replaced with an Itchy and Scratchy billboard.  And for some reason, someone was bungee-jumping off the Mapple building.

Ricky the Intern got fired -- and received no course credit.

CBG: "Always the Savarin, never the Zuckerberg."

Booth signs seen at AppCrush:

• God Guide -- Enter Your I.Q., Find the Religion for You.
  • PaidPal -- Find Out When You've Been Paid by PayPal
  • Ripcord -- Your Phone Buzzes When It's Time to Leave a Conversation
  • ZIP Crayons -- Don't Buy Your Crayons, Rent Them
  • SkeetCute -- Dating App for Skeet Shooters
  • Cribble -- The Filipino Google
  • KoalaFeed -- A Messaging Revolution -- You've Got Mail in Your Pouch -- Group Koalafeeds and Eucalypt-texts are Always free !

Did the blue dye in Lisa's hair keep switching sides ?

ETA: On the SWOT board in the Simpson's living room, with the question at hand of "What if Computers Ruled the World ?", 'no more religion' made all 4 quadrants.  Not sure why 'Elaine Might Die' was in the Opportunities quadrant along with a note that looked a lot like 'Bone Ruth Bader Ginsburg' but I could be wrong.  In the Weaknesses quadrant, there was 'Have to wake up Bender' note.  The rest were really tough to discern.

Homer: "Aaaahh !! I hate the modern world and all it's crazy words.  Siri, tell Amazon to drone me a beer."

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

I just saw The Force Awakens over the weekend and ....was I the only one that had Mark Hamill singing "Luke be a jedi tonight" in my head?

I feel shame now that I wasn't doing that myself.  I did keep hoping in all the scenes they showed on the news where people were waiting online outside the theatre, that someone would walk by and say "Wow, what an ending! Who would have thought Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker’s father!” 

Whenever I am in a grocery store and there are several lines, I look for a line with mostly men and try to steer clear of lines with older people (and people with a bunch of kids from my own personal experience). Sad but true and it works more often than not.  

Apu: Mrs. Simpson, the express line is the fastest line not always.
That old man up front, he is starved for attention. He will talk
the cashier’s head off.
Apu: Let’s go to…that line.
Marge: But that’s the longest.
Apu: Yes, but look: all pathetic single men. Only cash, no chitchat.

Worst. episode. ever. Is used regularly in my house.

Sometimes when I see an item with a Made in America label I go "Made in America?! No thank you."

Whenever I go to Crossfit: Don't make me run. I'm full of chocolate. 

When I host a dinner party or any family event and am preparing a salad, I chant: You don't win friends with salad. You don't win friends with salad.

Edited by islandgal140
  • Love 1

I feel shame now that I wasn't doing that myself.  I did keep hoping in all the scenes they showed on the news where people were waiting online outside the theatre, that someone would walk by and say "Wow, what an ending! Who would have thought Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker’s father!” 

I, and this is a true story, recapped that scene to my children as we left the theater and put it in the context of what happened in the movie we just saw and how we could ruin it for people just like Homer did.

There is a new teacher at Springfield Elementary, and a captivated Bart tries everything to win her over. Meanwhile, Homer decides to buy a new brand of “milk,” which causes early puberty, both for Bart (augmenting his wooing powers) and Lisa (whose small bout with acne opens her up to the world of makeup and popularity).

I don't anything about the Silicon Valley show, but I still enjoyed the episode. Homer's side plot was weird but amusing if only for Marge to say 'cowabunga.' I know the point of the episodes were different, but I liked the South Park version a little better, but that only works because Butters was the one doing the filtering. 

I got one of my female students into coding and she put herself through one of the coding academies though!

Sportsnet Stats pointed out on twitter yesterday that after yesterday's Hall of Fame voting, Ken Griffey Jr. joins Wade Boggs & Ozzie Smith from Springfield Nuclear Power Plant softball roster to make the Hall of Fame.  

I kept thinking that its great that he made the HOF after he got addicted to nerve tonic and developed extreme gigantism. 

• Love 3

I am with you on the couch gags. Far more effort is put into them than the actual episodes, which lately seemingly revolve around three things: junior hipster Lisa, Marge and Homer marital troubles, and for some strange reason, Elon Musk.

I exaggerate of course, but they may as well revolve solely around those three specific topics because nothing else they do is any more memorable.

I do have to disagree with you assessment of the latest couch gag. It looks just as long, boring and pointless as any of the other couch gags of recent vintage.

As a vegetarian, I use this exchange with my family (who humor my madness) all the time at seafood joints and steakhouses:

Waiter: I’m sorry, ma’am, but everything on the menu has fish in it.

Marge: What about the bread, does that have much fish in it?

Waiter: Yes.

Marge: Well, I have some tic-tacs in my purse.

Waiter: Excellent choice.

I was watching part of the New Year's FXX marathon, and during one of the (new-ish) episodes, I heard Mayor Quimby cheerfully announcing some good news for the town by saying something like, "Now Springfield need no longer be known as 'America's Shame,' " and the crowd cheered. I thought that was pretty funny.

Edited by Peace 47

If I won Powerball, I'd fund an entire season of this to be like the version in this couch gag. I know it was supposed to parody Miami Vice & Scarface, but like others said, it's very reminiscent of Moonbeam City (very underrated).

Heh, a teacher that Bart AND Lisa would fall in love with. And, you know, every adult in Springfield. Even Nelson's missing dad...and Patty. The love triangle that formed between Bart & Skinner was...weird. As weird as seeing Homer with a chin. But the end where they reconcile was kind of nice.

Without all the makeup, Fancy Lisa looked pretty good. Then she went back to wearing the lampshade dress like God intended.

I loved how there was a court date for Maggie. What the hell did SHE do?

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1

I enjoyed the couch gag -- Marge looked kind of hot.

Who played Carol the teacher ?  Because I thought the voice acting for that character was terrible.  Was that Sofia Vergara ?  I missed the closing credits.

Are they sure it was hormones in the milk ?  Was it only it that brand of milk -- or all milk ?  Are they sure there wasn't some Vitamin 'R' in that milk ?  Maybe there were too many hormones in the milking rats.

I liked that Groundskeeper Willie's name on the blackboard when he was substitute teaching was 'Mr. Willie'.  So is Willie his last name, or his first name ---- or both ?  </snark>

Lisa (to Carol): "How many hospitals did you help build ?"

Carol: "Negative 3"

Was it really the hormones in the "milk" or was it the transuranic elements in it ?  Neptunium, Plutonium, Americium, Curium, Berkelium, Californium and some mystery element that the symbol was a skull.

ETA:  Hah, I completely missed the fact that Doc Brown and Marty McFly were in the bar scene at Moe's tavern in the couch gag.

Also, loved that Homer/Kaz had a humongous cell phone while standing on the couch in that one scene -- it was huge !!

The display on the couch arm included: cushion velocity, couch spring density and ottoman impacts scale and speed (the couch was doing 96 mph).  And the fastest setting was 'Max Power'.

In the scene with Flanders in a jail cell:

• Wiggum was surprisingly thinner than the normal character
  • There was a wanted poster for a decent cup of coffee
  • 'Thou must kill forgive Bart Simpson' scrawled into the wall, with the word 'kill' crossed out.
  • Flander's tattoos consisted of Hi-Diddily-Ho Neighboureeno (and yes, Neighboureeno was spelled with a 'u'), Born to Pray, The God Squad, Bless This Mess, and a Jesus fish.
  • To Do list on the wall -- 1. Do Time, 2. Get Ripped, 3. Destroy Simpson, 4. <something> papers

According to the TV in the diner, it was breaking news that a jaundice epidemic was sweeping Miami (which explains why everyone was yellow, I guess).  Signs on the diner wall for 'The Mystery Meat Burger' (Who knows What You'll Get), and to try the Lips, Eyes, Testicles, Intestines + Hooves in a Bap (freshly made).

The couch's name was Chaise Long. Hah!

In the last scene, Homer was at the kitchen table reading Thing Magazine (that Marge referred to earlier in the episode) - and the cover story was "Last Issue.  No Longer" which was probably Last Issue. No Longer in print.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

Sanjay passes his stake in the Kwik-E-Mart to his millennial son, Jay, who turns it into a hip, health food market against Apu’s insistence on tradition. Bart, whom Homer had convinced to give up pranking, is called upon to return to his trickster life and take down the new store.

After Bart accidentally sends a sweet homeless woman's cart into the river, he allows her to live in his closet for a small fee. When Lisa discovers that the woman is an incredible folk singer, she offers her own closet and plans a concert, only to be disappointed by Hettie's surprising substance abuse and violent nature. Meanwhile Homer tries to prove he's handy, but accidentally traps the cat in the walls of the house.

Jay is little Jamshed...who somehow grew up in real time. (I've been playing Tapped Out and they explain this). I miss the kid that pulled the shotgun on bullies, Millennial Jay is someone I want to punch in the face...even though he's more business savvy than I am. I hate my generation sometimes (even though I'm older than him). I did like that both Apu and Jay called each other out for being the stereotypes that they are.

I love that the highest scratch-off payout in Kwik-E-Mart history was $25. Makes a lot of sense. I loved how Wolowitz was the dud of the Big Bang Theory scratch off.

Bart watching Clockwork Orange at 5 also makes sense. Explains the Halloween costume.

"Mount Rushmore: Not in Chronological Order!" Someone finally says it!

"If I don't do these pranks soon, when I'm older they'll be crimes!" Hell, Bart technically committed a crime NOW. Well, what he did led to property damage, but still. I did like how he went back to non-pranks like moving his lips without speaking to drive Grampa crazy. I wish we saw more of Milhouse being Springfield's new Bad Boy, but at least Bart used his pranking for good again.

"We are still alive! There is a gods!" We got actual character development for Sanjay for the first time in...ever. Seriously. This is it in 27 seasons.

All in all, I really liked this one!

I still can't get the image of the new statue of Jebediah Springfield giving that little boy a coupon for Luigi's that he literally pulled out of his ass. 

I actually liked the episode too, I had forgotten how cute little Jamshed was when he pulled out that shotgun back in the day. I too play Tapped Out so the explanation of Jamshed growing up in real time kinda makes sense. I guess. 

Bart's temporary departure from pranking did give us a glimpse of his higher grades on tests (a B+ !), His Most Improved certificate from Juvenile Court and his "Only 3 Tardies" trophy. Hee! And of course his re-tagging the rebuilt Kwik E Mart with El Barto. 

Oh and I also loved when Homer and Lisa carried on their conversation about Lisa's imaginary friend Rachel's turbulent life through Bart's bedroom wall while Bart just lay there waiting for them to finish. So random, so funny. :-) 

Please please please tell me the 'hot massage stones' gag was a Temple of Doom callback. Because that was a brilliant pay off to the initial joke in the restaurant. 

I can totally see Homer being invested in Rachel's life. 

I actually liked the episode too, I had forgotten how cute little Jamshed was when he pulled out that shotgun back in the day. I too play Tapped Out so the explanation of Jamshed growing up in real time kinda makes sense. I guess. 

Jay is little Jamshed...who somehow grew up in real time. (I've been playing Tapped Out and they explain this).

I don't play Tapped Out, so how did Jamshed grow up so quickly ?  I'm a little curious.

I love that the highest scratch-off payout in Kwik-E-Mart history was $25. Makes a lot of sense. I loved how Wolowitz was the dud of the Big Bang Theory scratch off.

Bart watching Clockwork Orange at 5 also makes sense. Explains the Halloween costume.

"Mount Rushmore: Not in Chronological Order!" Someone finally says it!

All in all, I really liked this one!

That did amuse me that $25 was the biggest payout sold there.  Until Apu scratched the big winner.

Watching A Clockwork Orange messes with anyone, let alone if you saw it at age 5.  I liked Homer's explanation.

Homer: "I never should have bought that Clockwork Orange video for his 5th birthday. I thought it would help him tell time. And now I've awoken a monster."

Apu was reading a copy of Playdude -- Girls of Broken Homes edition.

Signs seen at the new Quick and Fresh -- Free-Range Chick Peas, Lettuce Bathed Hourly, Swiss Army Cheese, Cruelty-Free Carrots.

Seen in the flashback to Apu's lottery scratching days: "Play the Springfield Lottery. Become a Millionaire without having to sue someone!"

Giving Up Magazine with Moe on the cover -- NBC Goes to 4 Nights a Week.  That was the last issue ever.

That was funny.

Mr. Teenie reading the Springfield shopper with the headline "Monkeys Dirtier than Ever" while basking in the soup tureen.

Overall, a nice little episode.

I don't play Tapped Out, so how did Jamshed grow up so quickly ?

Here is the dialog in the game:

Lisa: You look a little…older that I remember.

Jay: Yeah, doing a full course load at Wharton while mopping floors in a bank all night will do that to a kid.

Lisa: Hmmmm…nobody around here ever seems to age.

Comic Book Guy: I credit clean living.  And yes, I said that without a trace of self-reflective irony.

I too remember little Jay pulling the gun, so it was cool to see him.

Everytime I hear Manjula talk, it makes me sad Jan Hooks is no longer around to voice her.

• Love 2

Here is the dialog in the game:

Lisa: You look a little…older that I remember.

Jay: Yeah, doing a full course load at Wharton while mopping floors in a bank all night will do that to a kid.

Lisa: Hmmmm…nobody around here ever seems to age.

Comic Book Guy: I credit clean living.  And yes, I said that without a trace of self-reflective irony.

I too remember little Jay pulling the gun, so it was cool to see him.

Everytime I hear Manjula talk, it makes me sad Jan Hooks is no longer around to voice her.

Thanks @xander874

• Love 1